This can't be true, can it? - TOR Has 350k Concurrent Players; Minimal impact on WOW

DeaconX

Source: http://furiousfanboys.com/2012/01/tor-has-350k-concurrent-players-and-minimal-impact-on-wow/

Can't be right...right?

"After only a couple weeks online, the news for The Old Republic has gone from good to bad. Following some drama over the weekend, news has come out that after one week on the UK charts the game dropped from #10 to #38. Now the analysts are stepping in and while they see a healthy MMO market, they don’t think that TOR is hurting WoW at all:

Baird Equity estimates that the game has peak concurrent users of roughly 350,000 players.

According to analysts at Cowen and Company the uptake of The Old Republic has had “minimal apparent impact” on Blizzard and Activision’s market-leading World of Warcraft.

Hopefully things pick up and the concurrent player base grows, otherwise the game will become like Warhammer Online in a few months."

Definition of CONCURRENT

1: operating or occurring at the same time

2a : running parallel b : convergent; specifically : meeting or intersecting in a point

3: acting in conjunction

4: exercised over the same matter or area by two different authorities <concurrent jurisdiction>

Considering the game sold like hot-cakes and IS much better than anything currently out there (at least in my experience) ... 350k concurrently at PEAK times or what? who knows *shrug* I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

Edited by DeaconX

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

even if true which i doubt since the numbers come from an unofficial source which is unreliable at best. they are still talking about CONCURRENT users not total users. WOW may have 11 millions subscriptions but they don't have 11 million concurrent users. Not everyone that is subbed plays at the same times so only a given percentage of the population plays at certain parts of the day. Also certain timze zones could be more popular they could be say 350k conccurent users during the UK prime time while here in the US it could be double. my guess is as good as theirs.

In the end it is just a guess

Funny thing about TOR "dropping" sales in the UK. EVERY game higher than it on the list is a console or SP game.

TOR is still the top selling MMO in the UK.

350K concurrent players isn't too shabby to be honest.

Lol. That's almost like saying ToR is the best selling game with a Star Wars theme. The majority of the other MMO's have been out for ages, of course it will be selling more than them.

350k concurrent users...World of Warcraft didn't have 350k REGISTERED ACCOUNTS at launch.

That's a fricken awesome number. Heck, WoW didn't gain their first Million Registered accounts until like 8months after the game launched. Most MMOs nowadays don't even launch with more than 100k subs.

TOR has set the new bar. All these naysayers are just jealous.

just wait until people actually have to pay to play this game. so that number should start to tank fairly quickly.

but yeah, I've seen approximate similar number thrown around in the investment community so not too far off.

The game will be a Warhammer Clone in terms of subs it seems - I am just nervious that after the first month and the game drops in subs - you will start to see the cries for server merges.

And that is when it gets very scary!

It's not about "beating" WoW. It's NEVER been about "beating" WoW. It's about making a profit. 350k concurrent users at $15/month is 5.25 million dollars a MONTH. And that's just concurrent users, who represent maybe a quarter (I could be wrong on that, just a guesstimate) of the total subscriber population, so a conservative guess is they're pulling in 15 million a month in subscriptions (making generous leeway for people who drop after free month). I won't even begin to speculate on what the costs inherent to running this game are, I work for a software company that runs most of our stuff in a hosted environment and I know we spend ungodly amounts of money to keep everything running, but $15 million a month is nothing to sneer at.

350k concurrent users...World of Warcraft didn't have 350k REGISTERED ACCOUNTS at launch.

That's a fricken awesome number. Heck, WoW didn't gain their first Million Registered accounts until like 8months after the game launched. Most MMOs nowadays don't even launch with more than 100k subs.

TOR has set the new bar. All these naysayers are just jealous.

no mmo, including WOW didn't have a $300 million budget either. you're leaving out some important numbers there to call swtor as setting a new bar. Maybe more of a lesson for other companies in what NOT to do.

Concurrent users <> subscribers.

Typically, between 10-15% of a game's subscribers are logged on at any given time. EVE has about 330k subs, but nowadays I only see between 30k-40k logged on.

I said before release I'd be surprised if they had 500k subs after six months. I still stand by that.

Source: http://furiousfanboys.com/2012/01/tor-has-350k-concurrent-players-and-minimal-impact-on-wow/

Can't be right...right?

"After only a couple weeks online, the news for The Old Republic has gone from good to bad. Following some drama over the weekend, news has come out that after one week on the UK charts the game dropped from #10 to #38. Now the analysts are stepping in and while they see a healthy MMO market, they don’t think that TOR is hurting WoW at all:

Baird Equity estimates that the game has peak concurrent users of roughly 350,000 players.

According to analysts at Cowen and Company the uptake of The Old Republic has had “minimal apparent impact” on Blizzard and Activision’s market-leading World of Warcraft.

Hopefully things pick up and the concurrent player base grows, otherwise the game will become like Warhammer Online in a few months."

Considering the game sold like hot-cakes and IS much better than anything currently out there (at least in my experience) I'm taking this with a grain of salt...

Uh, they fail to mention and conveniently so that those UK numbers do not include digital sales, only hard box sales. SWTOR's digital sales are however through the roof because not everyone needs to have a hard copy.

OP, and everyone else, learn to read. 350k concurrent means there are only 350k people online at the same time... but the actual user base is around 1.5 million. You do realize the EU and USA are pretty far apart when it comes to timezones, right?

People work and play at different times.

Edited by Spaghetti_Ninja

no mmo, including WOW didn't have a $300 million budget either. you're leaving out some important numbers there to call swtor as setting a new bar. Maybe more of a lesson for other companies in what NOT to do.

SWTOR did not have a 300 million budge either, that was a false rumor. The only numbers that EA has put out about dev costs is 80 million

Here is a definition of concurrent for you.

Definition of CONCURRENT

1: operating or occurring at the same time

2a : running parallel b : convergent; specifically : meeting or intersecting in a point

3: acting in conjunction

4: exercised over the same matter or area by two different authorities <concurrent jurisdiction>

Concurrent does not mean all subscriptions. 350k concurrent players is huge.

The analysts you mentioned are not analysts if they don't know what this means. They are intertards.

Can't be right...right?

Considering the game sold like hot-cakes and IS much better than anything currently out there (at least in my experience) I'm taking this with a grain of salt...

Thats sales in the UK?

When did the UK include NA?

Edited by Amiracle