Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

In my mind, the romancable companions today were originally written heterosexual, and rewriting them as "Bisexual" makes no sense, unless they explain it away as the trope "If it's you, it's okay" which makes it worse for me.

they never said that. there is only a statement that they made is that they already know which companions will be available for that and that there will be 'aditiional companion options' when there will eventually be more content.

everything else is interpretation. so both claims - that it will be new companions .and. that it will be old companions - is speculation/wishful thinking.

also, nobody is saying they want the exact same lines for the companions. my gunslinger sure as hell ALREADY gets treated differently by corso than my scoundrel was at this point in the story (nar shaddaa - long before corso atually starts 'hinting' romantic feelings for a female smuggler)

edit: ok I just realised I should clarify this more

what I mean is basically they said that they have characters in mind to have this, and they also said that it 'just didn't make the cut', which might as well be interpreted as 'we wanted all these characters from the start but only had enough time to do one romance arc' (why for whatever reason that HAD to be the heterosexual one is a whole other can of worms)

we all know this by now that this is content that was 'always planned' and 'just didn't make it in time'.

only making it available for higher lvl is like introducing a new class only for lvl 50+ or only letting people get new sparkle powder colours when they are lvl 50... it's silly. it might be a little 'wrong' for the 'feel' of characters that are already 50 because you potentially missed out on romance options (which is why higher lvl chars should have the option to 'undo' these conversations)

all of this should be easily doable, same as you can easy completely change your skill trees. (or rather how they used to refund skill poins when there were major changes done to classes)

Edited by amnie

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my mind, the romancable companions today were originally written heterosexual, and rewriting them as "Bisexual" makes no sense, unless they explain it away as the trope "If it's you, it's okay" which makes it worse for me.

Well, I don't see why there should be any kind of explanation.

Suddenly, Vette seems to be into guys. Just like that, out of the blue. It's not explained. And it's not required. Her romance with my Sith worked really well.

I see no reason whatsoever why there should be an explanation for her liking women in a different playthrough

they never said that. there is only a statement that they made is that they already know which companions will be available for that and that there will be 'aditiional companion options' when there will eventually be more content.

everything else is interpretation. so both claims - that it will be new companions .and. that it will be old companions - is speculation/wishful thinking.

also, nobody is saying they want the exact same lines for the companions. my gunslinger sure as hell ALREADY gets treated differently by corso than my scoundrel was at this point in the story (nar shaddaa - long before corso atually starts 'hinting' romantic feelings for a female smuggler)

edit: ok I just realised I should clarify this more

what I mean is basically they said that they have characters in mind to have this, and they also said that it 'just didn't make the cut', which might as well be interpreted as 'we wanted all these characters from the start but only had enough time to do one romance arc' (why for whatever reason that HAD to be the heterosexual one is a whole other can of worms)

we all know this by now that this is content that was 'always planned' and 'just didn't make it in time'.

only making it available for higher lvl is like introducing a new class only for lvl 50+ or only letting people get new sparkle powder colours when they are lvl 50... it's silly. it might be a little 'wrong' for the 'feel' of characters that are already 50 because you potentially missed out on romance options (which is why higher lvl chars should have the option to 'undo' these conversations)

all of this should be easily doable, same as you can easy completely change your skill trees. (or rather how they used to refund skill poins when there were major changes done to classes)

What if there were bi companions planned already that were cut, not current companions that are bi, and the arcs got cut.

Kira Carsen: I don't know about you, but she seems clearly straight to me

Kaliyo: Doesn't she talk about ex boyfriends

Elara: Just my opinion, but she should not be a romance at all.

Just to name a few. Adding a non-companion full romance would be nice.

What if there were bi companions planned already that were cut, not current companions that are bi, and the arcs got cut.

I don't know about you but none of the companions 'strive' me as .any. sexual orientation. they are vastly different. your 'feelings' are probably based on 'real life experience' or ... well.. stereotypes.

and I'm not gonna spoil any currently in-game stories for you, but let's just say that at least one of the ladies you mentioned IS bisexual.

also, I don't think this is all about 'they are all bi'.

it might also be that some of the companions who are not romancable right now are actually exclusively gay. and all I can say to that is still the same as always... my gunslinger has a crush on corso, and if corso never developes a liking for guys they better add a super awesome way amazing sweep me off my feet male/male romance option for the smuggler or my little baby will have his heart forever broken.

Edited by amnie

There's a difference between "written as heterosexual" and "being exclusive to opposite-gender PCs".

She doesn't seem like anything to me considering I play a female. The only way you'd know anything about her sexuality is play a dude and initiate the romance with her...beyond that, nothing about her character is defined as heterosexual. That has more to do with romance exclusivity and the lack of SGRA's though.

Yeah, but she still could like women as well.

Edited by stuffystuffs

I don't know. Kira does strike me as at least curious in that regard.

Kaliyo is a bit too much like Jack from ME... and I was VERY surprised that Jack wasn't bi.

Not sure about Elara... been a while since I played and I guess she didn't strike me as that interesting at the time

EDIT: Although in ME3, Jack does also make some comments that show that she is decidedly bi, but probably wasn't that interested in FemShep..

