New massive initiative to request translation of SWTOR into Spanish and help the game

baluarte

At the beginning of SWTOR, the Hispanic community was promised that the game would be translated into Spanish. This never happened and many players who waited for the translation to enter the game, never bought it, despite being fans of Star Wars and the Old Republic. :mad:

Now, many years later, the game reduces its population on servers and the Hispanic Community continues to hope for its translation.

Only the game interface and the subtitles, is what the community asked for. Something that many members of the community would do willingly, totally free.

We recently opened a petition in Change.ORG asking for this, and in a short time we have 400 signatures of players interested in entering SWTOR and this will continue to rise.

With hundreds of new subscriptions, the game would have more chances of surviving more years.

The investment in translating interface and subtitles is not so great and for that reason, we ask that the position of SWTOR be reconsidered on retaking this theme, long requested by the fans.

Change.ORG

Official Website of the Proposal

• Sad 1

Al comienzo de SWTOR, se le prometió a la comunidad hispana que el juego se traduciría al español. Esto nunca sucedió y muchos jugadores que esperaron la traducción para ingresar al juego, nunca lo compraron, a pesar de ser fanáticos de Star Wars y la Antigua República.

Ahora, muchos años después, el juego reduce su población en servidores y la comunidad hispana continúa esperando su traducción.

Solo la interfaz del juego y los subtítulos, es lo que la comunidad solicitó. Algo que muchos miembros de la comunidad harían voluntariamente, totalmente gratis.

Hace poco abrimos una petición en Change.ORG solicitando esto, y en poco tiempo tenemos 400 firmas de jugadores interesados ​​en ingresar a SWTOR y esto seguirá aumentando.

Con cientos de nuevas suscripciones, el juego tendría más posibilidades de sobrevivir más años.

La inversión en la traducción de la interfaz y los subtítulos no es tan buena y por eso, pedimos que se reconsidere la posición de SWTOR al retomar este tema, solicitado por los fanáticos durante mucho tiempo.

Change.ORG

Fixed it for Ya! And I support this.

The job is larger than you think, and raises the cost of future development.

SWTOR has something in excess of a quarter of a million lines of spoken dialogue whose subtitles would need to be translated, to say nothing of updating some of the Aurebesh(1) script, notably on the galaxy map when you click once on a destination. (The name of the destination is written in Earth-language script for us to read, but also in Aurebesh for "flavour", and the names of the destination are subject to translation, e.g. Alderaan becomes Aldérande in French. The Aurebesh transliterations match the Earth-language versions.)

Some of those lines, obviously, are highly idiomatic, and translating that is not an easy job. At least SWTOR doesn't have the problem that Guild Wars 2 has, where some of the lines are also jokes or word-play. Example: One of the "unbreakable" mining tools is a small Asura golem that sometimes makes remarks when told to mine metals. One of these is a word-play on the similarity in the sound of "ore" (unrefined metal-bearing minerals) and "Orr" (a region of the game). In French, a literal translation of "ore" would be "minérai", which would make the joke fail utterly, so they had to rewrite it to talk about gold, in French, "or", which does sound like "Orr".

So it's a big job, and there are enough complications that it should be done by professional translators (i.e. not crowdsourced from random people on the Internet) who are native Spanish-speakers. This is a general requirement for translation - the best translations are done by native speakers of the *target* language who are also fluent in the source language. It's why I get asked to translate text at work. The company is French - and my office is in France - while I'm English, and so people ask me to help with French-to-English translation(2).

(1) The major in-game writing system, although Zakuul, reasonably enough, doesn't use it. Much of the writing on Thexan's, Arcann's, and Vaylin's clothing appears to be just Futhark runes (in some cases mirrored right/left, sometimes top/bottom).

(2) That's translation of the written word. I have done a very small amount of parallel translation *to* French of the spoken word - I gave a running rendition in voice chat of the essential points in one of the livestreams for my guildies. That was *hard*, and taught me to give the guys who do it for the UN and similar a great deal of respect.

It is clear that SWTOR is living its last time. The population goes down constantly and this investment can represent their last hope.

Complex? Of course it is complex, but when the alternative is to disappear.

Edited by baluarte

Of course, that bringing the option that the third most spoken language of the internet, you have a large group of players that would help not to lower the benefits.

