Roadmap

dewayne

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are we getting anytime soon?

I think we'll be getting one sometime soon. I doubt whether it will be released by the end of January, but I bet we'll see one in February. After all, we're due for one and it would be nice to have some transparency as to what will be happening with the game in 2019.

I think we'll be getting one sometime soon. I doubt whether it will be released by the end of January, but I bet we'll see one in February. After all, we're due for one and it would be nice to have some transparency as to what will be happening with the game in 2019.

Yeah, it's probably all hands on deck for that bug fix coming out in February. Hopefully after that we'll hear more.

Yeah, it's probably all hands on deck for that bug fix coming out in February. Hopefully after that we'll hear more.

I doubt you will see that before march. Anthem releases Feb 22 and they are busy with that. Musco hasnt bothered to say anything about bug fixes in quite a while.

Swtor's 2019 could be very different based on Anthem's hit or miss. A roadmap now would be premature.

I'm curious...why do you think SWTOR's development hinges on Anthem? SWTOR is already operating a skeleton crew...whether they work from Austin or any other EA branch, doesn't really matter. If Anthem is a success, Bioware/EA invest the profits into Anthem, not SWTOR. If Anthem fails, they move development of SWTOR to some other out of the way studio. I don't see how a roadmap is premature...

I was under the impression that Roadmaps had been cancelled because they interfered with Keith's nap time.

They were to be replaced with more frequent and better use of the forums allowing for updates to be made regularly on new content and things the team was working on.

So in that respect if we are to take the lack of any communication, it can be inferred the only thing being worked on is the new operation style boss on the PTS. After a year focusing on Gods of the Machine and then sole testing on Gods of the Machine master mode, ignoring the bugs in gear, companions etc (my Knight still can't use his influence 50 Lord Scourge) Keith is doubling down on the future being more operation style content.

I'm curious...why do you think SWTOR's development hinges on Anthem? SWTOR is already operating a skeleton crew...whether they work from Austin or any other EA branch, doesn't really matter. If Anthem is a success, Bioware/EA invest the profits into Anthem, not SWTOR. If Anthem fails, they move development of SWTOR to some other out of the way studio. I don't see how a roadmap is premature...

Right. I don't know why people think Anthem has any correlation to SWTOR regarding funding. There's no proof whatsoever that BW will focus on SWTOR more just because Anthem is out.

I would assume the same dev team that's on Anthem will remain there as it progresses. It's going to drop with bugs like all new MMOs do, it will need content over time, that dev team isn't going to just stop working on Anthem and switch over to SWTOR once Anthem drops.

It's been explained that the early SWTOR devs were dropped years ago, even before Anthem began development. The resources were allotted to each project ages ago.

I think the only thing you can hope for is that EA pushes BW to focus on SWTOR, and the only way that is happening is if they get the notion SWTOR would be a worthwhile investment.

This petition we have that's in my sig link might be the best shot at helping SWTOR imo. Otherwise, nothing is going to change for SWTOR, it will continue to get minimal attention by BW.

From what I can tell, BW the studio have made it quite clear they do not want to put much focus on SWTOR. They are more interested in pushing out Anthem.

If Anthem flops/crashes/burns BW could easily get shut down or funding resources cut off. If it doesn't BW could have some money to throw at trying to capitalize on Ep IX hype. SWTOR probably isn't a studio making/breaking game anymore but another xpac with Ep IX (damaged IP but still a big event) is almost a guaranteed ROI. I'm no industry insider/expert, could easily be wrong, that's just how my reasoning sees it at the moment.

It seems our devs are busy working on other things right now so to help them out i post this here, i hope i don't reveal anything too soon! Roadmap 2019 here we go!

