Evolution of Star Wars very slow?

Paxtor

There's probably something I've missed here, since I'm not that much into the lore except for what you get from the movies (if even that)

But from what I can see the game, which is meant to be set 3500 years before the movies, the technology seems to be exactly the same.

I'm sure there's a reason why. Anyone care to explain?

It's pretty much just a star wars thing. In fact in alot of respects, the older the technology is in Star Wars, the more advanced. The ancient Sith Lords still have perfectly functioning droids and advanced machinery that are thousands of years old even by the time of TOR, and the Infinite Empire's technology seems to be vastly superior to anything the Republic or Empire has now. Plus, 3000 years is a long time, so it's entirely possible there were a couple technological dark ages between TOR and the original movies.

Much of Star Wars has also plateaued technologically. Or at least it has relatively plateaued, until a new, but by this time extremely rare, scientific breakthrough allows for more advancement.

Also keep in mind that even on Earth weaponry consisted of variations on swords, axes, maces, spears, lances and bows for thousands of years.

A bronze sword might have been more bendable and easier to blunt than a steel one, but essentially it's the exact same weapon.

Though the out-of-lore reason is simply that people want their Star Wars to be Star Warsy.

I like the plateau view, but I think it's a combination of the need to keep the whole thing 'feeling' the same, and also a matter of the very wide view.

We're seeing a few points along a very long time frame. Fashions, technologies, ideals, wars, skirmishes, preferred sporting events, parenting trends, teaching trends, ideologies, leaders, population counts - these things are all likely to change dramatically a little bit at a time over the thousands of years between the snapshots we're getting.

There might be a series of technological down-swings in which (for example) certain materials stop being available for a time, or certain copyrighted technologies are wiped off the galactic map by industrial mishaps (or, indeed, industrial 'mishaps').

Shifts in thought might become more paranoid, a cult of anti-droid fanatics might get someone secretly into the Senate and wipe out that technology for a few years (until people remember that the droids do all the stuff the sentient biologicals don't want to), and the Republic might spend a lot of the intervening time digging itself into a new hole or climbing painfully out of one.

Alternatively, the 'throw-away technology' view we humans have might simply not be practical, and technology might habitually be designed to last for a REALLY long time.

This is all speculation, of course, and the 'true' answer might just be 'because it makes it familiar' or 'because it's easier this way'. Or both. Or all of them.

About the biggest differences I can see between the Old Republic era and the later one, is that shields have become much more common - but they lost personal shielding technology.

I think the biggest difference is actually the prevalence of cortosis weave (due to the corresponding change in the number of Jedi and Sith). With fewer people wielding lightsabers it becomes far less important to weave cortosis into armour - and all the more dramatic and devastating when someone wielding a lightsaber DOES make an appearance.

I think the biggest difference is actually the prevalence of cortosis weave (due to the corresponding change in the number of Jedi and Sith). With fewer people wielding lightsabers it becomes far less important to weave cortosis into armour - and all the more dramatic and devastating when someone wielding a lightsaber DOES make an appearance.

Hmmm, a good point yes there's that. I figured the cortosis weave was just lost later on.

Oh, another big one is bacta. In TOR, kolto is the only healing agent (aside from the Force) in the galaxy. Bacta hadn't been discovered/used yet. And kolto only comes from Manaan.

Once again i post this

Just ask yourself this "Would you want to play a STARWARS game that doesn't resemble STARWARS, be a jedi before the lightsaber was invented, go to planets before they were settled?"

when it comes down to it, you want a universe that evolves as rapidly as real life does you create a COMPLETELY different universe all together and it loses what makes it starwars

Once again i post this

Just ask yourself this "Would you want to play a STARWARS game that doesn't resemble STARWARS, be a jedi before the lightsaber was invented, go to planets before they were settled?"

when it comes down to it, you want a universe that evolves as rapidly as real life does you create a COMPLETELY different universe all together and it loses what makes it starwars

Well forget the technology thing.The Cities of every planet are the same as they are 3000 years later. Take Coruscant for example. The Senate building is like 3000 + years old? The position of the jedi temple is the same as in the movies... I personally think Bioware could have put some more work on the ''3000 years ago'' feeling.

And yes I would be delighted to go to planets before they were settled or actually help with the historical event of that settlement in a quest group much like on Taris (alas a planet unknown in the movies to make comparisons.

Atleast I cant complain about Tatooine. It is as much tatooinish as it would be 10000 years ago. Its a desert after all. :rolleyes:

Edited by Lordkoon

Well forget the technology thing.The Cities of every planet are the same as they are 3000 years later. Take Coruscant for example. The Senate building is like 3000 + years old? The position of the jedi temple is the same as in the movies... I personally think Bioware could have put some more work on the ''3000 years ago'' feeling.

And yes I would be delighted to go to planets before they were settled or actually help with the historical event of that settlement in a quest group much like on Taris (alas a planet unknown in the movies to make comparisons.

Atleast I cant complain about Tatooine. It is as much tatooinish as it would be 10000 years ago. Its a desert after all. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, these are all things that were decided before BioWare even came into it. The location of the Senate Building has probably been the same for over 10,000 years. The location of the Jedi Temple is an easy one to explain.

In 5,000 BBY, the Jedi and the Sith Empire clashed in the Great Hyperspace War. Many worlds were forever scarred in that battle, but the Jedi were able to repulse the invaders. After that, the Republic granted the Jedi land over a Force nexus: a sacred mountain on Coruscant.

As for Tattooine, Tattooine is a desert because it was bombed into nothing but sand by the Infinite Empire.

As for cities remaining the same over three thousand years. Well, Courscant was an entire city-planet before KOTOR even began. There isn't going to be exactly alot of changes once the entire planet is now a city. Aside from that, they've had thousands of years to prefect their architecture before KOTOR even happened. It is far more likely to believe they simply reuse templates which are effective at their purpose much as society does today.

Keep in mind the Republic has existed for over 20,000 years prior to KOTOR.

Edited by Viera

Bacta > Kolto

Medical droids become far more advanced and accurate

Astromech droids can do a lot more

Weapons/military technology vastly improve

And yes there are still personal shield generators IG-88 used one, Kyle Katarn, Jaden Korr, its just by that time the craft was lost or the tech was simply outdated by the time which is why many didn't use them.

this no different than say lord of the rings, or for that matter just about any high fantasy style story/universe.

civilization in these sort of settings are usually thousands of years old, oftentimes built up on the remnants of a former, even greater civilization which fell in some sort of great tragedy. yet their technology is the same at the present as it was in the "golden age"

not at all based on reality, where in a little under 5 thousand years of recorded history we've gone from hooting at fire in caves to sending probes out beyond the edge of our solar system into deep space.

its just something you gotta accept... willing suspension of disbelief.

that sort of thing is done purposefully.

its a common tactic in the genre. it lends a sense of epic-ness to the atmosphere. that this thing has existed here since long before you came into the picture, and it will continue to exist long after.

basically, this device is used to convey the impression that you are only a part of the story, not the whole story (albeit an important part of the story)... its designed to invoke feelings similar to what people experience when they visit the Colosseum in Rome, or the pyramids of Egypt.

I read once that in the old republic double bladed lightsabers and weilding 2 lightsaberss at the same time was frowned upon. So why is just bout everybody using a double blade or weilding two?

jedi frown upon double sabers because its viewed as an aggressive weapon that doesn't exactly fit with their philosophy.

and dual sabers, hell, dual weapons of any kind, are extremely difficult to master, which is why they're pretty uncommon. in the time it takes to become merely proficient with dual wielding, one could usually become an expert in wielding a single weapon.

Edited by Jaidan