Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

3.0 Mercenary/Commando DPS by Hotwired

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
3.0 Mercenary/Commando DPS by Hotwired

Gyronamics
12.25.2014 , 07:19 AM | #11
Commando guide is now up in post #2.

As before, if you see a bug in the wording most likely by me changing faction terms then feel free to mention it.

Happy Christmas troopers
Hotwired

Niman, Tomb of Freedon Nadd, The Red Eclipse, Darth Malgus

The Immortals, The Lumberjacks, Nano, Not Good Enough, Disciples of Babylon, Salt Miners

venomlash
12.25.2014 , 11:18 AM | #12
I mostly run Gunnery and am still figuring out the new Assault, particularly the opener for it. Is it worth using Hail of Bolts before pulling to pre-load the Ionic Accelerator proc?
Quote: Originally Posted by MichelleArcher View Post
Hey there, all! This thread has passed the dreaded 1,000 post limit, and is now in fire. Thanks for the fun, but we feel this discussion as run its course. We will not be restarting this thread.
Jarrant Gartin, Gunnery Commando, Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony

Gyronamics
12.25.2014 , 11:44 AM | #13
Depends how precise your pull is.

If your ops leader doesn't care to have the pull revolving around a 10 second window that lets you save 15 resources then there's little point, you might end up getting a pull too early or late for the proc to help and if its too early it might screw your opener by the internal cooldown not being done by the time you want to unlock the proc again.

Really not necessary, more of a dummy trick than something you'll find yourself doing in a fight.

However using Hail of Bolts to proc because you failed horribly at timing your Full Auto is an option mid-rotation.

Because channels now only charge your resources per tick, you let the first tick happen which will proc then instantly cancel the channel using the escape key or moving. Thus you get an (almost) instant proc for only 8 energy. You will need to stand still to do it.

If you're thinking about openers then what you need to think about is the 6pc set bonus which autocrits Mag Bolt after you use Full Auto with a limit of once per minute.

Put that in your opener and it's a large banked crit with all the relic procs and your adrenal stacked on it.

The large downside is that a 6pc set bonus is a long way to go for most people so until that comes around try stacking dots (electronet counts as a dot), blowing supercharge for another dot and +10% damage on all dots and get the fight going with a yellow text fountain coming off the target. Then into the rotation.
Hotwired

The Immortals, The Lumberjacks, Nano, Not Good Enough, Disciples of Babylon, Salt Miners

PrivatePSYcho
12.28.2014 , 04:00 PM | #14
In regards to IO, is your opener the same as the regular rotation?

Gyronamics
12.29.2014 , 12:20 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by PrivatePSYcho View Post
In regards to IO, is your opener the same as the regular rotation?
Pretty much.

You spike the start with empowered DoT which will kick your damage to about 6000dps roughly half a rotation in:

GCD01 Serrated Shot (buffing DoT and 2pc 2% damage increase)
GCD02 Incendiary Missile (required to trigger Supercharged Burn)
GCD03 Electronet + Adrenal + Supercharged Gas

And then you roll cleanly into the rotation.

This doesn't make use of the 6pc autocrit. The autocrit will instead happen in the second rotation cycle approximately when the proc relics trigger again.

The alternative (if you have it) is to use the 6pc set bonus autocrit as the opener:

GCD01 Serrated Shot (buffing DoT and 2pc 2% damage increase)
GCD02 Mag Shot + Adrenal
GCD03 Unload (unlocking Mag Shot)
GCD04 Unload (continued)
GCD05 Electronet + Supercharged Gas
GCD06 Incendiary Missile (required to trigger Supercharged Burn)

Again this is a clean transition into the rotation but this time that first Mag Shot will autocrit.

Note the full cost Mag Shot in there, to neutralise this you need to rely on your raid leader and arrange to pre-proc your Mag Shot using Sweeping Blasters. Having someone ignite the target for you for a "reduced cost" Mag Shot is an alternative but a totally free Mag Shot is the best choice.