• Hive of the mountain queen coming out soon!
  • We know we said we wouldn't..but we will release Gods from the machine even in harder mode! Try your skills on the new Ultra Ridiculous Nightmare Ballcrush -mode. Not because of Keith asked (we haven't even seen him since office christmas party!) and definately not because Matt is the only one working in swtor nowadays! Coming on April or later. Probably later.
  • At summertime the amazing thing everyone has been waiting for, making this the most exiting year for SWTOR ever! Downloadable for your mobile phone, new app "Major Anri's gardening adventure" you can grow flowers with Major Anri. Fertilizers, extra skins for watering cans and bug repellents sold separately.
  • At autumn we will release long asked feature and add repeatable alliance alerts to kill all companions! Get them one by one or combine alerts to one big massacre! They will never see it coming before it's too late! "Commander, i called you here beca..."(((WHACK!!!))) (disclaimer: doing the alert will kill these companions for everyone not just for player)
  • To balance this we will add new repeatable alliance alerts to resurrect companions killed by other players. Doing these alerts will return them to all players not just for you. Untill someone does the kill alert again, be ready!
  • New cartel market items coming up all trough the year! Just to sample few, Major Anri's watering can mini pet, Major Anri's gardeners outfit, Tau Idair's outfit (warning, this will hang badly on bodytype 1), Gnost-Dural coloring book (dyes sold separately), Darth Malgus's box mount... plus other amazing items you can't even imagine yet!
  • During the year we will also add many new romance options, just to mention few: that hot stims vendor at Coruscant, shipdroid, Nem'ro...

My concern (sorry Yill, I know you disagree with me on this! :D) is pretty mundane and basic...

It boils down to the most basic of brass tacks related to facilities management. Let me start with a couple of assumptions <<oh good, it's late enough I can have a martini>>.

Assumption #1: Bioware as a company is staking a lot on Anthem. Call it the flagship, the mothership, the tentpole, whatever.

Assumption #2: SWTOR is a niche group within the actual facility at BW Austin. I'm assuming the staff share the same common areas, the same janitorial staff / maintenance crew, mail room, cafeteria. They may share the same support staff too ; i.e., secretaries. The electrical costs are shared as well.

If Anthem really, really bombs, EA may legitimately ask whether or not it pays to even keep the lights on at BW Austin. Even if SWTOR itself is marginally profitable, I can easily see EA cutting its losses and shuttering the whole facility.

Then the question becomes one of fungibility of assets. Can SWTOR be absorbed somewhere else within the EA kingdom? That's a question I don't know the answer to.

The good news is my prediction that Anthem will do well enough to keep the lights on, though I personally think they have made some bad design decisions like over-emphasis on javelins, no real end-game for solo play, etc.. My limited experience is that the gameplay is smooth (if redundant), but that it is a bit soulless.

<<oh hell that was long enough I deserve another sip>> :rak_04:

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

If Anthem flops/crashes/burns BW could easily get shut down or funding resources cut off. If it doesn't BW could have some money to throw at trying to capitalize on Ep IX hype. SWTOR probably isn't a studio making/breaking game anymore but another xpac with Ep IX (damaged IP but still a big event) is almost a guaranteed ROI. I'm no industry insider/expert, could easily be wrong, that's just how my reasoning sees it at the moment.

Star Wars is hardly a "damaged IP." New movie in December, two FULL THEME PARKS in summer/fall, new LIVE-ACTION TV show in progress, one animated show currently out, another being brought back, plus a full LINE of comics from Marvel... hardly "damaged."

If Star Wars could survive the prequels (it CLEARLY did), it will certainly survive a vocal minority hating on Episode 8.

If Star Wars could survive the prequels (it CLEARLY did), it will certainly survive a vocal minority hating on Episode 8.

Ep 8 made the prequels look like solid story telling. Even Solo made the prequels look good.

Star Wars will live on for sure, but the brand has been damaged imo. Ep 8 was an utterly terrible story and Solo was only marginally better imo. I never thought I'd yearn for the day that Lucas was writing Star Wars movies again, but I am...

Dasty - I understand what you're saying, but SWTOR could literally be kept alive out of any EA branch. Austin, and the Austin crew, are very expendable...minus Matt...

Edited by TUXs

My concern (sorry Yill, I know you disagree with me on this! :D) is pretty mundane and basic...

It boils down to the most basic of brass tacks related to facilities management. Let me start with a couple of assumptions <<oh good, it's late enough I can have a martini>>.

Assumption #1: Bioware as a company is staking a lot on Anthem. Call it the flagship, the mothership, the tentpole, whatever.

massive snip

<<oh hell that was long enough I deserve another sip>> :rak_04:

Dasty

I call it the big kahuna.

you were so right on it I think you deserve a whole glass, not just another sip.:D

It seems our devs are busy working on other things right now so to help them out i post this here, i hope i don't reveal anything too soon! Roadmap 2019 here we go!

