The Legacy Alt: Play yourself as a companion!

swdrgn

I am not a Developer but I am a thinker. As I level my main character and now leveling a alt I can not stop thinking about what the Legacy system has in store for future content.

Now I know most people are thinking about a seperate Talant tree which I agree, but want to take it a step further.

I want the ability to summon my other character and use them as my companion.

First thing we need to clear. Obviously this is only for the same faction.

The level mechanics are already in place. Just like your NPC companions and pvp, the level/skills/equipmet/stats is adjusted accordingly.

My Main Character a Bounty Hunter (level 48 atm) and my new low level a Imperial Agent (level 15) are sisters. I would love to summon my Bounty hunter to help my agent. My level 48 Bounty Hunter would become a NPC and I can set her to heal or DPS, Tank, just like a real companion, and my Bounty Hunter would be leveled down to level 15, like a mentor system EQ2 had.

I would also like to summon my level 15 Imperial Agent to fight as a companion with my level 48 Bounty Hunter. Like in pvp, my agent would have the stats and HP increased to a level 48 , just limited to her given skill/abilities. I can vicariously play with my alt without ruining my leveling and storyline experience

I think for balance reasons your alt companion EXP would be turned off

Here are some other things I would like to see.

When you have an alt as a companion you generate more legacy exp bonus.

The ability to toggle on/off map and discovery locations. Some people want their new alt to re discover things on their own. Others don't care.

A shared bank. Instead of mailing your alt money what ever you sell can be banked and availible to both characters. When you send your alt to sell things they can keep some money for themselves

In story mode your companion will either be dismissed, be replaced with your default class companion or stand idle and have no interaction, mainly for realistic program and development issues. The alt gains no affection, no lightside or darkside points. No rewards, no commendations. The alt is only for combat.

Special awarded Orange gear should be a bind to account and made for both your alt and your main. It would have open slots, just an empty piece so you can tailor it to your characters. BOP items can now be transfered to your alt using the companion tab.

The ability to have access to a special Title or rewards for people who use this system.

Curious on what people think. Trolling is expected but replies with Intellect and constructive thinking is welcome.

Edited by swdrgn

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what would you do about Class Story associated with an alt?

If i were a Marauder and i was leveling a Sorc Healing Alt or BH Tank Alt, then wouldn't i loose out on my alts story arcs when leveling them alongside my main only doing my mains quests.

I could see them possibly implementing a the story elements as "playable companion mission" rather than the cutscenes that setup mission that they go on off screen. However it wouldn't be the same.

I like that idea. :) Although I'd love to have my Bounty Hunter aid my Smuggler, I can see how that would be difficult to work out.

Also, there will be Bind On Legacy equipment - whatever that means. ^^

Oh I would too as a "uneasy temperary alliance" feel to it, but it would just be very unrealistic from a story/faction mode.

Imagine your Sith assasin ordered to slaughter republic troops as your Republic Trooper alt companion is standing behind you mowing his own guys down with a gun. lol

But what would you do about Class Story associated with an alt?

If i were a Marauder and i was leveling a Sorc Healing Alt or BH Tank Alt, then wouldn't i loose out on my alts story arcs when leveling them alongside my main only doing my mains quests.

I could see them possibly implementing a the story elements as "playable companion mission" rather than the cutscenes that setup mission that they go on off screen. However it wouldn't be the same.

swdrgn suggested that your alt would not gain levels during the process. Obviously, the character would still be scaled alongside the levels your current character gains - but when you return to your alt as primary character, he/she would be like you left them. No story progress there.

That's how I understood and favor it.

BUMP For a great idea. I like it a lot!

Good thinking OP!

I mean, seriously, there are some ideas that are "meh" and some that just are dumb. Some are better than others, but this might be the best idea I've ever read on these forums.

Edited by Gashers

This is actually a really cool idea, and I'd be all for it.

I do see a few problems with the combat system, though. Would the Alt-Companion have access to all their skills, or just the ones that available at the same level as the main? And what about specs and people who multi-spec, where skills aren't necessarily associated with a certain level? I could see a problem if you had, say, a level 50 Corruption Sorcerer with access to Revivification while your new main is at level 10. That might put the game on super easy mode for some, which isn't really that bad of a thing.

Still, awesome idea, would really love to see something similar implemented!

Edited by DrMelhattan

Did they specify how the legacy system is going to work? Are their any in-combat bonuses?

Here is the link to James Ohlen's description of the legacy system.

I'll translate:

"James Ohlen: You can create your legacy family tree. There are legacy talents, much like perks. Everything you do with your legacy characters gets you legacy xp which in turn gain you legacy levels. Every legacy level will unlock new legacy-talents. There are also "bind on legacy"-items.

It's really huge. We want to integrate Star Wars' family dynamic. Obviously, the relationship between Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker is the most famous in movie history - the [legacy] system has been inspired by that."

I can't find the other link - but in another interview he talks about you beig able to define the relationships between your alts - sisters, brothers, parents, children, married...

/edit: Color

Edited by TheRealMike

OP this idea reeks....of awesomeness!

No reason they can't have a few canned dialogue responses though. Heck, even throw in the ability to set relationship status for our alts, marking them as either siblings, spouses, friends, descendants, etc. That way maybe you could even have your legacy companion refer to you appropriately in cutscenes, or in the little one-liners they spout off when you click on them.

Even with just the barebones ability to make an alt a companion though, I love this idea. I've always wanted to play with myself. (See what I did there?)

Edit:

I can't find the other link - but in another interview he talks about you beig able to define the relationships between your alts - sisters, brothers, parents, children, married...

Oh, this is news to me. Awesome then, if alt-companions would be implemented this part of the idea would already be taken care of then. Sweet!

Edited by MegaBubble

I have always loved the idea of "an alt as a companion" I tend to play two toons, a tank and a healer. If is could roll my tank out as a "pet" for my healer i would love it.

There would need to be some caveats though, when your alt is your companion you would only have a limited subset of skills like the other companions.

This is actually a really cool idea, and I'd be all for it.

I do see a few problems with the combat system, though. Would the Alt-Companion have access to all their skills, or just the ones that available at the same level as the main? And what about specs and people who multi-spec, where skills aren't necessarily associated with a certain level? I could see a problem if you had, say, a level 50 Corruption Sorcerer with access to Revivification while your new main is at level 10. That might put the game on super easy mode for some, which isn't really that bad of a thing.

Still, awesome idea, would really love to see something similar implemented!

Think of the alt companion system as PVP. Once you enter the arena, you are leveled to match the other players, but you can only use your abilities you have at that level.

Also for specs I think there should be a Heal/DPS/Tank stance. What ever stance you put your alt in will use the best of it's given abilities to use. My bounty hunter is a healer. As a companion alt NPC. It would use kolto missles and shield, healing scan etc.

If i respec my merc to be DPS. I hit the DPS stance. Then she will fire unload, tracer missle heat seaking missle etc.

Love it!

they could impltement a version of this that just used current companion ability bars that suit the AC chosen, for your alts allowing BW to get something like this into the game sooner rather than later.

also BW give us legacy details.... the blank window is killing me