Now, it is clear that if one does not change the course, in the end, it ends up arriving where it is going.

Ignoring the Hispanic community has not helped in the past, continue to deny it, deny the future, if that is what you want, keep locked in your idea and we will play other MMOs.

It is clear that SWTOR is living its last time. The population goes down constantly and this investment can represent their last hope.

Complex? Of course it is complex, but when the alternative is to disappear.

You completely missed the key point. It's complex, sure, but it's also a BIG job, and therefore *expensive*.

And I think you overestimate the amount that could be gained by doing it. If a translation of in-game text to Spanish is really the only thing that can save the game, then let it die.

I don't say that out of xenophobic spite, mind you. It doesn't matter which not-current language you talk about, if that is the only thing that could save the game - if all "no translations" scenarios end in the game dying and (some) "yes translations" scenarios leave it surviving - then it has passed its sell-by date and should be allowed to go quietly to the Great Server Room in the Sky.

There are other ways they could spend the price of that translation effort, and it's pretty much certain that those ways could have a greater effect on the survival of the game.

You completely missed the key point. It's complex, sure, but it's also a BIG job, and therefore *expensive*.

And I think you overestimate the amount that could be gained by doing it. If a translation of in-game text to Spanish is really the only thing that can save the game, then let it die.

I don't say that out of xenophobic spite, mind you. It doesn't matter which not-current language you talk about, if that is the only thing that could save the game - if all "no translations" scenarios end in the game dying and (some) "yes translations" scenarios leave it surviving - then it has passed its sell-by date and should be allowed to go quietly to the Great Server Room in the Sky.

There are other ways they could spend the price of that translation effort, and it's pretty much certain that those ways could have a greater effect on the survival of the game.

Do not worry I'm not offended, but I do not share your opinion.

Warcraft takes more years and although its population has also dropped, it remains much more constant and survives over the years.

They do not make large investments, but they are constantly including new languages, some minor ones and therefore they gain new populations of players who enjoy the old content as if it were new.

I think you underestimate the importance of opening new markets (something that any international company does today).

Improve the game for the current population? No doubt, that is important, but that will not help the game does not die.

If you prefer that the game die, before it is translated, the best thing you can do is give way to who wants to bet on the game. That we are many.

Improve the game for the current population? No doubt, that is important, but that will not help the game does not die.

If you prefer that the game die, before it is translated, the best thing you can do is give way to who wants to bet on the game. That we are many.

I want to bet on the game, for sure. I just don't see how it will help to spend money on a translation effort. If it sucks so much that only a translation can save it (and only maybe even then), then it should be allowed to fade away.

But it *doesn't* suck that much, and it *can* be fixed. The most important thing is that it needs this big list of actual game and story mechanical things fixed and above all it needs Electronic Arts and Bioware to *show* that they care about it succeeding. Currently, I'm not really seeing that. Sure, a translation like the one you would like can help to show that they care, but there are other things that are more important because they help *all* of the players to see that care.

Key point: I don't oppose the translation in and of itself. I *do* oppose it taking priority over these other things.

At the beginning of SWTOR, the Hispanic community was promised that the game would be translated into Spanish. This never happened and many players who waited for the translation to enter the game, never bought it, despite being fans of Star Wars and the Old Republic. :mad:

Now, many years later, the game reduces its population on servers and the Hispanic Community continues to hope for its translation.

Only the game interface and the subtitles, is what the community asked for. Something that many members of the community would do willingly, totally free.

We recently opened a petition in Change.ORG asking for this, and in a short time we have 400 signatures of players interested in entering SWTOR and this will continue to rise.

With hundreds of new subscriptions, the game would have more chances of surviving more years.

The investment in translating interface and subtitles is not so great and for that reason, we ask that the position of SWTOR be reconsidered on retaking this theme, long requested by the fans.

Change.ORG

While I fully support your initiative here and I agree, if there were a lot of Spanish speaking people who would than join the game in mass that would be a great boon to the game for all the reasons you sited.

My only question is, if it was only the "in game" things that were converted into Spanish, how would that allow Spanish speaking only persons to interact with all the other players, most of which wouldn't be Spanish speaking?

Basically that would, I imagine, bar them to a degree from group content unless the Spanish speaking players all played among themselves.

