Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My Shoot First's gone limp

Wainamoinen
11.13.2012 , 10:10 AM | #1
Thought I'd been struggling (well, worse than normal) the last few days, so I started messing around with numbers.

My damage from Shoot First seems to have fallen off some 10% since 9 November, I'm not sure why. Could be hits being smaller, could be fewer crits. Gear and buffs haven't changed.

Could be I've just got worserer (at using Shoot First?), or had some bad WZs, but the difference in the ability is so big that those seem insufficient explanations.

Maybe it will clear up on its own, and everything will go back to the way it was, but I wondered if anyone else had seen fewer crits or smaller hits from our best ability in the last few days?
It's a small world and it smells funny, I'd buy another if it wasn't for the money.
Ilmarinen 55 Scoundrel (Red Eclipse)

Missandei
11.13.2012 , 10:25 AM | #2
mayhaps you are playing against better geared opponents?
Missandei Shadow ...yet shadows can kill. And oft-times a very small man can cast a very large shadow.

Wainamoinen
11.14.2012 , 05:18 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Missandei View Post
mayhaps you are playing against better geared opponents?
Was wondering that, but it would be no reason why Shoot First was particularly affected. Better gear would reduce all my damaging abilites similarly.

Hmm. Guess I'll keep watching what happens with it. Maybe think about risking the time to drop a Flyby and restealthing before opening on a bubbled player with Shoot First, to burn off bubbles (might help with stunbubbles too) and then get full whack out of the Shoot First > onward.

Edit: removed speculation as to cause: it was wrong.
It's a small world and it smells funny, I'd buy another if it wasn't for the money.

Wainamoinen
11.22.2012 , 08:11 AM | #4
Think I've worked out what was going on here (it's all better now, thanks for asking). And I'll tell you why, in case anyone else has any interest in game mechanics, stats, etc.

Seems it may be I was facing better teams as Missandei suggested, only it wasn't improved gear that was gimping Shoot First. It was better play, specifically guard buffs.

My combat log records damage from Shoot First (or any damaging ability, but I'll stick to Shoot First here) as two separate entries when I attack a guarded target: once for the guy I shoot, another for the damage transferred to his tank.

As the damage is now split over two attacks rather than one, it decreases the average damage done on Shoot First. The tank will probably mitigate his damage better too, decreasing the average a little further.

The days in question I seem to have been facing teams that were much more regularly putting guard on my natural targets (healers, ranged dps), maybe even (horror!) switching it if they saw trouble, who knows?

Anyway, 11.5% of Shoot Firsts were hitting guarded targets instead of what seems a more normal 4%-5%. This would account for about a 5% drop in the average Shoot First, enough to put the rest of the difference in range of explanation of better gear (probable if they were playing smarter)/chance.

So if you play a tank, guard your healers, it helps. And for scrappers, pay attention to guard buffs if you weren't already. They're a pain in the behind.

NurseDonut
11.22.2012 , 08:23 AM | #5
Good to know. Thanks for the update.

Your problem had wrinkled my noodle a little, since I hadn't seen any change in practice.