(steam version) Will I be annoyed by a Visual C++ Redistributable popup every launch

Falensawino

Since the post-poned patch Tuesday, I've been greeted with a UAC pop-up every time I start the SWTOR launcher.exe launcher through steam. https://i.imgur.com/7MUOZUJ.jpg (screenshot from phone because UAC locked out print screen)

I seem to have made the mistake of allowing steam to update swtor with Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x86) - 14.24.28127 and I now received the pop up every launcher startup.

Allowing the Redistributable to run, does not make it go away next launch startup. UAC Prompts me every time I launch the game, it prompts just once, but I've done this enough that it's getting on my nerves. I know there are users with shorter tempers that get discouraged from running Steam apps with less hassle.

This won't go away, and I'm afraid it will become a permanent fixture to the game.

steam version only, as far as I can tell.

There are existing threads about this as far as December 2020 in steam Discussions for SWTOR

Launcher asks for Microsoft Visual C++ every single time. Started December 1, 2020 17 posts Last post February 19

I have this software up-to-date, so I don't understand why it keeps spamming me with this warning all the time.

vc redist every time i launch game Started February 17, 2020 12 posts Last post 16 hours ago

visual c redistributable asks to install every time.

i tried uninstalling the latest version but that just broke a ton of programs on my pc even though it did fix this issue, having multiple broken programs is not an acceptable price to pay.

eventually fixed this by reinstalling all the vcredist packages, and this issue has come back with this game.

do you think they have any intention of fixing this?

Everytime I launch (Microsoft Visual C++..) Started December 16, 2020 2 posts Last post December 28, 2020

Everytime I launch the game I get a pop up asking to make changed to my device for (Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x86) -14.24.2917). I have all the Microsoft Visual downloaded but everytime I launch the game I still get this popup. Not really sure what to do, I've verified integrity of game files, redownloaded and still.
Edited by Falensawino

The first solution in this thread will solve your problem:

"If it's C++ 2015-2019, uninstall it through the Windows Settings / Control Panel (I had 2 versions, so uninstall every 2015-2019 package), then restart your PC. After that, go to the SWTOR folder. If you are using Steam, it should be Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic. You should find a file named VC_redist.x86.exe, run it and install it. Then restart your PC again.

I had a similar problem, hopes it help. But beware, some programs can stop working after that. I had a problem with Creative Cloud, just reinstall the app or repair the app through Control Panel."

Unfortunately, I have the same problem, but doing so made my Logitech G Hub not working, and I can't reinstall the software either. Anyone knows how to fix this?

To answer the question in the thread title: I don't know. It definitely seems to happen every time (and there's no compelling reason for them to try to make it happen each time), but I cannot tell you whether you will be annoyed by it.

I'm guessing that both versions of the launcher (Steam and non-Steam) do it, but that the non-Steam launcher already has UAC privileges (when you run it), so the redist package inherits them and doesn't put up a UAC prompt of its own. It probably happens during one of the two passes that the yellow bar makes.

Anyway, I tried an experiment. The goal, ultimately, is to not see the thing pop up *every* time the game is launched, and to not distrupt other applications on the PC. The *solution* is to open the directory inside Steam (normally "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic" if everything is stored in its normal location) and rename the file "VC_redist.x86.exe" to something else (I added an "x" at the beginning of "exe", giving "VC_redist.x86.xexe"). The game seems quite content to start up and run without the file, and I was able to log in to a character and play normally (OK, I only played a few moments, but ...).

To answer the question in the thread title: I don't know. It definitely seems to happen every time (and there's no compelling reason for them to try to make it happen each time), but I cannot tell you whether you will be annoyed by it.

I'm guessing that both versions of the launcher (Steam and non-Steam) do it, but that the non-Steam launcher already has UAC privileges (when you run it), so the redist package inherits them and doesn't put up a UAC prompt of its own. It probably happens during one of the two passes that the yellow bar makes.

Anyway, I tried an experiment. The goal, ultimately, is to not see the thing pop up *every* time the game is launched, and to not distrupt other applications on the PC. The *solution* is to open the directory inside Steam (normally "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic" if everything is stored in its normal location) and rename the file "VC_redist.x86.exe" to something else (I added an "x" at the beginning of "exe", giving "VC_redist.x86.xexe"). The game seems quite content to start up and run without the file, and I was able to log in to a character and play normally (OK, I only played a few moments, but ...).

I tried your method. Reboot the pc, keyboard software works fine. Opened swtor, no annoying window. Ran a random FP (not hs, what were the chances lol) without problem. So far so good. Thank you!

Yeah, DO NOT UNINSTALL this from your computer. It will wreak havoc with other programs. I did a ton of research on this and found the following to be the best recourse, for now. Well see what happens after the next patch.

Simplest suggestion is the rename one.

• 1) Go to This PC > Windows (C: ) > Program Files (x86) > Steam > steamapps > common > Star Wars - The Old Republic.

• 2) Rename the file 'VC_redist.x86.exe' to something else like 'VC_redist.x86TEMP.exe'

Launching SWTOR no longer will hit you with that pop up message asking about Visual C++ Redistributable making changes to your system.

I've done it and have had no problems so far. But like I mentioned earlier, well see what happens after patch 6.2.1.

I am so glad to have found this and not be the only one. After updating my antivirus just the other day and my first time logging in to swtor since I thought it was something I did or my kids. At least I am not the only one experiencing this inconvenience right now! I’m sure they will fix it. I’ve been googling fixes and none of them I like such as deactivating uac settings and such.

