Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Immortal / Defense Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Guardian / Juggernaut
Immortal / Defense Set Bonuses and Tactical Items
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

taxidermis
04.17.2019 , 04:41 AM | #11
I'm gonna go a different way here.. I have an idea for pvp tanking.. make us better at protection. Perhaps a tactical item that allows us to guard 2 targets simultaneously and take less damage but as a tradeoff we deal 30 to 50% less damage. Combine with modifications to set bonus that increase the protection of intercede and taunts. Possibly make intercede cleanse roots and slows on friendly targets. Buff our mobility.

I see the point of buffing our damage output as previous posters said... but as you guys mentioned at cantina.. you want us to all be able to play our class how we want. So yeah give them an option to be a true hybrid or skank tank that deals insane damage.. but also give us the option to be a true mmo tank. I want a utility based build for ranked pvp that doesn't need to do much damage but uses protection and utility to make it really hard to kill your teammates if played right. Hence the idea for double guard and increased protection as well as the ability to cleanse teammates.

As well for tanks and tank spec alone I think the chilling scream utility needs a rework. I know it got nerfed cause dps specs were spamming it in rotations to get massive numbers back in the day.. but I think for tanks it needs to go back to dealing more damage like it used to.. in ranked arenas it's a super handy skill that is under utilized..

Tldr.. I've mained jugg tank for 6 years.. I love how it plays and see the reasoning for a more damage based build.. but for ranked pvp I would love a utility based build that sacrifices damage for greatly increased group utility.

Also a pull would be nice... we don't need 2 gap closers. Especially since we can spec into super low CD on leap when attacked. Combine with intercede we tech have 3 gap closers. Perhaps replace mad dash with a pull.. or leave mad dash alone and modify choke on tanks.. in immortal spec choke does 70% less damage but can be used up to 30m away and causes very high threat. If target is over 10m away choke will pull target to tank location at end of channel.
check out my youtube for SWTOR content @Swtor-Nerd Gaming!
Click for 7 day sub and more! link
Swtor-Nerd's Facebook or Twitter!

PrometheanDeath
04.17.2019 , 08:02 AM | #12
Accidentally put this in my vengeance post, just putting it in the right place.
Immortal
-Force choke reduces the CD on saberward and invincible by 5 seconds per tick, most juggs hate their CDs while strong being such a long wait and don't want to use them often, so how about a way to decrease them slightly, possibly now making a lack luster utility (strangulate) to almost a necessity.
-Sorry to all the skank tank haters, but probably one of the easiest changes, Changes Crushing blow's text to read "If you are protected by Aegis assault, increases the damage of crushing blow by 50%" losing your AoE mechanic but making an even stronger aggro hit, and yes single target damage.
-Reduce the CD of backhand but change it's stun to a root, increasing pve threat and damage and pvp control, without a physical stun lockdown.
-Whenever you *defend* an attack reduce the CD of invincible by 3 seconds. This I think is more of an incentive to run tank stats instead of dps gear, and even helps pve to a degree as adds are perfect for defending against unlike bosses.

Banderal
04.17.2019 , 05:01 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by taxidermis View Post
I'm gonna go a different way here.. I have an idea for pvp tanking.. make us better at protection. Perhaps a tactical item that allows us to guard 2 targets simultaneously and take less damage but as a tradeoff we deal 30 to 50% less damage. Combine with modifications to set bonus that increase the protection of intercede and taunts. Possibly make intercede cleanse roots and slows on friendly targets. Buff our mobility.

I see the point of buffing our damage output as previous posters said... but as you guys mentioned at cantina.. you want us to all be able to play our class how we want. So yeah give them an option to be a true hybrid or skank tank that deals insane damage.. but also give us the option to be a true mmo tank. I want a utility based build for ranked pvp that doesn't need to do much damage but uses protection and utility to make it really hard to kill your teammates if played right. Hence the idea for double guard and increased protection as well as the ability to cleanse teammates.

As well for tanks and tank spec alone I think the chilling scream utility needs a rework. I know it got nerfed cause dps specs were spamming it in rotations to get massive numbers back in the day.. but I think for tanks it needs to go back to dealing more damage like it used to.. in ranked arenas it's a super handy skill that is under utilized..

Tldr.. I've mained jugg tank for 6 years.. I love how it plays and see the reasoning for a more damage based build.. but for ranked pvp I would love a utility based build that sacrifices damage for greatly increased group utility.

