X has left the Warzone

MCaliban

I have finally entered the 30-54 bracket with my PvP Shadow and have noticed a serious increase in people leaving the WZ, as well as my being plopped into WZs in progress.

Today, I encountered such a person. I first bumped into them in a 3 vs 3 arena; we lost the first round and they quit, even I considered it a close match. After the arena, I re-queue and ended up in a warzone with them and the other player from the arena. They stand next to us and after a few seconds (before the WZ has started) drop out.

The game goes poorly: we only have six people on our team and can't seem to hold anything. Throughout the WZ, that same person joins and drops three more times. Then two more people leave near the end. Other people are dropped in but only one stays.

This got me to pondering a few questions.

1) Why do people leave warzones? If people only want valor and comms then playing losing WZs is as efficient as dropping out of one and requeuing. This is especially true for Arenas.

2) Should people be rewarded for backfilling warzones? I've noticed this is already the case but it's an unadvertised feature. I've gotten more valor/comms from a backfilling a WZ where I didn't even get 8 medals than from ones where I joined at the beginning and got 8.

3) Is leaving a WZ ever appropriate? Obviously, if your four year old has set the cat on fire, you should probably quit. But under what normal circumstances is leaving a WZ 'okay' in your eyes?

4) Should we call-out players who frequently leave? I've noticed that some players develop a reputation and it gets brought up in Ops chat. Is this an effective way of encouraging people to stay?

Edited by MCaliban

1) Why do people leave warzones? If people only want valor and comms then playing losing WZs is as efficient as dropping out of one and requeuing. This is especially true for Arenas.

2) Should people be rewarded for backfilling warzones? I've noticed this is already the case but it's an unadvertised feature. I've gotten more valor/comms from a backfilling a WZ where I didn't even get 8 medals than from ones where I joined at the beginning and got 8.

3) Is leaving a WZ ever appropriate? Obviously, if your four year old has set the cat on fire, you should probably quit. But under what normal circumstances is leaving a WZ 'okay' in your eyes?

4) Should we call-out players who frequently leave? I've noticed that some players develop a reputation and it gets brought up in Ops chat. Is this an effective way of encouraging people to stay?

1) People leave WZs because...

• they've completed their daily/weekly and are only interested in winning
  • they dislike the map or format (arenas vs. WZs)
  • they dislike a teammate
  • they feel that they have been unjustly thrust into a hopeless situation (including but not limited to good/bad premade concerns)

2) People already ARE rewarded for backfill (automatic medal).

the theory, as espoused by BW, is that the auto-medal will insure that the backfiller receives some valor comms for backfilling into a game in which he cannot even earn one on the battlefield. it's a very lame "reward." imo, backfill should be eliminated in every WZ at a relatively early point, or every potential backfill should have the choice whether to take the pop or remain in queue. that's probably the only "opt out" choice that should exist in this queue system. opting out of a particular map is whiny imo. opting out of backfill, however, is common sense.

Leaving a WZ is appropriate when...

• you get backfilled into someone else's mess and don't feel like paying for it.
  • you're going to rage on someone
  • real life calls
  • you're tired of the same WZ, teammates, opponents

I consider this list the most opinion-based of the three.

4) Should we call out players who constantly leave?

no. not really. that would be harassment. that's different from mentioning it or trying to talk them into changing their habits.

:2cents:

I'm not leaving warzones often (and I'm usually staying when backfilled into losing match to see, what's going on and if I can do any good), but one day I left two warzones and I know exactly why I did, so let me describe the cases:

1) NC - nobody goes east, even though we have at least 3 stealth. So I resign and go on my sorc. Enemy comes, I call, nobody comes to help, I get killed, east is lost. I respawn, see that south got captured, so I inspect the situation and what do I see? That everyone went east. Yes, everyone, south remained undefended. At this point I decided to stop bothering and left.

2) CW - nobody goes our side (so I'm trying to go there from mid, when I see nobody's there, but I get stopped by half of the enemy team jumping at me. So I think "whatever, if it gets captured, we can recapture it after we get mid, it usually is quite easy as enemy team has a long way from respawn to this node". Shortly after enemy side gets captured (by enemy), I die and when I'm on the speeder, enemy captures mid. I look on the map and see 4 people at mid, so I decide to quit. (inb4 why you didn't go side in the first place - if I was on my operative/assassin I would, but sorcs are not very good node guards imho, so I try to avoid it).

So long story short - when the behaviour of my team is hopeless, I leave to save myself from further frustration.

I have finally entered the 30-54 bracket with my PvP Shadow and have noticed a serious increase in people leaving the WZ, as well as my being plopped into WZs in progress.

Today, I encountered such a person. I first bumped into them in a 3 vs 3 arena; we lost the first round and they quit, even I considered it a close match. After the arena, I re-queue and ended up in a warzone with them and the other player from the arena. They stand next to us and after a few seconds (before the WZ has started) drop out.

