Hi Res Texture Models 1.2?

Ravonous_Curse

I was under the assumption that those CINEMATIC High res texture models of my

characters would be used as the in-game textures once 1.2 was live.

Did I misunderstand something or did they just not implement that?

Scroll down and turn on character antialiasing. that paired with high res textures results in good looking characters.

I was under the assumption that those CINEMATIC High res texture models of my

characters would be used as the in-game textures once 1.2 was live.

Did I misunderstand something or did they just not implement that?

They did implement that, this might be a stupid question but did you set them to high on the graphics setting ?

I have the settings on high, didn't see the anti aliasing for the characters. Logged in and with HIGH on didnt notice a difference. Ill see if I can find the other setting, AA though shouldn't really have that much of a effect on a TEXTURE quality, maybe reduce Jaggies, but I looked at the scars on my characters faces, and they look still like that drawn on effect from pre 1.2, not the character select screen which seems to be a bumb map.

Thx for the replys.

It's a bit misleading. or busted. I cant tell which. I thought it just turned on HD for my characters and companions, but turning it on actually seems to turn it on for /all/ NPCs for me, resulting in a larger degredation in FPS.

There's a specific setting for it in preferences, that will start out at low for all I presume. It was low for me.

Jhayden mentions it up here already, character atlasing - not anti-aliasing.

It doesn't look like an "in-your-face" upgrade but at least it makes everyone look less blurry.

It works but it's wonky, especially in crowded areas such as the Fleet.

Turning it on and zooming all the way in and you'll see the higher textures pop in. However, pan the camera and it'll flicker on and off. Especially so with other characters and players around you. If it pops out you have to manually scroll back in again to reactivate it. Have to constantly fiddle with it.

The flickering has been there for as long as I remember and it feels like a LOD/engine issue which annoys the hell out of me.

Been reasonably impressed with the 'higher resolution' texture atlas.

Wasn't really expecting much of an improvement at all, and was even expecting some stretch issues where UVs were being positioned in the texture atlas in shapes that didn't reflect the geometry they were associated with, but so far the improvements has been reasonable considering all a texture atlas actually is and haven't noticed any stretch issues yet.

Edited by Tikigit

It was a nice surprise, went from blurry and muddy textures to actually having items with some detail.

So much for the game engine not supporting hi-res textures. I wonder what else they were saying couldn't be fixed can actually be fixed.

It's sluggish for me with lots of people on the fleet (frames drop to around 14 FPS) but overall this update has IMPROVED FPS for me, even with the higher detail.

Free performance FTW ^.^

Edited by llesna

It's a bit misleading. or busted. I cant tell which. I thought it just turned on HD for my characters and companions, but turning it on actually seems to turn it on for /all/ NPCs for me, resulting in a larger degredation in FPS.

That's a problem with your machine then.

I turned it on on my LAPTOP and noticed only a very small drop in FPS (2-4 FPS less), even on Fleet.

It's sluggish for me with lots of people on the fleet (frames drop to around 14 FPS) but overall this update has IMPROVED FPS for me, even with the higher detail.

Free performance FTW ^.^

Another option to consider if you especially have a lot of Fleet lag is the option that reduces the amount of people shown on your screen at any one time. It is standard still on high, but you can put it on very high, medium or low.

Setting in on medium will fix most Fleet FPS problems for most users except those on very low end machines.

Edited by Devlonir

That's a problem with your machine then.

It's a problem with my machine that an option that supposedly just turns on higher res characters for my people is turning them on for every player and NPC in the game? Hard to belive that something with my hardware is forcing the engine to do that.

Free performance FTW ^.^

Agreed, I was surprised when I went from a PowerPoint slideshow with shadows on high to something I can comfortably play.

I have the settings on high, didn't see the anti aliasing for the characters. Logged in and with HIGH on didnt notice a difference. Ill see if I can find the other setting, AA though shouldn't really have that much of a effect on a TEXTURE quality, maybe reduce Jaggies, but I looked at the scars on my characters faces, and they look still like that drawn on effect from pre 1.2, not the character select screen which seems to be a bumb map.

Thx for the replys.

It's not AA but Atlasing.

Edited by Enkenon