Slavery in Star Wars

schmel

(Note: this is not a discussion about the morality of slavery--please don't turn it into one.) I was watching some old episodes from season four of The Clone Wars series and they got me thinking: why do they have slaves at all in the star wars universe? In those episodes, they depict the slaves doing things like digging and lifting heavy objects--things that could be done more easily and cheaply by droids. The only case where I could understand (but OBVIOUSLY NOT CONDONE) slavery is with female (or male, I suppose) slaves who were enslaved for their sex appeal--something that a droid could not necessarily replicate. Slavery is everywhere in Star Wars--from Chewbacca to Ackbar to Anakin--but it just doesn't seem to make sense. Can anyone help me out here? Edited by schmel

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Note: this is not a discussion about the morality of slavery--please don't turn it into one.) I was watching some old episodes from season four of The Clone Wars series and they got me thinking: why do they have slaves at all in the star wars universe? In those episodes, they depict the slaves doing things like digging and lifting heavy objects--things that could be done more easily and cheaply by droids. The only case where I could understand (but OBVIOUSLY NOT CONDONE) slavery is with female (or male, I suppose) slaves who were enslaved for their sex appeal--something that a droid could not necessarily replicate. Slavery is everywhere in Star Wars--from Chewbacca to Ackbar to Anakin--but it just doesn't seem to make sense. Can anyone help me out here?

Its free the people already exist you dont have to spend money to build droids and truthfully biological being can be more reliable in a way, they will try to keep themselves alive meaning less of them get killed doing a task and many of them are more compitent then droids. Anakin is an especially good example as he even at a young age was a great pilot and skill mechanic, chewie has superhuman strength the likes of which would expensive to replicate in a droid.

The only case where I could understand (but OBVIOUSLY NOT CONDONE) slavery is with female (or male, I suppose) slaves who were enslaved for their sex appeal--something that a droid could not necessarily replicate.

Syntheflesh does exist in Star Wars, so technically Droids could be designed for sexual purposes. And heck the Clone Wars does have some droids that were obviously designed with sex appeal in mind. Additionally by the time of Shadows of the Empire (the book set inbetween the Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith) there was actually a biotech droid that was half-machine, half-organic. So it is not too far of a stretch at that point to make droids that are capable of fulfilling the role that female (and in some cases male) slaves fulfill.

Slaves are cheaper.

Depends on which is cheaper in Star Wars: Food or Electricity? I would go out on a hunch and say that they are equal in value given that Corruscant and Nar Shaddaa exist, but that is debatable.

Status.

Anyone can own a droid. even a slave on a backwater outer rim world. but to own a PERSON? ahhh now that's a sign of status. clearly you're important

I don't consider Wato all that important. And yet he owned not one, but two PEOPLE. One of which was the Chosen one, for whatever that's worth.

Edited by XantosCledwin

Depends on which is cheaper in Star Wars: Food or Electricity?

I wasn't talking about what it takes to run the labor. Building and buying droids is much more expensive than buying/trading slaves, which also reproduce to create a more sustainable supply. Not only that, but if a droid breaks it would be much more expensive to fix it than it would be to fix a human. Or, if you're not going to fix it, it'd be cheaper to buy a living slave than a new droid.

Obviosly there is no reason, besides been sadistic human trash to take on slaves.

Droids are cheaper to repair given their parts are mass produced, while Humans and Aliens need medical care, food, housing, implants, etc.

Humans aren't meant to be slaves here or in star wars, it just shows how evil always wants to have more power over people.

I wasn't talking about what it takes to run the labor. Building and buying droids is much more expensive than buying/trading slaves, which also reproduce to create a more sustainable supply. Not only that, but if a droid breaks it would be much more expensive to fix it than it would be to fix a human. Or, if you're not going to fix it, it'd be cheaper to buy a living slave than a new droid.

Eh, that's debatable. The Star Wars Galaxy's internal Chronometer is 13 billion years old as of the Battle of Yevon. If we go all the way to the end of the Post-Battle of Yevon timeline you can add another 138 years on top of that for a total of 13,000,000,138 years of Galactic existence. Now the first civilization to enter the Galactic Stage evolved in 2,006,200 BBY. They achieved Interstellar Travel (as in traveling from one Solar System to another) exactly 6,200 years later.

It took the homosapiens on earth approximately 100,000 years of development before they were capable of space travel. And we still haven't mastered Interstellar Travel yet. So if it is possible for a species in the Star Wars Universe to achieve such heights of technology in the amount of time it took us to learn how to go from building the Pyramids and Stonehenge all the way to building Skyscrapers (which I might add is a de-evolution in a manner of speaking seeing as how we still have only a rough idea of how those two structures were built), then I wager it is not a difficult leap to assume that it is possible that the Star Wars Universe contains within it a fully functional Autonomous Manufacturing Plant for Droids.

