Looks like a big point of TOR has been destroyed...

Liamo

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Korriban has been established in the lore for many years and a great amount of books, comics, card games, video games and other products refer to it as the Sith homeworld. In my opinion such a massive retcon would need a very serious reason to justify it otherwise it is an unnecessary compromising of heavily established canon.

"Massive" retcon? There have been bigger retcons made in the past. Once upon a time, Boba Fett was an alter ego that renegade stormtrooper named Jaster Mareel made for himself after he chose to become a bounty hunter. "Moraband" is a simple name change. All in all, this'll be one of the easier retcons. As said ad nauseum before, it's not all that uncommon for planets to have more than one name.

"Massive" retcon? There have been bigger retcons made in the past. Once upon a time, Boba Fett was an alter ego that renegade stormtrooper named Jaster Mareel made for himself after he chose to become a bounty hunter. "Moraband" is a simple name change. All in all, this'll be one of the easier retcons. As said ad nauseum before, it's not all that uncommon for planets to have more than one name.
That post is dated 03.04.2014. Before it was revealed to be a simple name change. So I think you'll find the point he was making is that getting rid of Korriban altogether would be a massive retcon and a bad move.

Kind of a moot point at this point after seeing Moriband look almost identical to Korriban *shudder* but did anyone ever think that when they refer to the 'homeworld of the Sith' they're talking about the actual race of Sith? What if the original Darksiders home base was on Moriband? Wouldn't that justify it, even though both planets looks alarmingly similar?

Kind of a moot point at this point after seeing Moriband look almost identical to Korriban *shudder* but did anyone ever think that when they refer to the 'homeworld of the Sith' they're talking about the actual race of Sith? What if the original Darksiders home base was on Moriband? Wouldn't that justify it, even though both planets looks alarmingly similar?
Moraband = Korriban.

This has been confirmed.

"Sacrifice" features the first appearance of Korriban, the homeworld of the Sith species, in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars series. During story development, George Lucas decided that he preferred the name "Moraband" rather than the established name of Korriban, and thus the planet is referred to as such in the episode. However, the episode guide's trivia gallery clarifies that Korriban has had multiple names throughout its history.[1]

actually this tidbit was more interesting:

Mark Hamill as Darth Bane

George Lucas decided that he preferred the name "Moraband" rather than the established name of Korriban,

Just think how much better off Star Wars would be if this tool had sold the IP off at the end of the '80s.

....information on the last episodes of The Clone Wars has come in. Looks like the Sith origin world is NOT Korriban, but a world called Moriband. The descriptions are just like Korriban so it seems like an FU to fans, imo.

If you want some semi-spoliers on the descriptions of the episodes head here http://jedinews.co.uk/default.aspx

You'll need to scroll down but it's all there.

Its entirely possible that Korriban and Moriband are the same planet, just with different names(for whatever reason).

However, after browsing the above mentioned website, it reminds me of another SW related website that existed around the time the Prequel Trilogy was being made. It was run by a guy with the handle "SuperShadow" and he came up with TONS of suppositions, theories, and fake information about the movies and other items Star Wars.

Take this current site with the proverbial "grain of salt".

Edited by DarknessInLight

Pretty sure I read in an article (Game Informer maybe?) about how Lucas would come in during game development, see something he liked, then change the name. He tried to change a sith to Darth Stinky or something. I'm at work right now, so I can't be as accurate as I'd like, but I'll definitely repost the article's info if I can find it when I get home

Greetings,

"Korriban, known as Pesegam during the reign of Xim, and also known as Moraband by the time of the Clone Wars..."

So in different Era periods planet has different names, it's foolish to think that planet has only one name...

Edited by sandisrd

Not just korriban, but is it me or stuff like the inquisitor story as been tottaly shafted ? i mean during the last episode on TCW not only we already knew from the previous episode that to become a force ghost you must do some mambo jambo ritual, but in moroband / korriban the sith taunt yoda by telling him that after death theres nothing, like thats a sith creed, if thats the case it tottaly screws alot of the stuff we see in kotor, even in the jedi knight story we talk with ghosts, weird that disney / lucas craps on the lore of KOTOR yet they picture moroband like a clone of the games korriban, tombs included. :confused: Edited by Harkin

Not just korriban, but is it me or stuff like the inquisitor story as been tottaly shafted ? i mean during the last episode on TCW not only we already knew from the previous episode that to become a force ghost you must do some mambo jambo ritual, but in moroband / korriban the sith taunt yoda by telling him that after death theres nothing, like thats a sith creed, if thats the case it tottaly screws alot of the stuff we see in kotor, even in the jedi knight story we talk with ghosts, weird that disney / lucas craps on the lore of KOTOR yet they picture moroband like a clone of the games korriban, tombs included. :confused:
Someone else said something along similar lines but its not that simple, allow me to quote myself:

Its been long since established that the knowledge of how to become one with the Force was lost by the Jedi over the years. The Jedi of this era merely believed the ability to be a legend. So no, no retcons there.

Concerning the Sith take on it, that is far more complex. Sith cannot become Force ghosts as Jedi can because they resist the process. In order to become a Force ghost you have to accept your death, and by doing so you retain your consciousness and can interact with the living if you know how. Sith however cling to life, by anchoring themselves to the place where they died, and so they are slowly torn apart as the Force drags them into the Cosmic Force.

So what the spirits say makes a degree of sense. To them a Force ghost is just a residual part of your essence clinging to life, and when you finally let go, you are totally destroyed. They don't see it as another way of existing.

Nonetheless each Sith is different in his set of beliefs. Plagueis for example dismissed the existence of Force Ghosts as something non-supernatural, he perceived it as a persistence of the physical mind in the Force once the body has been destroyed - so in a sense he believed such entities existed in the physical world, they are merely not fully dead.

Altogether its all wrapped up in how you define physical and metaphysical. Does the Netherworld of the Force exist? Or are Force ghosts just Force Users who aren't quite dead yet? And is there really a difference?

On top of that Leland Chee, the Keeper of the Holocron, has confirmed that Moraband is just another name for Koriban which has been repeated on this thread several times if you cared to read it. Its the same planet.

• 1 month later...

Korriban was as it was known Pre-Clone Wars.

Istanbul was once Constantinople.

New York was once New Amsterdam.

Beijing = Peking

It happens in our world too.

So the Sith of TOR era know it as Korriban. The Jedi Council of Yoda's time know it as Moraband.

Korriban was as it was known Pre-Clone Wars.

Istanbul was once Constantinople.

New York was once New Amsterdam.

Beijing = Peking

It happens in our world too.

So the Sith of TOR era know it as Korriban. The Jedi Council of Yoda's time know it as Moraband.

Except that it's referred to as Korriban in the books that came after the movies.

Yes, in the Legacy comics.

And in several novels set after TCW, including the Legacy of the Force series, Crosscurrent, Riptide, and I think some of the Fate of the Jedi series as well, plus a few video games like Jedi Academy and Renegade Squadron.

But I don't think that's really that big a deal, it just means that some people use its traditional name and some people use its later one. Not sure if that's something that really has much analogy in real life (at least within the same language), but I wouldn't find it unbelievable to hear that some die-hard communists still refer to St. Petersburg as "Leningrad" for example.

The only real inconsistency is that I think Sidious and Tyranus also call it Moraband in TCW when they have both called it Korriban elsewher - which is far from the worst inconsistency the EU has ever had to explain.