A Healer's Pet Peeve about Kolto Stations

I play a lot of healers and a lot of tanks, I like playing supportive and protective roles in games because it makes me feel like I offer a good service to my fellow players. But frankly I don't care at all when people use the kolto stations. They're only present in certain areas, and sometimes it's really helpful for people to take the initiative to use them on their own so I don't have to scramble for them if things are going sideways.

I've also played as DPS, and it peeves me in return when I'm getting below 50% on health so I use the kolto and the healer tells me to mind my role. The kolto stations are there for everyone to use as needed. If they were healer-specific, no one but the appointed healer would be able to use them. But they're not.

You don't need to get offended when people use the kolto stations on a boss fight. You'll be pulling your weight healing them the rest of the time as it is, and if everyone is topped off you can use that time to do a bit of DPS yourself to make the fight a little faster. SWTOR's "dungeon" finder is unique in the fact that a group can be comprised of any combination of classes/roles- its group makeup isn't set in stone, and each group can have a monumentally different set of needs/approaches/etiquettes based on who's in it.

All roles can be expected to heal/tank/dps regardless of what they queued as, in certain situations, so I don't think it's fair to bemoan people for using the kolto stations- I think it's less that they don't trust you, and more that they are trying to assist and make the flashpoint go as smoothly as possible regardless of what class they are or what group they're in.

Edited by SourOrange

If we don't have a healer, I try to assign a ranged dps kolto duty (so they can park next to one and don't have to move in order to activate it).

If I'm healing, I will try to remind the team that healing is my responsibility and that I will hit the kolto if my regular healing isn't enough... doesn't always stop panic clicks, but c'est la vie.

my pet peeve about them is sheer amount people that been play the game for years that have no clue how they work....

Kolta stations are wasted if person with 90% of there health gets it vs person with 25% health get is the less person health is the more HP the station will restore, last i checked

Edited by Kyuuu

my pet peeve about them is sheer amount people that been play the game for years that have no clue how they work....

Kolta stations are wasted if person with 90% of there health gets it vs person with 25% health get is the less person health is the more HP the station will restore, last i checked

Clicker gets the most (if memory serves) but the whole group gets a lot of health back. They're a good safety net if there's no actual healer in the group, but often completely unnecessary in a halfway decent trinity group.

Clicker gets the most (if memory serves) but the whole group gets a lot of health back. They're a good safety net if there's no actual healer in the group, but often completely unnecessary in a halfway decent trinity group.

Correct. The clicker gets a large instant heal and maybe some heal over time while the others get just the heal over time which is generally why I don't do it myself if someone gets low.

One thing I've noticed lately is some are completely unaware of who else is running to Kolto and sometimes someone in my group will go for the same one I am when I need it badly and they don't need it at all. I usually get enough back to where I'm ok but that's not always the case.

I think some people assume the Kolto stations are the healers job but anyone can click on them, not just the healers. I recall a particular FP, let's call it Kuat, and a particular Boss fight, let's call it the Jedi. I was on an Op and we had three other DPS and somehow we just kept wiping 3 or 4 times. I decided to swap to heals to help out and one group member says for a lower-health player not to hit the Kolto which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I believe that person is one of those that assumes the Statiosn are the healer's responsibility which would be the only logical reason he/she called me a bad healer despite one-shotting the boss after I switched.

maybe your taking this too personal? maybe they are doing it to make your job easier and let you concentrate on the tank? played lots mmo's and its always good practice to make the healers job as easy as possible

That's a good point, but if the healer is fully capable of keeping everyone's health up or the fight isn't that difficult, it's not necessary to hit them so often to the point of making the healer's job completely pointless. I've been in groups like that as a healer so I just start DPSing when things like that happen but I still watch their health.

Edited by darkapprentice

When I'm healing a Veteran Flashpoint I focus on DPS more than healing. My Operative only has so much energy so If people are overusing the Kolto tanks that's fine, it heals quickly and lets me focus my energy on backstabbing and pistol whipping the boss!

But seriously, I don't care that someone uses a tool designed for them to use, it's like getting upset if someone has an imperfect rotation - as long as we don't wipe because of it there's no use getting upset over it!

There is one thing, however, that has started to bug me. The way players use kolto stations.

Which brings me to the pet peeve. I understand using the kolto stations when I flub something up and people come close to dying, and I understand using them during bosses with a particularly rough damaging phase. But even when no one in my group has dropped below 80% for the entirety of the boss fight, and in some cases where the group is actually at 95% and above, some people just keep spamming the kolto stations.

Why? Am I missing something? Wouldn't it be better for them, as dps (because it's usually the dps), to just keep killing to boss, and let me worry about the healing?

Or is the healer supposed to just dps the whole time and let the dps heal the group with kolto stations?

I just don't get it.

