Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why should I play my sniper?

loudent
12.28.2011 , 02:21 PM | #1
TLR: The value of hybrids in groups is very high in this game. As it's a MMO game, value to a group matters. This puts *PURE* DPS at a disadvantage. What should be done?

The first character I rolled was an agent, at 10 I went sniper thinking it sounded pretty cool. I then rolled a few more characters and played them a bit more. After running a bunch of flashpoints and heroics I came to realize off-heals and to a lesser extent off-tanks, even if specced DPS, offer the same DPS but a lot more value to groups. The difference between success and falure on a tough fight (especailly with a lot of boss mechanics using "random" targeting) can often hinge on a spot heal or two from a DPS or a little tankability.

Now that I'm thinking of going back and playing my sniper some more I realize that gropuing (and even solo play to some-extent) will be much harder and I will have less to offer my group. I'm thinking I should have gone the other AC but there's no going back now.

So, what should be done? Should pure DPS ACs (advanced classes that have no tanking or healing talent tree) get some advantage (I guess snipers have the longest range in the game but 5m doesn't seem like much of an advantage by giving up the ability to heal some).

Any thoughts?

Zunayson
12.28.2011 , 02:24 PM | #2
Sniper is pure amazing PvP. Really, if you like PvP, sniper is obliterate a single person, as long as they're not being healed.
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

Neeseek
12.28.2011 , 02:25 PM | #3
Because they're awesome in PVP?
This game is too much like Wow. Game is fail.
This game is not enough like Wow. Game is fail.

Which is it trolls?

loudent
12.28.2011 , 02:26 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Neeseek View Post
Because they're awesome in PVP?
Ah, I see. I wish the description would have said that, I'd have gone the other wey, Generally speaking I'm not interested in PvP in MMORPGs, I save that for FPS

Pinworm
12.28.2011 , 02:29 PM | #5
Highest single target DPS in the game.

Pretty good utility.

Early on the differences aren't as apparent and hybrids appear more useful.

But really, just play what you enjoy playing.

luchiferchuga
12.28.2011 , 02:30 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by loudent View Post
Ah, I see. I wish the description would have said that, I'd have gone the other wey, Generally speaking I'm not interested in PvP in MMORPGs, I save that for FPS
As a sniper you have some nice tools to kite, good CC and some nice unique buffs. Plus there arent many Imperial Agents.

torokokill
12.28.2011 , 02:30 PM | #7
Two words: Big numbers

Ayestes
12.28.2011 , 02:33 PM | #8
Without damage meters, I cannot accurately comment on the damage differences. Do I feel like I do more damage then the potential Hybrids? Yeah.

When it comes to other mechanics, a Sniper does have Defensive Matrix, Cover, and a ranged Interrupt. The Sith Sorcerer also has a ranged Interrupt though. Honestly I'm not familiar enough with what every class brings to comment on the issue. Do my friends think I'm worth it? Heck yeah. Would they want me as another class? Nope. Does that actually mean anything? Probably not.

Deacons
12.28.2011 , 02:34 PM | #9
Wait you said you have a level 10 sniper and your making a judgment off that? Yes please do us a favor and dont play one. This OP has to be the most ignorant OP I have read yet. To try to critique a class by playing it to level 10 is just dumb. Is it cool to have utility well yes try getting to level 40+ and watch a snipe CC mobs for you, cause we can. How about we make it possible to drop mobs so fast CCing isnt needed (let the tank tank). Again coming on here with the mind set that you played a couple classes to 10 or so gives you an educated mind on how to play, means you went to public school while it was closed. Please play a class other than a sniper and leave the skilled classes to those who have skill.

loudent
12.28.2011 , 02:35 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Pinworm View Post
But really, just play what you enjoy playing.
I enjoy a number of characters, All that being equal, it's hard to play the sniper when grouping is harder and you offer less to a group

Honestly, I find that I do very little of anything until we hit boss mobs. The tanks leap forward, other jedi rush or start ranged casting and I.....well I go sit down. By the time I'm in position the fight is over.

But I'll give him another go although reading more in the sniper Forum makes me even more disenchanted. Seems normal PvE in the higher levels becomes nearly impossible to do without a sacraficial death or two.