The big debate for an alt looking at 1.2 (PvP specifically)

DoctorSaki

I am just looking for some informed opinions between 3 classes (acs) i am considering for an alt in the future for an alternative play for pvp. Currently I play a marauder and while i originally started at pre-launch I am looking for a change of pace hence why i am looking at these classes for pvp specificially with their weaknesses well in mind but their strengths as well.

Power-tech

Mercenary

Sniper

Now i realize these classes are getting a lot of changes in 1.2 and i am relatively fine with them for the most part as i am more of the adaptable type for any given scenario. I played bounty hunter specs heavily in the beta (was actually one of the only classes i played during the beta to test the heck out of it for polish) Hence why i decided on a whim to play marauder on live cause i wanted to see the sith warrior story line and i got really attached to it for pvp.

What i am asking for

Of these classes what your opinion is on the classes for what's going for them in 1.2

I ask largely because i am not highly familiar with snipers, and powertechs and mercs have changed quite a bit since when i last played them during beta to what they will be in 1.2

I appreciate any advice that is given in advance

Also please give detailed reasonings not X class sucks play this class

Edited by DoctorSaki

Hey.

I'll jump in here because I have nearly the same question.

I have a 34 Jugg, 25 PT and 21 Sniper.

I was thinking for a Tank-Hybrid build for PT and Jugg, and MM or Eng. Specc for the Sniper.

But I really can't decide what to play. They all make tons of fun.

So, looking forward to 1.2, which one would be a gread choice for PvP?

Pretty much in the same boat, i have been looking all over the forums for an answer and all i just find is a wall of QQ, no serious talks about what the changes actually do for the most part. I see mixed messages about the Merc changes, powertechs i am aware that the parakeet build is getting an axe to it, and as for snipers i am noticing a very LARGE amount of changes to them but i am just wondering how significant all the changes are regarding for pvp so i can give a better educated decision on the class i want to play.

Ok i'm not an expert on any of those ACs, But in regards to the upcoming changes for 1.2 I can tell you this....

99% of the people crying are completely out of pocket, they seem to have no understanding of any of the changes or even their own class, in fact I'm pretty sure most of them aren't over level 20

The second thing I can tell you is 1.2 should really have no impact on what class you roll (seriously) the nerfs / buffs being dished out at the classes are pretty insignificant and well deserved. 1.2 isn't going to make 1 class super strong while another becomes super weak, its a simple balance tweak.

What I know about each AC is this....mercs/commandos are getting a nerf to their healing tree (and all healers are getting a nerf in general), from what I understand this is a very needed adjustment, so if you were planning on playing a super beefy healer that can tank 3-4 people, you're a bit late for that. They are nerfing grav rounds damage slightly however they are giving dps specs a bit of a buff (my guess is they are doing this to keep mandos and mercs from being a 1 trick pony, and to also kill off any healer hybrids out there)

From my understanding sniper is getting a slight buff which is awesome cause they seem like they're already a very cool class to play...only complaints i've seen about them so far is that the buff they're getting isn't great enough :rolleyes:

As far as powertech/vanguard goes I honestly dont know much about them except that right now they appear to be a bit overpowered, if they're nerfing a spec its most likely cause it was cookiee cutter and preventing their other trees from being viable (thats just a guess)

The real question is, is what kind of play style will suit you better

Having played both Vanguard and Gunslinger.

Vanguard (if in Assault aka Pyrotech for Powertechs) was the easiest and most boring class for me to play. You don't really have more then 6 skills in your main rotation, plus a few survavibility skills and recharge skills used occasionally.

Gunslinger on the other hand was much more challenging for me and therefor much more appealing. First i was kind of afraid to start this class, as people on the gunslinger forum used to overdramatize. I had a blast once i reached lvl 10 up to now. It's a class with a really high learning curve IMO. Once you figured out all the weaknesses of the other classes you find yourself having so much tools to deal with them.

Vanguard's famous assault spec will now ge ta much needed nerf. DoT's ticking for almost 1.2k if you are geared properly while constantly smashing out 2-5k crits. It was kind of clear that this would lead into a nerf.

Gunslingers on the other hand will be buffed in 1.2. Getting a Healing Debuff and some slight rework for all our trees, which all seem like an overall buff for me so far.

If you are that type of a person that is overwhelmed pretty easy i would still go for Vanguard/Powertech. The upcoming nerf ain't that crucial in my oppinion.

If you can manage alot of different skills you should try out a Gunslinger/Sniper.

Ok i'm not an expert on any of those ACs, But in regards to the upcoming changes for 1.2 I can tell you this....

