A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

Daemonson

Let me start straight with what they care about: YOU ARE LOSING MONEY. People are unsubbing left and right because of this and you are losing money. Fix this and you will make more money, easy as that.

Okay, now that that's said, lets get to the player problems.

1. People are more hostile towards new players in flashpoints.

Due to increased repair costs people are less forgiving of new players in flashpoints whose mistakes cause wipes. Instead of explaining the issues and working with the player people will just be kicked because nobody wants to pay 10k a wipe because of a single player.

2. Progression takes a hit.

Guilds will be less willing to wipe over and over again on bosses because of this. If a group wipes 20-30 times on a boss they can't kill it could cost nearly a million credits per player.

3. Casual players can't afford it.

If a person wants to only play a few hours a week and do some ops/HM's they have to spend most of their other time running dailies. Dailies are boring and grindy and nobody wants to spend half their time running them just to fund their other activities.

(Will update as I find more Issues)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two more for you:

An entire swath of experienced players who otherwise would have run multiple flash points per day, teaching new players how to be better in the process, are no longer running any flash points.

Players are cancelling their subscriptions.

As the raid leader for my guild I have suspended all operations until this issue is fixed.

Why?

We are casual players, we all have lives and simply cannot afford to raid with these costs.

None of us myself included have time to grind enough dailies in order to do it.

I'm not going to ask my people to do that.

Raiding is my favorite thing about the game, and you have taken that away from me.

Then you add insult to injury by giving us an event, with an item we have been screaming for

for months on end, but make it unobtainable.

All this posits the question.

Why should I continue to give you money?

Edited by DarthFamine
moar infermattiun!

As the leader of my guild

I say, run dailies, open a guild bank, deposit credits, help guild out.

But then again, I trust my guild

and a few thousand more credits isn't hurting my wallet.

Does no one realize this was a bug that has now been fixed?

As the leader of my guild I have done that as well. However it's not a matter of a few thousand more, its a matter of a few hundred thousand more across alot of players.

This sums it up I think

http://members.rjkgaming.com/948/rent1.jpg

Edited by DarthFamine
moar infermattiun!

Yes, I believe most people are aware it was a bug. But most also agree that the new status is untenable for an enjoyable game. Making people strive to succeed is one thing. Putting onerous costs on failure is different.

GM here as well, and it is not an issue for us. Essentially, the guild bank is available for repairs but everyone has a cap on how much they can use in repairs per week. That coupled with players diligently contributing to the bank on a weekly basis makes the repair costs a mild annoyance nothing more.

So... essentially, the guild and players are dividing up the hit and it isn't a huge deal at the moment.

Ops are running as scheduled.

Edited by Rafaman

Not everyone has a guild.

Not everyone in a guild has a guild leader as generous as or with as much time as you.

This doesn't just affect people doing dailies or flashpoints at 50. This affects endgame raiders to the tune of 100's of thousands of credits PER RAIDER PER RAID. This affects new players possibly so significantly that they may have to defer training of some skills for some levels.

So, yeah, great that it's no hassle for you. It's a hassle for a lot of people. Can you see beyond "you"?

Edited by DarthTHC

Let me start straight with what they care about: YOU ARE LOSING MONEY. People are unsubbing left and right because of this and you are losing money. Fix this and you will make more money, easy as that.

Okay, now that that's said, lets get to the player problems.

1. People are more hostile towards new players in flashpoints.

Due to increased repair costs people are less forgiving of new players in flashpoints whose mistakes cause wipes. Instead of explaining the issues and working with the player people will just be kicked because nobody wants to pay 10k a wipe because of a single player.

2. Progression takes a hit.

Guilds will be less willing to wipe over and over again on bosses because of this. If a group wipes 20-30 times on a boss they can't kill it could cost nearly a million credits per player.

3. Casual players can't afford it.

If a person wants to only play a few hours a week and do some ops/HM's they have to spend most of their other time running dailies. Dailies are boring and grindy and nobody wants to spend half their time running them just to fund their other activities.

(Will update as I find more Issues)

Also, this game has brought in RPG lovers who never played a MMO or had limited experience in a MMO, like ME and my wife.... So, now they put up a huge wall for a RPG lovers to have to hurdle to get into the MMO's parts... ug.

Wait people are complaining about repair costs NOW?

meanwhile being a progression raider with only 2 places to do dailies meant you got a solid 2 repairs in from yellow status before you were broke at launch because repairs were ~80k

OH NO TEH REPAIRS ARE LIKE 30K MAN!!!! THATS LIKE! A LOT

. This affects new players possibly so significantly that they may have to defer training of some skills for some levels.

So, yeah, great that it's no hassle for you. It's a hassle for a lot of people. Can you see beyond "you"?

As I understand it, the only change was that repair costs for oranges now properly reflect the enhancements, mods, armorings etc. in them. In other words, this affects new players not at all. Moreover, these aren't the days where people arrived at 50 broke and without speeder training 3 and their non-rotation skills untrained. Skill training is way cheaper than it used to be.

I get that this might discourage people from raiding, but it doesn't seem fair that social gear users should have to pay less than people wearing out of box end game gear. Also, the cost for anything black hole/campaign and lower will still be extremely trivial.

I have enough credits to pay for repairs for the next year at these rates. But the rates are stupid.

I'm arguing on behalf of the rookie to flashpoints who shows up in level-appropriate greens, who before this change would have been allowed to stay but now gets votekicked instantly after a gear check. Or the person who misclicks once in a flash point and gets votekicked.

I'm arguing on behalf of the new player who wants to craft as he levels up, but quickly finds he doesn't have enough money to pay for that big level of training (like 30) because he's spent so much on repairs without even noticing it.

I'm arguing on behalf of the people who want to raid in the game but don't have the time or patience or desire to WORK in a game just to get to the fun stuff.

I'm arguing to make the game better and more fun for a wide variety of players who aren't me, so this game can have more people enjoying it and live longer and grow and get better.

Someone has to do it, because EA sure as hell isn't.

Tell me... why do you think the in some cases 10-fold increase in repair costs is GOOD for the game?

I dont think your arguing I think your talking common sense, I also have enough bread to last so does not bother me either, but I am thinking of those that have limited time per evening or per week, I dont think some people realise that others have commitments and cant spend 30Hrs per week.

But i'm ok jack so dont matter, love that attitude.

2hours of hm ec with 3 new people equaled lots of wipes and almost a 300k repair bill, my guild does help with repair cost, but we are not a large guild. we can not afford to run an op and pay for everyone bills. Our credits are used to purchase mats, tip crafters and loans to guild members, not to provide an in game welfare system to brigde the gap of repair costs. please fix this bw.

Also agree with what is said above^^

Edited by Kailuchad

This was not a bug. They made it the way it used to be back in 1.2. It's in the notes. Go look. They made it cheep back then on purpose because repair costs were out of hand.

Edited by Halacs

Agreed. This massive increase in repair bills is way too high. I really cannot fathom the " logic" behind this as it has bene this way for about a year now..

Repair costs were fine where they were, this is way too much and even here at work, people are grumbling and saying they are going to move on as they just dont play enough ( in some cases ) to make it worth their while.

So either up the rewards costs for like space missions and heroics and dailies or put the repairs back where they have been for almost a year.

Most people dont really want to spend an hour or 2 running the same tired thing over and over just to pay for a repair bill and one l;ag spike or disco now can invalidate several dailes.

Realy poor judgement in my opinion Bioware

This was not a bug. They made it the way it used to be back in 1.2. It's in the notes. Go look. They made it cheep back then on purpose because repair costs were out of hand.

From the patch notes:

"Item sell values and item repair costs now reflect the value of the items and any enhancements attached to them. Previously, items were incorrectly being valued without their enhancements."

Sounds like a bug to me.

As I understand it, the only change was that repair costs for oranges now properly reflect the enhancements, mods, armorings etc. in them. In other words, this affects new players not at all. Moreover, these aren't the days where people arrived at 50 broke and without speeder training 3 and their non-rotation skills untrained. Skill training is way cheaper than it used to be.

I get that this might discourage people from raiding, but it doesn't seem fair that social gear users should have to pay less than people wearing out of box end game gear. Also, the cost for anything black hole/campaign and lower will still be extremely trivial.

