A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

Daemonson

You left the club, and got them to stop kicking you in the junk. That's a good thing, I agree. But what happens when you decide that the drinks there are too expensive? What will you do then? Will you and your cronies take your business elsewhere again, or threaten to do so, in an attempt to get the your preferred club to lower its prices? If they lower the prices on their drinks, what's next? What will be the next thing you want--the next reason to threaten to go elsewhere unless your demands are met?

Maybe I'll do what you say, maybe I'll be happy paying the same for drinks that I've been paying for the past 14 months.

The fun thing is, if I ask for lower drink prices, the club still has the ability to decline my request. It's not like I can force them to take $2 less for the martini I ask them to make for me...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys saying that these gear repair cost are overprice? you r troll? if not, how do player who are F2P that reach 50 lvl and it's require to pay the credit which they are limited to 200k cap? This need to fix asap.

I cant image how much it cost to repair on next swtor's expansion.

this right here

i think most ppl ignoring the prefer/f2p players CREDIT CAPS (200k for f2p & 350ki for preferred) that will make it damn near impossible to play post 50

or hell post 45+

If you can find one, I'd like to see it. I don't see it as evident that a credit sink must be universal in order to function properly, therefore more evidence would be helpful in proving your point.

As far as my understanding goes from doing some reading on game economies is that inflation is caused by too much gold (or credits in this case) in the game economy. People with excess amounts of credits will then be willing to spend exorbiant amounts on even low-value items because they can. By providing "luxury" items such as high-priced vanity items, credits are taken out of the game economy through those with excess credits.

Since the credit hoarders have less excess credit, they are less likely to buy overpriced common items, returning the game economy to some sane level (I've seen articles that actually speak of "sanity checks" when evaluating game economies).

Repair costs are paid by everyone who engages in activities that involve damage and combat-induced death. Repair costs are typically used in games because they are a relatively passive gold sink (relatively because people can actively choose not to partake in combat by avoiding flashpoints and operations - which is what we're seeing). There is a place for them in the game, but when they become excessive to the point of restricting play, they have a negative impact on the game. (Fewer people taking part in ops is not a good thing for the game as a whole.)

The high priced "luxury" items only take credits out of the economy if people buy them.

I doubt that EA/BW will introduce any in game vendors with high priced luxury items as that would take away possible income from the cartel market.

In addition to that, if they did introduce high priced luxury items, you would have people on these forums complaining that those items are too expensive because only the super rich can afford them.

What you are proposing is to trade one argument (repair costs are too high) that affects you personally for a different argument (the luxury item is too expensive) which may not affect you personally.

Maybe I'll do what you say, maybe I'll be happy paying the same for drinks that I've been paying for the past 14 months.

The fun thing is, if I ask for lower drink prices, the club still has the ability to decline my request. It's not like I can force them to take $2 less for the martini I ask them to make for me...

The club also had the option to decline your request for them to stop kicking you in the junk. You took your business elsewhere till they stopped kicking you in the junk. Now, knowing that you were rewarded for taking your business elsewhere once, why should I think you would not threaten to do so again if there was something new that you wanted?

The high priced "luxury" items only take credits out of the economy if people buy them.

I doubt that EA/BW will introduce any in game vendors with high priced luxury items as that would take away possible income from the cartel market.

In addition to that, if they did introduce high priced luxury items, you would have people on these forums complaining that those items are too expensive because only the super rich can afford them.

What you are proposing is to trade one argument (repair costs are too high) that affects you personally for a different argument (the luxury item is too expensive) which may not affect you personally.

You can't seriously be worried that people would not buy the high priced luxury items, can you? People spend the equivalent of 6 months' subscription of REAL MONEY to buy a CHANCE at cool gear every time a new pack is released. When the white crystals were available and 1M credits was A LOT, people bought them like candy!

Nobody complained they were too expensive. They bought the white ones or if they couldn't afford the white ones, they bought the lower priced purple or cyan. If there were complaints, they were NOWHERE NEAR the scale of complaints caused by this "bug fix". Entire raiding guilds did not cancel their subs over it.

If EA truly believes that so many creds in the game is a problem, they should put a bit of their money where their mouth is and offer something worth buying for credits. People will keep gambling IRL money away on packs because that's peoples' nature.

I'm quite wealthy. I'm an example of a player who will pay a considerable number of credits for a vanity item that I want - I paid over a million (to a vendor = destroyed credits) to clothe my latest alt in exactly what I wanted it to wear, and continue to pay more to vendors and players to ensure mods and such are up to date.