The game goes poorly: we only have six people on our team and can't seem to hold anything. Throughout the WZ, that same person joins and drops three more times. Then two more people leave near the end. Other people are dropped in but only one stays.

In order, by question:

1) Aside from the odd actual random disconnect (it happens), the vast majority leave because they have extremely low frustration thresholds. For them, it's roflstomp or nothing. I blame a combination of poor parenting and steadily deteriorating public schools.

2) I'm not opposed to extra rewards for backfillers, but only if they don't have a history of creating the need for backfilling to occur. In other words, don't reward people trying to scam the system for greater rewards (I'm at a loss as to how, specifically, this can happen, but that's probably because I don't look to cheat and am therefore ignorant of what to look for in that regard.)

3) I'm fine with disconnect happening because of the odd family emergency, but if someone's quitting a bunch claiming their four-year-old's a pyromaniac or something... well, there's just bigger things to deal with than getting into a WZ queue for that person, isn't there? XD

And finally:

4) I'm all about shame and blame. Fire it up! -bp

There shouldn't be a deserter penalty. Many will argue against this, but their arguments are wrong. It only works in MMOs with cross server queues and a decent population.

Fixed.

Edited by Telaan

[[*]you get backfilled into someone else's mess and don't feel like paying for it.

yeah I know how that feels and its one of the few non-real-life reasons that I would leave a warzone. I backfilled into this novare coast one day, the team I joined was losing horribly, I could see more players leaving, and a guy, was, in all caps, typing "I HATE YOU ALL!!!". The match ended a few seconds later so for that reason I did not leave, though I did get called out at the end by the guy who said I did nothing and I told him "of course I haven't I have only been here a few seconds before this ****storm ended" but he just kept yelling at everyone anyway even though based on his numbers he did poorly himself.

Ive been leaving the new huttball map lately because I dont like it, no other reason really.

I leave when its obvious most of the team is not playing the objectives. I really get irritated by this one.

Too many juggs on opposing team also makes me leave now. Juggs bounding all over while they ragdoll then ravage everything in sight has gotten absolutely absurd. Its downright retarded sometimes and I refuse to play mine and add to what i perceive as a problem right now in WZs.

oh yea....cats on fire? Ill likely leave. :)

They should have a system that locks you out of Warzones if you back out of Warzones consistantly. Maybe if you drop out of 2-3 warzones back to back. Kind of like the Group queues. Don't you get locked out for quitting or something. !5 minutes, but maybe that should be an hour so people are more likely not to do it.

I encountered a double premade in Quesh huttball yesterday, all from one guild. They probably queue synced. Regardless, I left the warzone immediately after I found out.

If there was a deserter penalty, I would have stood in a corner and maybe watch some youtube until the match is over.

"I face premade therefore I just stand doing nothing" "I do not like my team mate(s), therefore I just stand doing nothing" "Last round, healer dead, better leave so someone else can have my spot" Such a weak personality.

10 minutes will have 0 effect on the queue duration.

You're kidding/trolling right? Many servers only have 2-3 simultaneous wz's running during peak times. During non-peak, some servers are lucky to get a full wz. On pot5 I see the same people everyday. Often I see the same people in back to back arenas/WZs. Peak hours population may, just may, hit one full fleet with 10 people in the second.

So when someone loads into someone else's disaster, but doesn't want to be forced to eat it...... leaves and is then punished.....resulting in multiple other people doing the same thing: a lot of people would rather face a 10 min penalty and browse the gtn, accomplish some other ingame related task, get a drink, and take a ****, rather than waste their time in a disaster.

So yes, 10 minutes absolutely, hands down, without argument impacts queue times.

Edited by Telaan

I have left only two warzones in my entire time playing this game.

Once was a 55 Ancient Hypergates. I got desynced from the server and couldn't interact with anything. I had to restart the game. Luckily, when I requeued, I got back into the same warzone. We were losing, however, but eh.

The second time was in a 30-54 Voidstar. My entire team was doing a terrible job of defending (first door down in the first 30 seconds, followed very quickly by the bridge and second door). I got frustrated and I despise Voidstar, so I left.

On all other times, though, I stick it out till the end. Even when I'm in a Queshball going up against 6 juggernauts who are tearing my team apart, I just get my 8 medals and go around trying to kill people/defend the last node. Quitting a warzone gives me no rewards, and pitting myself against better players is a good way to improve my game.

In order, by question:

1) Aside from the odd actual random disconnect (it happens), the vast majority leave because they have extremely low frustration thresholds. For them, it's roflstomp or nothing.

