The discrepant levels of game play

t-darko

The discrepant levels of game play is now so abundantly obvious, in regard of skill and min/max gearing, that the PvP is becoming so incredible one sided at times that it's down right boring. Either you win with a fantastic scoreline OR you lose by the same a couple of WZ and arenas later. Close games are extremely rare . . .

What need to be done? Frankly, I don't know BUT the stun party must have an end! and by the way, resolve is a plain joke, for starters.

And further more explain again WHY we need expertise? and do not in that explanation include the most obvious

---> that we're just being milked on money and game time by the devs!!!!

And for cryin' out loud! Is there anyone at the HQ in Austin that have read a book on Motivational Theory, Human Behavior Theory OR are you all just self taught 1-0-1 genius' ? and did any one of ya finished some where above average in Business school OR is TOR just an intern project at BW? It is abundantly clear to us all that you're letting the idea and interest around the Star Wars Franchise doing most of the work for you.

And honestly, seeing the new Huttball map, how ever excited I am about it, unless u don't have a reward system that includes 1)passing 2) ground gained 3) ground cleared for the carrier 4)protection of the same - and not just your ordinary tank guard but actually guarding as in stopping the opponent to reach the ball carrier and this in approx distance to the carrier were as defending close to the carrier is rewarded more 5) passing assist with each pass being worth more the closer you are to the goal line and the same goes for protection as described above 6) Positioning to receive pass with higher reward the closer you are to the goal line 7)turn overs and then 8)scoring

All of this MUST be rewarded higher then any kind of smash and senseless stunning in order for people to learn to play huttball or else the New Huttball arena just gonna be another big whine. And this should be applied on every huttball game or any WZ for that matter.

When all this is said, the huge discrepant in player skills are the biggest threat of all or any swtor PvP generally and the new Huttball arena specifically.

Edited by t-darko

Well they're starting to tone down CC so that's a good thing.

Toning down CC isn't going to change the fact that when one side has the situational awareness to put 2 or more dps on a single target and the skill to put up more than 100k damage each and the other side doesn't the side that doesn't is going to get rolled and a thread will be made on the pvp forums complaining about heals being op or some dps class needing nerfed or confusing a root or snare with being CCed.

Toning down CC isn't going to change the fact that when one side has the situational awareness to put 2 or more dps on a single target and the skill to put up more than 100k damage each and the other side doesn't the side that doesn't is going to get rolled and a thread will be made on the pvp forums complaining about heals being op or some dps class needing nerfed or confusing a root or snare with being CCed.

Don't forget, "Pre-Mades Are Ruining PVP!" Usually with several exclamation points and an overabundance of QQ.

In all seriousness, though, I don't think anything will ever change until/unless they ever implemented a legitimate matchmaking system, which would need to be supported by cross-server queues. Until they do that, we're stuck with the random matches where it's a complete crap shoot as to what kind of team you join.

I also think the bolster system is really stupid and should go away (at least at 55, if nowhere else), but I at least can agree with the motivation behind it. The problem seems (at least from this semi-noob's point of view) to be that, in trying to mitigate the tremendous advantages that better gear can provide (in a typical MMO) by bolstering stats on players with worse gear, they're instead exacerbated the situation by providing nerfs, in effect, to anyone who doesn't fully understand and take advantage of bolster.

Edited by georgemattson

Discrepancy is the word. No support.

This Bunny is just being Smug . . . and maybe french considering the 'le'

But for those of you that are not easily distracted from the objective, read the text below ...

Let's not get into PVP gear and expertise again...

PVE players murdering PVP players with level 78 raid gear. Do not want.

Thanks for reminding me, I was to worked up when writing this post and I needed this reminder. Should then expertise stat, in any way, kind and form, be a requirement for entering any kind of, unranked as well, lvl 55 pvp?

And I'll like to be a bit more elaborate. The trouble isn't just skill, as in individual skill, or/and min/max knowledge the gear. It is also this;

How do we make more players skilled?

I just recently came back and most of my 55's are in conqueror with some obroan. It took maybe 2 days and I do just fine. So gear isn't an issue.

