Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ruffian Bushwhack oddness.

iamnuff
11.28.2017 , 11:23 PM | #1
So I was just checking out my passives on my mid-thirties scoundrel to see what I could do to change my playstyle, and I noticed that the very first one in my skilltree is Black Market Mods. Which spreads to DoT from Vital Shot to an entire group.

Having played a gunslinger before, I'm familair with this combo.
Except that where gunslinger uses Sharp Grenade. Ruffian uses Bushwhack.

Problem: I've never heard of bushwhack.
“What's bushwhack?” I ask myself. It's not on my hotbar, it's not in my ability list.
I check online, and apparently it's a level thirty eight ability.

So I gained a passive ability at level twelve that is absolutely completely worthless for more than twenty levels?
and when I say completely worthless, I mean that quite literally.
It doesn't boost some other stat or ability and do the bushwhack thing on the side. It's sole use is to boost an ability that I won't learn until level thirty eight.

This sounds like an oversight.

Either Bushwhack should be learned at level 10, or Black Market Mods should be swapped with something further down the line.
Mortal Wound for example, boosts Vital Shot and Shrap Bomb, and is learned at level 36. Slightly before you gain Bushwhack.

Does any other class learn a passive long before they learn the skill that it effects?

Equeliber
11.29.2017 , 07:26 AM | #2
Well, what happened there is that at first, the DoT spread was on scattering blast. So the passive made sense on lvl12. But people didn't like it on that ability and eventually Bioware moved the DoT spread to Bushwack, which is much better for that purpose. So they just changed the old passive and that's it. The fact that Bushwack isn't available that early just got overlooked.

To be fair, it's not that big of a deal, DoT spread on that level is meaningless and getting to 38 takes less than a day. Some day they should, of course, move the passives around a bit.
Ael Veela, Sith Marauder Klorea, Sith Sorcerer Cinthie, Sith Assassin Lora Leigh, Sniper Darth Malgus

iamnuff
11.30.2017 , 10:35 AM | #3
I was wondering why it wasn't on the shotgun blast, actually. It seems like a much more obvious choice.

I guess it's trickier to aim though being a short-ranged cone.

Iymurra
11.30.2017 , 12:38 PM | #4
Aiming is easy enough with the Conal and despite its lack of AoE makers it's actually got a pretty good range. The reason we're grateful that the dotspread got pulled off the conal is because if there was any sort of terrain height disparity, the conal would just randomly miss people, no defensive roll, no evades. It just wouldn't hit things.

Swapping to Grenade or Shrap would be nice but Bushwhack is at the very least more functional then Volley & likely to be used in an AoE situation.

That being said: it would be nice if the passive in the tree would be swapped with something else. Maybe swap it with the level 40something passive that allows dot scouperatives to regen energy. That'd be lovely for the leveling process.
Pretty Much Everything, but Mostly
(Operative) (Commando)
Solidarity on Hot Prospect