LOVE the Sentinel....But

Quaza

Playing my Sentinel again (level 50). Forgot how much fun is was to leap in and slice, dice, and hack away at Imp-scum. I pretty much play nothing but War Zones. I think I've got down a good rotation to do max damage, BUT can't stay alive long enough to implement it. As soon as I jump in to the mix I get stunned, frozen, and spun around like a Cat 5. VERY FRUSTRATING. What few and weak stuns I do have never seem to work. Do my devensive skills suck that bad or do Sentinels just have a very high mortality rate. I spec as watchman. Are the other trees better for survivability? My gear is about half war hero half elite war hero (all weaponmaster) and I'm using the might augs. Is there a good guide out there for Sentinel PVP strat, spec, and gear selecton?

The game changed recently with the bubble-stun fiasco and changes to make it harder to fill resolve. One of the reasons a lot of pvp'ers spec focus right now is because most of the main attacks are instants and can be wound-up while you're stunned/cc'd in wzs. Watchmen is great in sub-50 wzs where not everyone has all of their ccs ready, but it is definitely not so stellar in 50 games without a lot of backup and team coordination. Combat spec is the same way with a very fragile rotation (devastating in the right hands and with support but in general pugs not so useful). At least until the Makeb expansion hits I would definitely respec to focus.

Awe is a great cc that sentinels have. Use it -after- you smash. Force choke is not so good because it gets interrupted by any cc or interrupt ability hitting you; use it (and master strike) when you're targeting a healer that's trying to stay away from the pack. Buy stun grenades: I can't stress enough how useful it is to prevent enemies from being able to attack while you're using a rotation on them.

Focus sentinels are a very powerful wz spec but they will usually lose in 1v1 to watchmen or combat specs assuming both sides have all cds available (which doesn't really happen often in wzs). Good luck.

you actually have the best defenses of any melee dps. you should pop rebuke before you jump in. if you're jumping into a crowd (as combat/watchman) you can pop awe to mezz the crowd while you burn your single target. you can place a 90% accuracy debuff on him. you have a 20% flat dmg mitigation shield. you can force camo to get a free attack before they reacquire you and pick up the fight. and when you're ~20% health, you can pop your 99% dmg mitigation shield that guarantees you 4s of up time (you may be proactively stunned, so save your breaker for this). you may also be stunned when you pop gbtf. ok. fine. that means you were stunned one less time over the course of the rest of the fight.

honestly, if you're jumping into a grp of ppl, though, you should have backup somewhere or expect to get focused and die..

in the current state of the game, you can be stunned three times for ~3s each before resolve fills, so jumping into a crowd is almost always a bad idea because they will always have a plethora of stuns to chain you with and the dps to kill you while in it. (focus fire is just doing it right)

edit: if you're in watchman, save force choke until after you've applied overload saber and cauterize. mostly, choke/stasis is an interrupt ability for you, but you can really optimize its dps potential in watchman if you wait until your burns are on the target before using it. it's also an excellent counter to other sents who pop gbtf as it wastes most of the invulnerabilty that they just paid half their hp to get.

Edited by foxmob

Sentinels are supposed to jump into packs - they aren't supposed to try to solo packs, but in group-v-group battles that's where they (as much or more than any other class) is supposed to be: in the middle. The problem with the current game is that even if that sentinel isn't being focused or targeted, he's still going to be pounded by numerous aoe mezzes, stuns and knockbacks.tt

For focus you want expertise and power and surge in that order. Expertise is better than power because it also adds to your survivability. There's a thread on here somewhere with lots of math and tests in it. But all of this will change in a month or 3 with the new expansion so I wouldn't go crazy maxxing your augments and swapping mods in armor sets at this point. Just get a base vindicator (not weapon master) WH set if you don't have it and put blue overkill power augments in it.

Edited by WaywardOne

I do use my defensive abilities and stuns alot, but I guess my timing has still has alot to be desired. It all happens so damn fast. What camera distance do you guys play from. I can observe more from a greater distance but it feel more intense up close. The intensity is why I play. The sound cranked up and the visual effects make it all the more real. My heart still races before every match. Love it

just lol !

you like aoe cc awe but not be cc as well by bubble...

here we are : sentinel/marau are whining

poor little thing, i'm crying for you:rolleyes:

he's not whining. he's asking for advice. crawl back under the bridge from whence you came.

just lol !

Roll a marauder/sent, you'll spend at least 50% of the match without a control of your char.

You will die for a Powertech doing 5k railshot, stun, 2.5k flameburst + 5k railshot, stun again, flameburst + railshot.

Shadow/sin coming out of stealth knocking you down, 6k maul, stun, 4k shock + 4.5k discharge, stun again, 5k maul.

Operatives/scoundrel ...........

LOL, yeah guess Im whinning a bit, subscriber pay good money to whin. But still loving every minuet of every match. Im new to mmo's, but been a Star Wars fan since Episode 4. I was 14 I think. My first game ever was KOTOR and a few shooters along the way. Im hooked.

Roll a marauder/sent, you'll spend at least 50% of the match without a control of your char.

You will die for a Powertech doing 5k railshot, stun, 2.5k flameburst + 5k railshot, stun again, flameburst + railshot.

Shadow/sin coming out of stealth knocking you down, 6k maul, stun, 4k shock + 4.5k discharge, stun again, 5k maul.

i did and it is the easyest class to play. the "all around class"

so if you whine playing senti/marau, omg don't try other classes and hope the 2.0 will not be weak for you..

ps : for comparing my main is an agent lethality ok, play it and we'll see :rolleyes:

Edited by Thaladan

i did and it is the easyest class to play. the "all around class"

so if you whine playing senti/marau, omg don't try other classes and hope the 2.0 will not be weak for you..

ps : for comparing my main is an agent lethality ok, play it and we'll see :rolleyes:

I know you're just trolling but... what class do you consider to be "hard"? Agent "lethality" is easy, just not easy to score big numbers with as it is widely considered one of the gimpier class/specs in the game at the moment. At least you're not a mercenary...

Edited by WaywardOne

The only way we would die to any I those is I we don't have cooldowns up. PTS and Operatives don't do well against watchman. Shadows/Sins depends on the spec. I think a lot of people are missing the fact that the OP clearly doesn't know what he's doing with the class, hence him asking for advice. And all classes are affected by stuns, not just sentinels. :rolleyes:

just lol !

I guess its safe to say you've suffered defeat at the hands of a sentinel yes?

Edited by PoliteAssasin

Why wouldn't you just hit one of your multitude of defenses and survive and win?

Sents/Marauders have nothing to complain about, they are by far the alpha class in this game. If you lose to any nonSents/Marauders you are terrible and need to L2P.

Edited by NathanielStarr

Why wouldn't you just hit one of your multitude of defenses and survive and win?

Sents/Marauders have nothing to complain about, they are by far the alpha class in this game. If you lose to any nonSents/Marauders you are terrible and need to L2P.

Sentinel/Marauder aren't the alpha class in the game. Guess you don't know what the h*** you are talking about.

just lol !

Personally I don't like awe - I don't think any of the aoe mezz abilities should work in pvp - but if I've got it I'm obliged to use it if it is useful and it definitely is. However, compared to bubblestun? 1 aoe 6-seond mezz every 60 seconds vs 16-24 aoe low-resolve 3-second hard stuns every 60 seconds? Seriously? You call that trolling? C'mon...

Edited by WaywardOne

Sentinel/Marauder aren't the alpha class in the game. Guess you don't know what the h*** you are talking about.

they've been in a very good place for pvp since day one. they have 3 viable specs in pvp. compared to every other melee dps, they have an outrageous number of dcds. are they fotm? meh. comes and goes, I suppose. but have you not noticed that they're one of the best dps options after every rebalancing patch? just because there's a paper to their rock (snipers) doesn't mean they don't simply outclass the majority of other classes in the wz.

given the state of bubble-stun, atm, I could care less about the fact that maras have a lot more dcs and only slightly less burst than a comparable dpser such as PT or sin w/o his tanking points.

Edited by foxmob

Don't try to make people believe lies simply because you play one. There is substantial imperial proof that they are the alpha class in PvP if not the whole game.

The response to accusations that Sents/Marauders are not the most powerful is always "you don't know what you are talking about" without backup because all the evidence says that they are.

Edited by NathanielStarr

they've been in a very good place for pvp since day one. they have 3 viable specs in pvp. compared to every other melee dps, they have an outrageous number of dcds. are they fotm? meh. comes and goes, I suppose. but have you not noticed that they're one of the best dps options after every rebalancing patch? just because there's a paper to their rock (snipers) doesn't mean they don't simply outclass the majority of other classes in the wz.

given the state of bubble-stun, atm, I could care less about the fact that maras have a lot more dcs and only slightly less burst than a comparable dpser such as PT or sin w/o his tanking points.

