Future Content...

Malckiah

Vote for what you want most for future content...Pick up to 5  

15,252 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for what you want most for future content...Pick up to 5

Offtopic, but /popcorn is one of the few things that really make me rage. No one cares about how hip you think you are because you are watching the thread and being entertained by it. Contribute or **** imo.

That and 'ur'.

ur right. :p

Sorry.. just kidding.. it was too good to pass up. :)

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MMORPG is by far the worst place to look if you want to know if any mmo is good or not as they're incredibly biased and will pretty much crap on anything new.
Actually they'll pretty much crap on anything they're paid enough to crap on. Edited by GalacticKegger

Offtopic, but /popcorn is one of the few things that really make me rage. No one cares about how hip you think you are because you are watching the thread and being entertained by it. Contribute or **** imo.

That and 'ur'.

Um ....really? Are u blind, mute, def and ill? I am the creator of this thread and I have participated a great deal in it. Now get off your high horse!

Um ....really? Are u blind, mute, def and ill? I am the creator of this thread and I have participated a great deal in it. Now get off your high horse!
I'm in your corner OP. I helped create a poll shortly after launch when all hell was breaking loose. No love for the people who try to make a difference from those who consider unbiased polls counter-productive to their own agenda. This was a great idea imho, and one that should be respected and paid attention to. Edited by GalacticKegger

I answered the poll, and I don't think it's a bad idea.

However...

1. The poll has 414 people responding to it out of a 500,000 player base of subscribers. Preferred and F2P people can't even answer.

2. It suffers from Self-Selection Bias.

http://srmo.sagepub.com/view/encyclopedia-of-survey-research-methods/n526.xml

In most instances, self-selection will lead to biased data, as the respondents who choose to participate will not well represent the entire target population. A key objective of doing surveys is to measure empirical regularities in a population by sampling a much smaller number of entities that represent the whole target population. Modern sampling theory is predicated on the notion that whether an entity is eligible for interview should be determined by a random mechanism as implemented by the researcher

In other words Self-Selecting polls, ie polls where people choose to answer them rather then are randomly polled, are always biased and don't actually reflect the true opinions of the whole, but only those who are very interested in the topics being polled on. They are great "for fun" but Bioware should not take the results seriously and if they are interested in polling their user base they should conduct a truly random selected poll.

ie polls where people choose to answer them rather then are randomly polled

Forgive me, as I'm probably misunderstanding this, but surely there's still a bias in the randomly selected poll, because then people who think that their "subject" is inherently of worth will vote, whereas those who are ambivalent won't?

I think I'm getting confused by your assertion that "people choose to vote", where it seems you're implying that the sample group is chosen by the vote-taker, because they might be biased in favour of pre-conceived ideas?

It baffles me so many find it in them to want -more- class stories. Is this the type of fiction and writing you expect and want from your video games? 2000 talking heads explaining and unraveling storyline with all the speed a retreating glacier can pull. 20000 babysteps seperated from one another by magics of vanilla WoW era quest strucures. Dialogue cutscenes living and filmed inf ashion that reminds you of Hard Talk episode where camera manhas died mid-shooting. We already have talking heads and irrelevant dialogue wheels producing 40 hours worth of forgettable platitudes and you keep wanting for MORE?

Optimist in me wants to think this is some sort of a distortion.. users of official TOR forums maybe not being an accurate portrayal of playerbase. I dunno:( Also, 5 options to pick is way too much btw. Would have been neater had you made people make a choise. People can just pick alland everything they like now.

Edited by Stradlin

Aren't all polls self-selecting, given that most people who get a random survey thrust at them out of the blue will ignore it? People still choose whether they participate. This is just a discussion, the nay-sayers seem to be treating it with more importance than anyone else.

Let's assume BW did a random poll and put up the top 5 - odds are it would get shouted down with "let me guess... they asked 100 EA bean-counters and the Cartel Market won" style posts.

Aren't all polls self-selecting, given that most people who get a random survey thrust at them out of the blue will ignore it? People still choose whether they participate. This is just a discussion, the nay-sayers seem to be treating it with more importance than anyone else.

Let's assume BW did a random poll and put up the top 5 - odds are it would get shouted down with "let me guess... they asked 100 EA bean-counters and the Cartel Market won" style posts.

It wouldn't be "fair" unless Bioware sent out an email to every active account...

and even then the results would be "biased" because it's asking people who play the game what they want, and not people who don't play the game what they would need in order to play the game, conveniently forgetting that people won't necessarily jump into subscriptions just because a game has PvP, or end-game, or Pokemon functionality, or poker, etc.

Forgive me, as I'm probably misunderstanding this, but surely there's still a bias in the randomly selected poll, because then people who think that their "subject" is inherently of worth will vote, whereas those who are ambivalent won't?

I think I'm getting confused by your assertion that "people choose to vote", where it seems you're implying that the sample group is chosen by the vote-taker, because they might be biased in favour of pre-conceived ideas?

Of course, there is always bias in polls. Even ones run by companies that do it for a living and have a vested interest in getting it right. That's why you see a +-X% polling error next to any poll. The thing is that you follow best practices to reduce that number. Also every polling agency has their own internal formulas that take into account how many people are actually going to vote on election day and how to get the numbers they asked into a sample that accurately reflects the electorate.

Good polls aren't "We picked 500 random people and this is what they said....." they try to mirror as closely as possible the people they are trying to represent, which something on a website like this just can't do.

Done well, polls are amazing when it comes to predicting things, done poorly they are no better then a magic 8-ball.

There was a reason that 538.com was able to predict how every single state in the last presidential election would go, he even predicted correctly which ones were close. ((Florida and Virginia being basically down to the last vote counts.)) It's because he understands polls, and what they say and can tell you.

Aren't all polls self-selecting, given that most people who get a random survey thrust at them out of the blue will ignore it? People still choose whether they participate.

No they aren't. A self selecting poll isn't one you choose to fill out if you are randomly selected, it's one you choose to fill out and has no control by the person putting the poll out as to who can and can't fill the form out.

It's a technical term that means something when it comes to the science of polling. Sort of like how Theory means something different when you are talking about common usage versus scientific usage.

This is just a discussion, the nay-sayers seem to be treating it with more importance than anyone else.

Sure, and it's fine for that.. I just thought it was interesting to consider what it can and can't show... and the flaws of the type of poll that it is. :mon_trap:

Edited by StarMagus

For some reason people seem to want more single player content (class stories) in a multiplayer game.

Well, we're only asking for more of what was already a major part of the game from day one. For some reason, Bioware put a lot of single player content (class stories) in a multiplayer game.

If they put all the same content in a single-player game, I'd play that instead. (And yes, I'd be willing to subscribe to it.) Until then, the closest I can come to single-player SWTOR is multiplayer SWTOR.

And yep, I'm a KotOR fan. Even so, I'd rather have this game, multiplayer and all, than KotOR 3. That's because I think 8 different stories, all in the same galaxy at the same time, is simply awesome...and they never could have swung the budget to do that in a single player game - at least, not in 2006. Though I'd love to see that change, and have huge, ongoing single-player games, financed by subs and cash shops.

I think one of the main reasons this game flopped is because todays gamers just don't want a multiplayer game that focuses on storytelling,

That may be. Another reason could be that today's gamers just don't want a storytelling game that focuses on multiplayer.

What surprises me is the Planets category. I guess, I'm not sure what that means. Not that this can be answered in this poll, but are people looking for more planet to explore or more stories within the existing areas on a given planet?

No they aren't. A self selecting poll isn't one you choose to fill out if you are randomly selected, it's one you choose to fill out and has no control by the person putting the poll out as to who can and can't fill the form out.

It's a technical term that means something when it comes to the science of polling. Sort of like how Theory means something different when you are talking about common usage versus scientific usage.

Sure, and it's fine for that.. I just thought it was interesting to consider what it can and can't show... and the flaws of the type of poll that it is. :mon_trap:

Fair points.

What surprises me is the Planets category. I guess, I'm not sure what that means. Not that this can be answered in this poll, but are people looking for more planet to explore or more stories within the existing areas on a given planet?

I'm guessing most people are interpreting that as "additional planets/planetary story", since there's generally a lot of "I want [planet] added into the game" topics.

Edited by Lesaberisa

People want the Wookie planet so they can do "The Running of the Wookies" where once a year members of the Empire and Republic gather together to put aside their differences. These brave men and women dress in light clothing, carry no weapons, and use no armor... and at a set hour 100 angry Wookies are released to chase after them. The object is to run. Run fast, Run hard, Run for your very lives. For those that survive recovery is theirs.

I answered the poll, and I don't think it's a bad idea.

However...

1. The poll has 414 people responding to it out of a 500,000 player base of subscribers. Preferred and F2P people can't even answer.

2. It suffers from Self-Selection Bias.

http://srmo.sagepub.com/view/encyclopedia-of-survey-research-methods/n526.xml

In other words Self-Selecting polls, ie polls where people choose to answer them rather then are randomly polled, are always biased and don't actually reflect the true opinions of the whole, but only those who are very interested in the topics being polled on. They are great "for fun" but Bioware should not take the results seriously and if they are interested in polling their user base they should conduct a truly random selected poll.

The only way to poll absolutely everyone (other than via email or issuing a phone survey) would be to build this sort of thing either into the launcher where players can fill it out before playing, or into the game itself as part of the support function. We're just players so we can't do that.

In the absence of ubiquity, this is all we as fans can do to help. It is an effort I applaud, and serves to provide a much better picture of what the core player base wants than those "join me or go away" petitions did.

Edited by GalacticKegger

• Dev Post
I don't even see that option when creating a thread.

That is because typically we do not allow polls on the forums. Due to that, forum accounts are not flagged to create them. However, Malckiah managed to find an issue we had with some forum permissions, one that I didn't know existed, and he was able to post this poll. Imagine my surprise when I saw it in GD ;)

That issue has now been corrected and so poll creation should not be an option that anyone can see. Since this poll is already live though, I will let it ride!

Thanks everyone.

-eric

I'm guessing most people are interpreting that as "additional planets/planetary story", since there's generally a lot of "I want [planet] added into the game" topics.

/Agree.

For all the griping about the new planets since launch.... players love new zones in an MMO and planets are our zones in this game.

That is because typically we do not allow polls on the forums. Due to that, forum accounts are not flagged to create them. However, Malckiah managed to find an issue we had with some forum permissions, one that I didn't know existed, and he was able to post this poll. Imagine my surprise when I saw it in GD ;)

That issue has now been corrected and so poll creation should not be an option that anyone can see. Since this poll is already live though, I will let it ride!

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Interesting.

You have to admit though Eric... this poll has been good for the community and good for Bioware. I know you guys have great telemetry in game and many channels for feedback.... but what I appreciate about forum polls is that they separate player projection upon what "other players want" and allow the forum members to all have a equal voice into a reasonable gathering method to actually collectively state what players want.

I can see why polls could get out of hand in the forum and make for more moderation load for you and your staff... but it would be outstanding of you would initiate some polling from time to time to gather inputs from the forum members. We would be grateful if you did. :D

Edited by Andryah

The only way to poll absolutely everyone (other than via email or issuing a phone survey) would be to build this sort of thing either into the launcher where players can fill it out before playing, or into the game itself as part of the support function. We're just players so we can't do that.

You don't need to poll everybody, but 414 or so out of those who go to the forums, out of subscribers 500,000 out of an even larger number of total players is a really small amount out of an already small subset of the player base.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

It's a conspiracy!

*puts on tinfoil helmet*

Malckiah is a dev posing as a normal member, with dev permissions. That's why he's able to post polls, and your post is just the coverup. I see through your lies! You won't get at my brain!!!

*runs in circles with arms flailing*

It's a conspiracy!

*puts on tinfoil helmet*

Malckiah is a dev posing as a normal member, with dev permissions. That's why he's able to post polls, and your post is just the coverup. I see through your lies! You won't get at my brain!!!

*runs in circles with arms flailing*

LOL! You know, I give it just a few posts before it this^^ actually happens.

Edited by Rafaman