End game and group content largely go hand in hand unless your just a strictly solo player. In WZs, Operations, FPs, Uprisings, etc, communication among the players in the group is often an essential aspect of being successful at clearing the more difficult content.

The irony here is that the game has a whole server devoted to French and German speaking people, whereas Spanish is one of the most in use languages around the world. Certainly more than French and German speakers I would think. Plus, it's a 'European server' & the last time I checked a map Spain was still in Europe =p

Just some things you might consider going forward in considering your strategies for greater inclusion in the game for Spanish speakers.

Best of Luck to you and your cause. I hope it works out and receives the consideration it deserves.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

Right now, what the game needs is a good expansion. It needs a good 6.0 and every single effort needs to focus on 6.0 and save the game. If the 6.0 is the success SWTOR needs, then we can talk about translation. However, I personally think it's too late for that. Translating the game to spanish right now will be practically useless. Also, for personal experience, I tend to avoid spanish community. And I'm spanish, so that's that. Edited by Breech

While I fully support your initiative here and I agree, if there were a lot of Spanish speaking people who would than join the game in mass that would be a great boon to the game for all the reasons you sited.

My only question is, if it was only the "in game" things that were converted into Spanish, how would that allow Spanish speaking only persons to interact with all the other players, most of which wouldn't be Spanish speaking?

Basically that would, I imagine, bar them to a degree from group content unless the Spanish speaking players all played among themselves.

End game and group content largely go hand in hand unless your just a strictly solo player. In WZs, Operations, FPs, Uprisings, etc, communication among the players in the group is often an essential aspect of being successful at clearing the more difficult content.

The irony here is that the game has a whole server devoted to French and German speaking people, whereas Spanish is one of the most in use languages around the world. Certainly more than French and German speakers I would think. Plus, it's a 'European server' & the last time I checked a map Spain was still in Europe =p

Just some things you might consider going forward in considering your strategies for greater inclusion in the game for Spanish speakers.

Best of Luck to you and your cause. I hope it works out and receives the consideration it deserves.

Thanks friend.

Although many find it hard to imagine, a huge push of money for the massive entry of thousands of Spanish-speaking players, would help to invest more in the game, but this will not happen if it is not translated.

Edited by baluarte

Right now, what the game needs is a good expansion. It needs a good 6.0 and every single effort needs to focus on 6.0 and save the game. If the 6.0 is the success SWTOR needs, then we can talk about translation. However, I personally think it's too late for that. Translating the game to spanish right now will be practically useless. Also, for personal experience, I tend to avoid spanish community. And I'm spanish, so that's that.

I am also Spanish and I also know what I am talking about, and I will never finish understanding the attitude of some compatriots who sell their skin cheaply.

isn't the caption text just in a file somewhere? just cut and paste into google translate. add a tick box to make all captions in language X. Seems very minimal to me. With big benefits. Fully voiced in other languages would be great, but yes, expensive and time consuming makes it less likely to happen.

This petition should have been made *before* launch.

Having a couple of hundred people ask for it now is just... a waste of the energy it takes to keep that page available.

This request has been made many times.

And it is not a request, when the game was sold in Spain and in Latin America, we were promised that it would be translated after a few months or what is the same, we were cheated.

We do not have a couple of hundred, we have four hundred and other previous proposals had more than a thousand signatures.

I regularly encounter Spanish speaking players in my North American server. They're here, they put money into the game, just like I do... I don't think this is an unreasonable thing to ask for.

...yeah, it won't be cheap to do, but it should be done. I even understand (from reading previous requests of the same thing) that they're "ok" not having Spanish voice acting... so, they'd still be paying the same money for less game play. I've signed this.

This is not an unreasonable request by the original poster. Bioware and EA need to pay more attention to their "out of America fans." This Australasian player stands with you.

Te deseo suerte en esto. Que la fuerza esté con usted.

Hope that says what I think it does. Regardless I hope this petition succeeds.

Thanks to all for the support,

And to those who do not support the idea, we respect your reasons.

In any case, we represent a community of more than 400 players, who want to enter SWTOR and ask, please, to be heard.

We believe that we can economically help the game and for this reason we ask the administrators of the forum to raise our request and give us an answer to be able to inform these more than 400 players.

@Keith

@Eric

Our test is here CHANGE.ORG