Shoulder cannon being useless

PanVandemar

I just tested on dummy my dps vanguard and noticed that shoulder cannon does less than 3% of total dmg. Is that super new skill that all clases got in new update ? Vanguards got nerfed in last update dps wise and aditionally got useless crap instead of a new skill.

It doesnt matter which dps spec assault ot tactics. In assault cannon is absolutely useless and in tactics is less useless if you invest points to it. But who would give his points to increase by few percent dmg of skill that doesnt do any dmg at all? Only use for it is in tank spec as it heals a little.

It doesnt matter which dps spec assault ot tactics. In assault cannon is absolutely useless and in tactics is less useless if you invest points to it. But who would give his points to increase by few percent dmg of skill that doesnt do any dmg at all? Only use for it is in tank spec as it heals a little.

Exactly. :(

I'm Assault and tend to almost never use it. I'll activate it and just never fire off a single rocket during the 5 minute period because it just seems so lackluster. The mechanic is also really cluncky and as Assault there just is no incentive to use it.

Its off the GCD which means you use it every time its up and it won't slow down or block your other attacks.

Completely free damage which can also be used while CC'd.

I understand that. I just can't seem to get into the habit of pressing an extra button after every other "GCD consuming attack". When I have made a conscious effort to do so, the effect appears to have been negligible (mobs don't die faster because of it).

I understand that in PvP it get's a lot more use. But for PvE (as Assault)... it is... useless... for lack of a better term.

I understand that. I just can't seem to get into the habit of pressing an extra button after every other "GCD consuming attack". When I have made a conscious effort to do so, the effect appears to have been negligible (mobs don't die faster because of it).

I understand that in PvP it get's a lot more use. But for PvE (as Assault)... it is... useless... for lack of a better term.

It may feel negligible but: it's more damage than you would normally do. At no other cost than a couple of clicks. As a DPS class that STRICTLY an improvement. It may feel not great, but it's still something worth using. Same as electro net for commandos... Basically "useless" in pve except as a damage add. BUT, it IS good in that regard, so good that the best dps parses have electro net used on cooldown.

Completely free damage that is off the GCD and it is useless simply because you are too lazy to hit another button?

Operations often miss enrage timers by mere seconds and wipe with the boss under 1%. That little bit of damage that you choose to not put out can be the difference between a wipe and a kill.

So the skill is not useless by any means. It is only useless in your particular play style.

Edited by Doulo

It may feel negligible but: it's more damage than you would normally do. At no other cost than a couple of clicks. As a DPS class that STRICTLY an improvement. It may feel not great, but it's still something worth using. Same as electro net for commandos... Basically "useless" in pve except as a damage add. BUT, it IS good in that regard, so good that the best dps parses have electro net used on cooldown.

Completely free damage that is off the GCD and it is useless simply because you are too lazy to hit another button?

Operations often miss enrage timers by mere seconds and wipe with the boss under 1%. That little bit of damage that you choose to not put out can be the difference between a wipe and a kill.

So the skill is not useless by any means. It is only useless in your particular play style.

Noted! I suck at using "Shoulder Cannon" :).

Question: How do you guys use it? (Remember: this is from a PvE perspective.)

• Where do you have "Shoulder Cannon" bound so that you use it after every "normal" attack? Or do you click it?
  • Do you start to use it as soon as you activate it? (In other words: as soon as a missile is loaded, you use it then wait 15 seconds (I believe this is the time between loading) and use the next one?)
  • Do you wait until all missiles are loaded and then use them all during a "burst phase"?

How do you do use it?

Dmg out of GCD is nice thing but it would have to be dmg worth of mentioning. Of course i use the cannon and have no problems click it during my skills rotation but just find it so little that is what makes is useless. If i compare it to the shadows teleport or sages immortality for certain time it seems more like a joke.

• Where do you have "Shoulder Cannon" bound so that you use it after every "normal" attack? Or do you click it?
  • Do you start to use it as soon as you activate it? (In other words: as soon as a missile is loaded, you use it then wait 15 seconds (I believe this is the time between loading) and use the next one?)
  • Do you wait until all missiles are loaded and then use them all during a "burst phase"?

How do you do use it?

As someone who does have a 55 Assault VG, but no VG cred on the forums, I know my input will probably be taken with a grain of salt or two.

From a purely PvE perspective, it's very situational for me. I've finally been able to train myself to load it at the start of a boss pull. For the most part I don't have a set point when I use it, but I do try and burn through them as fast as I can. Just so I can get the cool-down to start again and maybe fire off 2-3 sets during a fight.

I find myself using it either:

A. 1,2,3,4 in quick succession if I've gone a little low on my ammo management (e.g after a burn phase) and I need to get my regen up a level or two.

B. Even though it's off the GCD, as a filler attack while ionic accelerator is on CD.

C. As free damage when I'm under control. Free damage when I'm stunned or flying through the air is better than standing there.

I do have it bound, but I find myself clicking it to activate it. Something about it automatically being ready again makes it seem like I can click it faster than I could pushing a key.

Overall, I don't think it's as awesome ability as some of the other new abilities (Saber Reflect/Double Saber Throw) but like people have said it's free damage. It's a bit clunky, and it being off the GCD, I find it harder to find a place for it, but I like it more so than not.

