Athiss needs retuning

I just ran Athiss tonight, and it was very unrewarding.

Up until the group got to the beast boss outside the Sith temple proper, it felt like an instance built for 2 people. Then in the temple itself, the difficulty ramped up, making the whole experience rather inconsistent.

In addition, the boss was a slough, requiring too much healing to negotiate. Our level 19 Jedi Sage was not able to heal the massive damage the group was receiving with the periodic massive DoT the boss was dishing out. She would run out of force halfway through every time, and we would wipe shortly thereafter. This is the first time something like this has happened.

IMO the difficulty at the start needs to be closer to the difficulty at the end. Making the beginning pulls harder, and the last ones easier. Also, I think the boss having less health would be best.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Anyone have any idea of what we did wrong?

Are you sure you're doing it the way you should aswell? Some people haven't noticed that the DoT also blows up for AoE damage at the end, and while healing the person with the DoT shouldn't be an issue, if the people stand in a group and take the AoE damage I can see how you would wipe.

And ofcourse, some people have issues avoiding the fires, but I don't know if you have that problem.

I have not noticed AoE damage from the DoT. Damage seems to be well centralized to one person, taking half of their health off easily in one DoT.

edit: Thing was I was specifically looking for the AoE at the end, because I saw an AoE animation, and I still didn't notice any AoE damage.

Edited by KurtDunn

Trust me, there's AoE damage when the dot expires, there's even an animation for it blowing up on the ground.

Try sending the one with the DoT out of range from everyone else before it expires, you'll notice a huge difference in damage taken.

I can confirm that after the DoT there is an AoE damage and the way SWTOR does it it's very easy to see who has the DoT on them so just tell them to run away for a second. It's much more a skill fight than a power fight, I imagine a group of 17s could do this fight if they knew what to do.

Tell person with SOUL REND to run wide circles away from the group...

Tell person with AFFLICTION to run away from the group and put a hot/keep them healed...

Watch the prophet keel over dead and drop you 2 orange level 21 items.

I did Athiss on my level 19 Sawbones and last boss healing requires no much effort at all.The tank won't take much damage and you have only to heal up the person who's been afflicted by the nasty dot.

Yes the dot will blow up when it's finish ticking.

Did the Flashpoint yesterday for the first time, me as 21 tank and the dps 19sh, with a healer L26 ><

Ofcourse healing department was superior to say an equal to team level and we didnt have any problems.

Positioning of the team during the beast boss, make it face the wall and have the group assembled always together and moving always together for easier aoe management on adds.

Aside from that, i wasnt really taking any real damage and the adds were taking care off when we did the trick with the group bunching together.

Its an endurance fight after all, wasnt too hard at all.

Even the last boss was about the same thing.

as tank the only damage i was taking was at the end when he started charging those lightnings, but it was just a spike to heal like from 100% health down to 75%. Nothing really worth saying.

The answer is having better team members, more experienced.

As a side note, the DPS counsular was complaining for getting oom very soon.

my healer was Commando though

You have to keep in mind that some players are just bad. Maybe the tank was wearing dps gear or maybe the healer was spamming the wrong heals at the wrong time. I personally think all the flashpoints are balanced pretty well. I though Hammer Station was a little to easy. But also I run with a guild group every time so of course i will find them more enjoyable then a random.

I did fight with two assasins and two sorcerers, all 4 of us was in dps spec, and none of us had done the figth before. I has lvl 18, the others were 19, 21 and 22.

It wasnt really that hard, and other then me falling from the elevator and died, we didnt have any issues until the final boss. We had two wipes, learning what was going on. The other Sorcerer was on healing all the time, i mixed it a bit both dps and helped out on healing when someone was low.

The 3th try were we got the kill, one of the assasins died when the first fire came, so we lacked some dps. We kept the fight going for a long time, just prio healing to dps, when the boss was about 5% all of us were out of force, and i died on 2%, rigth after we were lucky got the kill.

Overall, I really hate doing trash, so please dont make the phase harder, and its the first boss in the game where i thought, that was fun, so dont ruin that by nerfing it...

Cheers

Startek

Edited by Starte

IMO the difficulty at the start needs to be closer to the difficulty at the end. Making the beginning pulls harder, and the last ones easier. Also, I think the boss having less health would be best.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Anyone have any idea of what we did wrong?

If the tank taunts it, the -30% damage to everyone else provides plenty of cushion for the healer. Live and learn

Me and my brothers 3 manned it and found it quite easy.

Me Tank (Jug 21)

Brother DPS (Mar 21)

Brother Healer (Inq 17)

My Companion (Droid)

Most of it was easy the only boss we wiped on was the last one because the droid died, i found out later that the companion droid was "Dispelling" the DOT making the fight a basic tank and spank. Was a good challange at some points though.

Edited by Toccss

Take an assassin with you. I was assassin dps and I was able to interrupt the last boss's abilities. Honestly I enjoyed the difficulty level. Also, the flash is for lvl 21's I believe. So being under leveled is part of your problem.

Duod it with me as sorc and my friend as marauder. Both specced to DPS and we both had the annoying robot that spams EXCELLENT! all day out. It would appear that when you have cleanse on auto-cast on them, they remove it pretty much instantly, usually.. Not always reliable, they stopped cleansing it at some points at random. Also have to turn off auto-cast on the cast-time heal so that they don't sit around doing that when the fires come. Fairly straightforward fight. The beast was more difficult since we had no way to AoE the adds. Tons of incoming damage and KB/Fear interrupted heals so many times at really inconvenient times.