Below is for me as DPS or Tank:

When I do flashpoints, whenever I can, and my health goes lower then 90% I will use my healing ability, if I have one, or some damage reductions as possible. When health goes down below 60% I surely get mad at any healer, and surely I will run to a kolto if I see one. I have seen way to often, I group up with a Sage (its always Sages), who was marked as a Healer, but actually only does DPS. Yeah surely, once the fight is over he or she heals me up as an excuse. I do out-of-combat healing on all characters (some people don't know this at level level 60 ***?), so thank you very much for healing me after the fight. I always start a new fight at 100%, if someone else starts a fight, while I'm not ready, well good luck, I don't care (in 95% this is irrelevant). So, I always wanne be super solid/defensive, getting in the best way I can, so I don't spend 40k or 2 times heroic2 for nothing. I don't trust healers, I don't trust tanks, I don't trust mechanics. Often I'm at 90% at end of fight where all my team mates are down, its also why I sometimes throw a heal at my team mates. Guess why.

Edited by Lupolus

As a healer main endgame-focused player, I have discovered a simple solution to this.

Are you ready?

Are you sure?

**** flashpoints run ops/pvp all day

FP pugs are a melting pot of all the AIDS in the game, concentrated down into 3 players. Running a healer in a vet flashpoints is just a great way to be discouraged from ever healing.

As a healer main endgame-focused player, I have discovered a simple solution to this.

Are you ready?

Are you sure?

FP pugs are a melting pot of all the AIDS in the game, concentrated down into 3 players. Running a healer in a vet flashpoints is just a great way to be discouraged from ever healing.

You have an awesome signature, sir

It is one of my pet peeves as well.

I wouldn't say it is common, usually people are content to let you do your trinity role. Some are even thankful to finally be paired with a healer.

Every now and then however you get a group with that one player who is so used to solo content with his OP healbot companion that he panics whenever his health dips below 90% and spams kolto. It's frustrating not only because he's overreacting and in so doing trying to perform your role instead of DPSing, but it often results in you throwing away abilities because that kolto spam is usually paired with you hitting him with a now wasted heal.

If players are going to kolto spam they should say so prior to a boss fight so the healer knows that he or she is dealing with a panic-prone DPS who apparently prefers off-healing to his actual spec. That way the actual healer can DPS for the actual DPS who likes to abandon his trinity role to frantically run from kolto station to kolto station.

I was in a vet FP not too long ago that had two healers in the queue, and one of the DPS was still frantically spamming the kolto whenever his health hit 95% until told by the other healer (I was DPSing and throwing out the rare off heal when needed) to stop. He had two people that could top him up and he was still running for kolto anytime he took damage.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

Take them out if a healer is present, seriously.

No healer worth anything can fail at any flashpoint content, with a couple very specific master mode fights being a little tougher.

No "good" healer will fail, period.

DPS and tanks should not be hitting these heal stations, just hit the goddamned boss.

Seriously.

It is probably my biggest pet peeve in the game, especially when I am winding up a big heal on someone, ive got them, and they panic mode and fastclick because they dont trust their healer.

its just stupid AND for those with less experience as healers, it takes away from learning how to manage in the clutch.

Stations in vet mode make learning the class nearly impossible outside of Master mode, where the crutch no longer exists.

There are some vet runs I do where i just give up healing entirely and just overload shot the bosses because some click happy marauder moron needs my DPS just to get the fight over with.

A dps healing, and a healer dpsing. Makes total sense.

Are you ready?

Are you sure?

I only pug FPS because its better than soloing most of them, takes too long (hammer vet takes me 30 minutes or so but I can do it alone). Healer + comp can solo almost every vet mode FP, and even a couple Master modes. But why do that when you can pug up some free deeps, i guess?

:( How there is so much fail among players in this game baffles me, especially when you get that pug group that wants to go mega slow and deliberate, when you yourself could aggro three trash spawns worth of NPCs and probably kill them before the other three even managed to kill a gold.

Edited by rylanadionysis

I can only think of two bosses where I don't mind other people hitting the koltos.

1 - the droid in Korriban Incursion (someone invariably runs out of my healing range during the big AoEs, usually the one who needs the most healing).

2 - Ortuno (but only when he does Electric Eruption)

... ok, maybe add Jos & Valk to that list because of how bad my lag gets in Blood Hunt, so three bosses out of the whole game.

... no, wait, Taral V bonus boss if we don't have a tank, because by that point everyone else just wants the mission to be over already so the "they don't trust me" is less painful than the alternative.

I can only think of two bosses where I don't mind other people hitting the koltos.

1 - the droid in Korriban Incursion (someone invariably runs out of my healing range during the big AoEs, usually the one who needs the most healing).

2 - Ortuno (but only when he does Electric Eruption)

... ok, maybe add Jos & Valk to that list because of how bad my lag gets in Blood Hunt, so three bosses out of the whole game.

