Returning player stuck on deciding a class

CLASSlFlED

Hey everyone, the last time i played extensively was when the level cap was 50, so a lot has changed since then.

I've got into game, messed around with a few classes (i'm a sub, so the 12x exp has been nice) but i'm unable to settle as I'm still not 100% sure what classes do at end-game and I just want to focus on one, not level up several.

When it comes to the roles, I'm really not sure what I'd prefer to do, but i think i would like to go for a ranged role, as I heard the current ops are very punishing for melee players, which is leaving them sidelined a bit.

My main intention is to do as many Operations and Flashpoints as possible, because i love Dungeons and raids. I want a nice chilled out class that wouldn't be too stressful to play, and this was causing me to lean towards the sniper initially, but before i finally do settle on a class, i just wanted to hear the opinions of the community and more experienced players.

PvP isn't something i'm wholely interested in, but it is something i will dabble in from time to time.

So with all that said, is Sniper the class i should lean towards? I'm not really interested in Mercenary, while the DPS specs look fun, I'm not really a fan of healing because I always end up getting the (sorry to say it) really bad players who just can't avoid damage, making my role even more stressful.

If you'd like my own humble opinion then Sniper or Sith Sorcerer DPS is the way to go.

Both story lines are fun to play and I find both to feel powerful (although I eventually ditched Sorcerer for 'Sin Tank because of long queue times in GF for pure DPS class).

And I don't find ops to be too terrible when I play my Sentinel/Juggernaut DPS. Tough, yes, but not overly so. Just depends on what you feel comfortable with.

Sniper... well, compared to Arsenal Merc I can't say it's got the same utility. Sniper's just not got the same kind of mobility, and you need this mobility during an op. Well, that's my opinion.

Sniper's good, the rotation's easy, but Arsenal Merc is just so much more comfortable: mobility, range, self-cleansing and self-healing. Why not try both and see which works better for you?

But long queue lines are an issue, and tanks and healers are in high demand. So you might want to go healer or tank, depending on your preferences - tank, if you really dislike healing. But starting as DPS is a good way to learn the ropes both in SM and HM.

Edited by Kulyok

Seems I'm now stuck deciding between Mercenary and Sniper now!

I looked up some gameplay videos of both, and they both seem appealing, the bonus with Mercenary is that if for some reason i do ever decide to want to fulfil another role, there's always the option to heal sitting there.

I must admit, i like the companions on the Bounty hunter more, mostly because of Blizz, when it comes to the Imp agents companions, none of them really appeal to me.

Seems I'm now stuck deciding between Mercenary and Sniper now!

The sniper (agent) has a awesome story, it is the best I have experienced in this game so far. If you are in mood for a good story then go for the sniper.

Edited by Icestar

Well I'm partial to the Lightening Sorc, absolutely enjoy playing the class, for Ops I hear it is ok DPS and does well in healer spec. The mobility of the Sorc should be a huge plus in Ops.

From what I hear, Sniper is a really good DPS for Ops, but aside from the agent being my favorite story, I cant say much beyond that.

All this from someone who has never done a single Op so take it with a grain of salt. As far as group play I am much more a PvP guy. Good luck.

I think I'll give sniper a shot, with the community praising it as having the best story and the simplistic gameplay style (just camp and shoot), i think it's the sort of class I'd prefer to play more, as i won't have players nagging me to swap specs and heal. :-)

Thank you everyone for helping sway my decision.

One final question though, is there a particular sniper spec that outshines the other 2 when it comes to leveling? I imagine Virulence isn't that good in leveling due to the dot ramp up time, which leads me with Engineer (Which i think is the AoE spec?) And Marksmanship, is this correct?

Edited by CLASSlFlED

I think I'll give sniper a shot, with the community praising it as having the best story and the simplistic gameplay style (just camp and shoot), i think it's the sort of class I'd prefer to play more, as i won't have players nagging me to swap specs and heal. :-)

You can simply tell them "I don't heal" rather than sideline an entire class because you don't want to play one of its possible roles. Merc DPS is amazing for its mobility, which is paramount in Ops. While Sniper is fairly simple to play (some rotations are more complicated than others), the overall lack of mobility compared to Merc will hurt you if you're not familiar with the pacing of the fights.

One final question though, is there a particular sniper spec that outshines the other 2 when it comes to leveling? I imagine Virulence isn't that good in leveling due to the dot ramp up time, which leads me with Engineer (Which i think is the AoE spec?) And Marksmanship, is this correct?

Engineering is definitely the way to go for leveling. It's simple and has both strong AoE and Single Target. All three specs are competative for Operations; just use which one you prefer. I stuck with Engineering, as it has a lot more AoE potential than the other specs.

If you're going sniper, I'd put another vote for marksmanship. It's awesome, both in levelling and in end-game content.

And Agent's story certainly outshines the bounty hunter's, that's true.

But you can always go and try the merc later!

sniper is hands down my favorite class to play for both fun and story. i went Marksman.

coming in a second is Merc. i havnt done the dps route (yet), but intend on doing that sooner or later.

im an altaholic so i try different things out from time to time and, so far, sniper is my favorite. I also like to pvp a bit so that helps, too....

edit:

I also wanted to add that a DPS Knight/Jugg is also pretty fun to play and is my current focus right now. you also get the option for tanking if you so choose so that helps to round out the class a bit.

Edited by Qouivandes

Play what YOU feel is a really fun class and Advanced Class (AC) to play. If it is fun for you then it will encourage use, use will bring expertise. Expert players are always welcome in FP's and Ops.

The childish never ending fixation on "best" relies on someone else to provide it. Being the best takes personal effort. Excelling in life comes from within.

Play what is fun for you, the fun will lead to being really good since being good is fun. That will bring a place in static group/guild where FP's and Ops are running. Good players are more desirable than any Flavor of the Month class.