Ranked. How long do classes need to be broken before fixed?

Lhancelot

When 3.0 was coming out, I was really hopeful. I thought, this is the time when Bioware can address the balance issues in pvp particularly in ranked.

We the players are forced to enter a 4 vs 4 setup if we want to play ranked. The very least Bioware can do is, make it so ALL classes are viable and can participate in ranked pvp! How is this not viewed as a big broken issue that should be addressed asap?!

I will run down what I see in ranked atm. This coming from my personal perspective, as a healing sorc who does ranked on TEH server. These are my opinions so I am sure many will disagree. I feel like venting though.

PTs. Nerf PT/VG Advanced prototype burst and consider even slowing their movement down it's a bit overboard particularly with the boost to Hydraulic Overdrive. Pyro PT actually could use a buff. there's a reason no one plays pyro now, but every dps PT is a AP!

Sorcs. Consider toning down Sorc Lightning spec. Madness sorc could actually probably be given a little more oomph now. Madness lacks burst, where lightning has too much.

Snipers. This is sad. This class has not been viable in 4 vs 4 since the beginning, and is STILL not viable! They need some better survivability because when focused they have NO CHANCE.

Merc DPS. In 4 vs 4 setup, they cannot avoid focus AT ALL. They die too fast! Maybe as someone else mentioned, give them the PT buff to hydraulic overdrive? They need more escapes/survivability.

Sins. I am mixed on this class, mostly I think they are fine. I honestly do not find them overwhelmingly impossible to manage in pvp. I do not find their burst so crazy that it's impossible to live through, at least I can live long enough where I can get help or prolong my life for more than a few seconds.

Ops dps. ops might need a small boost in their damage output when it comes to burst. I find 90% of ops are more of a nuisance to me, but a good ops can be disruptive and somewhat painful. I just think they should be a little tougher, maybe I just have not ran into a superb dps ops yet.

Marauders. Need a buff. They should be given a bit more survivability. Their damage seems fair as a good mara really, really hurts. It just seems they die so fast. As a healer it's a challenge to keep them up even when I pour heals into them.

Juggs dps. I am mixed on this one. they do great damage and this is fine. I think if anything, maybe their survivability is a bit too good. They shouldn't be able to self heal themselves to full along with having so many defensive cooldowns making them so hard to kill.

Healers. I am surprised to say this, but I think healers seem fine across the board. All healers are viable, and I see them all capable of putting up the same numbers. The best of each of the healers all put up great numbers from my experience.

Tanks. From what I can tell, all tanks do their jobs well. I do not see any tanks that way outshine the others. This is coming from my experience as a healer. They all seem to guard equally well.

Edited by Lhancelot
Forgot to add something

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wondering myself if Bioware has plans to do some balancing soon. I'm guessing PVP balance isn't in their plans and they are waiting until more PVE'ers are producing data from operations.

HeHe, but take the powertech's two dps trees for example. On a single target, they'll parse almost the same, but in pvp their numbers will not.

Wow this guy is amazing, why he is not in combat team? This thread uhhh, he know what is balance!

I feel like I am being trolled here. But, hey I drank a lot of coffee this morning, and felt like venting/writing out my personal experiences regarding my class and how other classes seem to impact me (a healing sorc/sage).

I actually enjoy close, good battles. I don't want to see a class crippled to uselessness. Some classes are pretty balanced. Some classes are a bit over the top, and then some are just bad when they are in ranked 4 vs 4.

I guess it's a bit idealistic expecting ALL classes to be equally useful and fun in ranked. I guess it can't and won't be. Doesn't mean we can't hope and dream though, right? :p

sigh...i guess Bioware just needs to make 1 class so everyone can be happy. I dub this post, communist.

You know, the word "Communism" in the west carries an evil undertone to it... The word actually derives from "communal" or "community", the idea behind Communism was a good one. Just not very practical. Like this post I guess. :confused:

You know, the word "Communism" in the west carries an evil undertone to it... The word actually derives from "communal" or "community", the idea behind Communism was a good one. Just not very practical. Like this post I guess. :confused:

Your post isn't as far off as these goons want to imply.