... no, wait, Taral V bonus boss if we don't have a tank, because by that point everyone else just wants the mission to be over already so the "they don't trust me" is less painful than the alternative.

99 percent of the time Ortuno damage is their own fault though. Probes + a few top offs is all anything but the tank ever needs if they dont stand in stupid.

=/

Amazes me to this day, how the same people that have founder tags and so on, still dont understand basic mechanics.

Come to think of it, even the four you listed are mostly player made mistakes vs real healchecks. Off the top of my head the only FP "healchecks" are knowing when to cleanse, such as with Tunneler and the droid guy in Tython. (even korriban incursion is all about moving away from circles).

Blows my mind man. But if the team wipes, I promise you its the healer's fault.

But seriously, I don't care that someone uses a tool designed for them to use, it's like getting upset if someone has an imperfect rotation - as long as we don't wipe because of it there's no use getting upset over it!

THIS^ and only this. WHO CARES????? :)

Seriously folks, it's tactical. If you want to heal a group do MM. Tactical is for new players to learn their class and the FP. Help them. Don't freak because they run to the K tank when their health drops to 98%. Just finish the tactical.

Seriously folks, it's tactical. If you want to heal a group do MM.

That is a really bad advice. What is a healer supposed to do, when he isn't Level 70? If i follow your advice, i can't do group content until i hit 50. And that's only if a MM-GF-Group is accepting the pop. Most of the time at least one person declines when a lvl 50 is a potential teammate.

In tacticals nobody wants a tank, nobody needs a healer, because both roles slow down the process for the super fast lvl70. At the same time, everybody is complaining that there are no tanks and healers for endgame. foresight.

Seriously folks, it's tactical. If you want to heal a group do MM. Tactical is for new players to learn their class and the FP. Help them. Don't freak because they run to the K tank when their health drops to 98%. Just finish the tactical.

That only holds water if you assume every healer in every tactical ever is a lvl 70 and in no need of learning how to heal properly. The tiny healers need and surely want to learn their class too. :p

There's nothing wrong with a little trust and using Koltos only for emergencies if there's a healer in your group.

Except veteran flashpoints are also a place for healers to learn how to manage their class in a group setting, before jumping on to harder content like MM FPs or Ops. Vet FPs aren't just a place for DPS to learn how to play. I learned how to play my Sage that way. New healers aren't going to be able to do that if one or more DPS is insisting on being an off-healer instead of DPSing like he or she should.

I agree that it's not a major issue and it's better to just get the flashpoint over with than arguing with your group members, but they're not wrong in venting on this forum that is both annoying, and an example of a DPS panicking and abandoning their trinity role to off heal because god forbid their health drops below 95%.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

yeah, so stop spamming those damn things when there's a healer in group so they can learn their class too.

Ok ok chill. I said you can learn from tacticals. Also you're not going to be only fighting boss w/ k tanks. The trash in tacticals will help you learn. I'm saying if you get to the point where you can't stand players spamming the tanks do MM. They're not the big scary obstacle you think they are. Ok maybe the SOR ones.

EDIT: If fact, if you have a good tank in MM... they are actually easier than tactical. :cool:

And I personally never touch the k tanks unless the extreme happens and one of my healers is also the tank. Yikes. :eek:

I'm also on Harbie so MM FP pops do happen. TRE and EH are ok for MM pops. Mondays aren't so good after Conquest is over.

2 years ago I was scared to death to try healing. Everything is the healer's fault and it's so much harder than any other class. Well, that's not true. I love it now and both my Imp main and Pub main are healers. Except Operative healers. You people are gods. Dang that's an awkward class for heals. :p

Edited by Zerileth

Ok ok chill. I said you can learn from tacticals. Also you're not going to be only fighting boss w/ k tanks. The trash in tacticals will help you learn. I'm saying if you get to the point where you can't stand players spamming the tanks do MM. They're not the big scary obstacle you think they are. Ok maybe the SOR ones.

EDIT: If fact, if you have a good tank in MM... they are actually easier than tactical. :cool:

And I personally never touch the k tanks unless the extreme happens and one of my healers is also the tank. Yikes. :eek:

I'm also on Harbie so MM FP pops do happen. TRE and EH are ok for MM pops. Mondays aren't so good after Conquest is over.

2 years ago I was scared to death to try healing. Everything is the healer's fault and it's so much harder than any other class. Well, that's not true. I love it now and both my Imp main and Pub main are healers. Except Operative healers. You people are gods. Dang that's an awkward class for heals. :p

Operative/Smuggler Healing isn't that difficult to learn. I have had both since launch and most of the time you just need to pay attention to what you are doing. I love my smuggler/operative healers and actually enjoy healing on those.

• 1 month later...