Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anaking Skywalker - unluckiest guy in the glaxy

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Anaking Skywalker - unluckiest guy in the glaxy

jovianus
04.22.2013 , 05:18 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
All tragic heroes are flawed. That's the point. Anakin couldn't have been this cool, collected and self-assured in the prequels. If he had been, then it would have been ridiculous for him to have fallen. It's why his son was similarly flawed in the OT and only after seeing where he was headed turned forever from evil (Dark Empire did not happen. ).
Luke's 'tempation' the dark side was anger over the cruelty of the Emperor and the suffering/death of his friends.

Anakin's was "Nobody appreciates how awesome I am!"

Yes I know it was supposed to be about saving Padme, but that aspect was vastly overshadowed by him sitting there getting petted like a dog by Palpatine while whining about how the Jedi weren't giving him enough respect.

Even the Padme thing doesn't work that well. He had no idea if the Jedi could save her or not because he was afraid to tell them about their relationship. So he won't risk being cast out of the Order to save Padme, but he'll burn the Order to the ground and slaughter his former friends and comrades to do it.

It would have been far better if he had come clean about it and been cast out, then turned to Palpatine. That would have been tragic, giving up everything to save her then ultimately falling into darkness.

Aurbere
04.22.2013 , 07:13 PM | #12
A rough life he leads. I think his character was fairly well done. Maybe a little whiny, but his faults are overplayed quite a bit, in my opinion.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Ventessel
04.23.2013 , 02:28 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
All tragic heroes are flawed. That's the point. Anakin couldn't have been this cool, collected and self-assured in the prequels. If he had been, then it would have been ridiculous for him to have fallen. It's why his son was similarly flawed in the OT and only after seeing where he was headed turned forever from evil (Dark Empire did not happen. ).
Well, see... it's the "hero" part which seems to be lacking. Sure, he's got awful luck and things go really badly, but it's pretty much all his fault. That is something you see in classic tragedy, but normally the hero has redeeming qualities and it's his one fatal flaw that undermines his best efforts to do good.

Anakin is chock full of flaws, but it appears that 'Ol Lucas forgot to give him any heroic characteristics. He's a great warrior... but then again, so was General Grievous. He's a superb pilot... but that's not really heroic, is it? He loves Padme... but then again, Hitler probably loved Eva Braun. Romantic entanglements don't qualify you as a hero, either.

So, ah... where is the heroism of Anakin? We see none of it in the films, which is kind of a big problem if the saga is, as Lucas claims, the "Tragedy of Darth Vader". In fact, we only see him begin to have some redeeming qualities in the later portions of the Clone Wars animated series, almost as though it was an afterthought and Lucas realized, "Oh no! I forgot to actually make the 'tragic hero' a hero! Better fix that somehow..."
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

ImmortalLowlife
04.23.2013 , 07:24 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post
Well, see... it's the "hero" part which seems to be lacking. Sure, he's got awful luck and things go really badly, but it's pretty much all his fault. That is something you see in classic tragedy, but normally the hero has redeeming qualities and it's his one fatal flaw that undermines his best efforts to do good.

Anakin is chock full of flaws, but it appears that 'Ol Lucas forgot to give him any heroic characteristics. He's a great warrior... but then again, so was General Grievous. He's a superb pilot... but that's not really heroic, is it? He loves Padme... but then again, Hitler probably loved Eva Braun. Romantic entanglements don't qualify you as a hero, either.

So, ah... where is the heroism of Anakin? We see none of it in the films, which is kind of a big problem if the saga is, as Lucas claims, the "Tragedy of Darth Vader". In fact, we only see him begin to have some redeeming qualities in the later portions of the Clone Wars animated series, almost as though it was an afterthought and Lucas realized, "Oh no! I forgot to actually make the 'tragic hero' a hero! Better fix that somehow..."
I was thinking this too, Anakin was much better portrayed in the clone wars animated series. We saw a hero with flaws.....
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

And you already know...Click HERE for free stuff!!!