While I don't agree with everything in this post, the OP seems to be balanced in his comments and this thread is better than most of the hysteria we've seen.

That said, other than Marauders needing their survival buffed a bit, I'm not convinced yet that any spec is in need of major adjustments. The general power level has increased a lot. There is more damage, more healing, more CC and more counters. This suggests that skillful use of all these new options is required to succeed in this new environment.

While I don't agree with everything in this post, the OP seems to be balanced in his comments and this thread is better than most of the hysteria we've seen.

That said, other than Marauders needing their survival buffed a bit, I'm not convinced yet that any spec is in need of major adjustments. The general power level has increased a lot. There is more damage, more healing, more CC and more counters. This suggests that skillful use of all these new options is required to succeed in this new environment.

Snipers need their survivablity buffed just as much, if not more so than Marauders.

I try to have an unbiased opinion regarding the balance of all the classes, because variation is what makes it fun in the warzones.

It gets old facing sins, pts, sorcs, and juggs. I would enjoy seeing some classes buffed and some toned down just so that there would be a higher variation of group compositions.

I try to have an unbiased opinion regarding the balance of all the classes, because variation is what makes it fun in the warzones.

It gets old facing sins, pts, sorcs, and juggs. I would enjoy seeing some classes buffed and some toned down just so that there would be a higher variation of group compositions.

Which is why I came to believe that the next BIG feature of the PvP MatchMaker should be to include class variety and to avoid class stacking

Which is why I came to believe that the next BIG feature of the PvP MatchMaker should be to include class variety and to avoid class stacking

The problem I assume is that there simply aint enough people queing for ranked. As it stands, ranked inconsistently pops as it is. Imagine having to wait till the proper class composition was available. :confused:

In my opinion, this is a "vicious circle" :

- There are not enough people queuing for ranked, so the MatchMalker takes whatever is possible, I mean, everyone ( = every player) is taken.

And because the Matchmaker takes everyone, it must compensate this "take everything" strategy by applying other measures to compensate that. And fails.

- And because of the Matchmakers "take everything" strategy, not well trained people are matched against extremely well trained people.

And because not well trained / not well equipped players are matched against extremely well trained / geared characters / players, those who are not so good get more easily steamrolled.

And those who are steamrolled quit.

Thus reducing the player pool even more, Which results in the need in the Matchmaker using the "take everything" strategy to even get any matches / pops at all.

And then the circle begins anew.

This "vicious circle" needs to be broken.

And until this happens, there'll be no progress, only a downfacing spiral of quitting people.

Imho.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

In my opinion, this is a "vicious circle" :

- There are not enough people queuing for ranked, so the MatchMalker takes whatever is possible, I mean, everyone ( = every player) is taken.

And because the Matchmaker takes everyone, it must compensate this "take everything" strategy by applying other measures to compensate that. And fails.

- And because of the Matchmakers "take everything" strategy, not well trained people are matched against extremely well trained people.

And because not well trained / not well equipped players are matched against extremely well trained / geared characters / players, those who are not so good get more easily steamrolled.

And those who are steamrolled quit.

Thus reducing the player pool even more, Which results in the need in the Matchmaker using the "take everything" strategy to even get any matches / pops at all.

And then the circle begins anew.

This "vicious circle" needs to be broken.

And until this happens, there'll be no progress, only a downfacing spiral of quitting people.

Imho.

This is all true, that's why I really wish there was some way they could help out some of the classes that are never played in ranked. If these classes were made viable, we would have more people queing ranked imo. At least a slight increase anyway, and that's better than nothing.

This is all true, that's why I really wish there was some way they could help out some of the classes that are never played in ranked. If these classes were made viable, we would have more people queing ranked imo. At least a slight increase anyway, and that's better than nothing.

Are you talking about team ranked or solo ranked?

In team ranked many of the classes that have "issues" are actually very strong.

Lmfao. There you go with that viable word again. Have you ever even played an arena before? What happened to a player using creativity and ingenuity with their class abilities? PvP in the real world is more than simply completing your rotations. I find your problems with "viability" absolutely hilarious.

