Commando/Merc Dmg output is way too high considering the ease of play

AndriusAjax

Seriously. I just popped my head back into the game after a few months awal, to prep for the new expac, and the number of mercs/mandos is telling enough, let alone the ridiculous DPS they put up. I thought my PT and Jug at 3.5k was good, but 3 random f0ckres in a single wz had over 4k dps! So, i dusted my mando off and first wz i did (didnt even google a rotation - swear on my sweet grandmother's grave) i did 3.7k dps. Never ever played the s hi t before! How tf is that right? I just went arsenal and mashed, like, 6 or 7 buttons. Thats too gd easy. The output shouldnt be that high if the class is catered to mental midgets. Hopefully the new xpac puts them back in line. Im all for them getting a drop ability, but the sheer dmg they can put out is ludacris considering the 'rotation' (lol) and tactics involved. Edited by AndriusAjax

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah 4k+ dps on Merc is very good. Dont see that often, must be against not great players with too many healers. Fairly normal for what I see is 3- 3.5 k.

I mean how do you even have time to put out that dmg when you should have alway 2 dps on you ccing, bursting and chasing you around. Also wonder which server :)

And btw Madness sorcs doing 5-6 k pressing 4 buttons is hard ?? ;0

Hey,

first of all, I play all avanced classes in PvP as DPS. Most of them for burst, some like the Jugg and the Sniper for DoT. I still play the Sorc and the Sin as burst, eventhough many consider the DoT-version to be more powerful in PvP. I even agree but I just find that spec less fun to play.

I agree that the Merc is able to do a high burst. When it comes to overall-dps I find the Jugg and the PT a bit stronger though. The highest dps so far I could reach in a 8vs8 bg was with my Jugg above 5k (DoT-Spread!) , followed by my PT. As far as I remember I could never do much more than 4.5k with my Merc.

Maybe the Merc actually has the highest potential but usually you can never reach it. If people get attacked and killed by a Merc, most will start to chase him. In Arenas Mercs are often first target. Other than PT and Jugg, the Merc is very vulnerable to interrupts, stuns and doublefocus. He has only one stunbreak and no immunity abilities at all. If attacked, the Merc is forced to kite the attackers and start healing himself. This decreases his dps.

So facing a Merc, make him run and use all your control-abilities. Try to avoid the heatseeker missile by using Deffs or immunities like mad dash after he just used his tracer missile on you. When you get E-netted, either break the E-net or stand still and switch to a closer target. It makes no sense to slowly move in the direction of the Merc while the E-net slows you because in most cases you will not reach him until the E-net is gone. And when its gone you could use your gap-closer anyway.

The reason why I do more dps with PTs and Juggs is that Jugg and PT can ignore incoming damage and focus. They can just use their deffs and go through their rotation. They both have two stunbreakes (if using those utilities) and can become immune to stuns. As a PT, if your shoulder cannon is ready, you can probably achieve the highest dps on one target of all classes for a short time. As a Jugg, if you plau DoT, you should often use your DoT-spread. Also if you play PT and enemies are cuddling, use your AoEs rather than you singletarget-abilities. Your DPS will become insanly high if enemies are cuddling close to eachother. Note that this increases your overall-dps but in some cases its more important to focus your dps on only one target e.g. a healer.

At the current meta pre 5.0, Mercs are fine. What they get in dmg is offset by less survivability.

The issue you're probably seeing is all the new Mercs flooding pvp at most Lvls because they will be FOTM in 5.0.

So there will be the occasional high skilled player who knows how to crit at the right time.

At the current meta pre 5.0, Mercs are fine. What they get in dmg is offset by less survivability.

The issue you're probably seeing is all the new Mercs flooding pvp at most Lvls because they will be FOTM in 5.0.

So there will be the occasional high skilled player who knows how to crit at the right time.

I think that sums it up perfectly.

They do seem to do extremely well, but it's a ranged class. Part of the reason I think they do so well is that because they are not in your face, often times we find ourselves having to deal with the threat that is right in front of us, allowing ranged to free cast a bit more, and at times, not always even being aware of all the sources of incoming damage. If you have a jugg right in your face, there isn't always a hell of a lot you can do about a merc shooting at you from the ledge two stories above you. Melee are a bit limited to choosing a target at times by the necessity of the more pressing and in your face danger. Sometimes you can try to avoid their LOS, but sometimes there isn't always something you can do about them pew pew pewing at you at moment. I sometimes get frustrated at the amount of free casting other players sometimes afford ranged. You leave them to just plug away from on high unopposed all the time you're just handing them all that extra damage.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

The problem with (and for) mercs is that they currently:

1. do huge damage, with insane bursts when left alone.

2. don't really have a "leave me alone" button.

3. are immediately focussed by any team that isn't completely braindead because of 1+2.

5.0 will give mercs a LMA-button, and rumor says the poor substitute for a LMA-button mercs currently have might also be turned into a proper one.

Edited by Mubrak

The problem with (and for) mercs is that they currently:

1. do huge damage, with insane bursts when left alone.

2. don't really have a "leave me alone" button.

3. are immediately focussed by any team that isn't completely braindead because of 1+2.

5.0 will give mercs a LMA-button, and rumor says the poor substitute for a LMA-button mercs currently have might also be turned into a proper one.

Which is why less skilled people will flock to them because they think it will be easier. Hence, Mercs become FOTM.

When the other team has 3 highly advanced Mercs, who clearly all know what theyre doing (2 were at 3.8-3.9k dps, 1 was at 4.2) swapping nets, and they have 2 guards and 2 heals, it makes for a s h tty wz. You cant "focus the merc" down in that scenario. Moreover, it was a voidstar, so doing so would have made the gaurd/heal merry go round, go round.

But my point is this; yes i get it - they have bad survivability and the insane dps is to offset that - but shouldn't ANY class that has that high off a ceiling, have some sort of learning curve? I feel it should

They do seem to do extremely well, but it's a ranged class. Part of the reason I think they do so well is that because they are not in your face,

It's the direct opposite of Operatives, for example. They are always "in your face" - from the point of view of a ranged class ( ! ) , and with their abilities, they can outlive a lot.

Ranged and Melee are so to say "natural enemies". Both sides claim that the other side is overpowered.

I have a sneaking suspicion that operatives are being set up as the natural counter to mercs. A good operative is already painful for a merc to deal with with so much burst negated by rolls, and the reflect change on evasion in 5.0 seems purpose built for heatseekers (as they move slowly, so can be anticipated).

I have a sneaking suspicion that operatives are being set up as the natural counter to mercs. A good operative is already painful for a merc to deal with with so much burst negated by rolls, and the reflect change on evasion in 5.0 seems purpose built for heatseekers (as they move slowly, so can be anticipated).

I main a Sniper on Eng and MM depends on my mood... and I loooooove merc and commando targets.....they melt damn quickly especially when i can catch one off guard. busy shooting some mara or a jugg!

Yeah, and both mercs and operatives got nerfed to within an inch of their lives shortly after lol. Took *years* to undo.

Yeah we should enjoy the short time in 5.0 when they will be OP again after all those years.

Because the next patch 5.1 will nerf them into the ground again for other 5 years :D

thing i find totally amazing in future 5.0 is that the 30% crit damage bonus will stay..

they will gain 3 super new defensive abilities and they will maintain their damage, which is already OP.

i remember engineering nerfed only 1 month after 4.0 (and not really Op in pvp but in pve apperently) so i guess this will be the same for mercs :mad: