Appearance customization and weapons...

BFBHitmarkers

What is the reasoning behind us not being able to have an appearance slot for weapons? I would love to be able to use a lot of the Cartel market weapons, but when it cost 150k credits to remove mods from legacy weapons it is just not feasible.

Has this been discussed in the past as to why there is no weapon appearance slot?

Thanks

when it cost 150k credits to remove mods from legacy weapons it is just not feasible.

I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at here.

But here's my basic method for switching weapons:

- each weapon you want to use should be fully modded, but if you are using a weapon for normal PvE and FPs, it doesn't have to be "modded to the max". You can have just one weapon (or weapon set) that's fully max modded for when needed. In any case, there's no sense in constantly swapping mods from one weapon to the other.

- there are two main ways of switching weapons:

1. Simply having the weapons in your inventory and switching them by dragging or right-clicking.

2. With the weapons in your inventory, you can drag the weapons (including your equipped weapon) to a slot (or slots) on a skill bar and simply click on them to change weapons.

- since you have to open your "C" panel to select the various outfits slots, it's not that complicated to also open your Inventory and drag the desired weapon(s) onto your portrait. (Note, if dual-wielding, directly dragging from your Inventory is the most reliable method due to right-clicking (or skill slot clicking) always trying to replace the main hand.)

P.S. I use the "drag from Inventory" method to switch my Marauder from using swords to shotos when desired. Both sets are fully equipped with 248s and augments, but that's mostly because I've gotten so many 248 hilts, etc, from Command crates. For most cases, 210 green mods would probably do fine. (or, of course, 242, 246, etc.) :)

P.P.S. Considering how easy it is to gather credits, 150K per mod extraction isn't that much - provided you don't keep doing it over and over.

Edited by JediQuaker

with 248's....that is not an issue as you can get a full inventory of random 248 items from CXP crates..

However..

258 gear...its not so easy...

to pull out an item of 258 level, it is 150k credits for each one.

25 toons running ossus dailies + operations + ranked pvp. No not all 25 are doing all those things every day..Ill say maybe 10 are?

10 x 3 (mod/enhancment/barrel-or-hilt) = 30 x 150,000 = 4.5mil a day

Ya, I could just use the 252's because why not...but..Im a tryhard and worked hard for those 258's.

Just my opinion on the matter :)

Besides eliminating the costs of switching mods and whatnot to a new weapon, weapons in the outfit designer would allow us to use the appearances of weapons that are otherwise unmoddable (hopefully, anyway.)

I've seen this topic brought up several times since the developer blog about the upcoming new preview window. I hope one thing will lead to another, and that they'll overcome all technical hurdles, so that we will eventually see weapons in the Outfit Designer. Not the most important addition to the game, mind you. Nonetheless, customization is one of SWTOR's greatest strengths, and this would only help to emphasize that furthermore.

Besides eliminating the costs of switching mods and whatnot to a new weapon, weapons in the outfit designer would allow us to use the appearances of weapons that are otherwise unmoddable (hopefully, anyway.)

I've seen this topic brought up several times since the developer blog about the upcoming new preview window. I hope one thing will lead to another, and that they'll overcome all technical hurdles, so that we will eventually see weapons in the Outfit Designer. Not the most important addition to the game, mind you. Nonetheless, customization is one of SWTOR's greatest strengths, and this would only help to emphasize that furthermore.

I don't want to see weapons ***IN*** Outfit Designer.

I want to see weapons in their own separate appearance-management slots so that I can switch around weapon look and armour look independently. My characters' weapons are not part of their outfits.

Ya, I could just use the 252's because why not...but..Im a tryhard and worked hard for those 258's.

Well, as I said in my last post, you really only "need" 258s for the very most challenging content - high-end PvP and OPs.

For the rest of it, 248s are more than adequate - especially if you are just after the "look" of a particular weapon. So switching weapons by dragging/clicking in Inventory is almost a quick as using armor slots.

This was brought up on today's stream. It is still high on their to do list, but not at the top of their to do list.

I find it amazing it is not absolute priority n1, let alone lower priority than guild heraldry, which lets be honest, who really asked for...

The hottest CM items have traditionally been weapons, and we know for a fact the most played classes are force users that share the same main-had weapons... at the same time the player-base is predominantly casual and use alts, so I imagine a lot of people tend to stick their best gear into a legacy set and share that with mirror classes & potentially other alts via legacy storage.

Which directly de disincentivizes spending CC or credits on those sweet looking lightsabers they pump out... I know I've been using the gree legacy lightsaber for years now, which I just updated to 258 to use on 3 juggs/knights... and I really cba to swap mods around every time I swap a toon or grind another 258 just for the looks. Nor do I care enough for looks to gimp myself intentionally for it. I've got BIS, I'm using BIS even if I don't technically "need" it... especially when I can pull it out of storage with a couple of clicks.

With a tab I'd much more likely buy and use special non legacy bound weapons just for the looks.

Tho I guess the metrics show BW I'm a minority, hence lower priority heh :p

Edited by aeterno

I find it amazing it is not absolute priority n1, let alone lower priority than guild heraldry, which lets be honest, who really asked for...

Let's see...

Build a *new* thing where there's no legacy of grotty code to get in the way, and also where it is a feature that we find in other games, and that I have seen go by in these forums as a suggested thing.

Build a thing that they admitted was obstructed strongly by a big legacy of grotty code and incorrect (for the new feature) design decisions baked hard into the system, such that it will cost a *lot* to even work out *how* to build it.

Look at it that way, and it becomes easy to see why they did this.

EDIT: also, there are lots of other things whose priority *must* be far above that of "Weapon Appearance Selector tabs", which is a purely cosmetic feature. (I'd say the same about guild heraldry, to be honest.)

Edited by SteveTheCynic