Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

11.08.2015 , 07:25 AM | #5771
Welcome to the thread, astrocytosis! It's always great to see new writers here.

Yeah, I managed to catch up with reading.
Between RL and raiding, preparation for and actually playing KotFE kept me busy. Now that I am back to working full time I'll have to rethink my priorities
Author of "Trouble, Destiny and Other Complications"
Participant of the "Short Fic Weekly Challlenge Thread!"
All my stories from TDaOC and SFWC in chronological order

11.13.2015 , 07:53 AM | #5772
Week of November 13, 2015
Strange Relations- Every character has an assortment of friends and companions. As writers, we usually pick types or occupations that fit logically with them. But what about an oddball? Obi-Wan Kenobi was friends with a smuggler-restaurant owner, hardly a likely pair. Who among your character's compatriots has unusual skills, occupations, or backgrounds? How did they meet and become friends? Why do they remain friendly despite obvious differences?

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at and (we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining the prompt archive and story index here.

This week's featured NotLPs:
Forever Will It Dominate Your Destiny - On the other hand, darkness is the figurative and literal opposite and complement to light. Whether it's the physical state, the Dark Side, or some kind of ignorance, we may find darkness concealing what we need, dirtying what it touches, or hiding on the unexpected flip side of something. Write about your character's interaction with darkness. Thank you, @BrightEphemera, for this pair of prompts.

Worst Day Ever - Everybody has a bad day. So do our characters. Maybe it was in their class story - like getting your ship stolen on your birthday - or maybe it was something that happened before or after. Whether it genuinely was the worst day or your character was just in a bad mood and something happened to make it worse, write about a day that made them call it "the worst day ever".

11.14.2015 , 08:40 PM | #5773
Well, it looks like everything that people have posted since I last did has KotFE spoilers, so I'm going to have to post my story with no comments prior. Sorry everyone!

Title: Failure
Prompt: Loneliness and Solitude
Characters: Eyrie Lancaster (Jedi Knight)
Length: 300 words
Spoilers: References to the end of Jedi Knight Act II

WARNING: I'm not entirely sure what to warn of in this story, but I guess I'll just say that Eyrie is in an extremely dark place during this story and it could be a problem for some people. Please see author's note.

Author's Note:

I <3 alts!

11.15.2015 , 05:36 PM | #5774
@Mird I love it. I always liked that the Jedi Knight actually suffered failure in their class story. You caught yours emotions well.

Title: Grief
Prompt: Loneliness and Solitude
Characters: Xerxes Ragnos (Sith Warrior), Vette
Length: 304
Spoilers: Knights of the Fallen Empire

11.16.2015 , 10:35 AM | #5775
So, I've had these stories in my head for a long time, and I haven't been able to post due to not being a sub. So here's my first attempt at this sort of thing!

Title: The Fall
Prompt: Forever It Will Dominate Your Destiny
Characters: Soluti (Smugg), Zash'ara (Imp Agent), Tletha, (SW), Khacurr (JK)
Length: 600 words
Spoilers: None

Author's Note

11.19.2015 , 08:48 PM | #5776
Title: That song sure is catchy!
Prompt: Alternate perspectives; Guilty Pleasures or Like no one's watching
Characters: Tovenar and Inquisitor crew
NO SPOILERS!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!
No warnings necessary unless the thought of singing in the shower makes one faint!

The Beginning:

Author's note:
The Teithyr Legacy
Jedi Covenant
Images Of My characters!

11.20.2015 , 07:04 AM | #5777
Welcome to the thread, GreyishPhoenix!

Through an unusual occurrence, both the main prompt and one of the NotLP contain Star Trek references. Specifically, Wrath of Khan references. I could change that but why?

Week of November 20, 2015
The no-win scenario - Sometimes, every choice is bad. Every option has unacceptable consequences. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Has your character faced such a situation? How did they deal with it? Did they pick the lesser of two evils or try to find a better solution? Or did they, like Kirk, cheat their way out? Do they regret their choice?

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at and (yes, we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining these lists.

This week's featured NotLP:
Passing On -“How we face death is at least as important as how we face life.” No one is truly immortal. Even those who have conquered aging and disease still have to deal with the inevitable dangers of combat and the perils of an adventuring life. What happens when death finally catches up with your character? Does a near miss give her pause, an unwelcome reminder of mortality? Does he go out with a bang, a whimper, or quietly in his sleep? What happens to the ones left behind? This prompt courtesy of Mirdthestrill via the TOR forums. (Quote courtesy Star Trek 2, The Wrath of Khan, at the risk of crossing fandom streams.)

...Like No One's Watching - When we're alone we often indulge ourselves in things that might embarrass us if others knew. Bad music, bad dancing, whatever it is, we'd be pretty mortified if someone caught us. This time, write about your character's secret indulgences - and how they react when it's discovered.

Got an idea for a prompt? Send me a pm!

11.23.2015 , 06:08 PM | #5778
Title: The Toymaker
Prompt: NOTLP: When No-one’s watching, and guilty pleasures
Characters: Blayk Dilaine
Spoilers: Just the agent companions
Timeline: Before KOTFE
Word Count: 1125
Notes: Finally figured out how to do word count on google docs!
The Story: Spoilered for length.

Authors Note:

Author's Note 2:

Author’s Note 3:
The Ryfelwyr legacy
Jedi Covenant