Player Generated Flash Points

Sobowin

OK, I am going to put it out there. SWTOR gets very boring after the first run through. I mean i love the game have

played it since beta, But really i can only do so many of the same story arc quest. How often have I found myself

space baring through flash points and wishing ppl who haven't done it yet to PLEASE PLEASE HURRY UP....... I

have a new way that isn't an idea of my own but used in many other MMORPG's. Player created content, IE... I can

design my flash point, with my own story plot, its own twist and turns. Allow the creator to make them solo able, or

group of 2+ and so on. The reward would be XP Random Item drops for that level range, social points for 2 or

more in a party, light side dark side points and choices. If you allowed this to happen you would allow the

community to create an ENTIRE story arc of their own. Imagine how many people would be drawn to SWTOR just

to see what kind of crazy FP someone created. The game would never get old!!!! And Development team can really

focus on important issues instead of constantly worrying about what kind of new content they are going to need to

put in. In fact if monitored properly I bet you can get some seriously awesome idea's to branch out from. Allow the

community to VOTE on what they think about the flash point. The best get watched by the dev. team and they can

decide if they like it or not. I mean as far as "new content" from swtor, it has been pretty weak. Don't get me wrong I

love space battles and what not but... how does that fit into "my "story"? It doesn't it was thrown in their to give the

community of something "new". I say you give us the "power" to create the "new". Just an Idea and suggestion.

"Please, no need to flame, or be childish, just some real feedback from intelligent people please."

Edited by Sobowin

Macros and add-ons are not permitted. What makes you think player created content would be permitted?

NEVER gonna happen.

The biggest obstacle to overcome would be creating an access point. Player created content would require players to have access to the system.

The ONLY way I see this possibly happening is for the players to submit FP story arcs in a written format that the developers could then decide to implement; like writers submitting scripts to movie studios.

Edited by psandak

City of Heroes tried this, and while I will talk my old love up as much as I can, even there, it didn't really work as well as expected, and it already had gameplay and balance (as well as naturally-occurring variety) that actually worked in a reasonably natural way with user-generated content. This game does not have the same advantages, and overall, I just don't see it getting pulled off.

The closest I could see happening would maybe using the Legacy family tree to do a few "arch-nemesis" type missions where your characters could encounter each other. But even, then, I'd imagine it'd be extremely limited if it were ever implemented at all.

There are two big problems that would have to be overcome for an idea like this to work well.

First, the number of people that are able to come up with content that is both interesting and balanced is a small, small percentage of the people who complain about a lack of interesting content :p

Second, and perhaps more important, for better or for worse, modern MMO players aren't as attracted to actual interesting content--they want to do flashpoints to get gear, not vice versa.

That is, let's imagine two user-generated flashpoints. The first is a well-designed flashpoint with an interesting story and combat encounters which, while not impossible, are difficult enough that a group not paying sufficient attention will probably wipe.

The second has no story, and the content consists of one long, featureless hallway, no trash mobs, just a boss every 25% of the hallway distance, and those bosses are all basic tank-and-spank.

Which of these two would be more popular with the player base?

Macros and add-ons are not permitted. What makes you think player created content would be permitted?

NEVER gonna happen.

The biggest obstacle to overcome would be creating an access point. Player created content would require players to have access to the system.

The ONLY way I see this possibly happening is for the players to submit FP story arcs in a written format that the developers could then decide to implement; like writers submitting scripts to movie studios.

Well if you play neverwinter nights they have a second type server for Just creating instance dungeons. They dungeons have a preset design to them. It is very successful there, and to say this would never happen is a bit much.

City of Heroes tried this, and while I will talk my old love up as much as I can, even there, it didn't really work as well as expected, and it already had gameplay and balance (as well as naturally-occurring variety) that actually worked in a reasonably natural way with user-generated content. This game does not have the same advantages, and overall, I just don't see it getting pulled off.

The closest I could see happening would maybe using the Legacy family tree to do a few "arch-nemesis" type missions where your characters could encounter each other. But even, then, I'd imagine it'd be extremely limited if it were ever implemented at all.

Go play neverwinter night, It is there and working exactly as it should

There are two big problems that would have to be overcome for an idea like this to work well.

First, the number of people that are able to come up with content that is both interesting and balanced is a small, small percentage of the people who complain about a lack of interesting content :p

Second, and perhaps more important, for better or for worse, modern MMO players aren't as attracted to actual interesting content--they want to do flashpoints to get gear, not vice versa.

That is, let's imagine two user-generated flashpoints. The first is a well-designed flashpoint with an interesting story and combat encounters which, while not impossible, are difficult enough that a group not paying sufficient attention will probably wipe.

The second has no story, and the content consists of one long, featureless hallway, no trash mobs, just a boss every 25% of the hallway distance, and those bosses are all basic tank-and-spank.

Which of these two would be more popular with the player base?

I have to disagree on your first point, SWTOR is design behind story driven game play, And to let the community Design their own story would be a lot of fun.

As for your second point, You would have to put rules in play, so that there wont be a boss fight every 5 seconds. And the gear would be random based on level. So yes you can gear grind but its entirely a random drop.

let's just leave creating story to devs and writers...

So your misunderstanding the context of this Post. I'm not asking for macro's or a Mod. I have played SWTOR from beta and i am a subscriber. Now what i am referring too is them to allow us, the people who pay for the game, the people who give them there jobs, the people who allow this machine to even function (the player base if you haven't got that yet) the option to create their story flash points. They wouldn't be a part of the over all game design, or anything like that and No you couldn't farm them for for epic drops or MAD ***** gear. the drops for early game could be decent, but as you get higher in lvls, your doing it more for the fun of the player created story. But the lack of imagination is really astounding here. I mean i know many players who spend HOURS on the char creation screen ( not in swtor) trying to get their character to look just they way they want, building a flash point would be in same way. Look i know i keep going back to the same game as a reference, but it is working. Go look at Never Winter Nights that PWI host. I have seen dungeons created on there that range from Serious and follow an actual same type story plot, to other dungeons that are just hilarious and make you want to go through them over and over again just to see what different commentary to you can get. Anyway, it was just an idea. All I know, is that if they don't put in some real content in the near future, my money goes somewhere else that wants to put oin what I invest. Good luck out there.