How to be Accurate with TommmSunb!

tommmsunb

I figured it would be the most useful for those purposes. My accuracy with other guns is typically between 55-65.

Completely normal. BLC has its own playstyle almost closer to a railgun than to the other guns.

Edited by Ryuku-sama

Thanks a lot for the video, Tom. As one of the most accurate pilots period, a narrated stream on accuracy is a large boon to the GSF community.

Nice video... Hope lesson two will talk about harder guns to get high accuracy than BLC ;)

Who cares how *hard* it is to get some accuracy? The BLC's overall damage is balanced around having a high accuracy. There's merit in the other guns, of course, and the technique is a different, so a video on that would be good... but when you make a statement like this, it comes across as passive aggressive- it implies that Tom chose an "easy" weapon, possibly because he's not capable of high performance with another. In fact, burst laser cannon is a powerful weapon and a core part of the meta, and as you point out, it has its own playstyle- it's a very important thing, and the video tips are relevant to other weapons as well.

Also, your "completely normal" implies that you think Tom's accuracy is normal. It is not, it is a large deviation away from typical accuracy, and above that of many other aces.

In general, your posts here read as passive aggressive, and I think you should change your tone entirely.

Edited by Verain

Thanks a lot for the video, Tom. As one of the most accurate pilots period, a narrated stream on accuracy is a large boon to the GSF community.

Who cares how *hard* it is to get some accuracy? The BLC's overall damage is balanced around having a high accuracy. There's merit in the other guns, of course, and the technique is a different, so a video on that would be good... but when you make a statement like this, it comes across as passive aggressive- it implies that Tom chose an "easy" weapon, possibly because he's not capable of high performance with another. In fact, burst laser cannon is a powerful weapon and a core part of the meta, and as you point out, it has its own playstyle- it's a very important thing, and the video tips are relevant to other weapons as well.

Also, your "completely normal" implies that you think Tom's accuracy is normal. It is not, it is a large deviation away from typical accuracy, and above that of many other aces.

In general, your posts here read as passive aggressive, and I think you should change your tone entirely.

Normal refers as BLC having about 10% more accuracy on average than the other guns. I know how above average Tom's accuracy is. I'm not saying his accuracy is normal.. I'm saying that having way better accuracy with BLC than with quads or LLC is normal.

And I say harder not as a depriciating qualficative... I simply mean that getting let say 100% accuracy will be easier with BLC than with another gun.. And it is intended. The other guns high RoF allows for more misses than BLC without losing lot of DPS.

Yes getting high results with BLC is easier than with quads. I'm not saying they aren't a valuable part of the mata. I'm saying that objectively it is easier to land a BLC hit on an evasive target than it is to land a Quad hit.

But anyone knowing Tomm even a bit wouldn't try to read that far in my comment. Tomm's main build is Quad'N'Pods.

Normal refers as BLC having about 10% more accuracy on average than the other guns. I know how above average Tom's accuracy is. I'm not saying his accuracy is normal.. I'm saying that having way better accuracy with BLC than with quads or LLC is normal.

And I say harder not as a depriciating qualficative... I simply mean that getting let say 100% accuracy will be easier with BLC than with another gun.. And it is intended. The other guns high RoF allows for more misses than BLC without losing lot of DPS.

Yes getting high results with BLC is easier than with quads. I'm not saying they aren't a valuable part of the mata. I'm saying that objectively it is easier to land a BLC hit on an evasive target than it is to land a Quad hit.

But anyone knowing Tomm even a bit wouldn't try to read that far in my comment. Tomm's main build is Quad'N'Pods.

I'm going to agree with Verain on this one Ryuku, your tone seemed very passive aggressive at first and it does very often on the forums, I know I have the same problem with tone (to the point that it really looked like I was going after Verain specifically for awhile when I was just being sarcastic to him). You should work on that.

Did your video point out your build?

And side note, Internet tone is tough as is, but compound it with a non native speaker and it's easy for bits to get lost in translation. I thought he was messing with you because we all know BLC is more accurate than pods, and Ayri (forgot how spelled it) probably wanted to know how you are accurate with quads and pods.

I didn't read it like it was offensive, but regsrdless. I too was confused by a BLC video when relative to quads (what u n scrab are known for) the accuracy tends to be higher by default. Either way, helpful video and it made getting my bagel this morning more entertaining :)

Did your video point out your build?

And side note, Internet tone is tough as is, but compound it with a non native speaker and it's easy for bits to get lost in translation. I thought he was messing with you because we all know BLC is more accurate than pods, and Ayri (forgot how spelled it) probably wanted to know how you are accurate with quads and pods.

I didn't read it like it was offensive, but regsrdless. I too was confused by a BLC video when relative to quads (what u n scrab are known for) the accuracy tends to be higher by default. Either way, helpful video and it made getting my bagel this morning more entertaining :)

Not offensive per se but yeah you're right in Aa'ri's case I should have been considerate of that . Also Sam the server I was on typically is more scout heavy (progenitor) so I tend to fly burst there, which is without a doubt way better at killing scouts than quads/pods is.

You... You understood the post.

And yes.... Tomm.. You should know English isn't my first language.. After all we derailled a thread by starting to talk in French on it ;)

Good video. And I will note, since it's become part of the thread, the tone in the video was a lot friendlier than I feel like I've seen you be on the forums. You've made reference to that before (that you're nicer in person or email), but I did want to note it, since I've commented on your tone in the forums before. And I think this push to get content out there for people that you've been making recently (streaming and now tut vids) is awesome, so serious kudos for that.

It's not on the accuracy topic, but I did wonder what your thoughts were on the build. A while back, when Scrabs was flying on JC, we chatted for a while about it, and he had come to the conclusion that in an especially heave GS meta, that he was starting to like Booster Recharge more than TT (Not sure if he still feels that way. Haven't seen him in forever). I ended up playing around with my build, which at the time was a lot like the one you showed off in this vid (TT, Regen Thrusters, Retro, etc). What I finally ended up doing was ditching regen for turning thrusters, TT for booster recharge, and then also taking the turning off of Retro, rather than the extra booster pool. It allowed me to keep most of my mobility (in some cases, enhance it), enhance survivability in general, and lose some of the quick kill ability from the acc/crit magnitude TT gives you.

I've also heard Armonddd is a proponent of Booster Recharge, and so I was just kind of curious what your thoughts on a build like that are. I know it's off topic to some degree, but I still figured I'd ask, and this seemed like a decent place to do it.

Good video. And I will note, since it's become part of the thread, the tone in the video was a lot friendlier than I feel like I've seen you be on the forums. You've made reference to that before (that you're nicer in person or email), but I did want to note it, since I've commented on your tone in the forums before. And I think this push to get content out there for people that you've been making recently (streaming and now tut vids) is awesome, so serious kudos for that.

It's not on the accuracy topic, but I did wonder what your thoughts were on the build. A while back, when Scrabs was flying on JC, we chatted for a while about it, and he had come to the conclusion that in an especially heave GS meta, that he was starting to like Booster Recharge more than TT (Not sure if he still feels that way. Haven't seen him in forever). I ended up playing around with my build, which at the time was a lot like the one you showed off in this vid (TT, Regen Thrusters, Retro, etc). What I finally ended up doing was ditching regen for turning thrusters, TT for booster recharge, and then also taking the turning off of Retro, rather than the extra booster pool. It allowed me to keep most of my mobility (in some cases, enhance it), enhance survivability in general, and lose some of the quick kill ability from the acc/crit magnitude TT gives you.

I've also heard Armonddd is a proponent of Booster Recharge, and so I was just kind of curious what your thoughts on a build like that are. I know it's off topic to some degree, but I still figured I'd ask, and this seemed like a decent place to do it.

I feel that in a gunship heavy meta that burst just isn't the best option. Quads/pods kills gunships before they even notice you're there. Though I suppose your question is about the burst/cluster build, which I would disagree on booster recharge being more useful, I would feel barrel roll would server that purpose better and you wouldn't have to sacrifice any damage to use it.

I feel that in a gunship heavy meta that burst just isn't the best option. Quads/pods kills gunships before they even notice you're there. Though I suppose your question is about the burst/cluster build, which I would disagree on booster recharge being more useful, I would feel barrel roll would server that purpose better and you wouldn't have to sacrifice any damage to use it.