This started happening to me recently. Looks like maintenance hasn't fixed anything yet. I noticed the certificate expired in 2020. Does anyone know if the expiration leaves the program vulnerable to bugs or slicing? Edited by yutak

This started happening to me recently. Looks like maintenance hasn't fixed anything yet. I noticed the certificate expired in 2020. Does anyone know if the expiration leaves the program vulnerable to bugs or slicing?

If the signature is still numerically correct (it is, or Windows would give a *different* prompt when the launcher tries to run it), it should be *valid*, but the age of the redist suggests that it's an old version, and thus may contain exploitable bugs that have been fixed in later versions of the redist. (And it's *Microsoft's* certificate, which implies that SWTOR should include a more up-to-date version of the file, but it's definitely a non-critical error.)

There is an issue with some versions the 2017 redistributable that block proper installation of the 2015 and 2015-2019 packages. That would fit the issue: Swtor tries to install the newer version, but that fails. The game still runs because the dll files are there, but the next time Swtor starts it tries to install again.

You could try uninstalling all VC++ redistributables with a year higher than 2013 and install the latest 2015-2019 runtime package from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads-2647da03-1eea-4433-9aff-95f26a218cc0

Edited by Mubrak

Years ago, I installed from the game DVD and use a non-bitraider version. All these years, I've had the Launcher.exe causing a UAC window to pop-up and have lived with it.

I know this is similar to but not the same as the topic of this thread. Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of that without lowering the overall UAC protection for the entire PC?

Years ago, I installed from the game DVD and use a non-bitraider version. All these years, I've had the Launcher.exe causing a UAC window to pop-up and have lived with it.

I know this is similar to but not the same as the topic of this thread. Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of that without lowering the overall UAC protection for the entire PC?

Did you install to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86)? Those are protected by Windows, and programs that need to write to their Installation folder (logfiles and updates in case of Swtor) need higher user permissions.

2 ways:

- Run the launcher with admin rights (right click / properties / compatiblity - check the "run as administrator" box).

- Installing to another folder (or manually moving the current folder to another location) should do the trick as well.

Edited by Mubrak

Did you install to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86)? ...

Thank you.

I ran into that folder issue years ago with another application, so I've installed all applications since then into a separate folder (created by me.) SWTOR folder has always been in that custom parent folder. I changed the privileges of Launcher.Exe and it is continuing to show me the UAC (which lists the launcher as trying to make a change.) I changed it for current user as well as for all users with identical results.

Edited by mike_carton

Yeah, DO NOT UNINSTALL this from your computer. It will wreak havoc with other programs. I did a ton of research on this and found the following to be the best recourse, for now. Well see what happens after the next patch.

• 1) Go to This PC > Windows (C: ) > Program Files (x86) > Steam > steamapps > common > Star Wars - The Old Republic.

• 2) Rename the file 'VC_redist.x86.exe' to something else like 'VC_redist.x86TEMP.exe'

Launching SWTOR no longer will hit you with that pop up message asking about Visual C++ Redistributable making changes to your system.

I've done it and have had no problems so far. But like I mentioned earlier, well see what happens after patch 6.2.1.

This method seems to work, however now I'm receiving a red message in the top of the launcher that sais "Was not able to launch the game", but this doesn't seem to cause any problems in launching the game. So far this method is good and easy.

This method seems to work, however now I'm receiving a red message in the top of the launcher that sais "Was not able to launch the game", but this doesn't seem to cause any problems in launching the game. So far this method is good and easy.

I'm getting that message as well after renaming the .exe and hopefully it won't play havoc with the next patch.

I'm getting that message as well after renaming the .exe and hopefully it won't play havoc with the next patch.

Most likely the next patch will simply restore the file and the popups will be back.

Edited by Mubrak

I got that message but I thought it was some error after the delay of the feb16 maintenance? Or maybe I only noticed that after the feb16 maintenance notice was gone. But I don't mind as long as the game runs anyway lol

Here is what worked for me.

Reboot the computer

Go into Programs and Features (Start > Run > Appwiz.cpl), scroll down and find Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x86) - 14.24.28127

Take Note: Do not mess with the (x64) version which is right above the (x86) version. The UAC prompt, at least for me, always mentions the x86 version so that is the version we should be messing with.

Right-click the (x86) version, Choose Uninstall

Enter your admin password at the UAC prompt if you get one

Once Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x86) - 14.24.28127 has been uninstalled, Reboot your computer

Login in as usual, but make sure you don't launch any applications

Go into the "Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic" folder wherever your Steam directory is located

Install the VC_redist.x86.exe file as Administrator (right-click, Run As Administrator)

Let that finish, then reboot again

This worked for me

FYI - I was getting the UAC prompt to install the redistributable AND I was getting line down the right side of the screen I couldn't get rid of when I was in the game. After I performed the steps above the line is now gone and I don't get the UAC prompt.

Edited by Thurgathon

Download patch 6.2.1 yesterday, I had never had this popup before. So it did not fixed it, I did this solution and it worked though, even if I get the "unable to launch the game message", was still able to launch the game and I'll see if anything bad happens while I'm playing. Quite annoying.

• 5 weeks later...
Download patch 6.2.1 yesterday, I had never had this popup before. So it did not fixed it, I did this solution and it worked though, even if I get the "unable to launch the game message", was still able to launch the game and I'll see if anything bad happens while I'm playing. Quite annoying.

i just want to pop in because i was having this C++ redistributable popup thingy as well. Did the "rename" of the item in question and haven't had any issue since. As for those saying the red text now pops up in the top of the launcher, that was occurring to me before i even did the rename fix. that began shortly after the whole permissions thing kept coming up. but it's not affecting the game, so that's a plus.

• 1 month later...