I don't get why people like roflstomping teams. Being on the receiving end is just painful, and if you're on the team that's dishing it out - it just gets boring. Seriously, have people trickle in to Civil War one by one only to be blown up one after the other or wining huttball in 3 minutes is boring as hell... But that's just me.

Anyway, on topic;

1) Cause they're sooks most of the time. I play on Harbinger and guaranteed if the other team caps something/plants/scores within the first 30 seconds or so, there will be quit outs. And people do disconnect, which has happened to me a couple times (usually when I'm on the winning side :( )

2) Maybe, maybe not.. we already get a free medal the minute we backfill into a match.. It'd be nice if you got a bonus for backfilling into a losing side and end up winning. (Wishful thinking right there)

3) There are two reasons that I'll intentionally quit out of a match; A) Something happens in life (like the fiery cat), or B) my ping/connection nose dives to the point where the game is unplayable cause everyone basically starts teleporting around you.

4) Eh, each to their own with that one.

Leaving lowbie WZs is just dumb. Youre there to get XP, nothing else rofl

that's actually the best reason to leave. those new queshballs are painfully drawn out in lowbie/middy (as was the original hb b/c people lack abils to move the ball). I'll gain a lot more xp finishing a quest - unless I wanna ignore objectives and kill stuff. that's not reason enough to leave a WZ, imo, but you're not gaining some sort of leveling advantage by sticking around instead of completing quests while waiting for another WZ pop.

Edited by foxmob

"I face premade therefore I just stand doing nothing" "I do not like my team mate(s), therefore I just stand doing nothing" "Last round, healer dead, better leave so someone else can have my spot" Such a weak personality.

There are a fair number of weak personalities, apparently, who play WZs.

The one just above your post, for instance--"I was facing premades, so I quit." Ever hear of fakking PLAYING the GAME?

Roflstomp or nothing, I like that. These kids today.

that's actually the best reason to leave. those new queshballs are painfully drawn out in lowbie/middy (as was the original hb b/c people lack abils to move the ball). I'll gain a lot more xp finishing a quest - unless I wanna ignore objectives and kill stuff. that's not reason enough to leave a WZ, imo, but you're not gaining some sort of leveling advantage by sticking around instead of completing quests while waiting for another WZ pop.

If a game is drawn out in lowbie - thats what you WANT. Longer games = more XP which makes Arenas pointless.

On topic. I haven't played lowbie all too often and when I do leave Warzones its mostly down to being on a team of idiots - plain and simple. So many here have posted about 'its because they want to win' but that utter crap.

The amount of times players just do not call inc but will quite happily watch the enemy run across the map, fight them - kill them and cap the point without saying a single word. Or, they are SO stupid, they get mind zapped twice to let a bomb get planted in 5 seconds of Voidstar.

Losing isn't the issue, its the manner of how you lose. With SO many casual players now in the game, it opens the door to the bad players who have zero concept of team work and lack any kind of communication skills.

They should have a system that locks you out of Warzones if you back out of Warzones consistantly. Maybe if you drop out of 2-3 warzones back to back. Kind of like the Group queues. Don't you get locked out for quitting or something. !5 minutes, but maybe that should be an hour so people are more likely not to do it.

There's really no need. With pops so low now for PvP, the average wait can be 5-10 minutes.

I don't get why people like roflstomping teams. Being on the receiving end is just painful, and if you're on the team that's dishing it out - it just gets boring. Seriously, have people trickle in to Civil War one by one only to be blown up one after the other or wining huttball in 3 minutes is boring as hell... But that's just me.

Some people just need to be carried. They tell themselves they're good players because they win so many matches but they have to quit 3 matches to be put on a roflstomp team to get a win. To me quiting out of a difficult match is worse than a loss, it hurts your team and it proves you aren't willing to fight when the odds are against you. Both are the very definition of what makes a bad player (points don't define a bad, any real PvP player knows the end scorecards isn't what determines win or loss).

I see the same thing when people complain "why won't you heal me?" or "why won't you guard me?" The nature of the game is that sometimes you have to fight on your own without somebody carrying you. If you can't fight without support you're not as good as you think. And certainly not good enough to act elitist and blame the loss on the rest of the team.

I recently had a very, very, very, very strange experience :

I was late joining a WZ, and found iout it was an Arena.

Even more strange I found out that I was the only player in my group ! One level 45 Sage against 4 imperial faction players ... LOL.

I endured the first round, but then I chose to stay in the respawn area so that the game would throw me out. I was definitively NOT going to give them SUCH an easy game. :rolleyes:

And that happened. Seconds later I found myself back on where I had joined from.

I even did a screenshot of that. If you don't believe me, then please tell me where and how I can upload that screenshot for proof.

I don't get why people like roflstomping teams. Being on the receiving end is just painful, and if you're on the team that's dishing it out - it just gets boring.

Some people just like being that powerful. It's as simple as that.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer