Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Planning to buy a new laptop for SWTOR, any suggestion?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Planning to buy a new laptop for SWTOR, any suggestion?

JediQuaker
07.18.2019 , 10:55 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by lilathrone View Post
I've been using my 4 year old laptop with nvidia 840m and i7 4510u.....ASUS ROG TUF FX505DU
SWTOR is very CPU dependant and likes fast CPUs with high clock speed. I'd suggest you primarily look for a laptop with a fast CPU and worry about the GPU as a secondary concern.
The Ryzen 7 3750H is definitely faster than your old i7-4510U and overall the specs look good for that laptop.
Note though, that even high end desktops will get reduced FPS with SWTOR in PvP and OPs. Hopefully it will be "playable" however.
Also, to avoid overheating - since SWTOR will create a lot of CPU and GPU heat - don't push the graphics settings too much.
Also - SWTOR uses at most 2 cores/threads so, when it comes to SWTOR the number of cores (beyond 4) is not much of a factor.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

DzastinBiberi
07.18.2019 , 11:15 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by lilathrone View Post
I know I shouldn't buy laptop for gaming, but as I'm travelling a lot, PC is not an option for me unfortunately.

I've been using my 4 year old laptop with nvidia 840m and i7 4510u, but playing SW:ToR is getting a little frustrating with the lagfest on world bosses or raids and pvp, and with the new expansion soon coming I finally decided to change my rig to a new one. I don't wanna spend a lot on it on high-end tier laptops so I'm thinking more in middle or entry level category on gaming laptops.

What I'm thinking on buying:
ASUS ROG TUF FX505DU

AMD Ryzen 7 3750H
16 GB RAM
512 GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Do any of you have experience with similar configuration on SW:ToR? Or as far as I know swtor is very cpu heavy, so should I pick a better intel instead? (But that's also more expensive )
Can you recommend better in this ~1000 EUR range? I really don't wanna struggle with swtor stuttering any more.

Thank you!
I've bought Dell G3 in November last year, it literally eats everything I play.

Specs

Intel i7 8750h (always around 4GHz on all cores 6c/12t)
M.2. PCIe SSD 512GB
16GB dual channel 2666 MHz CL15 HyperX Impact
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti
15.6" IPS 1080p screen (if that matters).

SWTOR runs very smoothly.

Mine was a little over 1000 euros.

Keep in mind that you probably have to undervolt it a bit to lower the temps.

Before buying certian model, be sure to check reviews for it.

ZionHalcyon
07.18.2019 , 01:43 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
SWTOR is very CPU dependant and likes fast CPUs with high clock speed. I'd suggest you primarily look for a laptop with a fast CPU and worry about the GPU as a secondary concern.
The Ryzen 7 3750H is definitely faster than your old i7-4510U and overall the specs look good for that laptop.
Note though, that even high end desktops will get reduced FPS with SWTOR in PvP and OPs. Hopefully it will be "playable" however.
Also, to avoid overheating - since SWTOR will create a lot of CPU and GPU heat - don't push the graphics settings too much.
Also - SWTOR uses at most 2 cores/threads so, when it comes to SWTOR the number of cores (beyond 4) is not much of a factor.
Just an update to that, I believe now SWTOR will use up to 4 cores now, but not more than that.

Kallie
07.18.2019 , 03:35 PM | #14
I got an Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop a few weeks back. Have been running the game on ultra settings and it has been smooth the whole time.

DaveVoogd
07.19.2019 , 03:03 AM | #15
I have a Acer Nitro 5 with i7 and nvidia gtx 1060 and swtor plays so smooth

SteveTheCynic
07.19.2019 , 03:14 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Delani View Post
get a 400-500 gaming PC and you can run this game on ultra settings
How will this help the OP when he's out on the road for work?

(I'm also inclined to express some doubt about the validity of the concept of a 400-500 *gaming*PC*. 1400-3500, sure, i'd let you put those numbers next to "gaming PC" without a quibble, but ...)

(The above is not mean to imply that you need to spend that much in order to play SWTOR on Ultra, just that at the 400-500 price level, it isn't likely to be worthy of the title "gaming PC".)
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.