How does your Guild handle loot distribution?

I recently joined a guild on my server (mind you there aren't many ppl there to begin with, 6 lightsabers total on the GTN) and quickly started raiding again in both first (play dps) and second OPS grps (play healer). I however noticed that after defeating bosses for a week or less that, all item modification mods and all crafting mats go right to the guild. Afterwards we have the option to purchase them from the guild (lol) for half the GTN price (which on most if not all the items is simply non-existant at this point in the game). So my point / question would be to all : does this seem fair? I truly want to say that some ppl don't pay for those at all (the numbers fluctuate weekly on amounts of items/mats but amount of cash remains roughly the same). To me, and I could be totally wrong here, I feel like I am being muled for mats and items for the upper echelon. I'm not here to "rip" my guild or anything like that. Some good ppl there. What I am here to do is question how other guilds handle such things.

We have two different loot systems, depending on what we're doing. Our main "raiding with progression" group has been running together for a long time, even before joining the same guild (we used to just PuG), so we don't have a hard-and-fast loot system. Basically, we trust everyone to be considerate. The general policy is main-spec > off-spec > companion > vendor. Depending on if you use your off-spec a lot, it may get pushed up above other people's off-specs. Mod rolls (for main spec) and mod transfers (for alts) are handled on a case-by-case basis. Winning a piece doesn't affect subsequent rolls. Rare mats are randomed (unless someone really needs it).

Our second loot system is used for our open guild raiding, which tends to be more variable compositions based on sign-ups and availability. This loot system is similar to the above, except that winning a piece means you cannot roll on a subsequent piece for your class unless the other members of your class have won a roll. Once all members of a class have won a roll, it resets and everyone rolls again. A bit like suicide kings, but without the pre-assigned priorities. Rare mats, mods and anything that's not BoP are taken by the raid leader and distributed *afterward* to even out loot distribution. This way, everyone comes away from the raid with something, even if they didn't win any set pieces.

Both of these systems work amazingly well. I don't recommend the first system unless you really know, trust and like the people you're running with. The second system works astonishingly well in almost any group composition, and I highly recommend it. We've tried suicide kings in the past, as well as a complex statistical system that involves weighting rolls based on raid opportunities, but this one is definitely the best.

What we do...

If you need it, it's your's. If more than one needs it for their main raid spec, we do "/roll" on it between the players whom need it. Highest roll gets it. If it's the last piece from the raid you need, you automatically get it so we can pull in another player to get geared.

All crafting mats go to the guild bank (for distribution to official guild crafters that craft items for fresh 50s to get into hard/nightmare raids faster) , but mods/enhancements/armoring/schematics are rolled upon in the raid.

Main Looter puts the item into the chat box for everyone to see (we also use vent). If you need the item for your character, then you roll. Highest number wins. If no one needs the item, we do a companion roll. If it isn't needed by anyone (schematic) it gets randomly assigned out. Seems to work out nicely.

Main Looter puts the item into the chat box for everyone to see (we also use vent). If you need the item for your character, then you roll. Highest number wins. If no one needs the item, we do a companion roll. If it isn't needed by anyone (schematic) it gets randomly assigned out. Seems to work out nicely.

And if we are running Master looter, this is the priority list. One roll for self. Nobody rolls, one roll for comps. Nobody rolls, it gets randomed.

So my point / question would be to all : does this seem fair? I truly want to say that some ppl don't pay for those at all (the numbers fluctuate weekly on amounts of items/mats but amount of cash remains roughly the same). To me, and I could be totally wrong here, I feel like I am being muled for mats and items for the upper echelon.

Yes, to answer your question, it's fair. And I bet some of the 'upper echelon' feels like they're being muled to get you gear.

You're talking about crafting mats and mods/crystals/etc. Who cares about them? Just be glad they're carrying you.

To answer the question in your thread title... we force loot on people. Most Ops groups that are actually doing well have people that don't care that much about loot. That's part of the reason I know they're carrying you.

