Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Two Sides of The "Up To" Coin.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Two Sides of The "Up To" Coin.

Aramyn
12.15.2011 , 09:46 AM | #11
There is only 1 way to interpret "up to". I'm sorry you fail at English.

Deal with the wait. I am.

Bondelas
12.15.2011 , 09:48 AM | #12
I don't know guys...

Maybe Bioware was trying to not overload their servers while also avoiding that craziness that occurred even over the Beta invites.

You know, the whole time during beta when people were making speculation threads on when they would get into beta. Even then it was all about "who joined first."

So allowing people who "Entered their pre-order first" and letting them get the first game time seemed like a step in the right direction from Bioware.

The whole "Up to" thing still kind of baffles me. I still don't remember when they pulled out this marketing tool, but it definitely was not marketed that way when I got my pre-order. Or when my Gamestop told me "Sorry, we didn't get any pre-order information yet", I could have promptly kicked the employee straight in his teeth (Dramatization, love you Gamestop...kind of). I certainly don't understand why our peers are using this argument against each other, though. It a little backwards that a fellow consumer could feel good inside that a company they invested in is making most of their customers unhappy.

Either way, we will all be playing soon, but it's no fun to watch a community divide over silly things like this....just so you can get a jab in on another player while he is down.

Snowred
12.15.2011 , 09:49 AM | #13
Another wall of text whine QQ thread cool

Saryel
12.15.2011 , 09:49 AM | #14
So when a store is having a sale and advertising savings of up to 75% off you assume that everything in the store is 75% off?

Gillityr
12.15.2011 , 09:49 AM | #15
I can't believe that there is still a handful of people trying to change the meaning of "up to 5 days". It boggles my mind.

I set an alarm to wake up in the middle of the night, just so I could pre-order and show my support to Bioware. I knew all along that I may not get early access. Why? Because I read and understood the meaning of "up to 5 days". ZERO certainly falls into that explanation.

Go join the other clown who wants to start a class-action lawsuit and the turd who wants to occupy Bioware. That makes three of you.

I am now resorting to *begging* Bioware forum moderators to swing their ban hammer at some of these people who think they deserve to be first in line for a party when they showed up late.

Zones
12.15.2011 , 09:49 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by JustTed View Post
"Up to" is really clear and only has the one meaning.
Yes, it does, it means it is possible to get it but not guarenteed. The thing is it was impossible to obtain even before the first week of preorders was finished... So...

Diablo_the_lord
12.15.2011 , 09:51 AM | #17
I like the OP.

Mandrax
12.15.2011 , 09:52 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by uberpinoy View Post
Not to mention there was a $5 Pre-order Origin fee. Happens to align nicely with "up to" 5-day Early Access. If the December pre-orders get 4 days of Early Access does that mean they get a dollar back?

Point is, no one knew about staggered Early Access prior to Pre-Ordering, otherwise I'm sure a lot more people would've pre-ordered EARLY. It's common sense.

The "staggering access" is a great idea to prevent server overload. Completely understandable.

Not letting customers know about first-come-first-serve access and Early Access according to Pre-Order date up front is a bit problematic as you are now aware because it will inevitably segments groups of people that were going to play together from the onset because they can't get on the same server as their buddies that were allowed access before them.

As far as all the people trolling, that's just the internet for you.
The $5 deposit doesn't even figure in this because when pre-orders were released, those of us that ordered it early, didn't even know how much early access there would be. We didn't know if it was 1 day or 10 days.

In terms of the first come first served issue, it was stated very clearly on this website, you know the site you have to go to in order to redeem your code, under the section marked 'Pre-order'. This information was available from 21st July, the day pre-orders were released, it's been public information for months.

The only thing we haven't known for quite as long is how much early access we would get.
Space, is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space...

Shinian
12.15.2011 , 09:52 AM | #19
I agree. It's absolutely no fair that I preordered in december, with the promice of 'up to' 5 days and now it looks like I'll be playing tonight, 5 days before launch. I've been scammed!

Damn Bioware for fulfilling their promise to my satisfaction!

Demorgoth
12.15.2011 , 09:55 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by JustTed View Post
"Up to" is really clear and only has the one meaning.
It does.
It means that alought you aren't guarenteed the maximum, you have a CHANCE of getting the maximum.
If December pre-orders aren't added today, and Bioware have known their time-related staggering release for months, then they were advertising 'up to 5 days' when they knew they couldn't fulfill the 'best case' for anyone at all.

It's like advertising a sale for 'up to 75% off!' knowing you don't have anything instore with more than 50% off