Game stupidity and 258 gearing

_WaveRider_

I'm currently ready to walk away from your game!

You make the Grind to reach, 258, for all playable Alts , not to mention you keep nurfing the Tatics Vanguard!

It's completely unplayable in Rank Warzones! the Class is Glass and has no staying power in a zone!

Also the Gun Slingger is Toast , the freekin Stuns go on forever!

You say we can Craft our own gear at 258, however that not true, you have to BUY CREDITS from a vender and have at least 2 billion to buy Matts and Make the item!

I've been a player for a long time and can assure, I"M TIRED and thinking of DEleteing my account so I will never be temped to ever come back!

Fix this game so everyone has a chance at getting good gear without doing HIVE QUEEN, or RANKED WARZONE'S or i'm taking my money somewhere else!

OH YA TAKE CARE OF THE WIN TRADERS & HACKERS in warzones as well!!!

I pay good money, to let it get thrown away buy someone who hacks!

Weird ... have 5 x 258 pieces during last 1.5 mo about and left to farm 5kk to buy last piece to craft 258 saber. Took 1 week + mats I gathered before in 2 mo, I just was keeping it "in case". Now I can gather those mats in 2-3 weeks too bcs put all toons in guild = conquest.

And all till now by 1 char. On 1-2 another doing pvp reg daily for scraps.

So admit, you just have no idea how to play except popping big numbers in ranked.

Edited by alexzk

Weird ... have 5 x 258 pieces during last 1.5 mo about and left to farm 5kk to buy last piece to craft 258 saber. Took 1 week + mats I gathered before in 2 mo, I just was keeping it "in case". Now I can gather those mats in 2-3 weeks too bcs put all toons in guild = conquest.

So admit, you just have no idea how to play except popping big numbers in ranked.

I'm grinding for 8 so keep that in mind! The post is the GRIND, not personal jabs!

ARE YOUR 10 years old huh?

I can do better then you huh?

The current grind process is both well beyond normal to get gear and I' won't spend my money if this crap continues.

I play game to release tension , not give me tension!

So I have a fully optimized 258 char (including weapons and offhand and 240 augs).

That being said, (while I am not considering quitting), I agree with the OP.

It’s sad because a simple fix, would be to change the ossus Weekly from RNG into an Unnassembled gear token that we could exchange for the direct piece we intend to purchase. With that one change, life would be much easier.

(I still hate slot locked modifications... but I can sort of live with it...).

I am literally tired of seeing alacrity clickable relic as my RNG box. I seriously get triggered now when I see that as my reward.

I play game to release tension , not give me tension!

Then chill out and stop fussing about 258s. They don't matter unless you're doing the two or three things that can use them.

Before you say it, yes, that's exactly what I've done. I have a character with about 50% 252s (and 236/240 augments), but the rest are less so, and I'm backfilling a bunch of things that I didn't have time to do before. (Example: romancing Raina Temple for the first time.)

I'm currently ready to walk away from your game!

You make the Grind to reach, 258, for all playable Alts , not to mention you keep nurfing the Tatics Vanguard!

It's completely unplayable in Rank Warzones! the Class is Glass and has no staying power in a zone!

Also the Gun Slingger is Toast , the freekin Stuns go on forever!

You say we can Craft our own gear at 258, however that not true, you have to BUY CREDITS from a vender and have at least 2 billion to buy Matts and Make the item!

I've been a player for a long time and can assure, I"M TIRED and thinking of DEleteing my account so I will never be temped to ever come back!

Fix this game so everyone has a chance at getting good gear without doing HIVE QUEEN, or RANKED WARZONE'S or i'm taking my money somewhere else!

You already get most 258 items without touching raiding or ranked at all, how could it possibly be easier than how it is now? I'm for sure not a fan of the gearing process, but it definitely isn't hard to do nor is it impossible to gear twinks with it. I think the time it takes is also nothing out of the ordinary, but maybe I'm just oldschool compared to most people playing mmos now. the first MMORPG I played you got max 1 or 2 items per month, and I did raid like 4 to 5 days a week. Now I don't even have to raid to get stuff smh.

I actually play PvP most of the time, not touching ranked since I prefer objective based pvp. I would love to see ranked warzones and having proper rewards for playing and winning them, similar to how raiders get rewarded.

So I'm in the same boat and not able to gear up as fast as someone playing ranked arena since there simply isn't a ranked wz queue.

I guess all the thousands of players that criticize the latest gearing grind "don't know how to play" then seeing not only is this guy complaining about it but about, oh, I don't know the majority of players?

Pretty sure the complaints have nothing to do with not understanding how to play as you say, but instead the very particular manner in which is required to play to gear up efficiently.

