Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guide: How to build a gunship

Verain
01.03.2014 , 11:53 PM | #11
You should use Qzen Fess or whatever that lizard guy is on Offense. You should also use Nadia Grell. Bypass is like whole people dead, and it is the only option. Hyrdo Spanners is useless and needs massive buffs. It heals for like 210 into a health pool of 1200ish. It is only good to make a good player feel better because he doesn't have to to die. But, this helps no one win. Just die, preferably taking enemies with you or kiting more than one far from nodes, which is like death for them except it doesn't heal them.

On empire use Khem Vhal. On republic use Nadia Grell. If you disagree, play 10 games and use bypass on cooldown, being sure to get at least 1.5 hits on average each bypass (you can hit for far more). Press bypass just as you release a fully charged blast.

Slivovidze
01.04.2014 , 12:29 PM | #12
From a scout pilot, I don't think that this build is stronger than the super static and chunky gunships. If I catch that chunky guy charging and start unloading on him, if he is semi decent, he is out from scope before I am through his fortress shield, and I still have a long way in front of me with his 20% more hull HP. The "mobile" guy on the other hand, is outta shield in a moment and his hull isn't too tough. Secondly, there is nothing like mobile gunship. You pull your barrel roll, you boost for a while, maybe do a second barrel roll, and then you either run outta engine power, or you start doing that "stop for a moment". I can, pretty much literally, boost infinetely. You can't run.
If you have bodyguards, you might even make work harder for them. If you move, you might get at my 12 again easier than if you stay static. If you stay static and I fly past, I need to do 180 turn to get another shot on you. That's 180 window for your bodyguards to give my ND some hell. You might say that you won't ever run into my scopes accidentally, but trust me, it happens, and not only bad pilots do it.

There are several kinds of gunships that give me wrinkles:
1) Chunky static ones with even one decent pilot guarding them
2) That one gunship that I don't see yet and hits me with a slug blast when I'm in red
3) Two or more well cooperating gunship pilots

That all said, I don't dare to call your build bad. It certainly shows the direction that people who want the more mobile kind of gunship should follow. Luckily, there is no ultimate build.

Bottom line, very important part of gunship build is a bodyguard. I honestly think that any gunship who solo queues is mostly dead meat if they meet one competent scout pilot in enemy team.

WiseStranger
01.04.2014 , 04:31 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Slivovidze View Post
From a scout pilot, I don't think that this build is stronger than the super static and chunky gunships. If I catch that chunky guy charging and start unloading on him, if he is semi decent, he is out from scope before I am through his fortress shield, and I still have a long way in front of me with his 20% more hull HP. The "mobile" guy on the other hand, is outta shield in a moment and his hull isn't too tough. Secondly, there is nothing like mobile gunship. You pull your barrel roll, you boost for a while, maybe do a second barrel roll, and then you either run outta engine power, or you start doing that "stop for a moment". I can, pretty much literally, boost infinetely. You can't run.
If you have bodyguards, you might even make work harder for them. If you move, you might get at my 12 again easier than if you stay static. If you stay static and I fly past, I need to do 180 turn to get another shot on you. That's 180 window for your bodyguards to give my ND some hell. You might say that you won't ever run into my scopes accidentally, but trust me, it happens, and not only bad pilots do it.

There are several kinds of gunships that give me wrinkles:
1) Chunky static ones with even one decent pilot guarding them
2) That one gunship that I don't see yet and hits me with a slug blast when I'm in red
3) Two or more well cooperating gunship pilots

That all said, I don't dare to call your build bad. It certainly shows the direction that people who want the more mobile kind of gunship should follow. Luckily, there is no ultimate build.

Bottom line, very important part of gunship build is a bodyguard. I honestly think that any gunship who solo queues is mostly dead meat if they meet one competent scout pilot in enemy team.
Nobody can boost forever. And the purpose of boost on a gunship is to keep out of weapon range until your Barrel Roll is off CD or your Distortion Field so you can get more distance or regenerate some engine power while distortion is up. Unless a gunship takes Barrel Roll - they will be a pile of flying debris because they have no way to avoid missiles. And a gunship with Fortress Shield turns into a little black cloud if opposing team has a gunship that is any good. That 3740 of shield arc (at best) isn't going to save you from two full blasts of Ion Railgun (also you won't have any engine power to run and weapon power to shoot at that point). You will have 40 shield left and 1500 hull which is about one shot of fully charged slug railgun.
If it's a scout with blaster overcharge - they are capable of doing very good burst. They will chew through your Fortress Shield in no time (also don't forget shield bypass - that makes total shield capacity less relevant) and when you'll try to hit them they will pop Distortion Field so you can't do anything to them and as soon as you move - your fortress buff is gone. After that you can't do anything once your engine power is low. When you slowdown and you don't have your Barrel Roll up - you will die. Good scouts will never fly through a gunship if they are trying to ambush them. They will force that gunship to move or kill it on the spot. If you're flying to a gunship head on and run through them - that gunship also need to turn 180 at much slower rate than you can do.