In fact I believe one such facility is called the Star Forge. And what it amounts to is Droids building Droids. Unlike in our world where humans need to be part of the manufacturing process on some level, Droids in Star Wars are smart enough to construct themselves autonomously and without breaks. The only real issue is a power supply large enough to feed the manufacturing plant (Star Forge works off of Solar Energy) and the Raw materials needed to construct these Droids which can be shipped into the manufacturing plant from planets such as Mustafar (which I believe was one of the key locations for material gathering for the Death Star itself seeing as how you practically need a planet consisted of Volcanoes and nothing else to make a steel planetoid).

As for it being cheaper to make a human, not necessarily. I don't know if you are familiar with dog pedigree, but getting a well bred dog can be quite expensive. I imagine the same holds true for slaves as well (though I wouldn't know as I have never actually owned a real slave and don't plan to either). Similar to that is the fact that you have to feed the parents, take proper care of the parents, pay for the parents medical expenses, and all manner of other things. With a droid you only have to repair it on the occasion that it gets damaged, and in some cases it may be cheaper to buy a new droid. Disposing of slaves that callously could get you noticed by the authorities (unless you are a Hutt, in which case you are the Authorities).

Also, your statement automatically assumes that the Imperial and conversely the Republic Credit is an economy system that utilizes the same basic premise as what the modern United States or European Currencies use. Which is to say it assumes that the Credit is a currency that gains its value via loans from banks. There are a whole slew of alternate possibilities that could exist for which the translation into English from Imperial or Republic Basic is easiest to represent by using the system that we see used in the Star Wars Movies. Keep in mind what we hear in the movies need not necessarily be what they are actually saying and things do get lost in translation.

Obviosly there is no reason, besides been sadistic human trash to take on slaves.

Droids are cheaper to repair given their parts are mass produced, while Humans and Aliens need medical care, food, housing, implants, etc.

Humans aren't meant to be slaves here or in star wars, it just shows how evil always wants to have more power over people.

Please note that in the real world, there have been some genuinely good people who have owned slaves. Thomas Jefferson comes to mind (though he did ultimately release his slaves).

Edited by XantosCledwin

Slaves are cheap for their versatility. Maybe u could have droids to do 1 kind of work cheaper (maybe), but it would be significantly more expensive to create droids as versatile as slaves.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that R2-D2 is pretty darn versatile, and where there are things he can't do, C-3PO picks up the slack...

I mean for droids that basically serve as Astronavigation Computers in their primary capacity, Astromech Droids sure have a crap ton of alternative functions built into their bodies.... I mean wouldn't it be cheaper just to build an Astronavigation Computer and install it into your spaceship instead of having it on what amounts to a glorified external floppy?

Edited by XantosCledwin

I mean for droids that basically serve as Astronavigation Computers in their primary capacity, Astromech Droids sure have a crap ton of alternative functions built into their bodies.... I mean wouldn't it be cheaper just to build an Astronavigation Computer and install it into your spaceship instead of having it on what amounts to a glorified external floppy?

The reason for this according to Star Wars was that the republic in olden days built a fleet of ships which were computer only (no astromech) and it (fleet) disappeared (until to new rupblic era anyway). Apparantly it was felt that having astromechs reduced to possibility of a system error destroying the ship, pretty bad reasoning for the most part, multiple computers with AI software would probably do better.

The reason for this according to Star Wars was that the republic in olden days built a fleet of ships which were computer only (no astromech) and it (fleet) disappeared (until to new rupblic era anyway). Apparantly it was felt that having astromechs reduced to possibility of a system error destroying the ship, pretty bad reasoning for the most part, multiple computers with AI software would probably do better.

or you know, they could just invent a slipstream drive and do away with the astromech's and nav computers entirely... I mean really, if Hyperspace is that complicated that it requires an external drive on the space ship, why not just have the human component do the navigation? Afterall the human brain is a crap ton more powerful than any computer. I mean isn't that what Han Solo does?

Edited by XantosCledwin

Probaly becuase they can, as people like to have power over others.

Slavery still exsit in the world today, for that reason power.

eh, slavery exists in our world on multiple levels. In a way we are all slaves. The term Wage Slave is not simply a metaphor.