Let's be honest. This present gear grind has only pushed more players off SWTOR. This gear grind has not endeared players to the game more, in fact in most cases it has actually done the opposite.

By funneling how players gear up through raiding and a very tight Ossus-based grind more people than not have grown bored, disinterested, and uninspired to gear up more than 1-2 characters.

The fact is the majority of players do enjoy playing their alts contrary to what you'd think if you judged by how they designed the game over the last 2-3 years. For many people, alts should be enjoyable just as any "main" characters are, and for many alts are equally important as any "main."

It's discouraging when to gear up as efficiently as possible it requires running all different characters focused on gearing up one toon at a time. Basically alts are set on a gearing treadmill and even then it's not exactly an efficient treadmill seeing how so many pieces of gear cannot be passed via legacy to one another.

Locking in mods only exacerbated the problem of trying to pass gears across characters as well as hindering min/maxing even more than before. The passing of gears should be far easier than it is between characters.

Every step BW makes in the direction of punishing alts has done nothing but push more players away from the game. Hopefully at this point, they make game design decisions that seem to be more in line with what the players want, if that happens the game has a chance to find future success and who knows what else?

Supporting bad changes by BW and insulting other players because they dislike the Ossus gear grind and write critically of it doesn't help anything.

At this point, no one believes that players like the guy you insulted dislike the gearing system because they "don't know how to play."

The system is clunky, punishes alts (again) and grows monotonous when players are forced to grind so many toons through one singular basic activity.

This game has always welcomed alts and one thing that made SWTOR enjoyable from a gameplay perspective is you could gear up and develop/advance your characters using PVE, PVP, and everything in between.

Adding gear that everyone wants yet only making it available via a couple activities only narrows down the number of players that will want to play.

A player that enjoys story-mode isn't going to want to have to grind ranked matches and do a mindless treadmill grind with their alts just to gear up their characters. A PVP focused player isn't going to want to do MM raiding or the mindless Ossus gear grind just to get gears on their alts they want to PVP with.

I could go on and list many other scenarios where people simply want no part of this gear grind, and it has nothing to do with the game being hard or a lack of comprehension of "how to play." What it boils down to is it's not fun.

Let's be honest. This present gear grind has only pushed more players off SWTOR. This gear grind has not endeared players to the game more, in fact in most cases it has actually done the opposite.

By funneling how players gear up through raiding and a very tight Ossus-based grind more people than not have grown bored, disinterested, and uninspired to gear up more than 1-2 characters.

The fact is the majority of players do enjoy playing their alts contrary to what you'd think if you judged by how they designed the game over the last 2-3 years. For many people, alts should be enjoyable just as any "main" characters are, and for many alts are equally important as any "main."

It's discouraging when to gear up as efficiently as possible it requires running all different characters focused on gearing up one toon at a time. Basically alts are set on a gearing treadmill and even then it's not exactly an efficient treadmill seeing how so many pieces of gear cannot be passed via legacy to one another.

This game has always welcomed alts and one thing that made SWTOR enjoyable from a gameplay perspective is you could gear up and develop/advance your characters using PVE, PVP, and everything in between.

Adding gear that everyone wants yet only making it available via a couple activities only narrows down the number of players that will want to play.

A player that enjoys story-mode isn't going to want to have to grind ranked matches and do a mindless treadmill grind with their alts just to gear up their characters. A PVP focused player isn't going to want to do MM raiding or the mindless Ossus gear grind just to get gears on their alts they want to PVP with.

I completly agree that making everyone run Ossus for 6+ weeks with every character they want to gear was probably not a good idea. I think what you can do is hand over the mods if you buy the gear with your main, but you won't be able to get the shell on the twink?

Apart from the reputation grind, the gearing process itself is decent imho. It's time gated due to the availability of the crystalls but you can get them through components doing anything you want, through a changing weekly, ranked pvp and the wb quest. That's not too bad in my book and gives you a lot of different ways to aquire the best gear in the game.

So a serious question from me, how would all of you like to see gearing work? Every time I see someone complain about the gearing they never say how they think it should work.

So from what I've read so far people don't want:

- to play ossus only (I completly agree)

- reputation barrier

- time gating (with weeklies etc.)

- raid only gear

- rng drops/crates

So what does this leave us with? Doing daily quests, story chapters and wz for 10 h straight should give you a complete set of 258? I don't want to sound rude, I'm actually curious what people want to see.

So a serious question from me, how would all of you like to see gearing work? Every time I see someone complain about the gearing they never say how they think it should work.

