Deception Assassin Opener

_Pryor_

Posted this question in the Shadow forum, figure the more input the better. Are you guys using Spike as your opener or saving it for after you Force Cloak? Have heard different view points, but as I also play an operative, I favor using Spike to initiate.

Posted this question in the Shadow forum, figure the more input the better. Are you guys using Spike as your opener or saving it for after you Force Cloak? Have heard different view points, but as I also play an operative, I favor using Spike to initiate.

the only time i use spike is in pvp but i tend to use discharge as my opener more often even in pvp just because i'm more use to ti cause that's what i do in pve for my opener but i try to rember to open up with spike in pvp

I find spike to be garbage, there are animation conflicts between spike and maul (using them in rapid succession) and I take FOREVER to swing the saber around to actually stab them. I find spinning kick to have synergize well with most abilities and if I'm not mistaken, has a shorter animation so less delay, but that is just my perspective, and using it for opening is a waste imo. Better to surprise them with a 4k discharge or deathfield (Wakajinn spec) and get more burst off before they have the time to react to it.

Spike fills far too much resolve and doesn't have enough utility to be worth the trouble. When playiing Deception or the various hybrids I will typically open by using Reck>Overcharge>Discharge>DF if 0/27/14>Electrocute>Maul(if proc'd and it most often is by now)>Thrash/VSx2>Shock>Low Slash>whatever is applicable for the situation afterwards. Spike is also a force ability, so if you prematurely use Reck, it will consume a charge. Edited by Cowflab

My opener depend on what I'm attacking. If I fight a squishy target I usualy open with Recklessness+overcharged saber then discharge and shock.

If its a tank its Dicharge-voltaic slashX2-shock-If I have at least 3 stacks of surging charge I use overcharged saber+recklessness then VSX2 discharge+shock.

This is the opener I use and I find it the most usefull opener than any already posted.

Now when ur fighting scrubs who just playing suck using an opener that's straight forward as the one being posted will work. However when ur fighting really skilled players that tactic just won't work all the time. Best strat I've found in any 1v1 situations is spike-maul- low slash- crushing darkness- then from here you would go into ur normal rotation. Now the reasoning. Reason why I use spike is for 2 main reasons. 1) dumb players will use cc breaker on this and 2) gives us a chance to proc maul for big dmg. Maul will be next used whether it process or not cuz we have lots of force regen at this point worrying about it being procd doesn't matter here to much. Low slash next to force one of 2 things, either they're gonna see you casting crushing darkness and be like OMG he's gonna hit me with that and they'll blow their cc breaker and interrupt you which is good for you cuz now you have ghe upper hand. Or they'll let you finish the cast and now they take a decent dmg that places a dot on them too. Worst case scenario is ur fighting a class like an op or another sin that can cleanse the dot. Yes true they can however remember you just hit them with spike, maul procd or not low slash and the initial hit of crushing darkness. All of this combined you've already done a good amount of dmg to your opponent and they have yet to do anything back to you yet. And best part is you still have yet to use ur strongest moves for that massive dmg we deception sins love to do. Now of course you can't use this all the time like when ur in a big group fight where you got multiple people attacking you. But just be aware of what's going around you at all times and this strat is not too hard to use even when in the fray of things

This is the opener I use and I find it the most usefull opener than any already posted.

Now when ur fighting scrubs who just playing suck using an opener that's straight forward as the one being posted will work. However when ur fighting really skilled players that tactic just won't work all the time. Best strat I've found in any 1v1 situations is spike-maul- low slash- crushing darkness- then from here you would go into ur normal rotation. Now the reasoning. Reason why I use spike is for 2 main reasons. 1) dumb players will use cc breaker on this and 2) gives us a chance to proc maul for big dmg. Maul will be next used whether it process or not cuz we have lots of force regen at this point worrying about it being procd doesn't matter here to much. Low slash next to force one of 2 things, either they're gonna see you casting crushing darkness and be like OMG he's gonna hit me with that and they'll blow their cc breaker and interrupt you which is good for you cuz now you have ghe upper hand. Or they'll let you finish the cast and now they take a decent dmg that places a dot on them too. Worst case scenario is ur fighting a class like an op or another sin that can cleanse the dot. Yes true they can however remember you just hit them with spike, maul procd or not low slash and the initial hit of crushing darkness. All of this combined you've already done a good amount of dmg to your opponent and they have yet to do anything back to you yet. And best part is you still have yet to use ur strongest moves for that massive dmg we deception sins love to do. Now of course you can't use this all the time like when ur in a big group fight where you got multiple people attacking you. But just be aware of what's going around you at all times and this strat is not too hard to use even when in the fray of things

Hey, . .what a great post response. You spoke my language, and plan on implenting this !!!!

THANKS Demonjin !

You should never, EVER use crushing darkness unless its a last resort while being kited. Even then you're better off cloaking and resetting the fight. This is terrible advice imo. Spike is only a 2 second knockdown after all and CD is a 2 second cast. After accounting for the GCD after spike, being in melee range, you're going to get interrupted. You've now done jack squat for damage and given the target ample time to CC or snare you. Basically pitting you outside of a deception assassin's comfort zone of burst and control.

You should never, EVER use crushing darkness unless its a last resort while being kited. Even then you're better off cloaking and resetting the fight. This is terrible advice imo. Spike is only a 2 second knockdown after all and CD is a 2 second cast. After accounting for the GCD after spike, being in melee range, you're going to get interrupted. You've now done jack squat for damage and given the target ample time to CC or snare you. Basically pitting you outside of a deception assassin's comfort zone of burst and control.

Perhaps you should read over my post again before you open your mouth. You forgot a couple of steps between spike and crushing darkness...LIKE LOW SLASH. That is what you use to setup for Crushing darkness. And if they break the CC on low slash, you obviously will not use crushing darkness for the reason you pointed out. However either they break it and congratulations u just forced your opponent to use his cc breaker early in the fight, now the fight is in your hands. OR they let you cast crushing darkness and youve done some nice damage without even using your BIG hitters!! EITHER WAY ITS A WIN WIN SITUATION. If you dont like my strat, dont use it, however you prefer using your burst straight up and then ur left fighting w/o CD's as with my strat, ur already doing good dmg w/o having to use your cd's and only thing you wasted is a low slash which is on a 15 sec cool down, so by the time you get done with ur rotation and need it again its already up.

However like everyone already agrees on your opener is very situational, use what u think is best

Edited by DemonJin

No. Bad. Wrong. Ignore this post.

I have been using this opener for a few weeks now. It is incredibly good but its heavy force cost makes it very situational in warzones. Great for dueling though.

Perhaps you should read over my post again before you open your mouth. You forgot a couple of steps between spike and crushing darkness...LIKE LOW SLASH. That is what you use to setup for Crushing darkness. And if they break the CC on low slash, you obviously will not use crushing darkness for the reason you pointed out. However either they break it and congratulations u just forced your opponent to use his cc breaker early in the fight, now the fight is in your hands. OR they let you cast crushing darkness and youve done some nice damage without even using your BIG hitters!! EITHER WAY ITS A WIN WIN SITUATION. If you dont like my strat, dont use it, however you prefer using your burst straight up and then ur left fighting w/o CD's as with my strat, ur already doing good dmg w/o having to use your cd's and only thing you wasted is a low slash which is on a 15 sec cool down, so by the time you get done with ur rotation and need it again its already up.

However like everyone already agrees on your opener is very situational, use what u think is best

So, you go from filling a ton of resolve in a low slash to cast a situational ability? I have played this game for a long time now and I have never run into a situation where this would be your best option. Spare me the "you're bad, that's why you haven't" comments. Most that know me would tell you I'm a good player who knows his ish. The only time I've ever had a good use for spike was a quick cloak into spike after a low slash>electrocute cycle because it leaves a sliver of open resolve given that a teammate hasn't filled it. So, please, tell me I'm doing it wrong...

No. Bad. Wrong. Ignore this post.

I have been using this opener for a few weeks now. It is incredibly good but its heavy force cost makes it very situational in warzones. Great for dueling though.

See post above. If its incredibly situational in actual PvP then it doesn't nullify regular strategies... Duels don't mean ****, other than epeen stroking.

See post above. If its incredibly situational in actual PvP then it doesn't nullify regular strategies... Duels don't mean ****, other than epeen stroking.

fighting the solo defender on a node

fighting an isolated healer/anything

forcing a lot of pressure/cc on someone in general

you're doing it wrong

fighting the solo defender on a node

fighting an isolated healer/anything

forcing a lot of pressure/cc on someone in general

you're doing it wrong

Lol, so in other words, isolated circumstances which are rare in an objective based team game. Whatever you say though man. You're right, I'm wrong. Have a good day. I don't have time to sit here and bicker with you.

Like said before 1 of 2 things will happen:

1. Your opponent uses his cc break and now he can be your bit** for the rest of the fight.

2. He lets you get crushing off dealing and you continue your onslaught.

As it was mentioned it's very situational, but it ends up being a win/win.

And "isolated" fights happen in every warzone so no point in arguing there.

All I know is I never use spike to open as I don't like filling resolve unless I have to. If we had some sort of damage boost for attacking a player which is incapacitated I would be, I just open up with thrash or shock but I play a lot of madness builds so that's just me. Edited by cycao

Like said before 1 of 2 things will happen:

1. Your opponent uses his cc break and now he can be your bit** for the rest of the fight.

2. He lets you get crushing off dealing and you continue your onslaught.

As it was mentioned it's very situational, but it ends up being a win/win.

And "isolated" fights happen in every warzone so no point in arguing there.

As I've said before, if the sequence is "very situational" it doesn't constitute a normal opening sequence "bad..."

As I've said before, if the sequence is "very situational" it doesn't constitute a normal opening sequence "bad..."

Oh I think I see what you're saying. Like in the starting mid of a civil you wouldn't really open with that rotation which I totally agree with.

But if we're talking about mid battle there are so many "openers"...I could open with an assassinate if the target is sub 30, or a spike if mid heal to interupt.

So IMO the main topic should be taken as a 1v1 situation. Inb4wzareobjectivebased...I know lol.

Oh Waka, you make me laugh. Assassin is my main and have been pvp'n since beta with it and I will say just a couple of things.

First off, there are many many different combinations and rotations you can use and still be successful. What I find with most opponents is I out gear them, or I out skill them, either way there was 20 different ways I could have beat them. Very rarely will you run into a situation where a slight deviation of your rotation is why you won or lost. Its usually a landslide either way.

Some people use their CC to ensure they get their damage rotations going, some use their CC to mitigate damage from opponents. Personally I do not like opening with Spike because I like to keep their resolve bar as empty as possible for some timely Low Slashes and our 4 second stun. I like to try and use cc to prevent their set up and burst.

Mostly I run the Wakajinn spec and I just open up with DF, Shock, and Discharge. By the time they realize that they are getting nuked I can use my CC for Mauls and prevent them from turning the tables. I find that when I open with Spike not only does it fill their resolve but they also go into to reaction mode. When someone is stunned or cc'd on an opener they will usually respond with some cc of their own with a knock back or stun. But when I open with some burst they tend to try and go into their rotations and it is usually too late when they realize how much damage they are taking.

Edited by Xethis

Oh I think I see what you're saying. Like in the starting mid of a civil you wouldn't really open with that rotation which I totally agree with.

But if we're talking about mid battle there are so many "openers"...I could open with an assassinate if the target is sub 30, or a spike if mid heal to interupt.

So IMO the main topic should be taken as a 1v1 situation. Inb4wzareobjectivebased...I know lol.

I agree, which is why I was saying what I did. Apparently posting a guide and YouTube videos is justification for "some" to act like jerks and argue semantics though.