That seemed to be largely what Scrabs was doing when I met him. My biggest... hesitation at using BR is that I just love Retros a little too much.

More than anything, I was just curious because in the vid you sounded very much like you'd never really consider using any thrusters outside of Regen Thrusters. I guess I've found that I really enjoy having all the extra turning from turning thrusters and the turning from T3 Engine, but it's all but impossible to be really mobile that way if you're using Retros. Prior to tinkering around with Booster Recharge, I had thoughts that it was just a mistake to run with anything but regen thrusters, but now that I've played around with the heavy turning builds, going back to regen makes it feel like I'm flying a zeppelin by comparison. Especially if I end up going for the T3 engine pool off of retros along with regen thrusters. Sure, I can boost forever, but I feel like I can't turn at all.

Anyway, thanks for the input. It might just be time for me to pony up and get the Oculus so I can put 2 different builds on the bar, and swap between them situationally.

That seemed to be largely what Scrabs was doing when I met him. My biggest... hesitation at using BR is that I just love Retros a little too much.

More than anything, I was just curious because in the vid you sounded very much like you'd never really consider using any thrusters outside of Regen Thrusters. I guess I've found that I really enjoy having all the extra turning from turning thrusters and the turning from T3 Engine, but it's all but impossible to be really mobile that way if you're using Retros. Prior to tinkering around with Booster Recharge, I had thoughts that it was just a mistake to run with anything but regen thrusters, but now that I've played around with the heavy turning builds, going back to regen makes it feel like I'm flying a zeppelin by comparison. Especially if I end up going for the T3 engine pool off of retros along with regen thrusters. Sure, I can boost forever, but I feel like I can't turn at all.

Anyway, thanks for the input. It might just be time for me to pony up and get the Oculus so I can put 2 different builds on the bar, and swap between them situationally.

Turning is neat for 1 v 1s but in a solo carry role which I find myself taking more often than not regen is king.

Hawke, getting an Oculus wouldn't help you having two builds. The rift is for visuals, true enough, but I believe you meant Ocula.

Don't worry - Tom didn't know distortion subtracts from total shield

No I knew that. I just didnt know that the portrait shows where they're facing :p

Again, thanks for the feedback tommmsun. One last question. Do you usually run with the turning off of retro when using retro? Or with the extra boost pool? You didn't have it in the video, and I failed to notice whether or not you mentioned which you prefer.

Hawke, getting an Oculus wouldn't help you having two builds. The rift is for visuals, true enough, but I believe you meant Ocula.

Don't worry - Tom didn't know distortion subtracts from total shield

Well, if it's Hawke, then it's the Skybolt, but point taken. Jerk. :D

Again, thanks for the feedback tommmsun. One last question. Do you usually run with the turning off of retro when using retro? Or with the extra boost pool? You didn't have it in the video, and I failed to notice whether or not you mentioned which you prefer.

Well, if it's Hawke, then it's the Skybolt, but point taken. Jerk. :D

Turning if Burst, Power if Quads and pods.

Tomm is there anyway video #2 could be the antithesis of video #1? By say doing the "Hose" build. I think it would be a good comparison contrast.

Sure thing, I was planning on video #2 being more of a kill priority list, I'll see if I can incorporate that idea without babbling too much. I feel like I'd rather do the voiceover in post in that case though because focussing on what to say and aiming is a little bit harder than you'd expect.

Edited by tommmsunb

Sure thing, I was planning on video #2 being more of a kill priority list, I'll see if I can incorporate that idea without babbling too much. I feel like I'd rather do the voiceover in post in that case though because focussing on what to say and aiming is a little bit harder than you'd expect.

Just capture the footage and separately record your voice going over the video (use timestamps to indicatell splits in the video). Use final cut or premiere to piece them together

I watched the video but the next match I didn't hit 72% ;)

What is the ideal range for firing BLC? And do you lock the target and read the range? Or estimate by the apparent size of the target?

Sub 2km. Over 2km your accuracy and damage drop real fast. And yes I think we all read the range... It's kinda easy and quick when you're used to it.