This affects new players. I have a 29 Shadow (tank) in orange gear. In that orange gear, I have level-appropriate armoring, mods, and enhancements. One death cost me a few hundred before the patch . Now it costs me almost 9,000. Tell me, what player who just started the game and has ONE level 29 character can afford 9,000 per death? They can certainly get the gear by doing the heroic planetary quests and flash points...

Tell me, why do you think in some cases players should pay only a tenth of the repair costs that other players do in the same gear?

Normally I'd reiterate my request for you to answer my question before I answer yours...

I've never seen any reports of players paying 10x what others do for repairing the same level gear with the same level of damage, so I don't really buy your point?

Now please answer my question. Why is this change good for the game? Please keep in mind that it affects all players at all levels; don't just limit your answer to a specific, small subset of the players, please.

Edited by DarthTHC

Tell me, why do you think in some cases players should pay only a tenth of the repair costs that other players do in the same gear?

Why is the solution to raise repair costs for everyone rather than lowering it to the same level for everyone?

Alternatively, a solution to this thing is to have trash mobs in all of the ops drop credits like they do in Asation. My raid team cleared TFB last night for the first time last night and despite being in full BH and some 27s, and wiping on the Terror a few times while learning the mechanics, the credits dropped, stuff bioanalyzed, stabilizers, etc more than paid for the repair costs. The problem is where trash doesnt drop anything at all. Of course, I dont think Bioware would consider this because this repair cost issue seems very much to be intentional in order to drain credits from the game economy.

and back when it was changed originally they stated they were dropping that exact cost off because it was too high.

most likely a new guy fixed what he perceived as an error without looking into the past patch notes on the subject.

from the 1.2 patch notes

Modifiable items now have repair costs based on the level of their base modification.

"bug" or not....when it is in palce that long for so long...it becomes a "feature".

If this "bug" was fixed a year ago...many many players would noit have stuck with the game as learnign new content etc would become prohibitive .

Can you imagine what it going to be like with Makeb if this is not corrected and the costs most will incur learnign new content over 5 new levels?

Already last nigth I peronsally saw 2 cases where people were kicking people and just leavign their gfinder groups because a new person caused an accidental wipe and people were not sticking around for more then one try

This affects new players. I have a 29 Shadow (tank) in orange gear. In that orange gear, I have level-appropriate armoring, mods, and enhancements. One death cost me a few hundred before the patch . Now it costs me almost 9,000. Tell me, what player who just started the game and has ONE level 29 character can afford 9,000 per death? They can certainly get the gear by doing the heroic planetary quests and flash points...

Normally I'd reiterate my request for you to answer my question before I answer yours...

I've never seen any reports of players paying 10x what others do for repairing the same level gear with the same level of damage, so I don't really buy your point?

Now please answer my question. Why is this change good for the game? Please keep in mind that it affects all players at all levels; don't just limit your answer to a specific, small subset of the players, please.

Well then there's either a new and unintentional bug that has been introduced, or the number you threw out is complete BS. I just went on my level 36 sniper and did a test PvE death, just a tad bit over 1k, which is about what he earns from killing a few mob groups.

You claim that people who are now paying what others have been paying all along are paying 10x what they were before. The logical corollary is that these people were paying 10x less than what everyone else was at the time.

As I have yet to see evidence of change to repair costs for lower level characters, I refute at least a portion of your question. End Game gear, its unreasonable to expect people to pay different repair prices based on whether or not they wear social gear.

Well then there's either a new and unintentional bug that has been introduced, or the number you threw out is complete BS. I just went on my level 36 sniper and did a test PvE death, just a tad bit over 1k, which is about what he earns from killing a few mob groups.

Let's compare apples to apples, please?

What is your sniper's gear? Which are his orange, modded pieces? What level mods do you have in them?

On my Shadow, I have orange gear in every slot down the right side plus weapon, offhand, and bracers. Every trinket in every piece requires level 25-29 to equip. No pieces have augment slots or, obviously, augments.

If your Sniper is not similarly equipped with 8 orange, moddable pieces of gear with level-appropriate items in every slot, your test is interesting but insufficient to call BS on my experiences.

Edited by DarthTHC