Take an assassin with you. I was assassin dps and I was able to interrupt the last boss's abilities. Honestly I enjoyed the difficulty level. Also, the flash is for lvl 21's I believe. So being under leveled is part of your problem.

You sure about that? Considering how he has "Unshakeable" buff on himself which makes him immune to interrupts. Neither my jolt nor my marauder friends interrupt did anything to his abilities. Tried repeatedly.

Edited by Zerfalll

Heh, me and my brothers also managed to 3m this instance from beggining till the end...

There was only 1 place we had some problems (2 champions just outside last boss, we were to low lvl for long "sap's").

Also, my bro had a npc "repaired droid" and i was running with Mako companion + npc lizard from biochem ... quite cool instance, 0 wipes.

Nt sure whats the problem OP.

Duod it with me as sorc and my friend as marauder. Both specced to DPS and we both had the annoying robot that spams EXCELLENT! all day out. It would appear that when you have cleanse on auto-cast on them, they remove it pretty much instantly, usually.. Not always reliable, they stopped cleansing it at some points at random. Also have to turn off auto-cast on the cast-time heal so that they don't sit around doing that when the fires come. Fairly straightforward fight. The beast was more difficult since we had no way to AoE the adds. Tons of incoming damage and KB/Fear interrupted heals so many times at really inconvenient times.

You sure about that? Considering how he has "Unshakeable" buff on himself which makes him immune to interrupts. Neither my jolt nor my marauder friends interrupt did anything to his abilities. Tried repeatedly.

You know what, you're right. I was confusing him with the champion level guys you fight right before him.

You have to keep in mind that some players are just bad. Maybe the tank was wearing dps gear or maybe the healer was spamming the wrong heals at the wrong time. I personally think all the flashpoints are balanced pretty well. I though Hammer Station was a little to easy. But also I run with a guild group every time so of course i will find them more enjoyable then a random.

I have no idea how you have any basis to say stuff like this for a level 19-21 instance. I was the tank, and there is almost no tank gear I can equip. The healer is a friend who I have been duoing all content with thus far.

The biggest problem seemed to not be the AoE damage, but the people being brought down by about 1000 life to the personal DoT on themselves, causing a need for massive massive heals. The healer was not using any DPS abilities, and the healer is Seer (healer) spec.

I mean maybe the two Sentinels we brought weren't performing appropriate DPS to push him down far enough before the fight dragged on too long but I don't know, because there are no DPS meters. Also, a combat log would have cleared up most of my confusion.

I have no idea how you have any basis to say stuff like this for a level 19-21 instance. I was the tank, and there is almost no tank gear I can equip. The healer is a friend who I have been duoing all content with thus far.

The biggest problem seemed to not be the AoE damage, but the people being brought down by about 1000 life to the personal DoT on themselves, causing a need for massive massive heals. The healer was not using any DPS abilities, and the healer is Seer (healer) spec.

I mean maybe the two Sentinels we brought weren't performing appropriate DPS to push him down far enough before the fight dragged on too long but I don't know, because there are no DPS meters. Also, a combat log would have cleared up most of my confusion.

If you are two manning this, one of you get your healer droid out for the last boss. But its a REALLY hard fight if you bring all 4 at this level because no one has a dispell to dump the DoT.

Edited by LordPancake

Yeah me and my pals ran it yesterday and holy balls we all agreed never to run it again. Joke exp compared to other ones since there were very few elites, and at the same time ONLY the elites ever gave drops so it was crap for credits and equipment drops few and far between as well.

And not to mention for me at least I got the bug where the daily for completing either it or hammer station didn't check off after I finished either.

As a sniper it would've been a complete waste of time if the last boss hadn't dropped both new pants and a cool looking rifle for me (both orange). Didn't get jack till then.

Really hope they jazz this flashpoint up in the future to make it worth replaying, now its even a debate if I want to help my other guildies run it cause it just sucks so much.

22 vanguard tank, two 20 gunslingers and a 18 sage healing... No issues until the big lizard boss. And then three wipes. This is the first time I've played tank in an MMO so maybe I just suck. I'm geared pretty good but it just seemed like halfway through the healing stopped. Maybe the healer was too underpowered?

Speaking from personal experience, at level 19, you MUST 2-heal the last boss. He's simply too hard, and you can't dispel his DoT yet.

The instance is built for level 20-23 though, I think...It was bloody hard for me to heal it at that level, and I levelled to 20 just before the last boss.

22 vanguard tank, two 20 gunslingers and a 18 sage healing... No issues until the big lizard boss. And then three wipes. This is the first time I've played tank in an MMO so maybe I just suck. I'm geared pretty good but it just seemed like halfway through the healing stopped. Maybe the healer was too underpowered?

Sorcerers suffer from difficulty getting their Force to recharge in the later half of a long fight. You can't very well use life tap to recover Force, as most bosses have an AoE or something nasty to hit you with right after you do it.

I'd imagine Sages are the same.

Edited by Thorkir

I thought Athiss was horribly undertuned. First 2 bosses were a joke, trash was more annoying than tough.

Last boss was just a long, boring and drawn-out fight. Has way too much HP considering he's only up half the time. His damage output needs to upped and his HP needs to be reduced to make it more intense. The mechanic is neat but it gets old after the 6th or 7th time in the fight.

I think all of the people saying the last boss is a healing challenge just ignored the fight mechanics.

Did it with a group of three 19s and one 21, only one healer (commando), just fine.

If you get crushing affliction on you, move away from other people until it explodes. Then in phase 2 avoid fires. Pretty simple.

The healer should only ever have to heal two people: the tank, and the person who gets crushing affliction.