Edited by XantosCledwin

or you know, they could just invent a slipstream drive and do away with the astromech's and nav computers entirely... I mean really, if Hyperspace is that complicated that it requires an external drive on the space ship, why not just have the human component do the navigation? Afterall the human brain is a crap ton more powerful than any computer. I mean isn't that what Han Solo does?

No, Han uses the astronavigation computer to plot the course, the millenium falcon is one of the few ships in Star Wars not to use an astromech droid. Also the bit about the human brain being more powerful than a computer isn't really accurate either, a computer can do thousands of calculations per second, and can churn through complex math like it was nothing, human brains can't do that. But we can be creative, and we can redefine things so solutions become available, which computers can't do, and even droids struggle with this (with the exception of R2D2).

About the slavery, It's just a way of showing how the various empires and the hutts are evil. Yes, droids are more practical, and droids can service other droids, and power is very cheap in Star Wars, but Slavery shows a culture is EVIL, nobody gets tearful if a droid is worked to death.

Consider this, you conquer a planet - say, Kashyyyk or Ryloth - all of a sudden you've got millions of able-bodied people on your hands. Instead of assimilating them into the population, which would involve suppressing rebellions etc. why not enslave them and set them to work building infrastructure on that planet? Or on other worlds? Have them build a Death Star?

This is the reason slavery happens, war-mongering civilizations conquer planets and as an added bonus get a free supply of labor. Its only logical to enslave the population, unless of course you have morals or something.

For example when the Separatists conquered Kiros they found themselves in possession of 50,000 Togrutans who they quickly handed over to the Zygerrian Slaver's Guild. This easy acquisition of labor that has self populated the entire galaxy makes slavery cheap and effective especially for a war mongering power such as the Galactic Empire which is conquering a subjugating planets on a regular basis.

On the other hand droids are not so freely available, they have to be manufactured which requires resources and factories and in some cases workers. Yes slaves have to be fed etc. but droids have to be powered. The difference being that slaves are free to acquire, while droids cost money. And if you don't enslave the biologicals you have to spend money on crazy things like welfare and housing.

Given this the labor market is going to be more heavily populated with biologicals rather than droids. A greater supply will drive the price down, while droids being more exclusive will naturally be more expensive. So anyone looking to purchase a worker and lacking in any morals will naturally opt for the cheaper biological slave option.

Edited by Beniboybling

No, Han uses the astronavigation computer to plot the course, the millenium falcon is one of the few ships in Star Wars not to use an astromech droid. Also the bit about the human brain being more powerful than a computer isn't really accurate either, a computer can do thousands of calculations per second, and can churn through complex math like it was nothing, human brains can't do that. But we can be creative, and we can redefine things so solutions become available, which computers can't do, and even droids struggle with this (with the exception of R2D2).

About the slavery, It's just a way of showing how the various empires and the hutts are evil. Yes, droids are more practical, and droids can service other droids, and power is very cheap in Star Wars, but Slavery shows a culture is EVIL, nobody gets tearful if a droid is worked to death.

You do realize that the human brain is essentially the equivalent of a 1,680,000 MHz Processor? Possibly more... The worlds highest clock speed in computers sits right around a 3.6 GHz Dual Core. 3.6 GHz is basically 3,600 MHz even doubled that is nowhere close to what the human brain is capable of. So I think the Human brain has a higher clock speed than a computer. We cannot actually calculate the processing power of the brain though.

Even if we go out on a leap and assume that computers in Star Wars have vastly superior clock speeds than computers in our world (which need not necessarily be the case seeing as how a large chunk of the tech in Star Wars is absolutely dated by our standards), that still does not necessarily mean that it comes anywhere close to approaching the processing speed of a Human brain. In fact the only Sci Fi tech I have ever seen with such processing capabilities, is Commander Data's Positronic Brain.

Edited by XantosCledwin

Astromechs are primarily for repair, maintenance and slicing. They only operate as nav computer substitutes for starfighters which are too small to have one fitted.

Oh and they do have what you stated, its called a hyperlane. However you still need a navigation computer to choose your destination and which hyperlanes your going to follow.

Edited by Beniboybling

Astromechs are primarily for repair, maintenance and slicing. They only operate as nav computer substitutes for starfighters which are too small to have one fitted.

Oh and they do have what you stated, its called a hyperlane. However you still need a navigation computer to choose your destination and which hyperlanes your going to follow.

eh, no, Hyperlane is not Slipstream by any stretch of the imagination. Slipstream as defined by the Andromeda series is basically a psuedo-sentient parallel universe that allows for faster than light travel, but which rejects logic and thus cannot be navigated by a computer in any way.

Also, when was the last time you saw Hyperlane allow for travel backwards in time?

