Today I tried Wildstar

Vodamin

So I got a message with a 7 days free trial for Wildstar. Well what the heck, why not.

So I downloaded and installed the game.

And my first impression is - cartoonish, over colored, soulless game.

Why is SWTOR so much superior to all other games?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got a message with a 7 days free trial for Wildstar. Well what the heck, why not.

Come on now. Play for a bit and tell us your thought. Really curious, heard it has done a lot of things right swtor hasn´t. The housing is also supposed to be way superior. Well even I love swtor, the games engine is...just ****.

Why is SWTOR so much superior to all other games?[/quote

I gave Wildstar $75 for about 10 hours of game time. Worst 10 hours of gaming ever! I only did it cause my guild at the time talked me into trying it and I was too stupid to check the beta first :eek:

I tried purchased and played Wildstar for 2 weeks out of the first free month. And I can tell you that from a game systems standpoint that game was more complete and smooth than any other game at launch. It was a problem of style for me. I was never attached to my toons, there was now "wow!" moments to hook me into the game. They tried to get it, but it just never happened. The races and classes are interesting but did not appeal to me.

And leveling (i got into my 30's) became grindy without any real big carrots to chase.

The above is my opinion and entirely my experience.

Like I said if you want to see a game with complete systems in it at launch. that is a good one.

Edited by Cuspin

I may try it if I ever get a 7 day email thingy or it goes F2P. I was invited to the beta, but never got around to trying it. I actually quite like the look of the style and lore, but it just isn't enough to hook me and what most people seem to love about it, just does not interest me as much.

Do not get me, I hope the game does well but for now, I just do not think Wildstar is for me.

there are a lot of elements in TOR that could be said is cartoonish, over colored and a souless game.

i agree wildstar has some cartoonish art in places and with its toons but i also have to say its graphics and its worlds look way better than TORs. not to mention how much freer you are in that game than in this one. if you cant get over the artwork in game then you should stay clear of a bunch of other games!!

and swtor is nowhere near "superior" to all other games!!! there are many more games out there that are much more superior!!!

there are a lot of elements in TOR that could be said is cartoonish, over colored and a souless game.

i agree wildstar has some cartoonish art in places and with its toons but i also have to say its graphics and its worlds look way better than TORs. not to mention how much freer you are in that game than in this one. if you cant get over the artwork in game then you should stay clear of a bunch of other games!!

and swtor is nowhere near "superior" to all other games!!! there are many more games out there that are much more superior!!!

that's just like... your opinion, man.

what use is freedom when you don't care about where you go with it? appearance is purely subjective. I happen to think a lot of games look gorgeous, TOR being one of them. wildstar? not a single "wow" moment. ESO gave me whoa moments. GW2 gave me a few of those. I tend to regularly gawk at things in TOR. even WoW occasionally makes me good.. holy crap, this looks awesome. wildstar? it looks soooo good in cinematics. but cinematics were the only times where I had my "wow" moments in wildstar.

personally, I happen to think that of the games available on the market right now, SWTOR is one of the better options. and in my not so humble opinion? is IS very much superior to Wildstar. and it genuinely makes me sad, since I was looking forward to that game ever since that first trailer.

your hate for SWTOR is pretty well known at this point, so even among very subjective opinions, yours is pretty close to the "so subjective, as to be pointless"

one thing I wonder is.. you have unsubbed. you are obviously not having fun with TOR. WHY are you still here? do you have so much free time on your hands that you have nothing better to do other than hang out on the forums of the game you don't even play anymore and trash it?

Edited by Jeweledleah

that's just like... your opinion, man.

what use is freedom when you don't care about where you go with it? appearance is purely subjective. I happen to think a lot of games look gorgeous, TOR being one of them. wildstar? not a single "wow" moment. ESO gave me whoa moments. GW2 gave me a few of those. I tend to regularly gawk at things in TOR. even WoW occasionally makes me good.. holy crap, this looks awesome. wildstar? it looks soooo good in cinematics. but cinematics were the only times where I had my "wow" moments in wildstar.

personally, I happen to think that of the games available on the market right now, SWTOR is one of the better options. and in my not so humble opinion? is IS very much superior to Wildstar. and it genuinely makes me sad, since I was looking forward to that game ever since that first trailer.

your hate for SWTOR is pretty well known at this point, so even among very subjective opinions, yours is pretty close to the "so subjective, as to be pointless"

one thing I wonder is.. you have unsubbed. you are obviously not having fun with TOR. WHY are you still here? do you have so much free time on your hands that you have nothing better to do other than hang out on the forums of the game you don't even play anymore and trash it?

guess you never climbed to the top of a very tall tree and looked out at the land...land that you can actually get to unlike in TOR B^P those were the best WOW moments for me in Wildstar... that and falling from the tree or other great heights and having my chest tighten. just the fact that i could get up real high and see for long distances and knowing i can actually walk, run, ride there, see something cool off in the distance and hike my way there and see it up close. and for me the freedom of not caring where i go with it is the best part. im not bound to anything im free to do what ever i want!!! i want to go wander off over in that direction?? sure go for it!!! i want to go do some quests and gain a level?? sure why not!!! i want to go decorate my house?? ok lets do it!!! i want to go see if i can find a secret cave out in those hills way over there?? ill grab my head lamp!!!

but like you said its just my opinion just like everything you said is your opinion. it really means nothing at all.

and yes my subscription ends soon, but until then i keep checking the forums to see if there is any news about whats in the future because i am a huge star wars fan and i really want to like this game but for me its just not worth a subscription fee. to me the stories are good to ok up until you hit the 30s then they get boring, after you level one toon its way to repetitive and super boring, the voice acting is ok to horrible and the dialog in the non main story quest is down right horrible, the crafting in game is a joke and boring, the housing is way too limiting not to mention expensive, GSF is a joke of a ripoff of star conflict... the only good thing about this game is its graphics are really nice and its star wars, that's about it. dose this game have its wow moments?? sure every game has some form of wow moments you just have to find them, unfortunately for me there just isn't enough of them to mask how many bad things this game has B^(

also i dont have a LOT of free time but what little i do have i spend checking my emails, checking my normal every day sites and these forums, comment on a few and then log into archeage :D

p.s. the only wow moment i had in ESO is "WOW they coppied SWG:NGE!!!!" :p

Edited by Edzew

I don't think you understood what I meant by not caring.

whenever I play GW2 I pretty much go with the flow, especially once I figured out how to abuse mentoring system if you will, allowing me to go wherever I feel like within a zone without worrying about being underleveled (and unless I remember it wrong? wildstar is also level bound, so "freedom" is a relative thing)

with wildstar though.. I didn't really care about the story, I didn't care about the land I didn't feel involved or immersed. I had a similar experience with RIFT actualy, but I found rift much more pleasing aesthetically. just... didn't catch me. as for climbing up things? I guess you didn't do any jumping around in TOR, haven't taken a balloon ride, haven't looked down from the mountains are looked around during taxi rides, haven't looked up inside and outside of buildings, etc - have you.

every once in a while it strikes me just how much attention to detail Bioware put into their game. and honestly? so did Bethesda with ESO. whatever issues that game has - its pretty damn gorgeous.

wildstar though... maybe its becasue I'm oversaturated with games, but it seemed terribly derivative among other things. which other games have a bit of as well, but there was nothing in wildstar, no hook, no ummph to get me hooked. and gameplay (which I wasn't the fan of either) no matter how smooth - is just isn't enough anymore.

that said. I still don't get why you are here. SWTOR will never be sandbox. its a bioware game, bioware doesn't do sandbox, they do stories. that's their thing. story and characters and relationships you build with characters while playing through the story. that's what bioware does. its what they did in KOTOR, its what they did in pretty much every rpg starting with Baldur's gate. so whatever your expectations or hopes are? you honestly need to accept reality. this is NOT the style of game you are looking for. and it doesn't make it a bad game, contrary to your belief. (and no, I'm not saying wildstar is a bad game either.. just not god's gift to gamers people claimed it would be)

I don't think you understood what I meant by not caring.

whenever I play GW2 I pretty much go with the flow, especially once I figured out how to abuse mentoring system if you will, allowing me to go wherever I feel like within a zone without worrying about being underleveled (and unless I remember it wrong? wildstar is also level bound, so "freedom" is a relative thing)

with wildstar though.. I didn't really care about the story, I didn't care about the land I didn't feel involved or immersed. I had a similar experience with RIFT actualy, but I found rift much more pleasing aesthetically. just... didn't catch me. as for climbing up things? I guess you didn't do any jumping around in TOR, haven't taken a balloon ride, haven't looked down from the mountains are looked around during taxi rides, haven't looked up inside and outside of buildings, etc - have you.

every once in a while it strikes me just how much attention to detail Bioware put into their game. and honestly? so did Bethesda with ESO. whatever issues that game has - its pretty damn gorgeous.

wildstar though... maybe its becasue I'm oversaturated with games, but it seemed terribly derivative among other things. which other games have a bit of as well, but there was nothing in wildstar, no hook, no ummph to get me hooked. and gameplay (which I wasn't the fan of either) no matter how smooth - is just isn't enough anymore.

that said. I still don't get why you are here. SWTOR will never be sandbox. its a bioware game, bioware doesn't do sandbox, they do stories. that's their thing. story and characters and relationships you build with characters while playing through the story. that's what bioware does. its what they did in KOTOR, its what they did in pretty much every rpg starting with Baldur's gate. so whatever your expectations or hopes are? you honestly need to accept reality. this is NOT the style of game you are looking for. and it doesn't make it a bad game, contrary to your belief. (and no, I'm not saying wildstar is a bad game either.. just not god's gift to gamers people claimed it would be)

difference in wildstar you can actually GO to those place you see from high up, cant really do that in tor now can you??

as for those little details that bioware puts into this game.. have you ever really taken a look at those details?? its quite funny when you take a close look at the reflections in things and you cant figure out why you are seeing the reflection of the fleet in your speeder while in your house or any other planet. or how so many buildings are just copies of other buildings on planet...or other planets, same with caves.

as for what i expected form this game?? i expected a Star Wars MMORPG, instead i get a single player star wars game that i get to play online and see other people playing it along next to me at the same time with lil mini games where i get to group up with those other players. and the reason i started playing this game is quite simple, ive actually said it many many times... i am a huge Star Wars fan. Pure and Simple. just like how some of you people are huge bioware fans and will play anything they make no matter how horrible it is, i will try just about anything Star Wars. The only reason i cam back was because of the announcement of GSF, it came out and i saw it was a cheap knock off of Star Conflect, was about to unsub again when they announced strongholds so i stuck around and got all my alts up to at least level 30. Strongholds came out and its just a cheap cash grab with little thought put into it. Way too limiting and way too expensive.. even for the free home they give you. To unlock all the other rooms in that free house it will cost you well over 4 million credits or well over 2 thousand cartel coins, and then you still cant place rugs or other things where ever you want to, only in the spaces they think you should put things :(

also having an open world dos not mean its sandbox you can still have themepark with an open world.

Vistas in GW2 > Vistas in Wildstar.

WS was "ok", but it, like ESO (for me), there was: 1) Nothing compelling that made me say, "I HAVE TO PLAY THIS GAME", and at least for ESO, nothing 'Heroic'. I dunno. I agree with Anger Gamer on Youtube re ESO, "It's got the look, but none of the heart and soul".

WS got repetitive very quickly.

Vistas in GW2 > Vistas in Wildstar.

WS was "ok", but it, like ESO (for me), there was: 1) Nothing compelling that made me say, "I HAVE TO PLAY THIS GAME", and at least for ESO, nothing 'Heroic'. I dunno. I agree with Anger Gamer on Youtube re ESO, "It's got the look, but none of the heart and soul".

WS got repetitive very quickly.

I found that Wildstar tried too hard. Hearing a disembodied voice yell, 'AWESOME!' every time I leveled ... I just kept thinking, *** is this? A playground MMO? Are we that attention-deficet hamsters that we need someone telling us, 'KEEP GOING! THIS IS AWESOME!'? It was like the MMO version of the Lego Movie: 'everything is AWESOME!'

I thought the 'all skills are AOE' idea was interesting. But the zones weren't anything specialt to me. The story was not a story. I felt like it was just a treadmill to get you through the zone and into the next. The Wizard tried to cover all the seams of the machine but failed IMO.

So if so many other games are superior....why are you here posting on these forums? Do you still play TOR? Go play with your cartoons on Wildstar. Maybe the bright colors will amuse you for a while.

Edzew.... are you honestly genuinely claiming that Wildstar doesn't reuse assets? seriously? all video games reuse assets. they have to because otherwise, they would simply be unaffordable. ALL of them do it. even that exploration game that is supposed create new worlds every time you start it up (forgot the name of it) . the important part is how much thought was put into existing assets in a first place. how much detail.

and incidentally, YES I can go to a lot of those places I see from up high - the whole premise of datacron hunting hinges on exploring places that are out of the way a lot of times. I cannot go to all of them, but a lot of them - I can. and I'm fairly sure that unless wildstar has flying mounts or something of that nature - there are places you cannot go to there - either.

difference in wildstar you can actually GO to those place you see from high up, cant really do that in tor now can you??

as for those little details that bioware puts into this game.. have you ever really taken a look at those details?? its quite funny when you take a close look at the reflections in things and you cant figure out why you are seeing the reflection of the fleet in your speeder while in your house or any other planet. or how so many buildings are just copies of other buildings on planet...or other planets, same with caves.

as for what i expected form this game?? i expected a Star Wars MMORPG, instead i get a single player star wars game that i get to play online and see other people playing it along next to me at the same time with lil mini games where i get to group up with those other players. and the reason i started playing this game is quite simple, ive actually said it many many times... i am a huge Star Wars fan. Pure and Simple. just like how some of you people are huge bioware fans and will play anything they make no matter how horrible it is, i will try just about anything Star Wars. The only reason i cam back was because of the announcement of GSF, it came out and i saw it was a cheap knock off of Star Conflect, was about to unsub again when they announced strongholds so i stuck around and got all my alts up to at least level 30. Strongholds came out and its just a cheap cash grab with little thought put into it. Way too limiting and way too expensive.. even for the free home they give you. To unlock all the other rooms in that free house it will cost you well over 4 million credits or well over 2 thousand cartel coins, and then you still cant place rugs or other things where ever you want to, only in the spaces they think you should put things :(

also having an open world dos not mean its sandbox you can still have themepark with an open world.

a great post that just shows why tor is failing to games like wildstar and archeage. theres so much to do in those games and here all we get is bioware telling us they are putting news of 3.0 off for a few weeks.

a great post that just shows why tor is failing to games like wildstar and archeage. theres so much to do in those games and here all we get is bioware telling us they are putting news of 3.0 off for a few weeks.

*rereads part where it says "tor is failing to games like wildstar", laughs out loud*

man, months ago you were criticizing some of us for defending this game, look at you now...

Lets look at Wildstar right now. Not doing too well. In fact the devs are forced to turn around from their "hardcore centric" model in favor of some more "casual friendly" features. And while SWTOR is the 4th highest earning MMO, Wildstar needs server merges less than 3 months in. Even swtor held out a bit longer.

Yeah SWTOR has its problems, but please don't hide from Wildstars currently growing issues. It did not nearly do as well as they thought, and apparently it dipped at an even faster rate of SWTOR when it launched.

true they can still pull out, and I think they will, but I do not know how much longer they will be sub-only like this ( considering how much they bragged about not going free to play until shutdown or something like that ), I especially and curious to see what will happen to their sub numbers when all those 6 month subs people bought when the game first launched expire.

I knew something like this would happen when the Wildstar devs claimed that "one day an mmo will come around that will beat WoW" and heavily implied it would be them...

Say what you want about SWTOR but we stabilized, and we got an expansion on the way, even before housing we at a solid million. Conquests I know has gotten people back and active as they struggle for conquest points.

You might want to face reality here. Saying Wildstar is doing better than SWTOR when the facts do not support it is not being honest with yourself.

*rereads part where it says "tor is failing to games like wildstar", laughs out loud*

man, months ago you were criticizing some of us for defending this game, look at you now...

Lets look at Wildstar right now. Not doing too well. In fact the devs are forced to turn around from their "hardcore centric" model in favor of some more "casual friendly" features. And while SWTOR is the 4th highest earning MMO, Wildstar needs server merges less than 3 months in. Even swtor held out a bit longer.

Yeah SWTOR has its problems, but please don't hide from Wildstars currently growing issues. It did not nearly do as well as they thought, and apparently it dipped at an even faster rate of SWTOR when it launched.

true they can still pull out, and I think they will, but I do not know how much longer they will be sub-only like this ( considering how much they bragged about not going free to play until shutdown or something like that ), I especially and curious to see what will happen to their sub numbers when all those 6 month subs people bought when the game first launched expire.

I knew something like this would happen when the Wildstar devs claimed that "one day an mmo will come around that will beat WoW" and heavily implied it would be them...

Say what you want about SWTOR but we stabilized, and we got an expansion on the way, even before housing we at a solid million. Conquests I know has gotten people back and active as they struggle for conquest points.

You might want to face reality here. Saying Wildstar is doing better than SWTOR when the facts do not support it is not being honest with yourself.

This is how well Wildstar is doing. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/632/feature/8993/WildStar-Carbine-Cancels-Christmas.html

Gets banned for being a troll. Comes back to a game he supposedly hates just to troll and then claims Wildstar is the second coming in MMOS. Seriously dude, go play said games if you hate it here so much. I mean subbing just to post means you're actually giving them money. Wouldn't want us thinking you likw the game now do you?

Leveled 2 toons to cap on Wildstar. Fun game, good humor.

Inacessible PVE endgame. Broken PVP endgame.

The PvE endgame is quite accessible, you just have to get into a high-end guild that knows enough ways to cheese the system to get around the bugs that keep the endgame locked out.

As for PvP... Yeah. Actually, speaking of PvP, while SWTOR's class balance sucks, the class balance in all other MMORPG is even worse. Maybe ESO, as it has soft classes and no real "class" balance and WoW are about on par. But at least in SWTOR you don't have "don't try bringing this into PvP EVER" classes; yes, some classes lose out because they don't have anything special, but no free kills. Now, SWTOR GSF - full of useless ships, useless builds, people useless because they run them - that's what ~every other MMORPG's class balance is like.