Now this is something new.

Gabrieltheninth

Good evening!

I'm suffering from the huge lag spikes for a WEEK now. At the moment of creating this thread, I'm not even able to log onto the server (The Progenitor). This is entirely new to me, after all the time I've spent in the game with the stable connection (75ms).

I tried contacting my provider and found that I'm not the only one with that kind of problem. And that problem is not caused by my connection.

Even after following recommendations given by Customer Service.

I want to know what is EXACTLY wrong.

And it'd be good if anyone with the same problem could respond to this thread.

Sincerely,

Upset player.:hope_05:

Same ****, same provider, i'm kinda sure it's their fault. However, i don't know how to prove it.

I started a thread on their forum (there was some person who confirmed he has the same problem, was that you btw?) providing it with following screenshots: tests to 159.153.72.252 ip:

http://imgur.com/a/EvvIQ

and to 159.153.77.228 ip:

http://imgur.com/a/BKOJM

Both ips were taken from here (159.153.77.228 is for TRE server via "netstat -n -p tcp -b" command in cmd.

The guys on isp forums say smth like "you have the same ammount of packets sent/received on both ends".

I actually called to their CS like an hour ago and the dude just asked me to do the "ping" command via cmd to their server and then was like "yeah, you have 0% of package loss, not our problem".

The only thing in my mind is to write a ticket to their e-mail (to give them some time, cause there're no chances to get proper help on phone).

Edited by GeorgeWhite

Same ****, same provider, i'm kinda sure it's their fault. However, i don't know how to prove it.

I started a thread on their forum (there was some person who confirmed he has the same problem, was that you btw?) providing it with following screenshots: tests to 159.153.72.252 ip:

and to 159.153.77.228 ip:

Both ips were taken from here (159.153.77.228 is for TRE server via "netstat -n -p tcp -b" command in cmd.

The guys on isp forums say smth like "you have the same ammount of packets sent/received on both ends".

I actually called to their CS like an hour ago and the dude just asked me to do the "ping" command via cmd to their server and then was like "yeah, you have 0% of package loss, not our problem".

The only thing in my mind is to write a ticket to their e-mail (to give them some time, cause there're no chances to get proper help on phone).

No, that wasn't me. I was looking for the same topics on provider's forum for some time and then sent a ticket to in-game CS. Some... Francois-Xavier suggested doing the simple diagnostics, with 'tracert' and 'pathping' commands for the IP, which is 159.153.72.252 (If you're playing on one of Europe's server). Sent them the files with the results 2 days ago or so, and still, no one responded.

Same here. From the beginning of 2017, every day, I can't login after 19:00 (Rome).

Playing kotet I have lag spikes,audio clipping, bad performances. After 19 no chance to login. Never happened before to me, and I'm here from day one :/

Same here. From the beginning of 2017, every day, I can't login after 19:00 (Rome).

Playing kotet I have lag spikes,audio clipping, bad performances. After 19 no chance to login. Never happened before to me, and I'm here from day one :/

And it means the problem is not in the provider. Thank you for responding.

Now I hope anyone from BW could see this and act properly.

And it means the problem is not in the provider. Thank you for responding.

Now I hope anyone from BW could see this and act properly.

He may have a different issue tbh. He whote "From the beginning of 2017, every day", and we have the issue for a week or so, first 2 weeks of january were more than fine.

I'll pm you the link to provider forum thread and some additional info in a few minutes.

• 2 years later...

Well, nobody ever replied to say it was solved, so it probably just cleared itself up.

These sorts of localized ping spikes are usually caused by a glitchy hub/router somewhere between you and the servers. If that's so, it should clear up soon when they repair/replace the hub/router.

(By "localized", I mean that the problem only affects individuals in a certain area, such as those two people in Moscow.)

I had the same problem. Suddenly I had extreme lags for weeks.

Before that I could play with 40 ms, now it wasn´t possible to play at prime time at all.

I contacted customer service, my provider and the owner of the "bad" server that was on the route to the swtor server.

The only one that helped me at all was swtor customer service by suggesting me to use a VPN program.

Everyone else just said its not their problem. And they've known the problem for years!

If you have lags, trace your route and show it to customer service.

In my case the bad route was the problem and that is something that swtor is not responsible for.

Use a VPN program (I use Pingzapper, works great) if the problem is your route.

Hope that helps :)

This thread began in 2017, so the issue isn't new to players, and the usual advice applies, and usually "lag spkes" are not just necessarily huge latency pings, when people bother to look, but background processes taking up resources, so I'll try to address as many causes of "lag" that come to mind. Many of these address chronic issues, not short-term seen lag spikes, but I'm including them anyway. Might as well dish up the whole cake.

1. Play on a wire not over the air.

2. Get a decent provider doing better than 20mbs up and down

3. Trace your internet hops as mentioned

4. Clean out old extraneous windows start-up programs that may be hampering performance by going to the net

5. Check your router to see if you're not seeing large DDOS attacks. Unplug the router for 10 minutes and try again.

6. Update the firmware in your router, even if you bought the router yesterday.

7. Activate your router's QOS (quality of service) and have it lean heavily toward gaming

8. If using Windows 10, consider giving it an enema by doing a non-destructive refresh (or destructive if you prefer)

9. While gaming, set your router to ignore any IOT (internet of things) devices like fridges and coffee makers

10. Run a deep scan with your anti-malware and anti-virus software

11. Several Microsoft updates have come all in a row lately. Trigger their downloads and get them out of the way

12. Java updater, CCleaner updater, and the like, run off to the net when they want. Remove from your startup

13. If the game is loaded on a traditional HDD rather than an SDD, consider optimizing the HDD

14. Is your nVidia, Radeon, or internal HP graphics driver up to date?

15. Kill any post-processing make-me-pretty graphics processes like nVidia's Freestyle or ReShade

16. Set up your antivirus program to roll over and play dead (or go to low-process mode) while you're gaming

17. Make sure your little brother's not streaming Antony and Cleopatra (a 3-hour 40 minute movie)

Edited by xordevoreaux