The problem I assume is that there simply aint enough people queing for ranked. As it stands, ranked inconsistently pops as it is. Imagine having to wait till the proper class composition was available. :confused:

That's not entirely true. If you pay attention to the setup of the teams in solo Q, you will notice that there disproportionally many teams that consist of 3 players from the same class, while there is none or just 1 of that very same class in the opposite team. So at least a part of the problem lies in their codes / algorithms.

As for the balance:

I think you are too soft when it comes to the sins.

I also think the sniper's problem is not as big as they always want to make us believe. True, they don't have one specific skill to take them compeltely out of combat completely for some time. But they have a variety of skill that prolong their lives in PvP - I.e. they cannot be charged at by the time the warrier gets to the sniper, the sorc is already in the bubble. They cannot be cc'ed which allows them greated dps and escape chances. Their escape ability always works and has a low cd (just to mention a few things). All of that and more helps them to stay alive especially since it takes much longer for the enemy to get to them and deal damage, while the sniper is already dealing damage and cc'ing his opponents. The main issue they have is that their survivability depends on the use of several abilities rather than 1 or 2 as it does for most of the other classes. But that doesn't mean that their survivability is inferior AND it gives them the opportunity to adapte the usage of the survivability abiliies to the situation at hand.

Wow this guy is amazing, why he is not in combat team? This thread uhhh, he know what is balance!

Given that he asks for more gunslinger buffs I call him a troll. The only thing that really needs attention is the massive drop in Sent Mains in the Top Tiers of PvP and PvE. From a good doozen Nightmare Cabable Sents I knew on my server only 3 remain since 3.0 dropped. Thats a 75% loss, I would call Sents need massive buffs to their survivability. Gunslingers are fine, if they know how to play.....wait Ranged DPS and knowing how to play......I knew I had something wrong in my logic.

P.S.: Hey Combatteam, tell me how I am supposed to remain competitive on the top tier with a Sentinel Watchman in a PvP Enviroment. No Cutting edges, you may say if you produced **** as yoou have and you may promise us some SIGNIFICANT BUFFS without nerfing us right away.

Snipers need their survivablity buffed just as much, if not more so than Marauders.

I mildly disagree. I see so many Snipers who fail to even use their absorb shield or their big resistance shield. It is possible that they could use help, but the new Dodge/Evasion for them is near immunity to damage even if they (unjustly) lost their purge from it.

I also think the sniper's problem is not as big as they always want to make us believe. True, they don't have one specific skill to take them compeltely out of combat completely for some time. But they have a variety of skill that prolong their lives in PvP - I.e. they cannot be charged at by the time the warrier gets to the sniper, the sorc is already in the bubble. They cannot be cc'ed which allows them greated dps and escape chances. Their escape ability always works and has a low cd (just to mention a few things). All of that and more helps them to stay alive especially since it takes much longer for the enemy to get to them and deal damage, while the sniper is already dealing damage and cc'ing his opponents. The main issue they have is that their survivability depends on the use of several abilities rather than 1 or 2 as it does for most of the other classes. But that doesn't mean that their survivability is inferior AND it gives them the opportunity to adapte the usage of the survivability abiliies to the situation at hand.

The amount of ignorance in this post is unfu*king-believable. Please stop making statements about what should and shoudn't be buffed. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Edited by kvandertulip

I've been wondering myself if Bioware has plans to do some balancing soon. I'm guessing PVP balance isn't in their plans and they are waiting until more PVE'ers are producing data from operations.

Bioware and balance do not fit in same phrase. They assume this game's balanced, they are arrogant, they do not change things only when theres no more, when they cannot make any other excuse.

If bioware was a good company to do that stuff, isntead garbage cartel stuff, they'll start to fix balance since first week, but they dont.

Want a balance patch, wait for something like 8 months and you'll see. Perhaps.

I mildly disagree. I see so many Snipers who fail to even use their absorb shield or their big resistance shield. It is possible that they could use help, but the new Dodge/Evasion for them is near immunity to damage even if they (unjustly) lost their purge from it.

You would think that is the case, but all our cooldowns combined do very little when we are being focused. 2 GCDs of Dodge does very little.