Enough people rolling alts yet to make crafting low level purples worth it?

Dabrixmgp

One guy on my server seems to be making a killing on the epic lvl 21 Implants. He has like 20 listed and every few days I notice hes down to 2-3 then restocks them all and sells out again. Selling them for 5k each. Just wondering if this would work for other items. I know in WoW and Rift when I rolled alts I always loaded them up with the best gear I could find on the AH to make leveling easier.

Given that you need to gear out 2-4 other "people" depending on how often you use each companion would this be a good way to make credits? I know theres the commendation stuff, which is mostly blue quality, but rich people seem to like the color purple when going for gear. Waste of time or good for credits?

When would that ever be viable? I can never think of time when I was leveling up and said, "Man, my gear is soooooo under level. I'll go the GTN and look for some better stuff." Can you?

Because you already have a level 50 and nothing to spend your 1,000,000+ credits on? If you have the money not twinking out your characters just gimps your leveling.

When would that ever be viable? I can never think of time when I was leveling up and said, "Man, my gear is soooooo under level. I'll go the GTN and look for some better stuff." Can you?

5k is nothing if you are twinking an alt.

I've been making loads of cash since the first few weeks of release selling purple crafted armor. There are always alts around and always slower levelers. I don't usually bother selling stuff below level 20-25. Yeah, someone might be buying it, but you're working with small margins.

That's what I'm doing, my main uses Cybertech so making all the epic mods that apply for that and buying other epic and low level custom gear off the GTN.

If lower levels were to realise this then they'd be able to make a decent amount considering most higher levels have moved onto higher level gear now.

I'm a level 25 agent on anchorhead with an armstech of 200 and doing really well for myself REing and crafting blues and purples, 90% of which is blaster pistols for BH and companions. I will list 6 or 8 pistols before bed for 6k each or so, level 25 and often with augment slots, and they will all be gone in the morning. Buying investigation missions with prosperous yields that almost alway give purple ingredients is worth the investment for sure. I am digging armstech now that I have the rhythm down and am always keeping an eye out for underpriced stacks of crafting materials on the market. Even crafting green and blues and level 12 I was doing ok selling just pistols.

I'm not rich but I'm happy with my gear, speeder, and all trained up, with money to send the old man so he can learn crafting without sinking as much in as I had to when I started.

thinking about trying cybertech for ship parts and ear pieces. With everyone taking biochem it kind of leaves the market wide open for the rest of the stuff. With so many BHs and Force users thinking I could easily make money targeting them. Might check the GTN and see whats missing and then supply it.

Yes it's worth it.

I've been making money from biotech, cybertech, armstech and now artifice. I had biotech before it was fotm and made a lot from implants. Still do as the fotm only seem to dump their load of greens from leveling and then never put up anything else. That doesnt bother blue or purple sales much but for a long time I didn't bother REing for blues because greens sold quick and were much easier to crank out.

Like someone said research your gtn and see what's missing. Make a few various things and see what moves.

Lately I found blue enhancements to fly off the gtn almost as fast as I can put them up.

Whenever I'm on, I try to keep 2-3 epic level 25 implants on the GTN, ones with Aim on them because just about every other implant on the GTN on my server has strength/willpower. I make a killing on them.

Sell them for about ~8k and the mastercrafts for about ~10k. I make between a 5k-7k profit on each one after accounting for mats/buying and running blue/purple diplomacy missions.

I'm only level 28, so this is a great profit margin for me.

So yes, if you aren't competing with someone else (like strength/willpower implants on my server), then you will make a killing on low level purples.

Not sure if this is really worth it.

Material prices are now very high and you need lots of tries to discover the appropriate purple recipe. After one hour of dailies at 50 you get like 100-120k credits. And even if you manage to get an useful purple recipe, the hassle to make enough mats to craft and sell say 20x lvl20 purples every day is simply unjustifiable.

I equip my alts with orange gear and fill the slots with goodies from the commendations mods vendors that I never used on the previous char because by the time I got enough commendations they were already outdated. I usually go full gathering on alts so I can gather whatever nodes I find and profit on GTN. Material prices are increasing every passing day. Occasionally I buy mission crating material from GTN and send to guildmates for certain pieces like shields, ears and implants but I only usually do that every 6 levels or so.

Equipment crafting is kind of bogus in this game. And now it seems from the posts here in the forums the proc rate on RE was nerfed pretty badly last patch, which I think it was to add value to mission/gathering skills. It doesn't really work this way in the case of BOE crafted gear in MMOs, usually because you just gather the material and tip an acquaintance if you want something made.