So from what I've read so far people don't want:

- to play ossus only (I completly agree)

- reputation barrier

- time gating (with weeklies etc.)

- raid only gear

- rng drops/crates

So what does this leave us with? Doing daily quests, story chapters and wz for 10 h straight should give you a complete set of 258? I don't want to sound rude, I'm actually curious what people want to see.

The cxp crate method of gearing(as it is now) is fine. You can slap on a cxp booster(not gonna touch the fact that there's another damn near useless currency in the game) and do you for a couple of hours, open the crates you get and odds are you'll get something decent(yellow companion gifts, at least).

The whole Master Work, Monumental Master Work crystal system is also mostly fine(I imagine they'll make the crystals bound to legacy as we move closer to 6.0- that's just another time-gating mechanic, not an oversight on their part I'm pretty sure).

The problem, as far as I'm concerned, is that there's nothing to do with this shiny new gear, apart from content aimed at 5% of the player-base. Not, knocking NiM raiders here, they were definitely due some love. But either the developers didn't realize how ridiculously out-of-tune all the other content is becoming(unlikely) or they didn't really give a womp-rat's behind.

Also, for a studio that keeps going on about analysing data and making decision based on said data, they seem to be willfully ignorant of the fact that players still enjoy doing the older content(why that happens is a whole different discussion) and unwilling to act accordingly.

I stopped going to Ossus in January. Just thinking about going there again makes me logout of the game and play Minesweeper instead. At the same time, I completely stopped caring about gearing. The current endgame scenario is simply not meant for me and my interest in Swtor massively decreased in 2019. So I play other games instead and won't renew my sub unless something changes quickly. Not sure how the current scenario is good for anyone, whether players or BW, but apparently, it's how they want it.

I like the command system since they tweaked it. I wouldn't have minded a new tier as an additional way to get gear. So you would have the Ossus method AND on top of that everything else you want to play. I'm aware that command crates can drop new tier gear, but the drop-rate it way too low. I haven't gotten one drop since December.

Edited by JattaGin

I'm fine with cmd crates and weekly currency as well.

As for there beeing no use for the gear, I think this is not correct. It allows casual players to outgear some raid content and kill bosses they might have failed before. It also makes it easier to equip twinks (something a lot of people seem to care about) through raid content.

They probably will release raid content in 6.0 that will be much harder to complete without 258 gear. I assume it will take them some time until that happens, so I can take my time to get all the equip I need on the characters I want until the new content is released

I'm fine with cmd crates and weekly currency as well.

As for there beeing no use for the gear, I think this is not correct. It allows casual players to outgear some raid content and kill bosses they might have failed before. It also makes it easier to equip twinks (something a lot of people seem to care about) through raid content.

They probably will release raid content in 6.0 that will be much harder to complete without 258 gear. I assume it will take them some time until that happens, so I can take my time to get all the equip I need on the characters I want until the new content is released

i assume 6.0 is going to come with a level cap increase and new gear, making 258 gear as irrelevant as 224 gear is today.

i assume 6.0 is going to come with a level cap increase and new gear, making 258 gear as irrelevant as 224 gear is today.

That was actually what I feared. You see formerly 6.0 was scheduled for end of Ranked season 10. Luckily they couldnt make the dates so they postponed it, just like they did with GotM. So, I realized that 258 gear will be around for some time so I went for the grind. I had nothing else to do in the game anyway, just ranked PVP and since the season was ending I wanted to make sure I have 258 on all of my toons when Season 11 starts.

All the people crying about the new gear don't need it lol. Unless your doing gods NIM prog....THIS GEAR AINT FOR YOU and it's useless to upgrade.

Stop assuming you deserve the best gear cause you want it and that it should be handed to you easily. At least they let SM players be able to get the gear in the first place but again, it's purely to make you feel special because you don't need this gear and it wasn't designed for players like you.

Unless your doing gods NIM prog...

Don't forget ranked PVP. That is actually the issue that why should PVPers be grinding gear in order to be at highest level. Ranked should be competitive, skill makes up the most of what is needed, but you also have to be at the limit with the gear the game provides so that if you have people with full 258 then its only the skill that matters.

interesting to see the tune is changing yet again.

which is it - the gear was added to keep subscribers until 5.0 because gear grinding is such an incredible motivation or the gear was added strictly for MM gods and screw gear equality in PvP?

i think we are in a dilemma.

that the gear is not needed is no argument. optimizing the toons is best motivation for people to play. so we don't need that discussion to make them clear that they could stop grinding stuff they don't like. it won't work!

but we have rule #1 for mmo: "don't take away something from players!"