• We know we said we wouldn't..but we will release Gods from the machine even in harder mode! Try your skills on the new Ultra Ridiculous Nightmare Ballcrush -mode. Not because of Keith asked (we haven't even seen him since office christmas party!) and definately not because Matt is the only one working in swtor nowadays! Coming on April or later. Probably later.
  • At summertime the amazing thing everyone has been waiting for, making this the most exiting year for SWTOR ever! Downloadable for your mobile phone, new app "Major Anri's gardening adventure" you can grow flowers with Major Anri. Fertilizers, extra skins for watering cans and bug repellents sold separately.
  • At autumn we will release long asked feature and add repeatable alliance alerts to kill all companions! Get them one by one or combine alerts to one big massacre! They will never see it coming before it's too late! "Commander, i called you here beca..."(((WHACK!!!))) (disclaimer: doing the alert will kill these companions for everyone not just for player)
  • To balance this we will add new repeatable alliance alerts to resurrect companions killed by other players. Doing these alerts will return them to all players not just for you. Untill someone does the kill alert again, be ready!
  • New cartel market items coming up all trough the year! Just to sample few, Major Anri's watering can mini pet, Major Anri's gardeners outfit, Tau Idair's outfit (warning, this will hang badly on bodytype 1), Gnost-Dural coloring book (dyes sold separately), Darth Malgus's box mount... plus other amazing items you can't even imagine yet!
  • During the year we will also add many new romance options, just to mention few: that hot stims vendor at Coruscant, shipdroid, Nem'ro...

Okay, that was funny. :D

Star Wars is hardly a "damaged IP." New movie in December, two FULL THEME PARKS in summer/fall, new LIVE-ACTION TV show in progress, one animated show currently out, another being brought back, plus a full LINE of comics from Marvel... hardly "damaged."

Several movies and a game or two have been canceled since Ep 8 and the Solo flop. The IP isn't going anywhere but it definitely took a major hit. The theme parks were started before Ep 8 was released and Ep IX was going to happen no matter what.

Ep 8 has less than a 50% user rating on rotten tomatoes - what's your definition of "vocal minority"?

Edited by Savej

Nice try...but this is far more content than we'll actually get ;)

I'm actually hoping that Casey Hudson was right that 2019 will be a good year for SWTOR, but this was absolutely hilarious. And I would totally buy "Major Anri's Gardening Adventure" and the watering can mini-pet! :)

I think you only missed 2 things.

Obligatory recap on how amazing last year was, with so much new content and events!

Apology for lack of communication, due to January being a busy month with meetings but more communication will be coming sometime!

On the plus side Anthem just posted its Roadmap for the post launch future.

From a business perspective, if a game doesn't do well for a company, the same company that also makes this game, it reflects poorly on the studio and branches of said studio. Many of SWTOR's devs were pulled off this project to focus on Anthem. While they are certainly back to work for a few months now as Anthem is in post production and ready to ship out. If the game they worked on doesn't do well, funding will be cut on said studio and other studios, thus reflecting less dedication to the game. All in all, the game hasn't been doing well as is and the radio silence from the devs (Getting updates every few months, little to no communication, patches not fixing hot issues) doesn't bode well.

I'm not a naysayer so try not to brand me as one here, I've stepped back from the game for a long while and have looked at it from a detached view. If Anthem does poorly, don't expect SWTOR to somehow get a ton of new and exciting content. It just won't happen, the higher ups at EA will most likely cut studio sizes to cut costs and or shut down branches of the studio entirely, remember Bioware has about 2-3? Studios I believe correct me if I'm wrong. If they can't afford to keep the lights on at a studio you can expect there to be consolidation inside a studio and thus people moved around to other projects. Anyway, sorry for long winded answer I'm just trying to look at this realistically.

Edited by spectreclees

Ep 8 has less than a 50% user rating on rotten tomatoes - what's your definition of "vocal minority"?

Math.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_last_jedi

All critics 204,091

Rating 45% liked it.

Means 91,840 didnt of the viewers who logged onto the site reviewed it.

Movie grosses more than $1,332,539,889

Means guessing at $15 a ticket on average around the world, thats 88,835,992 people saw the movie.

Of the ones who didnt like the movie, who logged onto the Rotten Tomatoes site, that is only 91,840/88.835.992...which is less than one-tenth of one percent.

Thats pretty much a vocal minority. And that is all we have to work with, unless every ticket holder was allowed to review, which it wasnt. So, yes...very,vocal minority.