How do you do use it?

The loading time is not 15 sec. It may take that long to load all of the missiles, but you can unleash one as soon as it is loaded. What I did on the PTS was bind the shoulder cannon to my mouse wheel up. I never have to adjust my camera as a dps so that is free to use.

The loading time is not 15 sec. It may take that long to load all of the missiles, but you can unleash one as soon as it is loaded. What I did on the PTS was bind the shoulder cannon to my mouse wheel up. I never have to adjust my camera as a dps so that is free to use.

You're quite right: it doesn't take 15 seconds to load missiles (it just felt like it ;)).

I just timed it. Activation loads 1 missile, and the next missiles are loaded at the 6s, 12s and 18s mark. So a total of 18s to load all 4 missiles. This for an Assault build.

From reading the description of "Charged Loaders", it would appear that for Tactics it is: Activation loads 4 missiles, and the next 3 missiles are then loaded at 6s intervals just like in Assault. (It would be nice if a Tactics VG could confirm that this is in fact how it works.)

here's a couple of tips.. if you pvp load it when you're at the spawn point.. it'll be fully loaded when you get out.

as soon as you have 1 loaded you can fire it (no need to wait for them all to be loaded)

use them at the same time as you use your big hitters and you have just increased your damage

if used right it's a good addition to the class.. but most people seem to be clueless to how this works.. read the frigging tool tip and try again.

here's a couple of tips.. if you pvp load it when you're at the spawn point.. it'll be fully loaded when you get out.

as soon as you have 1 loaded you can fire it (no need to wait for them all to be loaded)

use them at the same time as you use your big hitters and you have just increased your damage

if used right it's a good addition to the class.. but most people seem to be clueless to how this works.. read the frigging tool tip and try again.

Please just test this skill on dummy. I used it with adrenals and crit buff skill... still it does less then 3% of overal damage. Its is really so damn weak. (I dont consider 3% dmg boost to be a gamechanger -especially when my dmg dropped so drastically after last update.)

Please just test this skill on dummy. I used it with adrenals and crit buff skill... still it does less then 3% of overal damage. Its is really so damn weak. (I dont consider 3% dmg boost to be a gamechanger -especially when my dmg dropped so drastically after last update.)

the thing is that you can use it pretty much at the same time as you use other abilities.. on it's own it is pretty pathetic but when you combine it with other abilities it does have a pretty good impact..sure they could lower the cooldown on it... that would'nt hurt.. but from what i've seen so far most people just cant figure out how to use this thing.

The use depends on the fight; I generally go for burst mode so that I am used to coupling it with other cds.

As far as preferring phase walk on shadows, go read their forums and you will see that they are rather mixed about their new ability too.

I PVE and PVP a ton on my Vanguard and find it ok but not the most amazing of new skills obviously lol. Basically have 3 uses for it, just my perspective to share:

#1) PVP Burst - use it on CD everytime when opening up on a target, especially if I'm so bold as to attempt taking down a healer in the current state of affairs with healing and VG burst.

#2) PVP Defender - save it for node defense, only using it when CC'd and someone attempts to try and take a node in 6s/8s. I'll fire off a rocket towards the later part of their cast which is usually when most of the CC is nearly broken and I didn't need to pop my CC breaker. Bonus.

#3) PVE Burst - use it at the start of a boss fight and every 1.5 minutes after. I have a macro that when pressed automatically presses my single-fire keybind on a 1.1s delay, all 4 go off perfectly and even if it's 3% is a nice boost.

Edited by KamikazeKommando

How do you do use it?

I have it bound to my Alt+1 key, also I use it before every burst phase *basically when I hit my boundless ages relic* and I weave it into my normal rotation. Hit an ability hit alt+1, waiting 1.5 sec any way might as well hit an extra key.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I spent sometime playing around with this yesterday.

In solo-play it is pretty much too much overhead to track. Especially when fighting multiple strongs/elites or a champion where survivability is key. (At least for me ;).)

In group play it becomes simpler to use. Since I'm not being attacked, I just have to worry about doing damage. Here I was able to fit Shoulder Cannon in quite easily. (I end up clicking it. It was just easier for me. Might try the ALT+1 tip though as that seems doable ;).)

Didn't PvP, but I can imagine uses for it there.

I just wish that Assault had a talent boosting Shoulder Cannon like the other 2 specs. ;)

Thanks again for the tips.

I like Shoulder Cannon. I like the mechanic which basically allows a more skilled player to add more damage/burst. The problem is that you get that mechanic for 6 seconds and then lose it for 90 seconds. 7 missiles should be standard for the class and AP should have it boosted to 10 missiles if the pick the skill boost.

They could do any number of things to improve this ability:

Increase range to 20 or 30 yards.

Load missiles continuously, at a slower rate, until they have all been used, allowing you to choose between some steady dps or short term burst. This would make it interesting and unique.

Lower the cooldown to 60 or 45 or even 30.

They could do any number of things to improve this ability:

Increase range to 20 or 30 yards.

Load missiles continuously, at a slower rate, until they have all been used, allowing you to choose between some steady dps or short term burst. This would make it interesting and unique.

Lower the cooldown to 60 or 45 or even 30.

Yeah, I just got the ability and so far it's seems pretty crappy and definitely needs a buff.