I've stopped crafting anything that sells less than 12k regularly. Going through the motions to post something up for 5k isn't worth the time and effort. It's nice to RE the mats for alts, guildmates and companions, but grinding out low-level items to sell on GTN seems like a waste of time when you're high level. If you're sending out companions on high level material missions then usually when you're ready to quit you can setup a nice list of high level gear that can be sold next time you log in for a good chunk of change (assuming you've RE'd to solid mats). Or you could just sell the purple materials for the ridiculous prices that people seem willing to pay - and why not; millionaires abound in this game. Why compete to sell a Mastercraft lv 40+ item at 40k credits when I can sell the Promethians by themselves and make twice as much?

I'll probably fill up the Guild Bank with some Mastercrafts when they're available, but other than that my low-level stuff won't be hitting GTN.

Fact still is that this game is both super-easy and it's ridiculously quick to level to 50. There will probably be a growing niche market for sub-50 pvp'ers that want the best scaling gear for Warzones, but aside from that people don't need crafted gear.

What's worth it on my server for alts:

- Earpieces and Implants because they are rare as quest rewards

- Orange items especially if they look sweet

- Blue and Orange weapons because everybody needs to pew-pew

- Ship Stuff

- To a lesser extend droid parts (only Agents use it on Imp side, though some classed may want to use the ship droid as a healer before they get their real healing companion)

I often read how crafting is dead but every time I went to then GTN on Jung Marr there was nothing worth buying and whatever purples where there were hideously overpriced and so were resources.

In the end I rolled a few alts and have them crafting gradually R/E'n back to purples -- I'd certainly have bought if they were there and will probably sell. Even if I sell competitively it helps cover my costs on leveling my crafters so it's win / win as far as I'm concerned.

I am an arms-tech and i sell purple blasters from lvl 13 to 50 ( every 4 levels) some purple rifles and auto-cannons , i sell them from 7k ( lvl 13 blaster) to 24k ( lvl 50 blaster ) and i have 2.5 mil isk and the 1.5 mil mount.

But i can see why others are having truble making money - those are the guys who put level 49 purple bracers for 100k isk

I constantly search gtn for gear for companions and i haven't bought ANYTHING yet because armor of all kinds are seriously overpriced. After their offers expire i'm sure they all come here and whine about professions.

I don't farm mats i buy cheap sales on gtn ( as rare as that is ) , i don't do daily's, the only income i have is pvp rewards and gtn sales and i'm swimming in creds, even so i wont pay 100k or more for a purple item for my companion.

There's a huge market for mid-level gear, if you can identify where there is a demand and not enough supply.

Of course if you compare to credit grinding at 50, it might not be as lucrative, but for a dedicated crafter you can make millions if you know what you are doing.

The only bottleneck for me right now is not getting enough rare mats to meet the demand and still be able to RE for new schematics that could sell. And that's with all companions out on blue/purple missions constantly... (GTN has zero mats for sale that I can use, everyone and their mother is going Bio/Bio these days...).

How is this worth it? I'd like to buy some, yes, but how expensive can you make that stuff?

I need to sell 4 artifacts with a profit of 10.000 for every single Level 49 artifact, and make that 13 if it crits.

(EDIT: And to get the artifact schem, how many blues do I have to RE? Say I want an artifact earpiece for every base class, I have to go for 100 blues to RE minimum? All eating away my profit?)

I don't see how this is supposed to provide more profit.

Edited by _Flin_

I am an arms-tech and i sell purple blasters from lvl 13 to 50 ( every 4 levels) some purple rifles and auto-cannons , i sell them from 7k ( lvl 13 blaster) to 24k ( lvl 50 blaster ) and i have 2.5 mil isk and the 1.5 mil mount.

But i can see why others are having truble making money - those are the guys who put level 49 purple bracers for 100k isk

This is really funny, because how many Mandalorian Iron do you need for these blasters?

One? Because if you need two, you do not make any profit. At least on my server the iron goes for 10k and more a piece.

I sold my earpieces for 70k, and now went to 90k, because they sold too fast. 177k for crits.

EDIT: If people make money serving the alt market, go ahead. I am currently more for the endlevel market, but maybe this will get boring once I have RE'd all the schematics I want to know.

Edited by _Flin_

There will always be a market for mid level players. Remember most players now are the casual type who like to roll lots of alts rather than focus on raiding and gearing out one main. I have seen many posts where people have one 50 and then 3-4 characters from 10-35. There should be a huge market selling to alts. I remember in WoW I made a killing selling enchants with no level requirements like +15/25 agi to weapon, crusader, and +spellpower to gloves/bracer just because even though leveling might be easy people still want as much advantage as they can buy.