so if we are doing it more easy for people to equip the toons, it is okay for the most. if it gets harder, we get a problem. and especially we get a problem, if optimization is behind a wall, no matter if it is luck or a paywall.

maybe we should start thinking in alternatives?

what about real adaptive legacy shells? the setbonus will change, depending on the character wearing it, or maybe you are including a new item, for the setbonus.

for every task you finish, you get gearing experience. harder tasks, will give you items to directly push a shell to a special level. for example for a storymode boss you get an item, directly pushing one shell to level 262. master mode bosses to 268. and let there be a hugh xp bar for an update. so it could slow down all the players, not doing any harder content and rewarding the ones, doing the hardest stuff. so you would get a reward doing any stuff, bit with different weights.

but the goal is to be attractive to the majority for players.

i think we are in a dilemma.

that the gear is not needed is no argument. optimizing the toons is best motivation for people to play. so we don't need that discussion to make them clear that they could stop grinding stuff they don't like. it won't work!

but we have rule #1 for mmo: "don't take away something from players!"

so if we are doing it more easy for people to equip the toons, it is okay for the most. if it gets harder, we get a problem. and especially we get a problem, if optimization is behind a wall, no matter if it is luck or a paywall.

maybe we should start thinking in alternatives?

what about real adaptive legacy shells? the setbonus will change, depending on the character wearing it, or maybe you are including a new item, for the setbonus.

for every task you finish, you get gearing experience. harder tasks, will give you items to directly push a shell to a special level. for example for a storymode boss you get an item, directly pushing one shell to level 262. master mode bosses to 268. and let there be a hugh xp bar for an update. so it could slow down all the players, not doing any harder content and rewarding the ones, doing the hardest stuff. so you would get a reward doing any stuff, bit with different weights.

but the goal is to be attractive to the majority for players.

So let me get this straight. 258 gear for content tuned for 246 isn't enough? You want to be 20 item levels above the challenge? Lol.

If nightmare mode bolstered your gear then what would be the point of getting any gear at all?

for me ossus was nice to look at,,,nice to play against mobs of jedi/sith for once,,the grind isnt too bad if you know how to do it,,but what gets me and im surprised no one has said this,,but the fact that i get almost no cxp from killing said jedi/sith especially in the temple, and in some other areas from killing mobs is very frustrating as the repair bill outways the purpose of going there.,.,the eternal championship,they removed the reward,,i stopped going,,same with ossus,,the rewards dont make it worthwhile for me,,

for me ossus was nice to look at,,,nice to play against mobs of jedi/sith for once,,the grind isnt too bad if you know how to do it,,but what gets me and im surprised no one has said this,,but the fact that i get almost no cxp from killing said jedi/sith especially in the temple, and in some other areas from killing mobs is very frustrating as the repair bill outways the purpose of going there.,.,the eternal championship,they removed the reward,,i stopped going,,same with ossus,,the rewards dont make it worthwhile for me,,

Your complaining about repair bills? Bruh how much money do you have? 200k repairs is chump change. My guild offers 2 million a week in repairs to anyone in a team. You don't go to Ossus for the money or the CXP you go for the gear. Which again is only needed for gods NIM or Queen 16m HM.

I have a synthweaver 600 and to craft 1 single master ancient stalker’s robe it takes: 9 ancient tomes (100k each), 10 superior resource matrix (100k total), 28 charged matter transbustantiator (28x3millions), 2 forgotten strand(price too high to be purchasable) and 8 ossan assembly comp (8x650000)

900000+100000+28millions+billions(forgotten strand)+5200000= well you get the picture not the entire population on swtor can make not even 1 single piece

All the people crying about the new gear don't need it lol. Unless your doing gods NIM prog....THIS GEAR AINT FOR YOU and it's useless to upgrade.

Stop assuming you deserve the best gear cause you want it and that it should be handed to you easily. At least they let SM players be able to get the gear in the first place but again, it's purely to make you feel special because you don't need this gear and it wasn't designed for players like you.

Enter the elitist.

Who thinks that only they are good enough for the best gear...

Oh how wrong they are.....

Enter the elitist.

Who thinks that only they are good enough for the best gear...

Oh how wrong they are.....

You just said a mouthfull. And if you look close enough they can do the job with one hand tied behind their back too !!

Don't forget ranked PVP. That is actually the issue that why should PVPers be grinding gear in order to be at highest level. Ranked should be competitive, skill makes up the most of what is needed, but you also have to be at the limit with the gear the game provides so that if you have people with full 258 then its only the skill that matters.

This.. While *strictly speaking they aren't mandatory*, in practice, 258s make a noticeable difference in PvP performance, ranked or otherwise.