Edited by XantosCledwin

eh, no, Hyperlane is not Slipstream by any stretch of the imagination. Slipstream as defined by the Andromeda series is basically a psuedo-sentient parallel universe that allows for faster than light travel, but which rejects logic and thus cannot be navigated by a computer in any way.

Also, when was the last time you saw Hyperlane allow for travel backwards in time?

OK, in that case I mean hyperspace. For which hyperdrives have been invented. But unforunately this is the Star Wars universe not the Andromeda universe - there is no such thing as a psuedo-sentient parallel universe so I'm not quite sure what your point is...

You do realize that the human brain is essentially the equivalent of a 1,680,000 MHz Processor? Possibly more... The worlds highest clock speed in computers sits right around a 3.6 GHz Dual Core. 3.6 GHz is basically 3,600 MHz even doubled that is nowhere close to what the human brain is capable of. So I think the Human brain has a higher clock speed than a computer. We cannot actually calculate the processing power of the brain though.

Even if we go out on a leap and assume that computers in Star Wars have vastly superior clock speeds than computers in our world (which need not necessarily be the case seeing as how a large chunk of the tech in Star Wars is absolutely dated by our standards), that still does not necessarily mean that it comes anywhere close to approaching the processing speed of a Human brain. In fact the only Sci Fi tech I have ever seen with such processing capabilities, is Commander Data's Positronic Brain.

Then why did we invent calculators? Potential is one thing, ability is something else entirely. Like it or not the human brain at is current stage is incapable of calculating the the precise calculations necessary to navigate hyperspace without aid.

EDIT: Also a human brain is not connected up to the starship anyway. So either way your going to need some sort of nav computer to input coordinates which essentially is the extent of what your doing.

Edited by Beniboybling

Then why did we invent calculators? Potential is one thing, ability is something else entirely.

Have you ever stopped and asked yourself how many calculations you perform in a single day even when your not thinking about them? Did you know that in order to drive a car, you are constantly performing various types of logistical physics calculations in your brain? When you go grocery shopping you are constantly doing math equations to determine if you have enough money to buy everything, and add to that for the conscientious and healthy shopper the dietary equations to determine if things fit into your diet. Those are just some of the minor things you calculate each and every day. The number of calculations don't even stop when you are asleep, your brain is constantly doing something in order to keep you alive and breathing. Even people in Coma's still have certain brain functions going on that can in their most basic form be boiled down into micro calculations (though in reality its more a matter of Nerves firing at the right times). The Human body is by and large on of the most complicated machines in the universe (at least that we are aware of).

As for the rest of your comments... seriously? We are incapable of navigating hyperspace? All you really need is to re-acquaint yourself with the concepts of Nautical Navigation and then apply 2 more dimensions to it and walla you have Astronavigation. Those two additional dimensions being easily familiar to any Airplane Pilot or Submarine Captain. The only real difference is that George Lucas decided to make Hyperspace some unknown quantity that exists somewhat parallel to main Star Wars Universe and which is difficult for humans to comprehend.

That said, some human or other species of Alien somewhere had to comprehend it at some point in the past of Star Wars at least enough to be able to program all those Nav Computers to be able to navigate Hyperspace to begin with.

Edited by XantosCledwin

Have you ever stopped and asked yourself how many calculations you perform in a single day even when your not thinking about them? Did you know that in order to drive a car, you are constantly performing various types of logistical physics calculations in your brain? When you go grocery shopping you are constantly doing math equations to determine if you have enough money to buy everything, and add to that for the conscientious and healthy shopper the dietary equations to determine if things fit into your diet. Those are just some of the minor things you calculate each and every day. The number of calculations don't even stop when you are asleep, your brain is constantly doing something in order to keep you alive and breathing. Even people in Coma's still have certain brain functions going on that can in their most basic form be boiled down into micro calculations (though in reality its more a matter of Nerves firing at the right times). The Human body is by and large on of the most complicated machines in the universe (at least that we are aware of).
You did not answer my question... :p

EDIT: If I started calorie counting, I'd probably need a calculator. :D

Edited by Beniboybling

You did not answer my question... :p

EDIT: If I started calorie counting, I'd probably need a calculator. :D

see my edits to my previous post....

And do you consult a calculator when you are driving as well?

Yes I know alot of people use those stupid Satellite Navigation computers, but that's because people of the digital age have grown lazy and have stopped learning how to you know, actually navigate... If you were a Pilot in the U.S. Airforce, or a Captain for the U.S. Navy, you can bet your bottom dollar (god did I actually just type that?) that you would have to learn how to navigate the old fashioned way, just in case your sat nav got fried.