Also a pull would be nice... we don't need 2 gap closers. Especially since we can spec into super low CD on leap when attacked. Combine with intercede we tech have 3 gap closers. Perhaps replace mad dash with a pull.. or leave mad dash alone and modify choke on tanks.. in immortal spec choke does 70% less damage but can be used up to 30m away and causes very high threat. If target is over 10m away choke will pull target to tank location at end of channel.
I second these ideas. I don't play tank in ranked at all, since I would be really bad at it, but I've had much the same thoughts for regs... I would actually trade off damage for more utility. Basically, I want to be even MORE of a pita for the enemy by just being in the way - making it harder for them to get where they want, and making it harder for them to dps down my team mates.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

Lowarro
04.17.2019 , 07:42 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by taxidermis View Post
...Also a pull would be nice... we don't need 2 gap closers. ....
My request for a pull isn't as a second gap closer (though since the other tanks have a a charge and a pull, there is nothing OP about having 2 gap closers). A pull is more for group utility than closing gaps. Pull a patrol away from a nearby group so not to aggro all of them together, or pull a ranged add to the group to be AoE'ed down with everything else. The extra aggro on the pull ability is nice too. I do notice I have to work a little harder on my guardians for initial aggro than I do when I have a pull available on my other tanks.

I do like your idea of possibly tying a pull to choke/stasis. I'd be willing to give up my 2nd stun for a pull.
Companion Master My Referral Code
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I think that you have beaten the game . Congrats, that is crazy!

-eric

Morteficare
04.18.2019 , 06:45 AM | #15
I would like to se forcera choke to be aoe and pull torgets to you. For the dd specs just aoe

Mephesh
04.18.2019 , 10:50 AM | #16
Idea 1:
MASS FORCE CHOKE / MASS STASIS HOLD (should be exclusive to Tanks)
modification for Juggers / Guardians, basically turning Force Choke / Stasis Hold into an AoE.
(like Darth Malgus in that one flashpoint where he proclaims himself the new emperor and then in the bossfight Force Chokes the entire party)

Idea 2:
PULLING FORCE CHOKE / PULLING STASIS HOLD
that pull the targets to your location, but not as fast, more like in a medium speed.

Idea 3:
MASS FORCE SCREAM / MASS other stuff (sry, I'm not english)
Basically turning the skill into an AoE that deals a lot of damage.

Idea 4:
BLASTER REFLECTION
WHEN EVADING (defense stat), passive X% chance to reflect a ranged weapon/tech attack back at attackers (dealing X% or full damage) INSTEAD of the normal evading animation you get on a sucessfull defense. I mean, cmon, Soresu-Form. Obi-Wan does it all the times. It would also increase the overall damage output somewhat and be true to KOTOR.

taxidermis
04.18.2019 , 12:16 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Lowarro View Post
My request for a pull isn't as a second gap closer (though since the other tanks have a a charge and a pull, there is nothing OP about having 2 gap closers). A pull is more for group utility than closing gaps. Pull a patrol away from a nearby group so not to aggro all of them together, or pull a ranged add to the group to be AoE'ed down with everything else. The extra aggro on the pull ability is nice too. I do notice I have to work a little harder on my guardians for initial aggro than I do when I have a pull available on my other tanks.

I do like your idea of possibly tying a pull to choke/stasis. I'd be willing to give up my 2nd stun for a pull.
Exactly.. especially since we have 1 hard stun and one aoe mez. As well as shortest interrupt CD in game b4 you even count choke
check out my youtube for SWTOR content @Swtor-Nerd Gaming!
Click for 7 day sub and more! link
Swtor-Nerd's Facebook or Twitter!

happysister
04.23.2019 , 07:16 PM | #18
I haven't thought of many specifics, but perhaps there could be set bonuses/tactical items that increase group mitigation, instead of just personal mitigation. Like, for example...

Tactical Item: Saber Reflect no longer reflects damage back to the attacker. Instead, you absorb all incoming damage for the duration of the skill, then distribute the sum of that damage equally between all group members within 40m as an absorb shield. Shields last for 20 seconds, or until consumed.

Of course, the damage taken would be capped for something like that, but you get the idea. Could be useful for someone playing as an off tank instead of main tank. Tanks are all about protecting their friends, after all.
<Fortitude>
Lorhin - Gunslinger | Sashel - Scoundrel
Shylar - Guardian | Meewa - Sage
RIP my old servers [The Corsair, Canderous Ordo, Jedi Covenant] .

TheSpiceIsRIght
05.02.2019 , 02:02 AM | #19
Link to Main Forum Post with Google Doc of Failure's Set Bonus and Tactical Item suggestions

IMMORTAL/DEFENSE
Tactical Suggestions:
  • Intercede redirects all damage taking by an ally to the player for 4s
  • Force Choke now has 30m range and pulls target to you.
  • Blade turning - change melee/range to force/tech
  • Endure Pain now absorbs damage up to 20% of your max health
  • Intercede no longer reduces threat of target and gives them a shield that absorbs a moderate amount of damage
Spice
<FAILURE> - Satele Shan
World First Slayer of the Machine Gods

Ubercado
05.02.2019 , 09:58 AM | #20
Make sets and enhancements PVE or PVP exclusive to mitigate balance changes