As a gunship you don't need a bodyguard, all you need is to get to where your team is and let them deal with whoever is on your tail. And if you need a bodyguard 24/7 wherever you fly - you're either a liability to your team OR you're that dangerous that the other team decided to dedicate multiple people to chase you all game, every game. I queue solo most of the time and I don't find my survivability suffers from it.

To address Verian's comment - if the only railgun one is capable of using to help the team is Slug - bypass is good, but I would feel very sorry for any team that has a gunship that doesn't know how to use Ion Railgun, And if one is hindered by not having extra 2 degrees to your firing arc - the problem lies elsewhere. Every ship in this game can deal a lot of damage: Scouts, Strike Fighters, Gunships... and I did try bypass and improved kill zone (Nadia and Qyzen) and I found that it's not as good when you're playing against a good team. There is a penalty for visiting respawn area too often, and you can read the post just above yours that explains more on that.
In my experience with over 500 games played as a gunship and with about 75% w/l ratio, I'm happy with the way I play and most of the time have no deaths at all. If I had a choice to swap secondary weapon cooldown for improved kill zone and have Hydro Spanner - I would, but it's not an option for my republic gunship and since I'm not a sith warrior - it's not an option for my imperial gunship either.

ptwonline
01.04.2014 , 04:54 PM | #14
Say, do Blaster efficiency/larger pools/regen crew skills/components affect the rail guns as well, or just the regular blasters?

I find that I am constantly running out of power with my rail guns, so was wondering if those were a helpful choice.

Zharik
01.04.2014 , 05:19 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Fractalsponge View Post
Dampening would be even more useful if they worked beyond 15km like they did on PTS.

Good guide. This is basically what I run except for Turbo reactor (I prefer Regen).
Regen reactors are vastly inferior to turbo.

Regen reactor = +20% regen rate
Turbo = -3.6 seconds delay after getting hit

For regen to = turbo, you have to regen for 18 seconds for the +20% to make up for the extra 3.6 seconds of regen from starting earlier. This is assuming that you are not getting hit again within 18 seconds...

Nickious
01.04.2014 , 10:40 PM | #16
So for a starting gunship, whats the thing I should be upgrading first? So far I have my slug rail and my ion rail to tier 3 right now. What should be priority to upgrade?

Kuciwalker
01.04.2014 , 11:24 PM | #17
IMO first upgrades are:

Buy distortion field up to level 2
Buy barrel roll up to level 2
Buy dampening sensors up to level 3

verfallen
01.05.2014 , 07:42 AM | #18
I actually prefer using rotationnal thruster to barrel roll, since the move actually can outmaneuver scout, something barrel roll doesn't do (you are trying to beat them in their own field).

That build is extremely good if you have good teammates you can rely on, since they can cover your quick escape.

Its also useful when you realize something trying to flank you but still far away to greet them with a slug.

As for priority : dampeners to 3
Slug to armor ignore
Rotationnal or barrel roll to 2
Evasion shield I always forget the name off to 2.

Then master slug, then the shield for double duration or lock disable, then your secondary systems and then finally the lasers you sometime use.

I'll actually with rotationnal thruster be more of an aggressive counter to scouts 1 on 1.

A mastered scout can still kill me, but not easily and not immediately. Chance are I'll get a few hits in, and am better at delaying cap. A new scout has no chance.

But as stated, while some choice are no brainers, others are playstyle and preference.

Armonddd
01.05.2014 , 08:16 AM | #19
Secondary systems give a lot of benefit for very little cost. I'd recommend prioritizing them early, since you can max them out with, at most, 22k requisition (assuming none of the good components are stock).

Reduced cooldown on Barrel Roll and Distortion Field are also very important, since people will chase you.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

verfallen
01.05.2014 , 08:23 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
Secondary systems give a lot of benefit for very little cost. I'd recommend prioritizing them early, since you can max them out with, at most, 22k requisition (assuming none of the good components are stock).

Reduced cooldown on Barrel Roll and Distortion Field are also very important, since people will chase you.
You won't really notice a massive difference in shield regen delay or weapon regen with those.

Dampeners maded, sure. The rest, unlock the correct system then go boost primaries.

Really, slug railgun ignoring armor is much more useful than extra evasion, hull, shield or faster shooting.

So are defensive cooldowns vs passive defenses.