End of Expanded Universe?

Mordegrus

Is the end of the Star Wars Expanded Universe the Legacy comics?

The Legacy comics are already walking a razor's edge to getting retconned. It all depends on what is going to happen in the near future with Luke, Leia, and Han. Since they are under a strict "No Kill" order from George Lucas himself, and in Legacy, all three are dead..... Yeah, it's a touchy situation.

If by end you mean "furthest into the future" then yes. Otherwise, no.

I have mixed feelings about Legacy being presented as only a possible future. The comic was presented as the 100% official line. But even then I figured it wouldn't last. Still, I wouldn't mind something else being the future of SW as the Legacy universe is rather grim.

The Legacy comics are already walking a razor's edge to getting retconned. It all depends on what is going to happen in the near future with Luke, Leia, and Han. Since they are under a strict "No Kill" order from George Lucas himself, and in Legacy, all three are dead..... Yeah, it's a touchy situation.

Wait so they can't be killed...but they are all dead in Legacy?

Wait so they can't be killed...but they are all dead in Legacy?

Yep. Legacy takes place over 130 years ABY. Cade Skywalker is the main character. Ben's grandkid or something. The only reason I can see that they've gotten away with it so far is the fact that it takes place so far into the future.

Yep. Legacy takes place over 130 years ABY. Cade Skywalker is the main character. Ben's grandkid or something. The only reason I can see that they've gotten away with it so far is the fact that it takes place so far into the future.

Ah well then I guess that makes sense, I mean Lucas said they couldn't be killed he never said that they couldn't still die just that they couldn't be killed. So with time I mean, they wouldn't really be killed by anything other then age.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Ah well then I guess that makes sense, I mean Lucas said they couldn't be killed he never said that they couldn't still die just that they couldn't be killed. So with time I mean, they wouldn't really be killed by anything other then age.

And of course Legacy has kept details of their deaths intentionally and extremely vague.

Which is how it should be, otherwise people would go flying off the handle because the characters died in some way that they didn't like.

Yep. Take Chewie's death for example. Personally, I thought it was pretty Epic that it took a whole moon to kill him. Others didn't like it, but he died fulfilling his lifedebt to Han by saving Anakin's life.

Now, with Mara Jade's death, I was extremely pissed off, and not so much by her dying, but dying in such a useless way. Then Karen Traviss's attitude didn't help matters, since she had set out to kill Mara Jade and didn't care what anyone had to say about it.

Did I send her death threats? I was tempted, but no. There were already enough rabids doing that, and even though I didn't like it, sending stuff like that wouldn't help.

And when some Star Wars fans don't like something, they emo/nerdRAGE and send death threats to George and the Expanded Universe authors who offend them. They are the truly rabid fans that believe they are A. Experts on How Star Wars Should Be, and B. Death To All Who Say Otherwise.

Is the end of the Star Wars Expanded Universe the Legacy comics?

As long as we love it, Star Wars won't die. Ostrander wrote the era between Episode 2 and 3, he wrote the Legacy comics and now he has gone back more than 20.000 years. As long as Ostrander is with us, the Star Wars EU will push our limits. :D

Iv'e never liked the idea of books based after return of the jedi. I'm fine with material based before that like the old republic and during and in between the movies, but I don't think they should make stories based after return of the jedi. It should just end there. Edited by Malrus

Iv'e never liked the idea of books based after return of the jedi. I'm fine with material based before that like the old republic and during and in between the movies, but I don't think they should make stories based after return of the jedi. It should just end there.

Why? Just curious. I mean ROTJ, did have some sort of wiggle room with continuing the story. There were little bits and pieces really, to where the story could have continued on.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Slightly off topic, but I have a question. I understand Legacy is the furthest in the timeline. And I know what retcon means. But someone said legacy is on the verge of being retconned?

Is there an article or something official stating this? And this is all because, the main characters are "dead" (obviously cause it takes place so far in the future)

Also lucas needs to get of his high horse. Luke, Leia, Han and all the other beloved characters need to die. You can not have a 400 year old Han walking around it be dumb. I personally don't want Han dieing from old age. I would like him to go down in a blaze of glory. Like his old pal Chewie

Legacy may be furthest in the future, but EU novels will still continue to be put out. SWTOR novels are still coming, with one scheduled for release this fall. There's still more than three millennia between SWTOR era and the Clone Wars era. That gives writers a LOT of leeway to work with in terms of what they can do to lead up to what we already know.

