Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

An in-depth look at: Force Powers- Pyrokinesis

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: Force Powers- Pyrokinesis

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
04.12.2013 , 05:25 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post
Great read! I always wondered if I just pulled a Force power out of my backside when I was writing one of fanfics a couple years ago and gave a character the ability to create/control fire. Thanks to your alter environment and pyrokenisis threads I now see I was not making it up, lol. Seems I have some work to do fleshing out the character's power. Something I look forward to doing.

Thanks Aurbere!
No problem.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

marcelo_sdk's Avatar


marcelo_sdk
04.13.2013 , 07:15 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post
It's interesting that you're slowly compiling these overview threads, but it does concern me that some "Force Powers" which were introduced as individual gimmicks for a certain character or group of Force Sensitives may slowly end up applied across the whole spectrum of Force Users.

As you said, pyrokinesis is pretty rare, and not really a stock power. Just like Force Walking is almost a unique ability for the Kalligs, there are certain abilities which are tied more to particular characters than Force Sensitives in general.

One thing which has annoyed me tremendously was the Battle Meditation splurge. Initially, Bastila Shan was a really valuable character to the Republic because of her ability to use Battle Meditation. She turned the tide of entire engagements simply through the Force. Since then, more and more people have remarkably developed Battle Meditation, and numerous characters were ret-conned into having it. At this point, it's pretty much par for the course that a powerful commander or Sith Lord must have Battle Meditation.

Originally, it wasn't a "learned skill" but rather an innate power which could only be refined, not taught. I feel that pyrokinesis is similar in this respect.
In KotoR it seems like that. But way before the game was released, in Golden Age of the Sith series, Odan-Urr learned this ability by reading about it in ancient scrolls. And he was able to teach the ability to Memit Nadill just right before the Battle of Kirrek. I just read that comic series recently and was very disappointed to see how Battle Meditation can be easily learned.

And yes, Force lightning was trivialized, the explanation that Vader couldn't perform it because of cybernetics is very stupi, at least for me.

Ventessel's Avatar


Ventessel
04.14.2013 , 10:37 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
It's happening with pretty much everything, I feel. Force Lightning was originally a Palpatine only ability, now every Sith (even Jedi) use it.

Battle Meditation, I believe, is still an innate ability. Though it is odd that so many people have it. Satele Shan is understandable, considering that she's a descendant of Bastila.

Just something we have to go with I guess.
This is true. I could understand if Force Lightning were the pinnacle of Dark Side abilities, an awe-inspiring power that few Sith could ever master, but at this rate it appears to be the first thing anyone learns from the Dark Side. I thought that Force Choke was by far the more common ability because it was instinctive, and that Lightning required significant refinement and practice.

It is extremely aggravating that Battle Meditation is just another learned ability now, no more unique or interesting than Mind Trick.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

Canino's Avatar


Canino
04.14.2013 , 12:07 PM | #14
Very good read, as well as an interesting topic! I applaud you. I have one question though- is this a Jedi/lightside ability only? What I mean is, can a Sith use pyrokinesis? I'm just curious and found that in the post you only mentioned Jedi.

Off topic but- WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!???????!!!!!!!!!!!! I missed the Ti vs. Unduli battle!!!!!!!!!!! I love Ti (4th fav character, 1st force user) and was so excited about the battle. I got sick about all week from allergies and could barely breath, so I was sort of unable to use the computer. This sucks! I guess I'll support her the rest of the way.

/rant
STATEMENT: I'm just a simple assassin...I mean bodyguard, master. You have nothing to fear.
---------

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
04.14.2013 , 12:28 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Canino View Post
Very good read, as well as an interesting topic! I applaud you. I have one question though- is this a Jedi/lightside ability only? What I mean is, can a Sith use pyrokinesis? I'm just curious and found that in the post you only mentioned Jedi.
It is a universal ability. For the purpose of these threads (unless otherwise specified), Jedi is a universal term simply meaning Force user.

Also, the Nightsisters have a 'Spell of Fire,' implying that they too can use Pyrokinesis.


Quote:
Off topic but- WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!???????!!!!!!!!!!!! I missed the Ti vs. Unduli battle!!!!!!!!!!! I love Ti (4th fav character, 1st force user) and was so excited about the battle. I got sick about all week from allergies and could barely breath, so I was sort of unable to use the computer. This sucks! I guess I'll support her the rest of the way.

/rant
That's pretty rough. Sorry you were unable to participate.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
04.14.2013 , 12:30 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post
This is true. I could understand if Force Lightning were the pinnacle of Dark Side abilities, an awe-inspiring power that few Sith could ever master, but at this rate it appears to be the first thing anyone learns from the Dark Side. I thought that Force Choke was by far the more common ability because it was instinctive, and that Lightning required significant refinement and practice.

It is extremely aggravating that Battle Meditation is just another learned ability now, no more unique or interesting than Mind Trick.
I hear ya. I would have preferred Force Lightning to be an ability that only the most powerful could use, but now everyone uses it.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

interus's Avatar


interus
04.16.2013 , 02:45 PM | #17
slightly off topic, but how does everyone feel about "Thought Bombs" I always thought it would be a cool ability to use, though on a much much smaller scale than i was used in the past... just a thought
"The urge to kill one's superior is intrinsic to the nature of our enterprise. My unassailable strength gives rise to your envy; my wisdom fuels your desire, my achievements incite your craving. So it has been for 1,000 years, so it must endure till i have guided you to parity". ( Darth Plagueis to Darth Sidious)

Ventessel's Avatar


Ventessel
04.16.2013 , 03:24 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
I hear ya. I would have preferred Force Lightning to be an ability that only the most powerful could use, but now everyone uses it.
Yeah, I've found it's refreshing to play around with ideas in my fanfic for balancing out the relative powers of the Force with different Jedi, etc. Also watching the OT can be a nice break from how it seems like a lot of Star Wars games/stories these days are inundated with flashy, overtly powerful uses of the Force.

I always got the feeling in the movies that the Force was more invisible than visible. Luke using the Force to make his shot on the Death Star, or pull his lightsaber to him, or Darth Vader casually blocking Han's blaster shots.

It was shocking (heh, pun accidentally employed) to see Palpatine's raw application of the Force. Literally warping reality to his will and torturing Luke. I would really love to see that sense of mystery and unseen power restored to the Force in the new films.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
04.16.2013 , 04:22 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post
Yeah, I've found it's refreshing to play around with ideas in my fanfic for balancing out the relative powers of the Force with different Jedi, etc. Also watching the OT can be a nice break from how it seems like a lot of Star Wars games/stories these days are inundated with flashy, overtly powerful uses of the Force.

I always got the feeling in the movies that the Force was more invisible than visible. Luke using the Force to make his shot on the Death Star, or pull his lightsaber to him, or Darth Vader casually blocking Han's blaster shots.

It was shocking (heh, pun accidentally employed) to see Palpatine's raw application of the Force. Literally warping reality to his will and torturing Luke. I would really love to see that sense of mystery and unseen power restored to the Force in the new films.
I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
04.16.2013 , 05:56 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by interus View Post
slightly off topic, but how does everyone feel about "Thought Bombs" I always thought it would be a cool ability to use, though on a much much smaller scale than i was used in the past... just a thought
Well the Thought Bomb is a ritual that requires many Sith to accomplish, so I don't think it can be a 'personal use' ability. But I do believe there are similar abilities within the realm of Sith Magic, though these would most likely be rituals as well.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus