DPS Mercs SUCK.

Xhyron

I didn't play back then but i have seen movies in which rocket punch pushes enemies back.Don't know before which patch it was.

Why the hell did they nerf it?If they implement it again ,combined with the new ability from the expansion a lot of pvp problems with be solved for my favorite class(yes im insane as the op)

Aww man I loved that move back in the day also loved the 30m electro dart so broken hearted.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people have been saying merc suck for at least 6 months now probally longer. considering how op powertech and jugg are, I do not think it would be that big of a deal if merc became a little op after being seen as trash for so long.

as long as powertech and jugg are still this strong, nobody is going to be calling for a merc nerf if it gets buffed properly.

powertech is strong but I have alot more fun playing merc than playing powertech. I would be happy if merc was at least as strong as a powertech, also I think merc has some mobility and cast time issues.

I agree with this. Mercs need somthing to survive PvP anyone can interrupt their abilities constantly or even always. They are just not great 1v1. I mean I have fought 1v1 fights and won, as an arsenal, but they probably just sucked as players.

• 2 weeks later...

Clearly anyone who thinks Mercs are terrible at DPS do not know how to play the game.

We are doing astounding DPS (as we did back in 1.7). I was pulling ~2300 DPS 6 months ago. Recently came back to the game to notice a lot of buffs.

Clearly anyone who thinks Mercs are terrible at DPS do not know how to play the game.

We are doing astounding DPS (as we did back in 1.7). I was pulling ~2300 DPS 6 months ago. Recently came back to the game to notice a lot of buffs.

merc probally still is the worst class, i dont think any of its specs will be popular in rated wz. I think the class is much better now then it was though and i am playing it.

• 1 month later...
Maybe use a PVP spec?

I wish there was a way to put all of these PVP whining threads in the PVP forum and keep them out of here.

They are frustrated and asking for help (albeit a while back), anybody who has played merc and is not a gaming god or has their head in a dark place knows why.

I have come to the conclusion from the SW story line that Bobba Fett is so good because he uses training and skill to beat his opponent not a born talent.

After 2.0 I am just starting to be able to go 1v1 with other classes without a sudden panick (also played a few others classes for a while and a ton of duels). Also as ranged you arefarther out and in some scenarios the last one standing as they go through folks and that is why you have 5-7 folks on you with a horrible death. If that happens don't pop any long cool down but spam for as much damage as possible and die and come back, why we are so much slower than other heavy armor is a pain (not the specs but while running next to others). Save the good abilities for 1v1 or game breakers. Keep track of your DPS (love electronet on DPS) also use your healing for some xtra medals and team support. it does stink that our ranged damage/heal totals are worse on avg than sorc (from checking my dps and theirs) also more people play sorcs/sages and they know how to help each other.

Also being removed at distance really makes you a good target for stealth/snipes. As far as game play that should be their target. They tend to follow the same path many times so watch for their tricks. Yes the best huttball positions are also great for pulling into fire traps etc. Pure dps gunslingers and snipes are easier to hit than the more mobile heal/hit classes(forgot names sorry). Even if you cant kill them and they can mess with your dps/medals because of evasion/trickery, they need to go and every second you put them under the gun you are helping someone else mainly the heals and those taking the node.

I love playing arsenal from a pure gameplay point of view, it is just harder. I have also noticed in my other hobbies sports. The Flyfishermen, traditional archers, telemark skiiers and single speed mtn bikers who stick with it tend to be better at their sports than their easy mode counter parts.

It is sad but true Mercs are the worst dps. I my self have a 50 merc we cant beat any other dps class. We are at the bottom of the food chain of :(

Mercs were never bottom of the food chain. They most likely will never be at the bottom of the food chain. Electro net + tracer + heatseekers + fusion for massive group dot = slaughter fest. Sure it may seem like you have low survivability, but you certainly haven't played a Madness Assassin if you think you have low survivabliity......

• 1 month later...

How I view it as...

Leave a merc alone and he will definitely tear apart people. Most decent RWZ groups will automatically focus a merc down real quick as it pretty much locks them down fully. A quick stun or CC on a healer and the merc is dead. You may not even have to go as far as that.

The addition to Hydraulic Overrides was nice, but that alone won't keep us from surviving. Sorcs have quite a bit of saves (sprint, shield, bubble), where as Mercs just have a few things that reduce damage taken and increases health regeneration. That is why I never got into RWZ with my Merc as I know the outcome before already getting into it.

How I view it as...

Leave a merc alone and he will definitely tear apart people. Most decent RWZ groups will automatically focus a merc down real quick as it pretty much locks them down fully. A quick stun or CC on a healer and the merc is dead. You may not even have to go as far as that.

The addition to Hydraulic Overrides was nice, but that alone won't keep us from surviving. Sorcs have quite a bit of saves (sprint, shield, bubble), where as Mercs just have a few things that reduce damage taken and increases health regeneration. That is why I never got into RWZ with my Merc as I know the outcome before already getting into it.

its a hard class to master, we do more damage then sorcs now. at least i do, if properly min/maxed done on merc/commando. they drop people like flies. 6-10k crits every 15 secs on HSM/demo round is good, throw in railshot. trust me getting nuked by 10k HSM/demo round followed by 4-7k railshot is not a good feeling.

now all we need is ability to get 6 more spec points and we can get super strong railshots. superheated rails in pyrotech is amazing.