We have the same system as OP talks about, BoP loot gets distributed quite fairly, with 2 diffrent loot systems, depending on which raid we're talking about. BoE items go to gbank, where RAIDING players gets to request said items and get them free of charge, if item is requested for alts, it's going to cost(even raiding members alts) 50% of GTN price to get them. Materials dropping from raids are put into guildbank and stationed there untill requested, if a person is trying to gain him self a augmented piece he will have to sell the piece he creates, and spend the money he gained from that on buying new materials, now he could also chose to give the item to gbank for distribution for other members, but he would then have to wait another week to request the same items required to craft the item, seing as if 1 raid clears SM and HM EC you get aprox enough materials to craft one implant.

If the items that are tradeable are not requested at all for about a week, it gets sold on the GTN and the credits go straight into guildbank, where they will be stored untill certain items are requested that the guild does not currently have, for instance say gbank has 20m credits, and 1.3 gets released, the guild could spend quite a lot on Augment kits, and distribute them to their raiding members.

There is no reason for the people who do not raid, to get the items free of charge from the guild, we offer those items to them for 50% of the GTN which is a bargain, considering they havn't worked for them. If they didn't have a guild they would have to pay 100% of the GTN price for them, no?

Yes, to answer your question, it's fair. And I bet some of the 'upper echelon' feels like they're being muled to get you gear.

You're talking about crafting mats and mods/crystals/etc. Who cares about them? Just be glad they're carrying you.

To answer the question in your thread title... we force loot on people. Most Ops groups that are actually doing well have people that don't care that much about loot. That's part of the reason I know they're carrying you.

Ya ok there boss. When I joined 4-5 weeks ago I was already in mostly T2-3 and hadn't played the char actively since the first Ilum nerf (being BM when it mattered). I got gear ofc, but carried? You simply have no idea what you're talking about. The grp I was placed into was MAIN OPS and was still in HM KP/EV progression for other ppl. None of which is my fault or concern. I play this game and any MMO for that matter to be as self sufficient as possible regardless, as most ppl would. If any gripe I have, and was curious how other guilds were doing things elsewhere, was the distribution of Rakata mods / high end craft gear as to if it were sold to the ppl who watched it drop in front of them.

I'm certainly not mad, but you are, bro.

For us. Mats goes into guild bank, you ask the officer if you need it and he will you it within reason. If you need it you roll for mods,enhancements. If no one needs it , it goes into the bank.

You /roll on any item you need for your character. Ops leader will announce companion role if no one needs the item.

Essentially, we run with Master Looter.

For equipment, the priority is:

• Needed to complete main set
  • Needed to complete off set
  • Companions
  • Random if no one rolls

Sometimes, the group leader is lazy and just randoms Columi/Exo pieces while running hard mode.

For schematics, the priority is:

• Those that can use the schematic and don't already have it
  • Random

For vehicles and the KP hat, it's:

• Those that don't have a Desler or the KP hat
  • Those that have a Desler but not the one being rolled for
  • Random

Mats are:

• Rolled against a PU player if we ran with one and the player wants to roll for it
  • Guild bank

Armorings/mods/enhancements are:

• People that need it roll
  • Guild bank

Edited by ImmortalAlien

Loot council.

All mats to the guild bank, all unneeded things to the correct crafters so they can craft and crit them for guildies. Most offset items go to artificer to RE mods and enhancements... Artificers use daily comms to buy trinkets to RE, specific crafters buy things like implants to RE, then use purple/blue mats to mass craft things to try and crit for guildies (implants,earpieces, relics), all non crits go on GTN. Use money to pay for everyones repairs.

Essentially, we run with Master Looter.

For equipment, the priority is:

• Needed to complete main set
  • Needed to complete off set
  • Companions
  • Random if no one rolls

Sometimes, the group leader is lazy and just randoms Columi/Exo pieces while running hard mode.

For schematics, the priority is:

• Those that can use the schematic and don't already have it
  • Random

For vehicles and the KP hat, it's:

• Those that don't have a Desler or the KP hat
  • Those that have a Desler but not the one being rolled for
  • Random

Mats are:

• Rolled against a PU player if we ran with one and the player wants to roll for it
  • Guild bank

Armorings/mods/enhancements are:

• People that need it roll
  • Guild bank

This is pretty much exactly how my guild runs loot. The only exceptions are that all mods/enhancements/armorings are also treated like crafting mats and are looted by the ML for guild bank. Then if you need it, you can grab it from the GB.