I also WILL NOT do a flash point on that character because the repair bills piss me off. I can afford them, but they piss me off.

You want to destroy my 10's of millions of credits and the 10's to 100's of millions of credits other wealthy people have? Give us something to spend them on that makes us happy instead of attempting to forcibly extract them via our nutsacks. The latter approach will only cost you subs.

Edited by DarthTHC

Please tell me where in that post I said that credit sinks must be universal. Pointing out an already evident fact-- that repair costs are universal while the proposed alternate credit sinks are not universal-- is a far cry from claiming that credit sinks need to be universal.

The very nature of your posts in regards to that seemed to dismiss any ideas that weren't universal. Just using your apparent intent would lead someone to believe that you feel those credit sinks need to be universal or "they won't work". If that's not what you meant then by all means feel free to clarify.

The club also had the option to decline your request for them to stop kicking you in the junk. You took your business elsewhere till they stopped kicking you in the junk. Now, knowing that you were rewarded for taking your business elsewhere once, why should I think you would not threaten to do so again if there was something new that you wanted?

Because I'm a rational human being who possesses a sense of fairness. The club continues to provide a service that I enjoy, so I pay their drink prices.

In fairness I think asking not to get kicked in the junk is not unreasonable. You do really need to take into account the severity of the situation and the request being made. A $2 hike in drink prices might in cur some patrons to leave but no where in the amount getting punted in the nuts each time you went there would. Which suffice it to say is what some people are feeling is happening.

In fairness I think asking not to get kicked in the junk is not unreasonable. You do really need to take into account the severity of the situation and the request being made. A $2 hike in drink prices might in cur some patrons to leave but no where in the amount getting punted in the nuts each time you went there would. Which suffice it to say is what some people are feeling is happening.

Good point.

If they increased drink prices 20%, some might complain and some might leave but most would probably stay, especially if the club stayed as cool as it always had been or improved in some way.

But the junk-kicking, that's just wrong...

The very nature of your posts in regards to that seemed to dismiss any ideas that weren't universal. Just using your apparent intent would lead someone to believe that you feel those credit sinks need to be universal or "they won't work". If that's not what you meant then by all means feel free to clarify.

Ok, let me clarify. While a credit sink does not need to be universal, I believe that they work best when they are universal and not voluntary. This is my personal opinion.

Ok, let me clarify. While a credit sink does not need to be universal, I believe that they work best when they are universal and not voluntary. This is my personal opinion.

Put in a life tax. Every day the game destroys 0.05% of everyone's credits regardless what they do. Poof, credit sink issue fixed.

EDIT: Thing of it is, we don't even know if "credit sink" is the reason the DEVS did this. THEY ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT IT!

It sure would be nice to have the rationale, aside from, "Durr... we found a bug on our list and fixed it with absolutely no critical thought and even less testing."

Edited by DarthTHC

You can't seriously be worried that people would not buy the high priced luxury items, can you? People spend the equivalent of 6 months' subscription of REAL MONEY to buy a CHANCE at cool gear every time a new pack is released. When the white crystals were available and 1M credits was A LOT, people bought them like candy!

Nobody complained they were too expensive. They bought the white ones or if they couldn't afford the white ones, they bought the lower priced purple or cyan. If there were complaints, they were NOWHERE NEAR the scale of complaints caused by this "bug fix". Entire raiding guilds did not cancel their subs over it.

If EA truly believes that so many creds in the game is a problem, they should put a bit of their money where their mouth is and offer something worth buying for credits. People will keep gambling IRL money away on packs because that's peoples' nature.

I'm quite wealthy. I'm an example of a player who will pay a considerable number of credits for a vanity item that I want - I paid over a million (to a vendor = destroyed credits) to clothe my latest alt in exactly what I wanted it to wear, and continue to pay more to vendors and players to ensure mods and such are up to date.

I also WILL NOT do a flash point on that character because the repair bills piss me off. I can afford them, but they piss me off.

You want to destroy my 10's of millions of credits and the 10's to 100's of millions of credits other wealthy people have? Give us something to spend them on that makes us happy instead of attempting to forcibly extract them via our nutsacks. The latter approach will only cost you subs.

If people are so willing to buy the high priced luxury items, why should EA/BW put them on an in game vendor and give up all the revenue they could get from the cartel market? It makes much more more financial sense for them to increase repair costs, and put those new shinies on the cartel market. I think that despite the numbers of people threatening to quit, the actual number of people who quit will be much lower.

If people are so willing to buy the high priced luxury items, why should EA/BW put them on an in game vendor and give up all the revenue they could get from the cartel market? It makes much more more financial sense for them to increase repair costs, and put those new shinies on the cartel market. I think that despite the numbers of people threatening to quit, the actual number of people who quit will be much lower.

Um... because they want the creds out of the economy, maybe?

How much financial sense does it make to keep this change, a change for which numerous entire raiding guilds are now cancelling their subs?

You can "think" all you want. You don't know the real numbers. You don't even know that EA did this for "credit sink". They could have done this because "Durrrr... there's this bug on my list and I fixed it while applying zero critical thought and even less testing."

Because...

If you take imaginary ingame currency out of the game via sinks like repair costs, then the "value" and desirability of CM coins goes up in relation.

It's all about milking the lazy and impatient and de-incentiveizing the subscribtion market.

How much financial sense does it make to keep this change, a change for which numerous entire raiding guilds are now cancelling their subs?

I agree. With entire guilds unsubscribing you would think they would wake up. Right?

I guess if it's not in the CM store it's nolonger important to EA/EAware. Yet another Star Wars MMORPG doomed for failure. I give them one more year then no more SWTOR. The CM Store alone will not sustain the game. I gave them a year of my time and treasure. No more. Not ever again. :cool:

Bottom line I see is this will effect everyone at some point, those people that are calling people whinners will also be effected, people will not have spare credits to spend on the GTN, so if your making money on the GTN, that is not going to be a good option in the future, sure do dailies, but after you pay your repair bill from doing dailies how much do you have left ?

What about the learning curve in allot of the raids, not everyone can afford to play 300k plus per trip to the raid while they learn the raid, that really sucks the fun right out of it when you have to worry about repair costs, I am not saying there should be no repairs costs, more inline with what the game will bare for the average player, not the few rich elites, who will also feel the crunch at some point might take them longer, between the GTN crash, people leaving, no one wanting to raid, how is any of this good for a game that is suppose to be fun. I have a boat load of credits and this does not effect me now, but I can see where it will in the future, as my avenues to make money slowly die off.

Once again EA has nothing to say on a major cluster they have created, the silence sure leaves a bad perception in my eyes, thing is I am huge fan of the game been here since early beta testing, and when you start effecting people like myself and my friends who are your target market somethng is wrong. /sigh

Please tell me where in that post I said that credit sinks must be universal. Pointing out an already evident fact-- that repair costs are universal while the proposed alternate credit sinks are not universal-- is a far cry from claiming that credit sinks need to be universal.

Ok, understood. I will give that opinion the consideration it's due.

hey folks,

i just wanted to step in here to let you know that we are actively investigating this and we will update you as soon as we have more information. We apologize for the inconvenience, but rest assured that we're looking into it.

finally a response :)

Edited by astrobearx

I haven't been raiding lately so this doesn't affect me personally, but the first thing that came into my mind about this issue is that it benefits the cartel market.

If there are too many credits floating around the game, many players are more likely to just spend in-game currency on cartel legacy unlocks and gear. Soaking up some of that cash with extra repairs makes people turn to the real world to purchase things.

My 2:sy_auction:.

Edited by Stenrik

Hey folks,

I just wanted to step in here to let you know that we are actively investigating this and we will update you as soon as we have more information. We apologize for the inconvenience, but rest assured that we're looking into it.

YELLOW!!!! Oh thank goodness, the silence was deafening (well not really, there were lots of people talking, but yeah, the silence from official sources was conspicuous in its absence.)

Hey folks,

I just wanted to step in here to let you know that we are actively investigating this and we will update you as soon as we have more information. We apologize for the inconvenience, but rest assured that we're looking into it.

Too little too late. It cost you a subscription. Mine. Too little communication. Too much CM Store. Your employers ruined a potentially great Star Wars MMORPG with their unbridled short term greed, lack of communication and out right lies concerning the switch to F2P. Never again EA/ Bioware. Never again! :cool:

Hey folks,

Thank you for looking into it and for letting us know that you are. :)

In addition to the increased repair cost for all players, please consider altering the formula to reduce/eliminate the higher repair costs for tank spec characters relative to the other specs.

Too little too late. It cost you a subscription. Mine. Too little communication. Too much CM Store. Your employers ruined a potentially great Star Wars MMORPG with their unbridled short term greed, lack of communication and out right lies concerning the switch to F2P. Never again EA/ Bioware. Never again! :cool:

Just leave already then.