What I see as one of the major issues not being adressed enough

Let em start by saying I like the new content.

IMO the problem I see is that most fights (not all) favor range DPS too much and in some cases put really strong barriers in place for melee classes. I am not saying that the content can not be done with melee as clearly it can and has been done by myself and others in my guild but I can tell you IMO there is a balance issue for boss fights.

my 2 cents

Edited by khreed

This has been a known issue since the start. Just about every boss fight heavily favors ranged because so many bosses have close ranged AoE attacks, so it's just better to bring ranged to avoid the damage and save on healing. Let alone the fact that melee have pretty much no extra survivability compared to a range since everyone gets the same health (outside tanks) and enemies hit so hard a little extra armor accounts for nothing (providing your not getting hit with the abundant elemental/force damage already).

The new content just took this idea of punishing melee and took it further. I've yet to get past the droid boss in the new FP on HM, simply because my presence as a melee makes the ENTIRE fight mechanics change from having the tank do their job in the middle, to having to ATTEMPT to kite the thing through lava and avoid it's plasma arcs simply because someone didn't roll a ranged DPS.

What's more saddening is this was an issue since before 1.2 and something people vocalized, the response from BW in 1.2? Make things even more one sided when choosing between your melee or ranged DPS.

With luck BW will wise up and finally listen to the customers and realize that hey, some fights really ARE pretty well unfair merely because you bring a melee or 2.

You have raid buffs/debuffs and everyone has personal cooldowns there are many ways to mitigate the damage you just need to think about your raid composition and startegy It's not like EV/KP where you can just come in and face roll all the content.

It's good and challenging now the way it should have been.

I don't think it's the challenge people are complaining of, just the fact that melee are punished for being melee, while ranged isn't ever really punished for being range. Of course, you can work around it, but the fact is, you can just have 6 guys in a pile while the tanks position the mobs, and avoid a lot of the issues. Toth and Zorn are a good example of this, as is the first LI boss.

You have raid buffs/debuffs and everyone has personal cooldowns there are many ways to mitigate the damage you just need to think about your raid composition and startegy It's not like EV/KP where you can just come in and face roll all the content.

It's good and challenging now the way it should have been.

When you see posts like this, is there almost a visceral sense of rabid delight at the chance to basically tell people to l2p and imply your own superiority? Certainly you don't seem to let actually reading the original post get in your way.

The problem is the disparity in difficulty between melee DPS and ranged DPS. This is not good design. Difficulty as a whole should be about punishing people for bad play, not for their class choice.

When you see posts like this, is there almost a visceral sense of rabid delight at the chance to basically tell people to l2p and imply your own superiority? Certainly you don't seem to let actually reading the original post get in your way.

The problem is the disparity in difficulty between melee DPS and ranged DPS. This is not good design. Difficulty as a whole should be about punishing people for bad play, not for their class choice.

Nightmare Pylons, SoA, Jarg & Sorno, Foreman Crusher and Karagga required little movement from melee majority of the time they could sit there and DPS balls to wall, and now melee is having a whinge because they've made some slight mechanical changes to HM Lost Island and Explosive Conflict.

I'm not telling anyone to L2P at all from what I've seen and from what the melee players I've played with said there's no real issues here.

This has been a known issue since the start. Just about every boss fight heavily favors ranged because so many bosses have close ranged AoE attacks, so it's just better to bring ranged to avoid the damage and save on healing.

The only exception that I know of is the new event world boss on Tatooine, the infected bantha, that has 75% resistance to ranged. And even he has a closerange AOE.

I'm not telling anyone to L2P at all from what I've seen and from what the melee players I've played with said there's no real issues here.

I wouldnt say there are big issues, just that theres favoritism among the devs.

Edited by Karkais

alot of mmo's have raid/group boss content that favor range dps over melee. this one is no different. the mechanics used almost always favor range unless they are specificly designed not too.

dont blame bioware as it is how things are being done mechanic wise now and in the past. you have bosses that have to be kited, blink all over or cant be taunted so they pop from dps to dps. melee have a hard time with any of these. there are even other more complicated mechanics that dont favor anyone even near the boss for certain periods of time: ie they have to joust.

i'm not sure what mmos some of you came from but this shouldnt be something new to you. even vanilla wow had this. bioware is doing nothing new here.

alot of mmo's have raid/group boss content that favor range dps over melee. this one is no different. the mechanics used almost always favor range unless they are specificly designed not too.

dont blame bioware as it is how things are being done mechanic wise now and in the past. you have bosses that have to be kited, blink all over or cant be taunted so they pop from dps to dps. melee have a hard time with any of these. there are even other more complicated mechanics that dont favor anyone even near the boss for certain periods of time: ie they have to joust.

i'm not sure what mmos some of you came from but this shouldnt be something new to you. even vanilla wow had this. bioware is doing nothing new here.

This, i played a DK and Mage as my main raiding dps toons, and i can tell you that melee always had the short end of the stick. Always having to run around move out of bad, or chase after the boss cause the tank had to kite. While on my mage on the same fights, i could just stand there and pew pew.

Nightmare Pylons, SoA, Jarg & Sorno, Foreman Crusher and Karagga required little movement from melee majority of the time they could sit there and DPS balls to wall, and now melee is having a whinge because they've made some slight mechanical changes to HM Lost Island and Explosive Conflict.

Nightmare Pylans requires melee to have to move around to do their job (i.e. hit thier button then get to their mob, not that its hard at all but still range has do do NOTHING) SOA requires melee to run to the balls to pop then go dps which can be literally across the room, as well as run to DPS mind traps where again RDPS has do do NOTHING. JARG & SORNO require the melee to get out of the AOE fire spin attack where again LOL RDPS have to do nothing, Forman Crusher(not sure how you do it but we make everyone else move away from his target to avoid the swipe that way the target doesn't spin him into others) but again movement where RDPS has to do NOTHING.

Karaga might be one of the few fights where there is decent balance...

If you would have read the OP i made though it isn't the challange its the balance, I like the new content and have beat it all but facts are that there is a clear advantage to having RDPS (in general) over MDPS in almost EVERY SINGLE BOSS FIGHT.

If that is hard to see because you have beat the content then you are clearly not the one coming up with the strategy and tactics in your groups. As the one that generally comes up with strats and tactics its clear as day that balance is needed.

Ranged everything has the advantage. I'm usually willing to listen to both sides of an argument but those who say "if you think its harder to play melee then u need to L2 play" are just plain wrong or just dont want their ranged classes nerfed.

Even vanguard/powertech tanks hav the advantage. As a guardian if i want area threat i have to leave the thing im hitting, go into the middle of the room, and activate challening call. As a ranged tank i dont usually have to move at all.

This is also true in pvp. As a healer I find it easier to use my 4m range "dirty kick" stun or 10m "flash grenade" cc on melee players up close than on ranged players who i cant reach.

Also as a healer it is easier to heal my gunslingers and commandos than it is my sentinels shadows and guardians.

edit: also i should mention that as a healer melee goes out of heal range way more often, so to you melees out there please make sure you stay within range when fighting something.

Edited by jonmcooper