Returning player pvp questions

waslaf

Hey all,

ive left the game during season 9 (so over a year ago) because it seemed to nether end and there was no new content. I returned about a month ago without sub and resubbed recently. First of all there is new gear and im still in 248 with 236 augs (i nether bothered to upgrade to 240), do i have to upgrade from that? Second thing is i used to play Vanguard/PT tank in dps build (and appearently ended up in silver tier in season 9): is that still the way to go or do i have to build an other gear? upgrading this gear beyond 248 seems hard anyway since the mods are bound to a gearslot. My other classes are merc and sin (both burst spec), were there any significant changes to them? Also is ranked q still active at all? ive mainly been around on rep side lately and ranked was far less a thing there as i remember it but ive not seen a single person trying to find a group for teamranked for example in the past weeks. Last point: are there any active pvp guilds left in the game? i dont recognise most of the guilds around...

thx for answers :D

Hey all,

ive left the game during season 9 (so over a year ago) because it seemed to nether end and there was no new content. I returned about a month ago without sub and resubbed recently. First of all there is new gear and im still in 248 with 236 augs (i nether bothered to upgrade to 240), do i have to upgrade from that?

@248 you are in pretty good shape (for regs - although I see you mention ranked below - see below :D ). I would recommend going through the ossus story (few hours time) and then running the "flesh and steel" mission (kill the 2 world bosses - always groups forming for this, just watch for it in general chat on ossus). That will get you the "252" level main hand. Currently, the main hand slot is the only thing that doesn't bolster. Everything else bolsters to 252. Augments (even having no augments) bolster to 236 level. Having no augment is equivalent to having 236 mastery augs.

Just for info... I went through the pain of getting full 258 gear on my infilt shadow w/240 augs. I have a mirror decepti-sin that has 252 main hand and 230 level gear w/228 augs for the rest. I set them both at the same level alac and crit. Comparing stats (in WZ, so bolstered) the difference is about 6-7% increase in "damage" and "bonus damage" numbers on my sheet. About +5.0% health, and +2.0% damage reduction from armor.. (I also had a +3% accuracy, because I had some accuracy in my default 258 gear that I did not swap out.)

Second thing is i used to play Vanguard/PT tank in dps build (and appearently ended up in silver tier in season 9): is that still the way to go or do i have to build an other gear?

I can't comment on tank spec. DPS spec PT is currently top #1 target in ranked, because they are the class with the worst DCDs. But that's probably not very helpful... sorry. :(

upgrading this gear beyond 248 seems hard anyway since the mods are bound to a gearslot.

I learned recently that you can actually buy gear for any class, you just have to change the dropdown on the vendor interface to say you want to. Then (I'm told, I didn't do this), say you want to ditch the accuracy on your hand-slot gear - you should be able to find some other class's hand-slot gear that has power/crit (or whatever you want) and buy that. Then you can swap out the mods/enhances, and it still works because it's gloves-to-gloves swap.

But yeah, that means you have to buy gloves twice. But since you have a tank, you are already used to that, right? Because tanks have always had to buy the "Tank" gear for the set bonus, and then the DPS gear to get rid of the stupid shield/absorb/defense that was in all the tank gear. :p

My other classes are merc and sin (both burst spec), were there any significant changes to them?

I don't know when season 9 was. Currently DPS merc is considered the top class, period. DPS sins are kinda middle.

Also is ranked q still active at all? ive mainly been around on rep side lately and ranked was far less a thing there as i remember it but ive not seen a single person trying to find a group for teamranked for example in the past weeks. Last point: are there any active pvp guilds left in the game? i dont recognise most of the guilds around...

thx for answers :D

Team ranked is mostly dead from what I hear. Solo ranked is going (at least on star forge), and it's cross faction now (in case you didn't know that) - so pub or imp side doesn't matter.

BTW, if you are going to do solo ranked, and you are in 248 gear, ppl will see that and figure that in when deciding who to focus first. The perception being (right or wrong) that since you haven't done any of the latest gear progression, then you are probably new and an easy kill.

Well thanks for the answers. Im on Darth Malgus completely forgot to mention. Does bolster still apply to ranked? If yes that shouldn't be much of a problem. Cross-q is something ive heard they wanted to do but I left bedore it actually came into the live version. I am used to having to mix gear but that was pretty easy for 248 gear since I leveled in dps spec so I had the mods and enhancements and then just opened lvl. 300 crates in tank spec until I had 248 tank set. Since you have to buy the new gear with some crystals and also need some reputation for the new planet I dont have thats gonna be a fcking grind. So guess I will try with my old gear first.