99% of the people crying are completely out of pocket, they seem to have no understanding of any of the changes or even their own class, in fact I'm pretty sure most of them aren't over level 20

The second thing I can tell you is 1.2 should really have no impact on what class you roll (seriously) the nerfs / buffs being dished out at the classes are pretty insignificant and well deserved. 1.2 isn't going to make 1 class super strong while another becomes super weak, its a simple balance tweak.

What I know about each AC is this....mercs/commandos are getting a nerf to their healing tree (and all healers are getting a nerf in general), from what I understand this is a very needed adjustment, so if you were planning on playing a super beefy healer that can tank 3-4 people, you're a bit late for that. They are nerfing grav rounds damage slightly however they are giving dps specs a bit of a buff (my guess is they are doing this to keep mandos and mercs from being a 1 trick pony, and to also kill off any healer hybrids out there)

From my understanding sniper is getting a slight buff which is awesome cause they seem like they're already a very cool class to play...only complaints i've seen about them so far is that the buff they're getting isn't great enough :rolleyes:

As far as powertech/vanguard goes I honestly dont know much about them except that right now they appear to be a bit overpowered, if they're nerfing a spec its most likely cause it was cookiee cutter and preventing their other trees from being viable (thats just a guess)

The real question is, is what kind of play style will suit you better

^qft. Play style is what id factor the most in, powertech is high mobility no matter which AC you choose, Merc/Sniper have moderate mobility but play style will be diff between the two,

Edited by Tinmancreeping

My alt is a powertech. I enjoy it very much. Coming from an operative (which is my main), it's crazy fun to have things like utility. The "carolina parakeet" spec is going to get hit hard, but it was a ridiculous spec anyway. This AC has a lot of versatility and will still, after 1.2, have very viable dps. Plus the Advanced Prototype tree looks like it will be getting some interesting buffs.

I tried to play a merc and a sniper, but I got bored with the whole turret aspect.

If you want to play Healer - Merc

If you want to play Mobile DPS - Pyro powertech

If you want to play Static DPS - Sniper or Arsenal Merc

I would add that if you want to be Mobile Healer, Operative healers are definitely getting love in 1.2 =]

My alt is a powertech. I enjoy it very much. Coming from an operative (which is my main), it's crazy fun to have things like utility. The "carolina parakeet" spec is going to get hit hard, but it was a ridiculous spec anyway. This AC has a lot of versatility and will still, after 1.2, have very viable dps. Plus the Advanced Prototype tree looks like it will be getting some interesting buffs.

I tried to play a merc and a sniper, but I got bored with the whole turret aspect.

hmm so what do you think would be more fun then in terms of a pvp alt a scrapper scoundrel(i know you said you played a operative,but scoundrels are the mirror class)or a advanced prototype powertech

cuz playstyle wise they both look pretty fun but i was thinkin about rollin a scoundrel instead of a powertech

Edited by CrunkShizzle

Power tech is amazeingly fun. I think its the best kept secret in starwars. I've been leveling as pyro and can often to the charts in total damge done and kills. I just (last level) changed to shield teck and jet charge is awsome. So I'm not sure which I'm going to stay with but both spec are very cool to play. Im level 47 now and valor rank 46. The trick is, of course learning your class and limits. Power teck is imho the best ROUNDED class in the game, and both specs have a simialar play style, the way I play. Trick is, weither pve or pvp is fight THIER WEAKNESS not thiet streagth. This is the BEST class at doing this. If they are a malee class, stay at range and kite. If they are a ranged class GET CLOSE (or break contact). This works no matter if u are shield or pyro. If shield, u get jet charge to get on the ranged folk and your ranged abilities are better then the malee sabers, but if they do catch u rocket punch ftw. If pyro, u do more burst damage at longer range, but still dont shoot it out with a range class, get close, use fb and rocket punch, but most impotantly, quell (an interupt) is 4m range, and u can kit malee classes even better, but with the greater damage u wont have to do it as longe.

The new patch wont change this much, for pyro rail shot will take longer between reset procs, but for shield tecks they will get a buff I think as shields will work better. The biggest hit power techs will take, is a high level (48 level and up) hybrid spec of shield-pyro will no longer work (as before) bc now to get the rail shot reset proc you have to be in the pyro stance and before it would work if u were in the tank stance

Snipers bloom early, so if its just a PvP alt that you dont care about leveling to 50...

well in terms of what i put

i was more lookin towards a rogue like melee dps class

and i was lookin for a pvp alt,but generally something id level to 50

Edited by CrunkShizzle