Merc dps is good for proc cd's for pyrotech it is railshot which is helpful for burst, for arsenal merc It is unload which now gets a 30% armor penetration bonus added on if you get advanced targeting which puts a total of 85% armor penetration if you have the tracer missile debuff is on. The biggest strong suit of arsenal mercs right now is the fact that unload can put a slowdown on your target which makes us a very useful asset in huttball since we can use electro net and unload on the ball carrier or various enemies. Since 2.0 our burst ability has increased due to the fact we get 2 power surge instead of 1 and since our tracer missile debuff only needs one hit to add the armor penetration. We also have more abilities that make us less squishy like the chaff flare buff that absorbs a attack and our shield comes around faster since we have energy rebounded which adds a little shield to us and reduces the cd time on our shield. As arsenal we aren't as immobile anymore since we have a fail safe if we need to run (which we had before just not everyone used) hydraulic overrides makes you run 35% faster and makes you immune to movement impairing abilities such as slowdowns and kickbacks while you can still get stunned it is unique in the fact that you can run while being immune and the only true defense against and not movement impairing break is given to snipers. In the arsenal spec you get a 6 second bonus to it which makes us very good at ball carrying. While we might not be the the best we aren't the worst dps and what we lack in burst we make up for in versatility since we can instant self heal since all mercs get kolto missile and for arsenal your target lock can make your healing scan once you have a stack of 3.

Merc dps is good for proc cd's for pyrotech it is railshot which is helpful for burst, for arsenal merc It is unload which now gets a 30% armor penetration bonus added on if you get advanced targeting which puts a total of 85% armor penetration if you have the tracer missile debuff is on. The biggest strong suit of arsenal mercs right now is the fact that unload can put a slowdown on your target which makes us a very useful asset in huttball since we can use electro net and unload on the ball carrier or various enemies. Since 2.0 our burst ability has increased due to the fact we get 2 power surge instead of 1 and since our tracer missile debuff only needs one hit to add the armor penetration. We also have more abilities that make us less squishy like the chaff flare buff that absorbs a attack and our shield comes around faster since we have energy rebounded which adds a little shield to us and reduces the cd time on our shield. As arsenal we aren't as immobile anymore since we have a fail safe if we need to run (which we had before just not everyone used) hydraulic overrides makes you run 35% faster and makes you immune to movement impairing abilities such as slowdowns and kickbacks while you can still get stunned it is unique in the fact that you can run while being immune and the only true defense against and not movement impairing break is given to snipers. In the arsenal spec you get a 6 second bonus to it which makes us very good at ball carrying. While we might not be the the best we aren't the worst dps and what we lack in burst we make up for in versatility since we can instant self heal since all mercs get kolto missile and for arsenal your target lock can make your healing scan once you have a stack of 3.

My EYES!!

Y NO Paragraphs!?!

the devs listened to the mercs after like 6months and now arsenal is finally decent. pyro and heals still need work though.

Well Mercs were kind of ridiculous when the game first came, in both PvE and PvP.

I remember being one of the first Battlemasters on my server. I would literally just Tracer Missile spam and demolish people. The damage on Tracer Missile was nerfed because it was pretty OP.

As for PvE (and PvP as well), Tracer Missile debuffs on the target stacked across all Mercs. Meaning, 5 stacks = 25% damage increase to HSM... so if there were 2 Mercs, you had 10 stacks on the target which was 50% damage increase. I remember hitting people with 15k+ HSM's and hitting up to 20k in PvE. Talk about OP.

solo pvp isnt part of reality

gank squad? try team.

if you want solo pvp play an FPS

this is NOT a solo pvp game.

As much as I'd like to side with you OP, this is an extremely good point. NEVER solo in PVP. It's the worst idea in this game ever. The only time I solo is for about five seconds, when I run into a group of Imps trying to plant a bomb on the door and use neural pulse to freeze them all and run back into our group.

Maybe you should try a different role with your Merc? Try being a healer with a little DPS mixed in.

I kinda agree with this. DPS classes aren't mean to be tanks... we're supposed to turret people from far away.

But, I agree we need a longer CC or a Combat Sprint that breaks snares so we can at least move away for a second.

We do have those things. Its Called Concussion Missile, and Hydraulic Overrides.

We do have those things. Its Called Concussion Missile, and Hydraulic Overrides.

concussion missile sucks, it should be an instant cast or a much shorter cast time.(power surge is already used for tracer/fusion).

Edited by MarkXXIV

Maybe because they were added after his post (well Hydraulic Overrides was). The post to which you're responding is a year and a half old!

Edited by MillionsKNives

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
this thread is from over a year ago.

I know I participated, in a lot of the complaining that helped get merc buffed in 2.0(in feb/march). People need to complain when something is wrong or its likely not to change. Even after the huge buffs merc got, it still isn't nearly as good as sniper dps or sorc/op heals.

Edited by MarkXXIV

One time, in a pug WZ, our only healer downright refused to heal me at all, giving the excuse: "Why bother wasting my time healing a merc when they do crap DPS and are just going to die 5 seconds later anyway? Your class has no place in PvP". It was fairly demoralizing, as I was only level 22 with my Merc, and still fairly new to the game. We lost the WZ, but I managed to top the chart in DPS by at least 50K more points than the rest of my team.

Long story short, DPS Mercs are OP (though it wouldn't hurt to have a bit more defensive capabilities; Sentinels always seem to rip right through me :().