Situational awareness!!! The thing about WZ' and Huttball is that doing damage doesn't need to be the dominant skill, as a stealther you need to know that capping and defending will be your primary tasks and your damage stats will be suffering more often then not if you do your role correct. A good tank should be able to do great work interrupting and be 'all over the place' to guard and taunt, as u do this correct you won't be able to do that much solo kills but your protection points need to match you damage output. I could go on and on about why damage stats shouldn't be the primary stat for gaining medals in a WZ and a huttball game

Behavior that helps the team to win an objective or defend for that matter should always be rewarded with more medals then just dealing damage. It is a great difference between standing alone capping a objective or doing it coordinated under constant fire, for example a VG grappling the guard away from the guarded objective to create an opening for the stealthcap should be rewarded as well, as it is now you only get rewarded a basic attack point no matter the circumstances and only if you cap and that is a full cap. not a gradual cap that often are the situation when teammates push and slow the guards away from his guarding objective or the goal line. (VS, CV, NC, AHG, Huttball)

My point?

Awarding the 'right' thing will create the PVP situational awareness we all see lacking in the WZ' with a majority of the pvp population in the game, How? well it is real simple award the right thing/behavior and people correct their behavior accordingly.

Edited by t-darko

I see your point and would love to actually be rewarded for good play and pure pointless derbing no being rewarded.

What follows is not BW propaganda, although i might sound like it....

to make the changes happening (outside huttball... in huttball it should be possible and yeah this an EA game :p) you would really need to code a massive action tracking and analysis system... which surely can be implemented, but doesn't really fall into the expertise of games development but rather Business Intelligence (so completely different department. I mean you name the grapple to stealth cap, which is a brilliant move and in all fairness deserves some respect, but for a computing machine it isn't that obvious that this was brilliant...so to set up analytic methods for correctly classifying and training to classify correctly with a low margin of error (otherwise massive QQ)... it is just to expensive, to demanding ... and a bigger amount of the player base is just happy derping (no offense it is fun sometimes).

Otherwise no role gets easier medals than tanks (tanking pvp is not necessarily easy)... so if a tank in the current setup doesnt taunt, use guard and swap it around to those that take massive damage, chances are even with any changes to rewards and stuff, he will still not know what he has actually to do in a wz or arena. What makes me wonder though that their are achievment for dps and heals but none for tanks....:(

Otherwise node guards get rewarded... you just don't see it that much on the score board directly.

A lot of wzs are actually decided at the main fight and the most valuable resource there are pure dps and pure hps. and those are properly rewarded anyway. What isnt capture are though moments of brilliance, like a good cc that manages to get door cap in voidstar or that massive interrupt that saves the day and stuff and as i said those are really hard to measure in pure numbers. But if you see it happening just vote for the player who did it, i usually do.

Close games are extremely rare . . .

That's what I have witnessed yesterday as well. I think it is right to think of a tendency to not get close games that often ...

I cynically put it like this yesterday :

"Farm or be farmed - there is no in-between ..."

Edit : Unranked level 55.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

A lot of wzs are actually decided at the main fight and the most valuable resource there are pure dps and pure hps. and those are properly rewarded anyway. What isnt capture are though moments of brilliance, like a good cc that manages to get door cap in voidstar or that massive interrupt that saves the day and stuff and as i said those are really hard to measure in pure numbers. But if you see it happening just vote for the player who did it, i usually do.

I agree with you mostly but, want to challenge your thoughts in some degree. The 'main fight' as you say is often where the WZ' are decided, but only because the silent consensus in the WZ between the fighting team. For example in the NC WZ a progressive and proactive rotation often, if performed somewhat accurate, keep the smashing OP opponent on the move and guessing that the smash serves no purpose.

But if we follow the silent consensus and decide that the main fight is at the Southern bunker, the capping of that bunker gonna be very hard and if u in that scenario just get rewarded 1 basic attack point and that for a fullcap, to win the bunker. If you in that situation when defeat it perceived to be staring you in the face and the average pvper starts thinking on judgement after a defeat, the average pvper makes a conscious choice between capping or just fight the enemy and get the damage stats up and the choice always fall on the later since you are deemed a bad pvper if you don't get those stats up.

Now, if you get as richly rewarded for cap attempts as you do on damage stats, more people would actually go for the cap and their contribution would be shown on the scoreboard as - cap attempts or - full caps. The same would go for - time guarded on capped node or - time guarding attacked node, these kind of stats shouldn't be that hard to implement. Thus we would actually to some degree 'learn' the average WZ attendee to be a contributing player.

Edited by t-darko