Edited by Ellianshia

. my gunslinger has a crush on corso, and if corso never developes a liking for guys they better add a super awesome way amazing sweep me off my feet male/male romance option for the smuggler or my little baby will have his heart forever broken.
I totally agree. Corso was made for this, I hope he knows that deep down inside. :rolleyes:

I don't know. Kira does strike me as at least curious in that regard.

Kira strikes me as being Kira and, therefore, willing to pursue whatever it is she wants irrespective of whether people like it or not.

Kaliyo is a bit too much like Jack from ME... and I was VERY surprised that Jack wasn't bi.

From what I hear she was bi, but they never wrote any LI content for female Shepards.

Not sure about Elara... been a while since I played and I guess she didn't strike me as that interesting at the time

Unfamiliar with her.

EDIT: Although in ME3, Jack does also make some comments that show that she is decidedly bi, but probably wasn't that interested in FemShep..

Or they felt they had enough lesbian LIs.

Edited by Kioma

There's a difference between "written as heterosexual" and "being exclusive to opposite-gender PCs".

She doesn't seem like anything to me considering I play a female. The only way you'd know anything about her sexuality is play a dude and initiate the romance with her...beyond that, nothing about her character is defined as heterosexual. That has more to do with romance exclusivity and the lack of SGRA's though.

Yeah, but she still could like women as well.

Just because Kaliyo may like women, does not mean she is interested in the female PC. Like jack from Mass Effect 2, Bisexual, but is only attracted to a male PC.

in the end, maybe a former romance option (in future class quests) could be added and if in a romance, they could say "sorry, but your 'buddy' would not like that idea" or something when you flirt with him/her.

once again, Kira in my opinion is romantically straight, and making her bi seems more "If it's you, it's okay" than her being bi from the start, and having her bisexuality cut.

that whole "if it's you, it's okay" thing is my opinion, as is I would rather have a non-comp romance full option, not a mere flirt, someone you bump into or work with regularly but they are not on your crew.

Edited by stormdrakelord

Honestly, if they don't make SGRAs available for pre-50s I'm going to be very annoyed. And a lot of people are going to be enormously disappointed, I think, if they don't make at least some existing companions SGRA-capable.

I don't even see it as being a rewrite of the character, not at all. It's like, say, Corellia: there's a HEAP of Corellia we've never seen, has never been mapped, isn't in the game. If they suddenly put it in it's not like that section of Corellia never existed and they've 'rewritten an entire planet'. It's just an expansion of what already exists. People seem to think that doing the same thing with characters is verboten, as if the areas are in an MMO and the characters aren't. It's all MMO content in the one game.

If they had a character that was very specifically and explicitly written as being attracted to one particular gender, and then changed that character with a silly half-baked context to be bi, that would be a totally different matter. But I don't believe (though I might be wrong) that a single companion is explicitly stated to be straight.

Edited by Kioma

Honestly, if they don't make SGRAs available for pre-50s I'm going to be very annoyed. And a lot of people are going to be enormously disappointed, I think, if they don't make at least some existing companions SGRA-capable.

I don't even see it as being a rewrite of the character, not at all. It's like, say, Corellia: there's a HEAP of Corellia we've never seen, has never been mapped, isn't in the game. If they suddenly put it in it's not like that section of Corellia never existed and they've 'rewritten an entire planet'. It's just an expansion of what already exists. People seem to think that doing the same thing with characters is verboten, as if the areas are in an MMO and the characters aren't. It's all MMO content in the one game.

If they had a character that was very specifically and explicitly written as being attracted to one particular gender, and then changed that character with a silly half-baked context to be bi, that would be a totally different matter. But I don't believe (though I might be wrong) that a single companion is explicitly stated to be straight.

it was just my perception of them (except Kaliyo) and since it is not stated one way or the other (outside of articles), my view of them is that them being available for S/S romance would make it seem more like that trope I posted a while back (If it's you, It's okay).

Edited by stormdrakelord

it was just my perception of them (except Kaliyo) and since it is not stated one way or the other (outside of articles), my view of them is that them being available for S/S romance would make more of that trope I posted a while back (If it's you, It's okay).

I really don't see it as being that trope unless they write it in as that trope - which, really, I seriously doubt they'd do.

I really don't see it as being that trope unless they write it in as that trope - which, really, I seriously doubt they'd do.

still I would rather see new companions or a non-comp full romance, instead of having companions, who romances feel more straight to me due to lack of any F/F or M/M indications for most, 'suddenly' turn bi with no explanation.

plus it seems like too much work to do such a thing, unless the code is in the game and just turned off.

Edited by stormdrakelord

still I would rather see new companions or a non-comp full romance.

A non-companion full romance would be intriguing. I'm sure they'll have new companions to add that'll be SGRA-capable too (actually I feel that's probably one of the reasons it's taking so long), but like I said, a lot of people are going to dislike it if they don't SGRA up at least some of the original companions. Lots of people have come to like (and hate) those companions, which is a testament to the writers.

