I really don't like Lana anymore

Lium

I finally decided to take my IA through KOTFE mostly because I wanted to see her interactions with Scorpio. But it was the interactions with Lana that left the biggest mark on me.

I don't like her anymore. At all.

Being a spy, my agent plays everything close to the vest. So when the moment came to either reveal to Lana that Valkorion was living in my head or not, I chose not to. My agent wasn't sure what the heck was going on. She wasn't even sure she was quite sane anymore. And something like this had happened to her before - a voice talking in her head. Plus, again, she's a freaking spy. She trusts no one, especially the empire.

Lana's reaction to this was entirely over the top. "You should've told me! I deserved to know! How could you?!" She then proceeded to absolutely dress me down as if I was a child. What's worse, I wasn't given an option to respond. She yells at me then moves on to another subject.

I sat there the entire time staring at my screen like, "Seriously?" Talk about hypocritical. Lana is a spy herself. She's kept me in the dark about SEVERAL important things. From the moment I met her to the present day. She is always lying or speaking in half-truths. So to react like that was a huge turn off. I don't like hypocrites.

Not to mention how she goes off on Theron in a similar fashion. But at least Theron put her in her place by reminding her she did the same thing to him on Rishi. (I LOVED that moment.)

So yeah. If there's a kill option coming up for Lana anytime soon, I'm taking it.

I got the impression of Lana talking down to you quite often, regardless of class. I liked being able to put her in her place when on Nathema (you may not trust him,but trust ME). She backed down pretty quick on that one. I also liked how Theron got after her, too.

That being said, I still don't mind Lana. I don't think I could ever romance her, though. She reminds me of an overbearing older sister. She cares a lot about you (and Theron, actually), and she feels she knows better than you :rolleyes:

Well, I think it's just a part of her personality. Imo she's an organizer by nature, always planning ahead and trying to take every little detail into account. The Alliance in particular seems to be her pet project, I'm sure she has all sorts of plans regarding it. While it is hypocritical to ask others to be open towards her while she's not open towards them, I feel it makes sense. In order to make these big plans she needs to know what other people are planning to do, otherwise those other people might ruin whatever she was hoping to accomplish. In the other hand, she is the spymaster of the Alliance, dealing with info not meant to everyone, so it's sometimes even excusable to not share everything.

I can see how it could be annoying. I personally don't mind it, all characters need flaws after all. :p

I'm bugged by her hypocrisy and incompetence, too. But I agree it's ok to have someone with these flaws in the story. If she didn't have any, she wouldn't need you or Theron or anyone else.

BTW, I just did my first DS playthrough allowing Koth to "turn traitor" and Lana put him down so cold and hard that I felt bad for him and spared his life. :(

Well, I think it's just a part of her personality. Imo she's an organizer by nature, always planning ahead and trying to take every little detail into account. The Alliance in particular seems to be her pet project, I'm sure she has all sorts of plans regarding it. While it is hypocritical to ask others to be open towards her while she's not open towards them, I feel it makes sense. In order to make these big plans she needs to know what other people are planning to do, otherwise those other people might ruin whatever she was hoping to accomplish. In the other hand, she is the spymaster of the Alliance, dealing with info not meant to everyone, so it's sometimes even excusable to not share everything.

I can see how it could be annoying. I personally don't mind it, all characters need flaws after all. :p

ITA with all of this, as well as the logic used to keep things close to the chest when she expects others to be open. There is one point in KOTFE when she tells Senya that she shares things on a "need to know" basis. She's spent a lot of time working as an advisor and telling people what to do, as well, and I would guess it's hard to shake that. She reminds me of the Star Wars equivalent of a Hermione Granger or Monica Geller from Friends; she always wants to organize and win and be on top of everything.

In terms of the Valkorion decision specifically, I think the reason she reacts that way if you choose not to tell her probably has a lot to do with who it is. The last time you see Lana before KOTFE, she's dealing with a planet full of people possessed by Vitiate and trying to keep him out of her own head. Learning that you have been walking around with Vitiate/Valkorion in your head, without telling her, might therefore especially upset her.

I love Lana and really like interacting with her, but I could see how her personality and need to control things might not be everyone's cup of tea. Which is fine. There's no way every character's personality will appeal to everyone in the game. All I would ask is that if they remove her somehow, they keep her in the story like Theron for those who want her there, and don't brick her.

If we were to execute all companions for their flaws, we'd have no companions :p

So my first thought on some of this is, "You just don't like her and want an excuse."

As for killing her, all I can really think is, out of all the companions, she's the only one who gets you out of the death sentence you were in and the idea for that is "Kill her!" :p

Lana's really judgemental and hypocritical, but I find that endearing. It humanizes her, she's a mess of contradictions.

Yeah, I guess that's the thing. I don't abide by that in real life. Seriously. I've cut many people off in my life for being hypocrites. It's honestly my number one rule. So it carries over in the RPGs I play because I tend to play them naturally.

If you're going to chew someone out, or criticize someone for something, you must be absolutely, 100% certain that your house is in order. Otherwise, goodbye.

That's honestly a reason why I rarely if ever criticize anyone. Because I know my house looks like a tornado went through it.

Lana's really judgemental and hypocritical, but I find that endearing. It humanizes her, she's a mess of contradictions.

She's been one of my favorite companions since we were first introduced to her. :)

So, hopefully, they never give her a kill option. It'd likely just be a story breaking reason for anyone to kill her (ie not make sense) and we have enough of those chat options already.

So, hopefully, they never give her a kill option. It'd likely just be a story breaking reason for anyone to kill her (ie not make sense) and we have enough of those chat options already.

Common sense and logic isn't something my character has anymore so it won't bother me ... I think I'll go with the simple neck twist ... Vette didn't give any negative feedback when Vaylin did it to her.

Going back to their origins in Baldur's Gate, Bioware had a very interesting solution to a player's need to kill everyone they meet, specifically, a character named Biff the Understudy. Biff essencially replaced whoever you killed when that character had a future role in the story. They applied it to the Jedi Knight storyline in Corellia (Lord Praven vs Goril Sevintran), and I think they should apply it in the future.

Option to kill Lana? No problem, but keep writing her dialogues as normal for those who spare her. Whoever kills her gets Biff speaking in Huttese instead :D:D:D

She's been one of my favorite companions since we were first introduced to her. :)

Same. In a perfect scenario she'd never get a kill because she's been a favorite since way back when. My concern with killing her would also be that she'd be bricked for anyone who didn't kill her, including those who have romanced her and want her around. I'd rather have Lana as my advisor than some random Imperial person, and I certainly wouldn't want her to essentially be written out the way characters like Koth and the class story LIs have been.

All of the characters have flaws, and it's just a matter of which ones we accept and which we don't.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Going back to their origins in Baldur's Gate, Bioware had a very interesting solution to a player's need to kill everyone they meet, specifically, a character named Biff the Understudy. Biff essencially replaced whoever you killed when that character had a future role in the story. They applied it to the Jedi Knight storyline in Corellia (Lord Praven vs Goril Sevintran), and I think they should apply it in the future.

Option to kill Lana? No problem, but keep writing her dialogues as normal for those who spare her. Whoever kills her gets Biff speaking in Huttese instead :D:D:D

The way a lot of criticism goes these days, though, if they were to do that, the players who were pleading for a kill option would complain about the understudy and whine for the devs to bring Lana back. It would be Quinn and Ashara 2.0 (there may have been more (I would be incredulous if Skadge didn't originally have a kill option), but those two you can still see where the conversation choices were leading to kills but beta players complained and Bioware forced them on those of us who can make our own decisions about who we want on our ships)

Damn, i wish they kept the kill option for Ashara...

About Lana, i quite like her, so i don't really want a kill option, but considering Theron got one, i don't know if she's all that safe. And if i had to chose i'd rather keep Theron than Lana, but i like our little trio. Lana is kind of my JK's big sister, and Theron's her hubby. So i'd like to keep them both.

About Lana, i quite like her, so i don't really want a kill option, but considering Theron got one, i don't know if she's all that safe. And if i had to chose i'd rather keep Theron than Lana, but i like our little trio. Lana is kind of my JK's big sister, and Theron's her hubby. So i'd like to keep them both.

Quinn would never have survived any of my warriors; even the LS ones; even the ones who romanced him

Okay, I hate Lana (it took me a long time to accept it as I tried insanely hard not to hate her) I have to be truthful. But I don't want a kill option just for the sake of killing her. I want a "go back to the Sith" option. Why? Because for all the "you're our only hope" talk she fights with me about everything and undermines me at every turn! Her so-called 'loyalty' <cough>stalking<cough> and overreaction to anyone who I listen to above her is worse than Bastila and Handmaiden combined! I never thought I'd say that.

Theron got three options: keep, kill, banish. According to Lore he is more important to the overall world of TOR. What is considered acceptable for Theron *should* be acceptable for Lana PERIOD.

• Like 1

I honestly don't think Theron is really dead, if you chose that option. We don't actually see him die. We just see Satele react. But it's quite possible he'll turn up again no matter what.

Remember Leliana from Dragon Age? She had a kill option. But then she turned up in DAI no matter what world state you entered into the Keep. Even if you told the game you killed her. She just says there was a blinding light, and then suddenly she was alive. She can't explain what happened. Or something like that.

So if the writers want to use Theron, they will regardless of our decisions. The only time a character gets a true kill option is if the writers don't have anything planned for them and don't really know what to do with them. So they give us the option to kill them off.

• Like 1

This is a recurring problem in recent expansions. NPCs mouth off and we're usually not given the opportunity to defend ourselves, much less fire back at them. It's like the writers are saying to themselves, "The damn player needs to respect my characters! I should humble them!"

/sigh

This is why I spacebar.

Edited by Hebruixe

As for killing her, all I can really think is, out of all the companions, she's the only one who gets you out of the death sentence you were in and the idea for that is "Kill her!" :p

She was part of a team. T7, HK-55, Koth and Theron were all part of the team too. Now, even though I don't have any desire to kill her off myself, I can easily see why dark side Sith would want to execute her for incompetence. She is really terrible at her job.

She was part of a team. T7, HK-55, Koth and Theron were all part of the team too. Now, even though I don't have any desire to kill her off myself, I can easily see why dark side Sith would want to execute her for incompetence. She is really terrible at her job.

But she was the one who literally walked into the vault and risked her neck, along with T7-O1.

As for her job, as shown in SoR, she's incredibly smart and talented. When she's shoehorned into a job where she isn't suited and doesn't belong - leading Intelligence or being a Spymaster - of course she falters. It would be like deciding that Theron should be a Sith lord. I don't know why the writers decided it was so important to make Lana look so incompetent, but they certainly did. Regardless Lana still works her tail off.

My agent can't stand Lana since Ziost.

As a loyal Imperial and professional spy, her incompetence as Minister of (Sith) intelligense there is just unforgivable.

Getting a mole planted right under her nose... a non force user even. Nothing but incompetence.

Since my agent was my main character at that time, that pretty much cemented my dislike for Lana, because even my most crazy Sith characters wouldn't tolerate that sort of failure or liability anywhere near them.

Not all would snap her neck, but don't know, imprison her or replace her, send to exile. But for certain not keep her as an advisor.

When I had that time stop in the swamps with her fate for the first time, I was like yay, good riddance.

What a big disappointment.

The fact that my characters are rarely allowed to talk back only makes it worse.