The paper to our rock is actually tankasins, not snipers. Even with the new mobility I'm not even sure if I would add them up there. Any sentinel that loses to a sniper on live simply doesn't know how to play their class correctly. And as far as bubble stuns go, the only spec really affected by that is combat/carnage, not the other two.

Don't try to make people believe lies simply because you play one. There is substantial imperial proof that they are the alpha class in PvP if not the whole game.

The response to accusations that Sents/Marauders are not the most powerful is always "you don't know what you are talking about" without backup because all the evidence says that they are.

I'm assuming you mean empirical, not imperial? You can't honestly believe that sents are the top class in the game. That'd probably have to go to shadows. We have good 1v1 capability, group buffs, and decent damage, decent defensive cooldowns. Shadows have stealth, good 1v1 capability, decent damage, decent defensive cooldowns, taunts, guards, speed, pulls. In a pug group, I can do more for my team on my assassin than I can on my sentinel simply because of better utility. Don't get me wrong sents bring a lot to the table, but don't overlook other classes such as shadows, or even possibly snipers who are very good at group support. And lets be honest, sentinels who actually push the class to its limits are a rare breed. The class may have a lot of fotm rerollers but your average sentinel isn't going to be "OMG they're so overpowered" status.

I'm assuming you mean empirical, not imperial? You can't honestly believe that sents are the top class in the game. That'd probably have to go to shadows. We have good 1v1 capability, group buffs, and decent damage, decent defensive cooldowns. Shadows have stealth, good 1v1 capability, decent damage, decent defensive cooldowns, taunts, guards, speed, pulls. In a pug group, I can do more for my team on my assassin than I can on my sentinel simply because of better utility. Don't get me wrong sents bring a lot to the table, but don't overlook other classes such as shadows, or even possibly snipers who are very good at group support. And lets be honest, sentinels who actually push the class to its limits are a rare breed. The class may have a lot of fotm rerollers but your average sentinel isn't going to be "OMG they're so overpowered" status.

Marauders have the best group buffs in the game with predation and bloodthirst, they have smash, and shadows are basically relegated to off node guarding. I don't see that changing in 2.0, sins didn't get smash and marauders didn't get stealth-tank.

Why is this relevant to your discussion? Because your typical rated team consists of at least 3 dps and one off node guard, meaning marauders are better represented in pvp right now. In 2.0 it's hard to call, but currently sent/marauder are the most used class.

Edited by JP_Legatus

I know you're just trolling but... what class do you consider to be "hard"? Agent "lethality" is easy, just not easy to score big numbers with as it is widely considered one of the gimpier class/specs in the game at the moment. At least you're not a mercenary...

Yep, most classes aren't all that difficult to play if you have decent keybinding.. While a lethality operative ( I'm assuming he was talking about an operative, seeing that lethality sniper is usually considered decent, at least in regs) is one of the weaker classes in some respects, it is quite easy to top the damage on it. A cull will regularly hit for 4k if even one of the 3 parts crits, and 6-7.5k if all three crit and the target is 30% or below. When you set up properly you can cast 3 in 4 globals. No only that, but you can spam ~275 dps corrosive darts on most of the other team which really adds up. Against an uncoordinated team it is surprisingly effective. Of course, the set up for any burst takes a while, and you interfere with your team's cc if you dot multiple targets, but when it comes to shear numbers, you can compete with even pts and rage. That said, at least until the changes from 2.0 go live, it really isn't viable in rateds. Even with the changes I'm not sure it will fit in good teams.

Sorry, but a good Sniper/Gunslinger/Assassin/Shadow will kick the crap out of majority of the Sentinel/Marauder in this game.

Edited by Ramtar

Sorry, but a good Sniper/Gunslinger/Assassin/Shadow will kick the crap out of majority of the Sentinel/Marauder in this game.

True. But that's because the majority of sents/maras aren't that experienced with the class. The few outstanding ones will have no issue. (The ones that people wrongfully call hackers) That being said no point in trying to convince Nathaniel that the class isn't OP. Hes a sniper and figures that because some sents can kill him, they are OP. Haven't seen so much consistent Sent/Mara hate from another member of this community.