Granted, it's not Edmonton, but I get the feeling they'll play the "They're not bisexual in the same play-through"/'Hero-sexual' hand-wave like with DA2.

If they add SGRA and don't add the option for the existing companions it would be a complete failure in my eyes. As far as "oh this character is definitely hetero only" Well we don't know that at all. There are definitely only Hetero options in the game but that doesn't mean these characters wouldn't also be interested in same gender relationships. There simply isn't an option to do so.

No, before they go adding new characters and new romance options (which will only make creating future companion content more difficult/time consuming) they need to finish the ones they have first.

instead of having companions, who romances feel more straight to me due to lack of any F/F or M/M indications for most, 'suddenly' turn bi with no explanation.

Surely you see the quandry there, though. 'There's no same sex indications, therefore everyone is straight.' The SGRAs aren't in yet, so the option of there being same sex indications is by definition precluded.

Plus gaydars aren't real. There are plenty of gay, bi and straight people out there that most would never pick as being those sexualities.

plus it seems like too much work to do such a thing, unless the code is in the game and just turned off.

Well, see, that's something a lot of os would like to know (and something Bioware is, obviously, not telling us) - whether there's any included but not activated SGRA content. I personally doubt it because this game must have been data-mined to all get-out and someone would have found it by now. That doesn't mean they don't have it, of course - it could be sitting somewhere on a hard drive gathering digital dust, and simply not be plugged into the game client yet.

Granted, it's not Edmonton, but I get the feeling they'll play the "They're not bisexual in the same play-through"/'Hero-sexual' hand-wave like with DA2.

They already are hero sexual. Kira for example will fall for any JK (male only obviously atm) regardless of race or even for that matter regardless of species, regardless of alignment or personality or any other characteristic that makes up the male JK so long as they click the right dialogue options.

The fact that the only factor that possibly makes a romanceable companion NOT want to romance you is gender is rather idiotic.

still I would rather see new companions or a non-comp full romance, instead of having companions, who romances feel more straight to me due to lack of any F/F or M/M indications for most, 'suddenly' turn bi with no explanation.

but it isn't 'suddenly', that's the point. this is all content that should have been in the game from the start. right now however it's all in our heads - same as YOUR perseption of the characters (which many, many people disagree with - and some with actual in-game proof I might add)

the romance 'feels straight' because that's what it is. right now there is no way to figure out how a romance with a female smuggler and risha would be like because said female smuggler does not have the option to flirt with her.

maybe another example:

a male warrior will get the option to flirt with light side jaesa. light side jaesa however tells him that she is not like that. you do not have a chance to romance her. dark side jaesa though you can.

so, who knows, maybe light side jaesa was supposed to be a lesbian. we do not know. (the only theory is that she says know because of the jedi in her)

we do not know if risha wouldn't be head over heals for the female smuggler because the female smugger does not get the option, but risha DOES flirt with the female smuggler.

long story short: it is really not all that much about the 'new romance options'... they might as well already be 'hidden' in the game already... we just don't get the [flirt] prompt to trigger them. so the real issue here is not just that there are no romance options for same sex, but that you can't even get a 'no thank you' because you can't even tell a same sex npc that you like them to begin with

They already are hero sexual. Kira for example will fall for any JK (male only obviously atm) regardless of race or even for that matter regardless of species, regardless of alignment or personality or any other characteristic that makes up the male JK so long as they click the right dialogue options.

The fact that the only factor that possibly makes a romanceable companion NOT want to romance you is gender is rather idiotic.

and there we are, at the actual point:

we don't know if they are straight because there is no dialoge option to trigger a same sex relationship (may it be fruitful or not, the option is not even available.)

I personally wouldn't mind if they gave my male warrior the option to flirt with pierce and pierce saying 'sir this is not professional' and that would be the end of it. (or quinn, as I'd much rather kick quinn out of my ship lock anyway)

Edited by amnie

and there we are, at the actual point:

we don't know if they are straight because there is no dialoge option to trigger a same sex relationship (may it be fruitful or not, the option is not even available.)

I personally wouldn't mind if they gave my male warrior the option to flirt with pierce and pierce saying 'sir this is not professional' and that would be the end of it. (or quinn, as I'd much rather kick quinn out of my ship lock anyway)

in the end, companions were released with hetero romances, which without indication of them being interested in women at all in-game before them being chosen for S/S romance, makes them "straight with an exception/If it's you, it's okay". I would rather they keep them that way, only for O/S romance.

Edited by stormdrakelord

in the end, companions were released with hetero romances, which without indication of them being interested in women at all in-game before them being chosen for S/S romance, makes them "straight with an exception/If it's you, it's okay". I would rather they keep them that way, only for O/S romance.

How go you know they aren't gay with an exception of being straight "if its you"?

No, again, I think that's you reading quite a bit more into it than is there. I mean it's your perception so you can do that, sure, but I still don't agree. The context of the additional content (if any is put in) is set by the writers, not by us or our preconceptions.

Indeed.

Hell, Kira will romance a pureblood Sith male given the Legacy system