Though I will say, for one thing, that while I do enjoy SWTOR, I don't want to see another Novel series done in SW about the same thing we've been seeing the whole time. As in, I don't want to keep seeing one faction vs another faction in some grand galactic scheme that fudges up the whole galaxy. I'm tired of it. And not just Jedi vs Sith, but any large absurd army vs another large absurd army. I wanna see something that has the Epicness of a massive conflict, but scaled Down into a more Personal story centering around a few Key characters who would become forever linked to the history of that Culture rather than just another guy in another war-torn era of the Republic.

Like this. I wanna see;

STAR WARS: The Dawn of Mandalore

Or something akin to that. A Novel, singular or 3 part series, about the Very First Mandalore. Not something that takes place on a dozen fricken worlds or across half the galaxy. An Epic tale taking place Solely on the Mandalorian Homeworld. The Very First Mandalorian to have EVER fought across their world, from Clan to Clan and uniting them as one people under the banner of a single leader for the first time, resulting in the creation of Mandalore's mask, to be donned and worn as the one who united the Clans, rises up before them all and declares; "I am Mandalore the Unifier! Let us go forth into the stars and show all the strength of the Mandalore!"

Or something like that. And while I may not like certain Mandalorians, something like this with a sort of Gladiator feel meets Alexander the Great, would just be bloody awesome.

Edited by ReiKai

Legacy may be furthest in the future, but EU novels will still continue to be put out. SWTOR novels are still coming, with one scheduled for release this fall. There's still more than three millennia between SWTOR era and the Clone Wars era. That gives writers a LOT of leeway to work with in terms of what they can do to lead up to what we already know.

Though I will say, for one thing, that while I do enjoy SWTOR, I don't want to see another Novel series done in SW about the same thing we've been seeing the whole time. As in, I don't want to keep seeing one faction vs another faction in some grand galactic scheme that fudges up the whole galaxy. I'm tired of it. And not just Jedi vs Sith, but any large absurd army vs another large absurd army. I wanna see something that has the Epicness of a massive conflict, but scaled Down into a more Personal story centering around a few Key characters who would become forever linked to the history of that Culture rather than just another guy in another war-torn era of the Republic.

Like this. I wanna see;

Or something akin to that. A Novel, singular or 3 part series, about the Very First Mandalore. Not something that takes place on a dozen fricken worlds or across half the galaxy. An Epic tale taking place Solely on the Mandalorian Homeworld. The Very First Mandalorian to have EVER fought across their world, from Clan to Clan and uniting them as one people under the banner of a single leader for the first time, resulting in the creation of Mandalore's mask, to be donned and worn as the one who united the Clans, rises up before them all and declares; "I am Mandalore the Unifier! Let us go forth into the stars and show all the strength of the Mandalore!"

Or something like that. And while I may not like certain Mandalorians, something like this with a sort of Gladiator feel meets Alexander the Great, would just be bloody awesome.

Anything with the Taung would be awesome, 6.5 foot predator like species that kick ***? Hell ya, thats how the mandos should have stayed, unique and kickass. I mean the mandos now....are ok, but I feel as if they should have just stayed as the Taung.

Or at the very least, have them still be around and not extinct.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Like this. I wanna see;

I'd read it if it's not written by Christie Golden.

Yep. Take Chewie's death for example. Personally, I thought it was pretty Epic that it took a whole moon to kill him. Others didn't like it, but he died fulfilling his lifedebt to Han by saving Anakin's life.

Now, with Mara Jade's death, I was extremely pissed off, and not so much by her dying, but dying in such a useless way. Then Karen Traviss's attitude didn't help matters, since she had set out to kill Mara Jade and didn't care what anyone had to say about it.

Did I send her death threats? I was tempted, but no. There were already enough rabids doing that, and even though I didn't like it, sending stuff like that wouldn't help.

And when some Star Wars fans don't like something, they emo/nerdRAGE and send death threats to George and the Expanded Universe authors who offend them. They are the truly rabid fans that believe they are A. Experts on How Star Wars Should Be, and B. Death To All Who Say Otherwise.

You realise even thinking about threatning a human life over a fiction character is pathetic right?

I would love to see a story about Mandalore the First. Maybe even clear up, clarify or Retcon some of the lore about them and the Taungs and all that because there's so much in the dark that it would've been better left completely blank rather than what little was tossed out to fans.

I think the problem is, is that they made the Taung too closely based on the Predators. I mean the very shape of the Taung's head looks like the Predators helmet. I dunno what all the reasons are, only that I'd still like to see a book about the very origin of the Mandalorians, and not the same old things that've been rehashed a dozen times.

You realise even thinking about threatning a human life over a fiction character is pathetic right?

You realize how pathetic it is to point something like that out, right?

I didn't figure anyone would actually bite at that bait, though. Congratulations. :p

Edited by Captain_Zone