Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Cyrosage's Avatar


Cyrosage
02.13.2012 , 09:50 PM | #451
Quote: Originally Posted by PhoR View Post
GTN price is NOT irrelevant because instead of running the mission for those Scavenging materials, you might have been able to simply buy them off the GTN for less money.
If that were the case, you didn't "gain" scavenging materials, you just lost money.

Anyway, most of the discussion in this thread is irrelevant now anyway as we've already been told:
I disagree. One gives materials, one takes away a little money. The "value" of the material is not based off the GTN. You could base it on the price of the final products, the artifact equipment, mods, etc. You could base if off vendor price. You could base the value off the fact that your character and companions can USE the stuff you make with it, called "value added". GTN prices vary greatly from server to server based on server population, age, and general supply/demand. Rank 6 missions will still cost the same, and still provide mission cost give or take 200 credits, favoring the take it seems for most people (I get that information from tracking this thread and its predecessors, so it's not me making stuff up). If there are no materials on the GTN, and you get some from a mission, that's a win.
I collect all the things.


PhoR's Avatar


PhoR
02.13.2012 , 11:55 PM | #452
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyrosage View Post
GTN prices vary greatly from server to server based on server population, age, and general supply/demand.
Yet you're ignoring the profit you can make from selling mission schematics you get from slicing missions for the EXACT same reason.

Your argument contradicts itself.
ı≡≡≡≡≡≡ıı₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

dynastynyy's Avatar


dynastynyy
02.14.2012 , 02:04 AM | #453
Quote: Originally Posted by PhoR View Post
Yet you're ignoring the profit you can make from selling mission schematics you get from slicing missions for the EXACT same reason.

Your argument contradicts itself.

Schematics? I have yet to find a server with a GTN that isnt FLOODED with schematics from slicing. I was never able to sell schematics for much more than 5% profit.

Twor's Avatar


Twor
02.14.2012 , 05:30 AM | #454
Quote: Originally Posted by PhoR View Post
Yet you're ignoring the profit you can make from selling mission schematics you get from slicing missions for the EXACT same reason.

Your argument contradicts itself.
I guess you mean mission discoveries. Those are rare. If you want to compare the money made from mission schematics, you should compare it with crit results from all other crafts.

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
02.14.2012 , 08:04 AM | #455
Quote: Originally Posted by Hologramx View Post
I started Slicing lately with my alts, and I got sick then stopped playing that alt thoroughly.

If I have a 100% success for every mission, I will earn like 10% in total. However, one failures make you lose 100% for that cost and it happened that I failed 5 missions in a row.
No one would want to play this. Forget it. It is a joke. I would say these programmers need to study mathematics from their primary schools.
Don't expect orange missions to be profitable. In any crafting skill that has missions.

Shimmer-Holler's Avatar


Shimmer-Holler
02.14.2012 , 09:54 AM | #456
From my modest testing and using of this crew skill.

Slicing is only consistently profitable when calculated with open world gathering. Sitting in the fleet running missions tends to be profitable when running with very high affection companions.

Any Cybertech recipe is vendor fodder, Investigation missions are too often returned thus weekends tend to sell better sometimes I have to relist them a few times.

Underworld Trading is used by 3 professions, this is pure gold.

Grade 6 Blue Metal from Underworld Trading sells for about about 1k each, purple grade 6 sell for about 5k each. Running Underwold Trading missions instead of Slicing I make more money doing UT missions (Cloth doesn't sell that great, it comes in spurts) companion gifts are between 5k for blue and 10k for purple.

LokiFlux's Avatar


LokiFlux
02.19.2012 , 10:10 PM | #457
So, I picked up slicing at the beginning because I did it in the beta. I loved it then and, even though it's not putting out as much as it was, I'm making a huge profit. I'm only level 24 on the slicing toon and I have 140k creds and I've been spending loads on cybertech and several other things, while funding my wife's armormech powerleveling, etc. I'm 400 slicing and have been for a while and it's not "breaking even" in the slightest. There are spreadsheets all around that are showing profits and I'm just assuming the people complaining are getting unlucky. Especially considering the bulk of people are admitting actual profits elsewhere. I'm assuming also that the people complaining are only doing yellow missions or ones that don't turn enough of a profit.

I'm doing azure databanks, taking back control, finding our way, be careful what you read, and am currently parsing the others. I'm not falling into a deficit in the slightest. I'm currently creating an old fashioned spreadsheet and will translate it from my notebook to my computer sometime soon to prove my data. This is before mission sales and I'm not high enough level on this toon to farm Ilum or anywhere else profitable yet. I don't even have all of my companions on him to go out and slice, only 2 and I'm still making a decent profit. I know that the second I get risha and bowdaar my profits will soar even higher and will continue my spreadsheet with them in comparison. This is also not counting mission sales.

Personally, I don't really care if anyone believes me or the others that are posting here showing profits, or the many spreadsheets showing large profits. I know I'm very comfortable and will continue to be in my projections for a long time to come. (especially with the 1.2 slicing additions).

keepster's Avatar


keepster
02.29.2012 , 05:20 PM | #458
so is this just dead then?

PaintOnASign's Avatar


PaintOnASign
02.29.2012 , 05:34 PM | #459
Quote: Originally Posted by Renifizzle View Post
Remember your design goals BW, slicing is a mission skill for non-crafters. It is a way for them to utilize the crew skills to make money or get gear without entering the crafting world. This skill is no longer profitable as a mission skill..
I could have sworn this was a gathering profession. In fact, nothing in the codex entry implies this is a mission crew skill, quite the opposite actually. Let me go see the Slicing trainer... Yep, <Gathering Trainer> tag...

Not profitable? Are you telling me that when you find a Slicing node, you aren't instantly making profit? You are literally picking up credits.

Sounds to me like you just want to be able to send out 5 people on their own mission, then walk away from your PC while you reap the effort-free rewards. How about you go and do what the crew skill is about. GATHER.

Dark-Warlord's Avatar


Dark-Warlord
03.18.2012 , 07:03 PM | #460
Has Bioware or any of their Devs not seen this yet? its three threads with like 5000 posts, how can you ignore something like this??

if this doesnt change by 1.2 then im going to flip out :\