I could tell you to watch the timer but instead I'll say that you can time it perfectly and open with a free Mag Shot by doing this pre-pull:

GCD01 Sweeping Blasters (proc here)
GCD02 Sweeping Blasters (continued)
GCD03 Toggle off then toggle on your Combustible Gas Cylinder

The moment your CGC is fully channeled you roll into the Serrated Shot of the opener for the autocrit sequence.

Now if the pull is not exactly synchronised, two things can happen:

• Early pull: Tough luck, you need to continue the pre-pull sequence and start a little late otherwise the procs will not line up.
  • Late Pull: Two choices, continue autocrit opener with a full cost Mag Shot and use Vent Heat early or fall back to the non-autocrit opener and simply open with heavy DoT.

Of course this is no issue at all on a dummy.

This is obviously the more advanced rotation style so fill every slot with Power Shot and use Thermal Sensor Override on the first Unload to create 2GCD of passive regen/neutral heat. Keep filling with Power Shot until you're looking at ~70% heat then burn Vent Heat. From that point you use your own judgement to fill and moderate your heat with Supercharged Gas and Thermal Sensor Override until you can overheat with heavy fill and Vent Heat again.

If anyone would like me to repeat anything in opposite faction terms just mention it otherwise I'm going to reply for the same faction someone asks a question for.
Hotwired

PrivatePSYcho
12.29.2014 , 07:24 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Gyronamics View Post
From that point you use your own judgement to fill and moderate your heat with Supercharged Gas and Thermal Sensor Override until you can overheat with heavy fill and Vent Heat again.
Haha that's a tough call! I can't seem to correctly time Supercharged Gas / TSO / Vent Heat.
I find that if I trigger SCG incorrectly, heat will blow over and will force me to use TSO,
likewise with a badly timed TSO --> Vent.
And with both 'main' heat reduction abilities on cooldown, you're forced to Rapid Shot for every filler :-(

I'm sure there has to be an upper limit on heat, as to the correct times to be using each ability eg.
Heat < 20 = SCG
Rapid Shots + TSO + UL <30-40
Vent < 60

I'll have to play around and work it out exactly.

Once again though, thanks heaps for the indepth reply, absolutely brilliant!

Ryuku-sama
12.29.2014 , 07:33 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by PrivatePSYcho View Post
Haha that's a tough call! I can't seem to correctly time Supercharged Gas / TSO / Vent Heat.
I find that if I trigger SCG incorrectly, heat will blow over and will force me to use TSO,
likewise with a badly timed TSO --> Vent.
And with both 'main' heat reduction abilities on cooldown, you're forced to Rapid Shot for every filler :-(

I'm sure there has to be an upper limit on heat, as to the correct times to be using each ability eg.
Heat < 20 = SCG
Rapid Shots + TSO + UL <30-40
Vent < 60

I'll have to play around and work it out exactly.

Once again though, thanks heaps for the indepth reply, absolutely brilliant!
About Vent. You shouldn't use it before you reach 70-80 heat. Under that and it's a waste.

And that's normal. The spec is made to run on a few burn cycle around your CD and on RS and positive rotation when your CD aren't close to be off-CD.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

ForceWelder
12.29.2014 , 11:57 AM | #18
Well done informative post. Thank you sir!
Want to subscribe or re-subscribe to SWTOR?
Get more with your return and click on the link below

Gyronamics
12.30.2014 , 07:11 AM | #19
While using your resource CD have a look out for a Charged Bolt consuming the Reserve Powercell you trigger to use on the Full Auto following it.

Seems to be distressingly frequent that the buff for Reserve Powercell will somehow by eaten by the cast BEFORE it if you are "precasting" the Reserve Powercell while the cast is in progress.
Hotwired

Cotlu-Hunlon
12.31.2014 , 05:59 AM | #20
Hey Hotwired thanks for this guide, it makes much more sense than all the other ones for Assault Spec that people have come up with so far.

Just looking for a bit of clarity on the opener for Assault Spec since I imagine you wouldn't want to start straight away with the main rotation since it's good to get the Serrated debuff on before you open with any Mag Bolts. How do you solve this seeing as you apply Serrated mid rotation again and clip roughly half of the opener Serrated Shot off?

The Nostalgia Thread - Come live in December 2011 with me