Server Location? Affects Internet signal?

ForcelightX

MMOs work by sending data packs too and from your computer and the sever, The packs contain info like your character locations, actions etc. The further you are from the server the higher your latency will be. Latency is a time interval between the stimulation and response, or, from a more general point of view, as a time delay between the cause and the effect of some physical change in the system being observed (wiki). So if you picked a further server then the time between the responses will be greater. Ping is an example test to see how long it takes to send a signal too and from in ms. You want the lowest time. So yes picking a further server can affect the game and lag, or you may even disconnect in some games if it's bad.

MMOs work by sending data packs too and from your computer and the sever, The packs contain info like your character locations, actions etc. The further you are from the server the higher your latency will be. Latency is a time interval between the stimulation and response, or, from a more general point of view, as a time delay between the cause and the effect of some physical change in the system being observed (wiki). So if you picked a further server then the time between the responses will be greater. Ping is an example test to see how long it takes to send a signal too and from in ms. You want the lowest time. So yes picking a further server can affect the game and lag, or you may even disconnect in some games if it's bad.

Oh i see thank you.. do u know where can i see the exact place of the servers? sometimes they tell u in wich state is the server location exactly.

It shouldn't matter too much, as long as it's in the right region. Just pick the type of server you want to play on. Like in the West Timezone there is only one pve. http://www.swtor.com/server-status

Or you could just ping each server and use "whatismyipaddress" to find location. http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/159.153.64.96 example.

ty! may the force be with you!

At the speed of light with no router hops, no congestion, no speed reduction due to traveling through glass, just straight through it takes about 20 ms to go from the US west coast to the US east coast. So if you live on the east coast and play on a west coast server you have a minimum 20ms latency added on that is impossible to reduce due to the laws of physics. On top of that will be extra router hops and more possibility of congestion.

Just to give you an idea of the difference it makes.

There are a lot of factors at play here. It's not just distance per se, but distance DOES introduce more hops and route paths between source and destination and they are not all running at 100% efficiency 7/24. So, yeah, distance compounds the possible performance issues between a player and the server farm.

I live in California.

When I play on a West Coast server, my latency is 20-30ms

When I play on an East Coast server, my latency is 40-60ms

Every once in a while, some internet backbone path between me and the CA servers gets borked and I will see intermittent multi-hundred ms latencies. When I troubleshoot them.. sure enough.. the bottleneck is right on one of the main internet routes in CA. Has not happened lately... but it points out that in spite of me living right on one of the largest internet infrastructures in the US.... things break and performance suffers (at no fault of the servers whatsoever.