We are making some on-the-fly rules regarding 61 loot currently. To ensure everyone gets some gear, we're limiting wins for 61 gear to 1 per player per run - so if I win the bracers on T&Z, I can't roll on offhand on F&S for example (unless of course everyone else already has it or no one rolls for main spec).

And hording mats is also shady.

Why?

Before the augment kit thing was announced we needed a way to decide who should get crit crafted things, and the only way to control the crafting is to completely control the crafting. We assigned specific people to be the guild crafters, they got all the loot to DE that needed to be DE'd, and they craft our pieces. This way we control who gets the crit crafted pieces.

How are you going to weight who gets their crit crafted gear first and who doesn't?

Only fair way to do it is roll on it

If you can't trust your team to roll on what they need why are you running with them?

Not to mention the obvious implications of GMs/Officers getting their gear first. Which is bull

You roll on mats, then give it to crafters when you have enough for a piece. Trade/Loan them when needed/wanted.

Edited by Mookind

My guild uses master looter (primarily so people have time to decide if they want something or not). People /roll for main spec, then /roll for off-spec/companion of no one wants it main spec.

I remember the good ol' days of using DKP or EP/GP, but I'd be very surprised if anyone cared about the loot in this game enough to do anything requiring record-keeping.

Edit: to more directly answer the OP, crafting mats on our runs are just randomed out, not placed in the guild bank or anything.

Edited by Valtrim

How are you going to weight who gets their crit crafted gear first and who doesn't?

Only fair way to do it is roll on it

If you can't trust your team to roll on what they need why are you running with them?

Not to mention the obvious implications of GMs/Officers getting their gear first. Which is bull

You roll on mats, then give it to crafters when you have enough for a piece. Trade/Loan them when needed/wanted.

Loot council makes those decisions, just like loot council decides who get what loot. It's based on different criteria, like attendance percentages, time with guild, how skilled that player is, how essential they are, how big an upgrade it is, etc...

Loot council. Any serious progression raiding guild is more likely than not going to use loot council. In fact, I've yet to see one that doesn't, going from my experience in both WoW and SWTOR.

I love the stipulation that "anything not done like me, is not serious".

DKP and SK are still live and well, and more drama free than loot council.

loot council works great if everyone's on the same page. if not, the scent of favoritism is too easily caught.

I love the stipulation that "anything not done like me, is not serious".

DKP and SK are still live and well, and more drama free than loot council.

loot council works great if everyone's on the same page. if not, the scent of favoritism is too easily caught.

Relax. Note I said "more likely than not" and "in my experience".

I guess I've been lucky to always be a part of solid guilds more interested in defeating content than selfishly loot whoring. Loot council has always worked, whereas my first guild in vanilla WoW which used DKP had soooo much loot drama, dkp hoarding, and other pains in the tuchus. Also, SK spreads loot out, yes, but it doesn't maximize raid effectiveness or account for the necessities of a new encounter, someone's set bonuses, etc. etc.

Relax. Note I said "more likely than not" and "in my experience".

I guess I've been lucky to always be a part of solid guilds more interested in defeating content than selfishly loot whoring. Loot council has always worked, whereas my first guild in vanilla WoW which used DKP had soooo much loot drama, dkp hoarding, and other pains in the tuchus. Also, SK spreads loot out, yes, but it doesn't maximize raid effectiveness or account for the necessities of a new encounter, someone's set bonuses, etc. etc.

there's no 1-size-fits-all loot solution. most of the decision will actually depend on the guild structure.

Like, Dulfy's guild does /roll for loot, but it's not a problem for them because they have exactly 8 players in the guild, so there's no real problem of the loot being spread too thin among people who aren't helping raid progression.

whereas my guild is supercasual, and we have 2 different sets of people with raid priorities depending on the day of raid. SK list works better for us.

it's always interesting looking at the chat log trying to figure out *** is going on with loot when we join up to do NMP.